Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Press Play

all you need is love

by killxsmile 3 reviews

Things just go downhill from here.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2009-02-13 - Updated: 2009-02-14 - 1624 words

1Ambiance
Author's Note: I'm really note sure where I'm going with this...

xStabxMyxBackx: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!
xx_eddi_xx: I'm glad you like my writing. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

FIVE: all you need is love

J U L I E T

Perched upon the kitchen counter, I flipped through the channels and searched for something that would spark my attention.

News. News. Motivational speaker’s series. Plastic surgery of the stars. Televangelist. Re-run of Seinfeld.

With a sigh, I settled for a Korean game show.

“Honey, I’m home!” Lacey announced, tossing her keys onto the small table next to the door. They slid across the wood surface and came to a stop just before reaching the edge.
“How was work?” By the mischievous smirk on her usually exhausted face, I could tell something was up.
“Oh nothing…”

Uh huh. Like I’m going to fall for that. She took off her coat and hung it inside the closet without saying a word.

“What?” she asked, unwrapping herself from the Gryffindor scarf around her neck. I lifted an eyebrow and tried to decipher her actions.

Absence of sarcasm. Goofy grin. Rosy cheeks that weren’t due to the cold. All signs pointed to one thing.

“You met someone, didn’t you?” I asked.
“More like re-met someone,” she said, flopping onto the couch. “He was at the Kill Hannah show the other day.”
“Looks like you got a new heart for Christmas,” I said, singing the last half of the sentence. She smiled, then directed her attention to the middle-aged Koreans on the television screen. They were trying to play telephone while wearing oddly shaped earmuffs.

Just as I hopped off the counter to join her, the phone started ringing. I stopped in my tracks and picked up the receiver.

“Hello?”
“Jules? It’s Cam,” he slurred. “Can I come over?” By the music playing in the background, I assumed that he was at a club.
“Babe, it doesn‘t sound like you‘re in the condition to drive.”
“I only had a few shots, I swear…” Yeah right. It sounded like he was about to puke into the phone.
“Just stay put, I’ll come and get you,” I said, putting on my coat.
“Okayyy… I’m at Excalibur.”
“I’ll be there in 20 minutes.”
“Thanks... Love you.”

I hung up and sighed. This wasn’t the first time that I had to play chauffer because he was too wasted to get home. And it probably wouldn’t be the last.

“Where are you going?” Lacey asked, turning around.
“I have to pick Cameron up.” I slipped on my beat up Chucks and grabbed my keys..
“Juliet, you shouldn’t have to put up with his shit.” I looked up at her and was met with sympathetic eyes.
“I know…” I whispered, barely audible.

I could feel her watching as I walked out of the apartment and shut the door behind me.

As I made my way down the hall, I passed a couple lingering in a doorway, sharing a goodbye kiss. I couldn’t remember the last time Cameron and I had done the same.

Arriving at the elevator, I pressed the down arrow and waited for the familiar ding! sound. Within a minute or so, the metal doors slid open and I stepped inside.

Since I was alone, the descent was silent, other than the sound of my breathing. Reaching the lobby, I quickly made my way out of the building.

Chicago winds stung my cheeks as I walked toward the yellow sedan. Opening the driver’s side, a single tear escaped the corner of my eye.

This is going to be a long night.

After warming up the car, I slowly pulled into traffic and found myself on an all too familiar route to an all too familiar club. Sadly, this was an all too familiar situation.

There wasn’t much of a line outside, so I quickly paid my cover charge and headed toward the usual spot. As expected, I found Cameron slumped over the bar.

“Cam,” I said pressing my hand against his shoulder. Music blared, and I wasn’t sure he could hear me. It took a few seconds, but he lifted his head and turned toward me. “Jules…”

I leaned closer to him and placed an arm around his shoulder. He mimicked my actions as he got to his feet.

While “Low” pulsated off the walls, we weaved our way through the crowd and back to my car. I carefully guided him into the passenger’s side. Before I had the chance to buckle him in, he pushed me out of the way and emptied the contents of his stomach onto the pavement.

“Sorry…”

I took some napkins out of the glove compartment and handed them over before strapping his seatbelt on. He quickly wiped his mouth, then discarded the paper towels onto the curb. After closing his door, I walked over to the other side and slipped into the driver’s seat.

Cameron rested his head against the window while I began the drive to his apartment.

As I reached the first intersection, snow began to fall upon the windshield. While I slowed down, brake lights of the car in front of me illuminated everything in red. Red could mean a lot of things. Love. Hate. Stop. Danger. Red seemed to define my relationship with Cameron. Glancing over at him, I wondered if the boy I fell for was still somewhere underneath the alcohol.

Movement in traffic signaled that the light had turned green, taking me away from my thoughts.

Within 15 minutes, I found myself parked in front of his apartment complex.

“Cam, wake up,” I said, opening his door. His eyelids fluttered open and he sloppily unbuckled his seatbelt. I helped him out of the car and somehow managed to close the door behind him. With a high pitched beep! beep! I locked the door and made my way toward the brick building.

Ignoring the stares we received, I guided him to the elevator, then up to his apartment. Approaching the door, he fished around his pocket and pulled out the keys. Miss. Miss. Miss. The numerous scratches on the doorknob served as a testament to his nights of drinking. I sighed as he pounded on the wall in frustration. Startled by the commotion, a middle-aged woman down the hall hurried her children inside their apartment.

“Fucking shit!” he slurred, kicking the wall.

After 10 new dents in the frame and 5 or so scratches on the doorknob, he successfully unlocked the door.

He tossed his keys to the floor then quickly found his way to the bedroom.

“Thanks, Juliet,” he mumbled, before collapsing onto the mattress. “Love you…”

When those words left his lips, it was similar to the vomit he expelled onto the sidewalk— involuntary and mindless. He didn’t need to put any thought into the statement. Call it a gag reflex.

All you need is love. All you need is love. All you need is love, love. Love is all you need…

If my ringtone wasn’t ironic timing, I don’t know what is. Sighing, I pulled the small device from my pocket and saw that it was Lacey.

“Hey, Lace.”
“Did you get to Cameron’s alright?”
“Yeah, but I‘m heading back home now…”
“Okay,“ she said, relief apparent in her voice. ”See you soon.”
“Bye.”
“Bye.”

I slipped the phone back into my pocket, and took a seat on the side of his bed.

“I don‘t know how much more of this I can take, Cam,” I quietly said, taking his hand into mine. He gently squeezed back before turning onto his side.

Knowing that he would have a hangover from hell, I put a glass of water and a bottle of aspirin next to his bed.

I let myself out of the apartment, locking the door behind me. His neighbors gave me sympathetic looks as a tear slipped down my cheek. This scene wasn’t new to them, but I guess it was still disheartening.

“She deserves so much better,” I heard an elderly woman whisper to her husband.

This is what most would call ‘the walk of shame.’

Arriving at my own apartment, I was greeted by Lacey. Her facial expression screamed a combination of pity and ’you should dump his sorry ass.’

“Juliet—” she started.
“I’m going to bed,” I said, hanging up my coat. She put her hand on my shoulder preventing me from going anywhere.
“You really need to stop this…” I bit my lip as tears welled in the corners of my eyes.

I felt like screaming. Not at her, but at myself.
For falling into this cycle.
For taking all of this shit in silence.
For loving Cameron even though he doesn‘t feel the same way.

I was by no means religious, but lines from the first book of Corinthians came to mind:

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does to seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love is the opposite of what Cameron and I had. And contrary to popular belief, it isn’t hate.
It’s indifference. Apathy. Not caring.

I sank to the floor as tears slipped down my cheeks.

“Jules…”

Lacey took a seat allowing me to cry into her shoulder.

It was definitely a long night.

+++++
And the plot thickens.
Just remember that reviews = updates.
Sign up to rate and review this story