Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Lasting Impressions

A Compromise

by killxsmile 2 reviews

They patch things up.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2009-02-11 - Updated: 2009-02-12 - 879 words - Complete

1Original
Author's Note: Since it's a 5-day weekend, it would be a sin not to update.

kviciousbenji: Aww, thanks for the review. I think that's the first time that someone has called me witty.

HellOnHigh9: Here's your update, yo.

Tissamy: You're probably one of my faaavorite people on ficwad. Thanks for all of your support. Everybody reading this owes you mad props because your reviews have kept me updating.

Now onto the story...

A compromise.

As I stepped outside of the brick prison also known as Barnaby’s Family Restaurant, a sigh of relief escaped my lips. Surviving a day of waiting tables always felt like an accomplishment. With a half-hearted smile, I took out my keys and headed toward the parking lot. To my surprise, Jack was there waiting for me.

“Hey,” I awkwardly greeted him. As you remember, the last time we’d talked, I was explaining sordid details of my sex life. “What’s up, Jack?”
“Listen, I know we didn’t exactly leave things on a good note last week…”

Understatement of the year.

“…But I want to make things right.”
“How do you suppose we do this? And before you say anything, I’m not breaking up with Eric.” He cringed at the mention of his name, but quickly regained his composure.
“How about coffee at Mather’s Café?” I skewed my mouth to the side and shot him a skeptical look.
“It’s a start.”
“Cool.”
“I don’t wanna come back for it, so I’ll follow you in my car.” He nodded, and quickly led the way out of the parking lot.

Within 5 minutes, we were both in front of the tiny café. I stepped out of my car, then in an uncharacteristically polite fashion, Jack opened the door for me.

Wow, he’s really trying.

“Hello, welcome to Mather’s. What would you like today?” asked a bubbly girl from behind the counter. I’d guessed she had one too many espressos. Either that, or she used to work at the Disney store.
“Umm, I’ll have a large vanilla latte and a blueberry muffin,” he said, drumming his fingers against the counter. “What about you, Chloe?”
“A cup of Chai tea and a slice of carrot cake.”
“That’ll be $10.76,” she replied with a cheerful smile.

I took out my wallet, but Jack quickly brushed my hand away and paid for the both of us. Since there weren’t a lot of customers, our order was filled rather quickly.

We took seats at a booth in the back and ate in semi-awkward silence.

“So…” he spoke up after taking a few long sips of his latte.
“Yeah…”
“I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions about Eric,” he blurted out. “It’s just…After seeing the pot, I kind of freaked. Eric seemed nice enough, but I couldn’t get it out of my head that he was…I don’t know…corrupting you or something.”
“Corrupting me? Jack, I’m pretty sure you got that covered when you gave me my first drink. And that was back in 7th grade.”
“I know. It sounds really stupid now that I think about it…”

I took a sip of my Chai tea, and smiled. As annoying as his over protectiveness could be, it was nice to know that he cared.

“So what do you see in this guy, anyways?” he asked, emptying packets of Sweet ‘n’ Low onto the table.
“Why do you ask?” I said, tossing him another packet of the sugar substitute. He ripped it open and added to the growing pile of white on the table. After tracing a smiley face into it with his finger, he looked up at me.
“You’re ADD when it comes to guys. I’m just wondering what makes this Eric dude so special.”
“Well he can make me laugh without trying, he’s not clingy, and he really likes me.”
“You forgot to mention that he’s an animal in the sack,” he said, smirking.
“Shut up!” I said, throwing a packet at his face. He laughed, then flicked the packet back at me.
“What, it’s true, isn’t it?”

I rolled my eyes as blood rushed to my cheeks.

“You always have to make things awkward, don’t you?” I asked.
“It’s what I’m best at,” he proudly said.
"So..." I said, trying to steer the conversation to the task at hand. "Things are cool between us?”
“You and me, yes. Me and pothead, not exactly,” he said. “If Eric’s into weed, it’s not my business. If you’re into weed--as much as I hate the idea--it’s not my business, either. Just don’t do anything overly reckless ‘cause if I stop by and you’re snorting lines or shooting up, I swear to God I’ll break his neck.”
“Alright. I’ll take what I can get.”

To seal the deal, he offered me a bite of his muffin and I offered him a bite of my carrot cake. And just like that, all was well in the world.

+++++
So Jack's cool with it. Kind of, not really.
What does this mean for Eric and Chloe?
Rate/Review and you just might find out.
;)
Sign up to rate and review this story