Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Sifting For Truth

by wordhammer 4 reviews

While Hermione recovers from catification, we learn about Mind Arts and Holly chats with the Hat

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Snape - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2009-05-11 - Updated: 2009-05-11 - 4003 words - Complete

5Funny


Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.



Author's Note: For those who may have skipped the last chapter to avoid the M-rated material, a quick summary:

Holly finds out the Slytherins can bring guests into their dorms when she witnesses Marcus Flint leading a mind-controlled Penelope Clearwater to a pre-arranged sexual assault. Holly tells Percy Weasley, and then at some point in the next day loses any memories of the incident. Holly brings Hermione up to speed and they agree to keep it between them until they figure out who was involved in both the assault and Holly's Obliviation. Holly's virginity is verified intact. Discovering Flint is only being expelled 'for undisclosed reasons', Holly takes revenge on Flint, signing her work as the Spider. At Christmas, Holly and Hermione try out their Polyjuice unsuccessfully. Holly has an allergic reaction and reverts to herself immediately, and Hermione is turned into a cat-girl. Holly consoles Hermione by stroking her kitty.



Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Chapter 9: Sifting For Truth



26th December, 1992



Dear Harry,

I feel I need to explain something. Ever since I started using the Quick-quotes Quill, I have gotten into the habit of turning it on when I sense that aconversation might get interesting or reveal something important. Plenty of things happen that I choose not to have transcribed here. Usually I just include the most important or comprehensive conversations so I have a record of facts to refer back to, and to give you a sense of what's going on and how Ihandle things. I would not have included that entire encounter before, if I had transcribed it later. It was private, and I doubt Hermione would forgive either of us should anyone else even suspect what went on. For my part, it was abizarre experience from start to finish, but I can't say it wasn't thrilling as well. I haven't had much experience in giving good feelings to others. Hermione's enjoyment was intoxicating. I felt electrified, knowing she was happy from responding to my touch. I can't say this has anything to do with sexual preference. I guess I prefer people I can trust, and so far my market for love has a single occupant. Nothing against you, but we still haven't met, and besides you're my brother, so we'll have to relate to each other that way. I can't broach the subject with Hermione right now anyway. She is mortified enough by her feline transformation. Mme. Pomfrey is still checking with her resources, but she has indicated that while Hermione can be restored to just humanity, the solution will not be a quick one. I'm going to spend time with Hermione later tonight, so maybe I can cheer her up a bit.



Holly



*



30th December, 1992



Dear Harry,

It's been a quiet yet difficult few days for me. At first, Hermione wouldn't say much of anything and didn't respond well to anything beyond holding my hand. She obviously wants the support however, as my hand hasn't left hers for more than a few hours at night ever since. I have the claw marks to attest to that.

Speaking of claw marks, Pansy had recovered quickly under Mme. Pomfrey's care, well before Christmas in fact, so she, Millicent and Draco have been haunting the castle trying to catch me unawares, no doubt for some sort of revenge. Their problem has been that for some reason I could sense when Pansy was near. It wasn't like a magical connection, more like I could pick up her scent. Imentioned it to Hermione yesterday morning.

"Perhaps it is a side effect of the Polyjuice potion."

"Yeah, but it is a bit distracting. I've been avoiding the Great Hall just to keep away from the overlap of her presence."

"You...you don't... fancy her do you?"

I immediately heaved out my breakfast on the floor.

"That would be a 'No', then."

"Got that right."

I felt a little woozy afterwards, but my 'Pansy sense' seems to have left me with the remains of my brekkers. Perhaps I had a little of the draught left in me.

Unfortunately with the Weasleys back at home for the hols and no one else left in the castle except professors, OWL students and our Slytherin counterparts, Hermione was stuck with me for company. It's been hard for me, as I usually only speak if Ineed to address something. Idle chatter escapes me. Thankfully, Hedwig decided to join us in quiet company this morning. I was surprised to see her, given the traditional enmity between cats and birds, but I think she can tell Hermione bears her no ill will. Hedwig couldn't stand the silence for long, though. Idon't believe I've seen Mme. Pomfrey more beside herself as when she entered the ward to find Hed sitting atop Hermione's bed frame, chirping and clicking some story at us. I think Hermione greatly appreciated my creative interpretation of Hedwig's story- I have no idea if my Owl friend was truly in an epic battle with the Giant Squid over a low-flying pheasant they both felt they had first grip upon, but Hedwig kept chattering as I told the tale and only clipped me aside the head when I suggested that she gave up the prize too easily. Hermione is now beginning to approach her usual talkative habits, which relieves me from the pressure of making conversation. I think Hermione's return to conversational lead may also come from my habit of staring at her fur when Ihave nothing to say, but Hedwig is still blessed for being the ice-breaker.



Me, me, me, I, I, I. Sometimes I forget that this is more than just my journal. Thank you for the replacement trunk you sent for Christmas! Believe me, Hermione appreciates it almost as much as I do, as I've been mixing up her trunk's meticulous organisation with my clothes and personal items ever since my tea-stain induced misfire. It's much nicer than the one I bought myself originally. I am once more in your debt, kind sir.

Uh oh. Snape approacheth. I shall transcribe anon.



Transcription: 30th December, 1992 starting 4:31 PM GMT

Severus Snape (SS) approaches the hospital bed for Hermione Granger (HG). Holly Evans(HE) sits in a chair beside the bed. Hedwig (H.), a snowy owl is perched on the bed frame above HG's head.

SS stops his approach suddenly and stares. SS laughs suddenly and loudly. HE and HG exchange worried glances. SS calms his laughter and speaks then with asneering whisper.

SS: Well, well. The owl, the cat and ...the spider. I should think a fairytale is being enacted before my very eyes.

HG: Professor...

SS: Do not speak, Miss Granger! I would prefer to maintain the illusion just a bit longer, and you have little to say that interests me at this moment. Better for you to listen with feline acuity.

HG looks down to her lap. HE squeezes HG's left paw in her right hand.

SS: I am here as our indomitable healer Madame Pomfrey requires my skills to rescue you from your own ineptness. I assume that your current state is the result of a Polyjuice mishap. I do not care to guess your purpose in attempting such an advanced formula. What I am here to guess, is that Miss Evans' recent assault on my House was used to cover her theft of the necessary materials from my private potions stores. Let me make this perfectly clear. If I find either of you attempting to access my private stores again, you shall regret it. Do you know what this is?

SS hold up a small vial of clear liquid.

HE: Poison?

SS scowls.

SS: Lethal response is only appropriate for lethal actions. This is Veritaserum, the most powerful truth potion known. A few drops of this and you will confess your darkest secrets to your worst enemy at the slightest prompting. Cross me again or attempt to violate the sanctity of my House, and my hand might just...slip over your pumpkin juice one morning.

SS swirls his cloak as he strides away towards the healer's office.

HE and HG follow SS's progress until he exits the room.

H.: (clikCLACK snurfle snurfle BARK)

HE: Yes, that was interesting, wasn't it?

HG: Let me try.

HE: Alright.

HG: (whispering)Professor Snape knows you're the Spider, but he doesn't seem to care about what you did to Flint. He knows you trounced Pansy just to get the detentions, but his only concern was the robbery. He thinks I'm useless and he knows we have secrets we don't want revealed. How'd I do?

HE: A good start.

HG: What else?

HE: Well, he doesn't think you're useless, as he's impressed with your Polyjuice brewing. He knows the only reason it didn't work was because of the cat hairs. It wasn't a bad batch or you wouldn't have been cat-ified. Also, he knows we were trying to break into the Slytherin dorms...

HG: But he said he wouldn't guess why we were trying to brew the potion.

HE: Exactly. He doesn't have to guess. He did warn us not to try again; 'don't violate the sanctity of my House'. He's not talking about his rooms. Plus, his knowing I am the Spider means he knows at least some of what happened to cause Flint's comeuppance. That puts me too close to the Slytherin dorms for coincidence. The fact that he told us means he either didn't know about or didn't approve of my Obliviation.

HG huffs.

HG: Well now we're undone.

HE: Not exactly. Two more things; first, my detente still stands.

HG: Oh, really?

HE: Of course. Do you think he would have bothered to inform us of anything if war was declared?You'd simply be left like this until sent to specialists and I would be under the influence of the Veritaserum at the return feast.

HG: And the other?

HE: Professor Snape just told us he keeps a truth serum at hand. If anyone was holding back information about a threat to the school, he would use it. The Slytherins don't know anything more than he does about the Heir, and he doesn't know who it is or he would have caught them by now.

HG: Perhaps he's holding back because the Heir hasn't attacked any Slytherins yet. Maybe he is the Heir, and he's removing students who annoy him! Only a Gryffindor and Hufflepuff have been attacked as of yet.

HE: I think you and Iare the greatest threats to Slytherin supremacy around here, academically or on the pitch. The only damage we've suffered of late has been self-induced. Besides, Snape was here back in the 70's, but the Chamber wasn't opened back then.

HG: How did you ever learn how to read people's intentions like this?

HE looks at HG darkly.

HE: Necessity, Hermione.

HG smiles weakly. HE nods back in understanding.

HG: Speaking of necessity, I was hoping you could get Advanced Potion-Making from my trunk.

HE: Why?

HG: It has the keys for recognising potion ingredients when using Scarpin's Revelaspell. If I had thought to use that on the potion before I drank it, I might have avoided my current circumstance.

HE: It probably wouldn't be a bad spell to try on the return feast.

HG: I don't think I'll have the spell worked out before then, and it will take more time for me to teach it to you, especially with paws. Why would you want it for the feast?

HE: In case I'm dead wrong about the detente. Snape may have just been teasing us about what he will do, so we are further humiliated when we realise he warned us ahead of time.

HG: That would be cruel!

HE nodded as she leaned forward to rest her head on HG's knees.

HE: But totally in character. My head hurts. I'm going to nap here. I'll get your book after dinner.

HG giggles.

Transcription ends.



Holly



*



3rd January, 1993



Dear Harry,

Happy New Year.

It might seem unbelievable, but I have been wanting to be sent to the Headmaster's office ever since my sorting. Yesterday I finally was summoned there by a note left for me on Hermione's bed stand. First, I'll explain my interest and then I'll transcribe what the Headmaster and others had to say.

When we were first brought to Hogwarts, all us firsties were led to the front of the Great Hall to be sorted into a House. The actual choosing is performed by an animated floppy hat that first sings a song about what the Houses represent, then each student puts on the hat and their House is announced.

My sorting wasn't typical, I would guess.

Professor McGonagall placed the Hat on my head, where it sunk down to cover half my head. Then I heard a voice in my mind that matched the Hat's singing tenor. For some reason the whole experience was making me giddy, or I would not have been so mouthy with the Hat.

'Well, what have we here? A good brain, plenty of courage and a burning desire to prove yourself. But where to place you? I think Slytherin may be the best fit...'

'Not to be rude, but Professor McGlonallagall...'

'It's McGonagall, dear. Call her Prof McG if it's a mouthful.'

'Right, well I don't think she would think Slytherin would be best for me.'

'Why so?'

'Everyone I've met including her would expect me to be sacrificing cats by the end of the week. If I'm truly meant to be cunning and ambitious, I'd rather start with alow profile.'

'Oh, I like you. You're trouble. But wait, what's this? I can't sort you properly!'

'Sorry?Did I do something wrong?'

'My dear, I would like to take more time to discuss your situation, but I'm afraid I would be tempting Fate itself should I say anything but...'

"GRYFFINDOR!"

'...however, come and see me another time and we'll chat.'

Prof McG lifted the hat from my head and I started to leave for the Gryffindor table in a daze, when I decided to grab the hat from her hands and put it on again.

'Back already, are we?'

'Sorry, but I don't know your name or where to find you.'

'I am the Sorting Hat, else called Adrian. To find me, find your way to the Headmaster's office. Ask a prefect for directions, or perhaps if you perform enough mischief you'll find yourself there regardless. Now, off with you. I'm on duty!'

I handed back the Hat to the startled professor and headed quickly to the table. Hermione asked me later about why I went back and appeared quite mortified that she hadn't thought to ask its name either.

During my first year, I really was just overwhelmed with learning about the magical world, and tracking the foolishness that led to exploding heads. I also wasn't keen on grabbing the Headmaster's attention then. Events this year have led me to believe that my intentions of living a life of anonymity are a lost hope, but I still prefer to keep my distance from the Headmaster. It's hard to do that when you're sent an engraved invitation.

The note included directions as well as a password; 'Lemon Drop'.

The Headmaster's office is about as quirky as one would imagine it should be when owned by the world's greatest living wizard. In addition to the unexplainable instruments and ancient tomes with faded titles in their binding, he also kept a pathetic looking bird on a golden perch. Arranged in nearly every open wall space were portraits of the former head-masters and -mistresses of Hogwarts, collectively doing the worst impression of appearing asleep as I've seen. There were two windows, one on the East wall looking out over the lake and the other on the West wall with a view of the Quidditch pitch. I found Adrian propped up on a wig stand tucked amidst some shelves mounted directly behind the massive wooden desk at the center of the chamber, a bit above my reach.



Transcription: 2nd January, 1993 starting 8:54 AM GMT

Holly Evans (HE) sits in a chair in front of a large desk, addressing Adrian the Sorting Hat (A.).

HE: Should I...

A.: We can speak openly if you wish, my dear.

HE: Right. Sorry Ihaven't been to visit before now. I guess my antics haven't been of enough concern to bring me here. I'd hate to have disappointed you.

A.: You have met the Headmaster under other circumstances. I have heard well of your antics. Don your goggles, my dear. You'll see things more clearly that way.

HE: Sure...

HE pulls her goggles down over her eyes from her forehead.

A.: Bee in your bonnet, Evans? I thought you might have a question or two for me after our last conversation. You gave me quite a chuckle, and that's rare. I only ever speak to eleven-year olds and the Headmaster, after all.

HE: You said I should be sorted into Slytherin. Were you hoping they would break me or that I would start killing them?

A.: Neither my dear. Ithought you might raise the bar of their performance. Show them what asurvivor's cunning is truly like. Sadly, I think Salazar's legacy has been usurped by the privileged.

HE: Do you know what is contained in the Slytherin library?

A.: Oh, Ho! My most important role in this office is the keeping of confidences. I'm afraid their secrets will have to wait for your skills to exceed their defenses. I have astanding bet with several Professors on the outcome.

HE: Fair enough. What did you mean when you said you couldn't sort me? How is fate involved in my life?

A.: Fate has marked you, much like that scar upon your forehead. I know little more than that, but Fate desires your courage. Already you must feel how much your actions seem to affect the larger community. You are to have a theme in the Great Symphony, my dear. Only you can determine its tone and timbre, by every choice that you make.

HE: I ...am a bit lost. What...?

A.: Have you met Fawkes?The Headmaster keeps his Phoenix close at hand when he's close to...

A sickly bird on a golden perch is suddenly engulfed in flames. HE jumps from her chair in surprise.

HE: Bloody grief!

A.: ...and there he goes. The next time you head off on an adventure, consider bringing me along. My view is limited and I know you'll see something extraordinary, the way things go.

HE: Like this doesn't count?

Albus Dumbledore (AD) enters the room from a door behind the desk.

AD: Oh, please Miss Evans. Don't rise on my account. I see Fawkes has finally moved on. He always looks so forlorn as he approaches a burning day.

AD sits down in the large armchair behind the desk. HE drops back into her chair.

HE: Sir, I hope spontaneous avian combustion isn't catching. Hermione and Hedwig are really getting along, and I won't be able to keep her company as often once classes start.

AD: Holly, as the Hat has mentioned, Fawkes is a phoenix. It is appropriate for him to ignite. They are immortal, periodically burning up to renew their bodies from the ravages of time and experience. Extraordinary creatures, phoenixes. They are incredibly loyal, their song can calm troubled hearts, they can carry heavy loads even when flying and their tears have remarkable healing properties. They are symbols of the Light.

The pile of ash left on the golden perch begins to stir. A baby bird emerges and shakes off some ash from its first feathers.

HE: Brilliant.

AD: Quite.

HE: Sir, why did you want to see me?

AD: I felt I needed to give you the opportunity to answer a question. Now, is there anything you'd like to tell me?

HE: Wow, that was really three turns around. Is there something you'd like me to tell you?

AD: You have such alovely face my dear. Why don't you take off those atrocious goggles?

HE: You're freaking me out, sir.

HE pushes her goggles up to her forehead.

AD: I am simply trying to understand your involvement in recent events.

HE: But you haven't asked me anything.

AD: Are you sure there is nothing you'd like to tell me?

AD suddenly sits up straight, looking uncomfortable.

HE: I don't think so, sir.

AD: Well! On your way then.

Transcription ends.



At the point Professor Dumb was pushing for a definite answer to his very open question, I had a thought flash through my brain, that I'd like to tell him if he keeps wasting my time with this I'll do to him what I did to Flint. I'm fairly sure he picked that right out of my brain. If you doubt me on this, let me explain what Hermione found out in Perenelle's notebook today.



Hermione has been feeling the isolation of a hospital bed, so she threw herself into working on the puzzle front of Perenelle's notebook. It has the added advantage that Hermione's claws won't puncture the surface as she tries to work on it, unlike how she shredded the edges of her Advanced Potion-Making guide. Hedwig's no help on the page turning tasks, although she seems to be giving Hermione some cues on how to solve the next puzzle on the notebook's cover. Hedwig is such a clever owl.



Hermione's breakthrough to the third section revealed that Obliviation can be unmasked. Perenelle described a magical way of sifting through another's mind called Legilimency. The basic spell is simple enough, though illegal to use unless you are, or are being trained by a licensed Legilimancer. Using the skill once contact has been made is the more challenging part, as untrained mind sifting can be damaging to both sifter and siftee. What's more is unless they hear you say the spell, they wouldn't know you were doing anything wrong. Masters of the art are able to initiate an attack without wand or word, simply by gazing into the victim's eyes, though there is often a telltale change in the caster's face that alert observers may see. Legilimency is countered by Occlumency, blindness, or an appropriately distracting hammer to the forebrain.

The Bad news is the technique described for recovering a victim from Obliviation requires advanced skills in Legilimency and the Memory Charm, to properly recognize a masked memory and enable the Legilimens to break the binding while still in the victim's mind. The Good news is this section has notes on how to learn Occlumency, so that when Hermione and I start trying Legilimency, we can defend our minds and prevent a bad sifting experience. The other Bad news is that Professor Dumbledore has been using mind sifting on me and probably anyone else he wants answers from. The other Good news is that Adrian likes me better than Dumbledore; he warned me to wear my goggles when facing the Headmaster, who got flummoxed until he made me take them off.

Hang on; he MADE ME TAKE THEM OFF! The Quill even changed writing to show a spell was in use!

Why else would I do that?

Occlumency is my only priority now. DO NOT TELL THE HEADMASTER. I will know if he starts to interfere that you have betrayed my trust. I mean it, Harry. I will find you and hurt you. I will pluck out your eyes to keep my secrets safe. Sleep well.



With love,

Holly



*



A/N: Adrian describing Holly as likeable trouble came from the Babylon 5 episode"Voices of Authority", but there it was Draal talking with Susan Ivanova. Who's to say the Hat doesn't channel ideas to J. Michael Straczynski?

Sign up to rate and review this story