Categories > Original > Drama

Fading Voices-Chapter 1

by MyLouis 0 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2009-04-28 - Updated: 2009-04-28 - 676 words

0Unrated
I looked at the picture of my parents, taken just hours before, well, they were gone. We were leaving the beach in our small jeep, and a green truck ran a red light. It pulverized our tiny car. Leaving me, the only one to live.
I closed my eyes tightly to erase the horrible memory. I looked outside. The sky was filled with dark, gray cotton ball-looking clouds. The rain poured in sheets.

Foot steps grew closer. Then finally a voice was heard. “It’s time for the interview, Clara. I turned around, seeing the orphanage owner, Kristy, standing in the doorway. “Okay,” I looked in the mirror on the wall and fixed my wavy, blonde hair. “I’m ready.”

“I’m sure you’ll do fine Clara.” She hugged me slightly and led me to the interviewing room. This is my nineteenth interview for parents, but all the other eighteen had been complete failures. This time I was sure the same would happen with this interview.

“This, is Clara.” She said, pulling out a chair from the long, wooden table. “Hello,” I said, pulling the chair towards the table until my stomach was pressed against it.
The couple was very friendly. Vanessa, the woman, had brown hair and hazel eyes. Deon, the man, had red hair, and green eyes. His face was covered with freckles. I told them all about myself. I was so used to this routine, I have already memorized it. “Hello, my name is Clara.” I started. “I like playing my saxophone, and drawing cartoon strips. I also enjoy swimming and playing darts.”
I was looking down while saying all of this. When I finally paused to look up, their faces were in awe. Almost like I had just said I murdered someone. I continued my speech. “My favorite color is purple. I hate it when people dress their dogs. But, I like to watch dog shows.” I looked, down and up, down and up. Every time I looked up, their faces still in that same, locked emotion. Awe.
After I had said all of my practiced lecture Vanessa and Deon stood up, and walked out of the door to meet with Kristy. After the door had shut, I let out a huge, relieving sigh. This has happened more than once, and I was sure it was going to turn out the same way, staying here, at the orphanage, waiting for another interview. I stood up, and walked out the door. I knew where Vanessa and Deon have gone. All the kids in the orphanage called it ’The Office‘, like in a school. I went up to the office door and pressed my ear close to it.

“So,” I could hear Kristy say. “What do you think about our Clara.” Deon answered the question. “Well,” He said. “She’s really something’.” I closed my eyes, knowing the answer would be no. “Clara, has, well, been through a lot in the past two years. I know she seems a little off edge now, but I’m sure, if you make the choice to adopt her, will settle and seem much more happier than she is now.” Kristy knew what was coming next, a big fat, ‘We will let you know’. Sure enough, that is what happened.

“Well, we will think about it,” Vanessa said. “We will let you know.” She ended the conversation. I could here them stand up. “Thank you so much for letting us talk to you.” Deon said. “No, thank you.” Kristy always ended a follow-up like this. The foot-steps grew louder, and I quickly removed my ear, and leaned against the wall.

When they walked out, they looked at me, and nodded. Then, they walked out of the orphanage. Kristy walked out of the office and hugged me. “It will be alright, sugar.” I dug my face into her sweater and cried. “What am I gonna do Kris? Nobody will ever adopt me.” I managed to say through my river of tears. “It will be alright, sugar.” She repeated.
Sign up to rate and review this story