Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Lasting Impressions

Wasted Youth

by killxsmile 4 reviews

He won't blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2009-03-01 - Updated: 2009-03-01 - 1879 words - Complete

2Original
Author's Note: Hootie hoo! It looks like this story is finally picking up some speed.

daisybet: Someday there will be an ATL section. Someday...

somethingorother: I think mooching is a trait on the Y chromosome. lol.

Tissamy: Is it strange that I like it when people quote me to me?

MCR8050: No threats this time around? Drat. Well, I hope you like this chapter.

And here we go...

Wasted youth.

A warm breeze softly blew across my cheek as I leaned over the hotel balcony. The quiet hum of music from inside the party was broken by the sound of a door sliding open and shut.

“What’s a pretty girl like you doing out here all alone?” asked a voice with a British accent.
“Just getting some air,” I replied, shrugging.
“Mind if I join you?”
“Not at all.”

Without a word, his arms slipped around my waist and his lips pressed against the side of my neck--

Where are you now? As I’m swimming through the stereo, I’m writing you a symphony of sound. Where are you now? As I rearrange--

“Ugh…”

I angrily pounded my pillow upon realizing that I was not at an Italian resort partying with Ed Westwick. Instead I was in my bed, cell phone ringing underneath my pillow.

“Hello?” I said, frustrated. It was my first good dream in a really long time, and a trivial phone call had cut it short.
“Chloe, I--” was all I could make out over the laughter and loud music in the background.
“What?”
“It’s Jack--”
“And Alex!” I faintly heard in the background.
“We’re uh… kinda, umm, wasted, so could you pick us up?” he giggled/slurred.
“Fuck.”

I sat up on the edge of my bed and sighed.

“Where are you?”
“The uh--Alex, what’s it called again?”
“Enclave,” he loudly replied.
“Alright. I’ll be there in 15 minutes.”
“Okay. Bye.”

If I still had a cast on my wrist, I would have an excuse not to go. But with the fracture fully healed, I was obligated to play chauffeur for the drunken duo.

With extreme reluctance, I got dressed and started my car. According to the clock in my dashboard, it was 2 fucking 45 in the morning.

“God…” I muttered, pulling into traffic.

For the second time that week, I was stuck playing the role of hangover nurse.

When I got to the bar, Jack and Alex were laughing and stumbling around on the pavement. I rolled my eyes then rolled down the passenger’s side window.

“Dumb and dumber, get in the car,” I called out.
“Oh man, I think she’s mad,” Alex said approaching the door.
“I’m not mad,” I groggily replied as he slipped into the passenger’s seat. “Just really tired.”
“We’re sorry…”
“It’s fine. Don’t worry about it.”
“Thanks, Chloe,” Jack slurred, laying across the backseat. “You’re the best sister ever…”

The ride back to my apartment was silent, other than my brother’s occasional mumbling in his sleep.

“Okay, we’re here,” I said, shifting the car into park. With some help from Alex, I was able to wake my brother and get him into the elevator.

Eventually, the three of us made it to my apartment. Once inside, Jack passed out on the couch. Alex, on the other hand, followed me like a shadow as I set up a cot in the living room.

“Why can’t I just sleep with you?” he asked, wrapping me in a hug from behind.

Ignoring him, I pulled some pillows out from under my brother’s legs and set them on the cot.

“C’mon, please?”
“Alex, why do you always do this?”
“Do what?” he asked, kissing the back of my neck.
“Act like a lovesick moron when you’re drunk?”
“Can I tell you a secret?” he asked.
“Yeah, sure.”
“I like you,” he replied.

I rolled my eyes at his comment and continued setting up his makeshift bed. Then with a sigh, I unwrapped his arms from my waist and made him sit down.

“You don’t believe me,” he quietly said.
“You’re drunk. Of course I don’t believe you.”
“Then I’ll prove it.”

He stood up once again and tried to kiss me. I turned away and pushed him back onto the cot.

“Get to sleep, Alex.”
“But I’m not tired. I wanna stay awake with you.”
“No you don’t.”
“Yes I do.”
“No.”
“Yes.”
“No.”
“Yes.”
“Yes.”
“No… I mean yes. I mean… Shit, what was the question?”

A chuckle escaped from my lips as I ruffled his hair.

“Just get to bed.”

He pouted in defeat and reluctantly laid down while I made my way toward my room.

After changing into a tank top and shorts, I slipped back into bed and hoped that I could somehow continue the dream that was previously interrupted. However, instead of reuniting with the British actor, I was met with a state of restlessness. The clock was ticking too loudly. The pillows were too lumpy. Even the shadows on my ceiling were moving too much. My brain was on edge, unable to stop processing information, even though the available stimuli were as exciting as they were useless.

So there I was, lying in bed, wide awake and staring at the shadow of a thin branch swaying back and forth in the words. Just as I had turned to my side, the door creaked open. Then I felt someone slip in next to me.

I’ll give you a hint to who it was: his name started with ‘A’ and ended with ‘why couldn’t you just stay on the cot where I left you?’

Sighing, I turned around and faced the drunken boy.

“Alex, what are you doing?”
“Proving that I like you,” he said, brushing hair out of my face.
“But I’m trying to sleep.”
“I know. I wanna help,” Alex said, wrapping his arms around me.
“But--”

He put a finger over my mouth then planted a kiss on my cheek.

“Lights out. I still hear the rain. These images that fill my head now keep my fingers from making mistakes. Tell my voice what it takes to speak up, speak up and keep my conscience clean when I wake…”

As he softly sang, my urge to push him off my bed weakened.

“Don’t make this easy. I want you to mean it, Jasey. Say you mean it…”
Yes, I knew he was totally shitfaced.

“You’re dressed to kill. I’m calling you out.”
Yes, I knew it was a ploy to get in my pants.

“Don’t waste your time on me…”
Still, I couldn’t help but think that he was ridiculously charming.

The last thing I remember before falling asleep was Alex’s voice.

As sunlight filtered through my window, I tried to slip out from under his arms. Unfortunately, his grip tightened around me once I started moving.

“Gaskarth, wake up,” I said, over my shoulder.
“What time is it?” he groaned.
“10:04,” I said, turning to face him.

He sleepily smiled then nervously looked down.

“How much of last night do you remember?” he asked, scratching the back of his neck.
“A lot.”

Blood rushed to his cheeks and he bit his lip.

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” I said, chuckling. “We can forget it happened.”
“That’s the thing,” he quietly said, avoiding my eyes. “I don’t want to forget it…”
“What do you mean?”
“Chloe,” he said, glancing up. “I kind of like you.”
“Okay, there’s clearly a lot of alcohol still in your system.”

I tried to get up but he held me in place.

“Please, just hear me out?”

I sighed, knowing that it would get really awkward, really fast.

“Do you know why I’ve been getting really plastered lately?”
“Because you can’t resist the jager?” I replied, trying to lighten the mood.
“It’s the only way I can muster up the courage to tell you that-- to admit that I have feelings for you.”
“Alex--”
“You’re Jasey Rae.”

I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out. Then before I knew it, Jack was opening the door.

“Chloe, I-- Alex? What are you doing in here?”
“He’s being a fucking diva,” I quickly responded. “Apparently the cot I set up wasn’t good enough for him, so he decided to invade my room.”

Although Alex’s eyes burned into the side of my head, I kept focus on my brother.

“Oh, well I just wanted to thank you for picking us up last night.”
“Don’t worry about it, Jack.”

I sat up and raked my hand through my hair.

“No, seriously. You shouldn’t have to pick me up from bars when I get wasted. So to make it up to you, I made breakfast.”
“Thanks. That’s unusually sweet of you.”

I got up and wrapped him in a well-deserved hug.

“So, yeah. You go eat while me and Alex get out of your hair.”

Gaskarth got up, and I walked them both to the door. Jack was preoccupied with a new text message, so he failed to notice the disappointed look on his best friend’s face as he slipped his shoes on.

“Bye, Chloe,” my brother said, planting a kiss on my forehead.
“Yeah, bye,” Alex said with a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

I stood in the doorway for a few seconds, watching as they walked away.

With a sigh, I closed the door and took a seat at the breakfast table. On top of the scrambled eggs, he’d arranged the bacon into a smiley face. Next to that, were 2 pieces of toast. There was even a glass of orange juice on the side. I smiled, knowing that Jack had put some thought into it.

But with Alex’s words still playing in my brain, I couldn‘t find the will to eat. Leaning back into my chair, the past and present seemed to collide at full force.

Past: Get a grip, Chloe. It’s Alex fucking Gaskarth. King of one-night stands. You of all people should know not to fall for his shit. God, you were a victim of that same drunken charm back in high school. Why the hell would you put yourself through that again?

Present: He’s not the same guy he was in high school--

Past: You’re right. He’s worse.

Present: “You’re Jasey Rae.” C’mon, he was spilling his heart out.

Past: The weed has definitely messed with your common sense. Newsflash: he’s used that line on at least a hundred other girls. The bullshit radar’s going off the charts. Lights are flashing. Sirens are blaring. HUGE LIE. HUGE LIE. HE JUST WANTS SOME ASS.

Present: I guess you have a point…

With that, the optimist in my waved a white flag of surrender.

“God, I should really lay off the pot…” I said, picking up my fork once again and digging into breakfast.


+++++
Cat's out of the bag.
"What now?!" you ask.

REVIEW and you just might find out.
;)
Sign up to rate and review this story