Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > The Rise and Fall of New America

The Dawn of New America (Chapter Four)

by xl0nelywriterx 0 reviews

You'll see.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2009-04-04 - Updated: 2009-04-05 - 652 words

0Unrated
Upon my inspection, I had heard a large thumping sound. I looked over, and Neil was having a seizure. I immediately hurried and tried shaking him to see if he’d stop. His eyes were rolling in his head, and he just kept drooling. Frantic, I called for help numerous times. After five calls, an assistant came; a bald man came in and immediately carried him out of the room. Frightened out of my mind, I crawled to the window, trying to peer for some light, and cried.
Later on, Neil returned along with a crew of men and women who were nurses. The same man returned. After they set Neil up, the man turned to me.
“I know you just got here, but it appears your inmate here has been deprived of nutrients. Make damn sure he eats. It is important to the survival of New America.” He then left, as well as the rest of the crew. I figured the best thing to do was sit down, and wait until Neil woke up, which I did.
When Neil woke up, he mumbled a few things and looked to me.
“What happened?” He asked.
“You had a seizure. They said it was related to malnutrition.” Neil covered his mouth, then slammed his hand on the mattress.
A woman arrived to our bedroom. She was plump, and had short brown hair and glasses. She carried a tray with two baked potatoes and two glasses of milk.
“Dinner’s ready.” She said, in a very assertive tone. She handed me the tray.
“So, is this bugger over here alright? I heard he snapped.” She said in a very dry tone.
“I guess—”
“Make sure he eats this. I don’t want to hear anymore bologna about it.” Then, she left. Neil got up, slowly.
“Aren’t you going to eat any of this?” I asked.
“I can’t.”
“They’ve already raised hell to me…you have to eat—“
“I said, I can’t.”
“Why?”
“You can’t either.”
“What?”
“Never mind.” He went back to lying down. “Well, I can eat the skins. Can you peel them off for me?”
I began to peel them off.
“Why are you in here?” He asked.
“Why are you?”
“I asked first.”
“I suppose.” And then I told him what I told you, about Martin and Kelly, etc.
“You’re homosexual?” He asked.
“Yeah.”
“I’m bisexual.”
“Oh. Cool.” This shed different light. I could see some potential attraction in him.
“So,” I began to ask, “what about you?”
“Same as most of the people in here. When the New America movement swept my town, I tried to run. I don’t know where I was running to, but I just took off…and I didn’t look back. Until, one of the policemen caught me. And then, I think I started to attack him…I’m not sure. I’ve been here too long. I’ve started to forget. I completely forget how I got here.”
“Same here. They knock you out and they drag you here.”
“I don’t remember the beginning of my time here. I barely remember life before New America started. I’ve been here for two years. It’s because of the food.”
“I don’t understand what your deal with the food is.”
“Look at the food and see if you notice anything that looks like sugar is on it.” I looked inside the potato. I opened it completely and picked at a large part of it with my hand, and sure enough, on that little speckle of potato, was something that looked like sugar.
“What is it? Is it sugar?”
“No.”
“Then…what?”
“Medication.”
“What kind of medication? Why is it in our food?”
“It slowly erases our memory.”
“Why don’t they just brainwash us completely, just all at once?”
“Then, it wouldn’t be torture.”
Sign up to rate and review this story