Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > You Make Me Live

Almost Like Being In Love

by charliexbrown 0 reviews

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows and jelly tots... Sing along, kids!

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2009-03-09 - Updated: 2009-03-09 - 1201 words - Complete

0Unrated
Pete felt very warm as he woke up the next morning, inside and out. But although his eyes were still closed, he could tell something wasn’t right, and this was confirmed as he reached out and stretched his arm across the bed… to find only a handful of duvet covers. He rolled onto his back and sighed, eyes still closed. Only another crazy dream, then. And this one had been so real…

But he could hear something. There was music coming from somewhere, jazzy music, and a magnificent voice accompanying it. Along with the patter of the morning rain against the windows and the delicious smell of bacon, it made Pete extremely happy to realise the dream was real.

He finally opened his eyes, stretching, and stumbled downstairs sleepily. Steam was coming through the open kitchen door, and it was a great sight: Patrick, in an old hat Pete remembered from years ago, standing at the cooker making pancakes and belting out some Nat King Cole, a great grin on his face.

This can’t be love, because I feel so well,
No sobs, no sorrows, no sighs.
This can’t be love; I get no dizzy spells,
My head is not in the skies.

My heart does not stand still, just hear it beat.
This is too sweet to be love.

This can’t be love, because I feel so well,
But still I love to look in your eyes…


By this time Pete was laughing as Patrick had strangely knelt on the floor and started singing to him, screwing up his eyes and gesturing wildly. The song finished suddenly and he stood up, dusted himself off and turned back to the pancakes without another word, sending Pete into hysterics.

‘Alright, dude, it wasn’t that funny. What’s with you this morning?’
‘Oh, it’s just… it’s just you!’ He caught Patrick in a huge hug from behind. ‘I missed this. Just goofing around and stuff.’
‘Yeah… I missed it too. It was weird not having a best friend around.’
‘Definitely. It’s weird not knowing what you do these days.’
‘Oh, production mostly. It’s so much fun, and you know… it pays the bills. It’s awesome. What about you? How’s Clandestine?’

They took their breakfast to the lounge and switched on the lamp. The gloomy weather outside made it feel safe and cosy and they talked for some time, before Patrick noticed there was something slightly wrong.

‘Pete, what’s up? Aren’t you gonna eat that?’
‘Nah, I think I’ll leave it, if that’s OK.’
Patrick took mock offense at this and raised his eyebrows.
‘No, don’t get me wrong, it was really good, but…’
‘Come on, dude, tell me what’s going on.’

He sighed and rubbed his forehead sleepily. There was a short pause, in which Patrick took his plate back to the kitchen and returned, reaching for Pete’s pancakes.

‘I’m screwed.’
‘…Because of Ashlee?’
He nodded sadly, and groaned. ‘How am I gonna get her back, Trick? It’s impossible. She’ll never want to see my face again.’
‘Not true.’
How can you prove that? How?
Patrick wiped the maple syrup from his mouth. ‘You’ve got first-hand experience right here!’
Pete frowned, completely confused.
‘Listen. This whole thing between me and you. I thought I’d never forgive you, never in a million years. I was ready to hate you forever.’
‘I hated me too. I still do, now it’s happening all over again… Patrick?’
‘Mm?’
‘Why… why don’t you hate me now?’
‘What?’
‘Well, you always say what you mean. You said forever. So why wasn’t it forever? Why am I here, under your roof, eating your pancakes?’

Patrick put the plate down, looking Pete straight in the eyes. ‘I’m not always right, you know. Even Patrick Stump gets things wrong sometimes,’ he chuckled. ‘Well, for a start, you exposed Laura for the slut she is. It wasn't the best way of doing it, but you did. And one of the things I hadn’t thought about was our bond. We got past friendship, even past brotherhood. We reached something that was so rare, so unheard of, that it doesn’t even have a name. No matter what either of us does or says, we’ll always be there for each other, because of those moments that formed that bond. Just things like our long middle-of-the-night talks, or eating pizza with you. They used to keep me awake at night for hours, even when I consciously hated you. Nothing or no one can ever take those away.’

Pete leaned into the arms of his best friend, feeling them wind round him tightly, and feeling safer and more secure than ever. He knew he’d done something right for once. Just by meeting Patrick Stump he’d secured his future, made sure he always had someone to help him along life’s pathways, someone to take care of him and make life worth living just by being in it.

They watched the rain drizzling down the windows for a while, just enjoying each other’s company.

‘You never told me how I was gonna sort this mess out.’
‘Well, I don’t give information for free, you know. Twenty dollars an hour for my advice.’
‘Mmm… how about I make dinner tonight?’
‘Uh, no, it’s OK – I’ve tasted your cooking. I’m still here to tell the tale.’
Pete punched him lightly in the chest before cuddling back in.
‘Alright. Just for you, you can have it for free. All you gotta do is try what you tried with me. Letters, texts, e-mails, the whole shebang.’
Pete chuckled quietly. ‘She-bang…’
‘Alright, we’re not ten, Pete. Listen, you just do what you did for me and it’ll hopefully work out. It’s not guaranteed, but it’s the best chance you have.’
‘Honest? Best chance?’
‘Honest. Well, unless she prefers big gestures or something… but I’ll bet you anything it’ll work eventually.’
‘And if it doesn’t?’
Patrick poked him in the ribs. ‘Ever the pessimist… If it doesn’t, you go get the dogs and you come live with me.’
Pete looked up at this. ‘Seriously? Won’t I get in the way?’
‘Nah. I miss having a roomie. It’ll be like the old days, minus Joe. And plus three dogs.’
Pete buried his head into Patrick’s neck again, mumbling a ‘Thank you’.
‘No problem… What is it with my neck?’
‘I dunno… it’s just the most comfy bit of you. Plus I haven’t seen you for months so me and your neck need to get reacquainted.’
‘Pete, you’ve barely let go of me since yesterday!’
‘I know, but I’m gonna need at least a week of non-stop cuddling to make up for all this. Starting now.’

He threw himself on top of Patrick, who wriggled around and cried out in protest, then started laughing as Pete tickled him onto the floor, Penny running over and licking his face. Things were finally turning for the better.
Sign up to rate and review this story