Categories > Original > Drama > Building a Family (Meet the Robinsons)

Gaston Framagucci

by Zaehlas 0 reviews

Gaston's Story

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2009-05-17 - Updated: 2009-05-17 - 2142 words

0Unrated
Author's Note: Meet the Robinsons, and all characters are copyright Disney, and created by William Joyce. I am making no money from this work of fiction, and present it freely for other's enjoyment. For more background on this story, please read my Author Page. The Framagucci parents are Wilbur (not the Wilbur Robinson we know and love!) and Rosemarie. This chapter happens in 2013 and Character ages are: Lewis(18), Franny(16), Gaston(19), Art(21), Bud(54), Lucille(48)

“Building a Family”

Chapter 2 – Gaston Framagucci

The house lurched and then rumbled violently. A glass of ice tea slid off the coffee table and crashed to the floor. Wilbur and Rosemarie just looked at each other and rolled their eyes, sighing in unison.

“Gaston!?!” they heard the voice of their youngest daughter shouting from the other side of the house. This was followed by running footsteps, and a door slamming, as it sounded like she was running into the basement where Gaston spent most of his time.

Rosemarie glared at her husband as his hands gripped his newspaper tightly. “Honey, please don't get too mad at him. It's what he likes doing, and he's never destroyed anything that's truly important, “she nearly pleaded with Wilbur.

“Rose, I don't know if I can tolerate it too much longer. He won't get a job, he rarely leaves the house, and I just don't understand him!” Wilbur finished through gritted teeth.

“He's not perfect honey, but give him a chance. Maybe he'll never make anything of himself, but we've talked about this a lot now. You still love him, right?”

Wilbur sighed, “Yes, I love him, but I'm having a hard time tolerating him. I'm sorry, my love.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franny rushed down the stairs into the now smoke-filled basement. Coughing slightly. she started to look for her brother. She heard some movement, and a few crunching sounds off to her right, near where his workbench was. She rushed over and found her brother getting back up from the floor, covered with dust, and pieces of ceramic tile. She helped him to his feet.
“Hey Sis, well I guess that didn't work. Just a bit too much sulfur, you think?” He coughed loudly.

“Gaston, you have got to be more careful. I know you love playing down here, but I really don't think this basement can take much more. Mom and Dad are not happy with you.” She helped brush some of the dust off his shoulders, while looking around at the shambles the basement was in.

“I'm sorry, Sis, but this stuff is just too cool to play with!” He picked up a nearby broom, and started to sweep up some of the dust. “Back to the drawing board I guess. What does your boyfriend say all the time?”

“Keep moving forward.” she recited. “Yes, I understand that, but you also have to think about Mom, and Dad, and this house. My boyfriend does his work in a place that can handle explosions, and makes sure everyone is safe. This basement is not the best place to do this type of stuff, and I've heard Mom and Dad arguing..” Franny's hand flew up to her mouth, and her eyes got really big.

“Arguing?”

“I'm sorry, I wasn't going to say anything, but Dad really can't understand why you obsess with this stuff, or why you won't at least get a job like Art did.” Franny was picking up some of the debris, and finding scattered tools to put back on the workbench while she was talking.

Gaston sighed, “I don't know why, but this is really important to me. It's practically all I think about. I'll go crazy if I can't at least work on this stuff some of the time. And I really can't find a job I like. And if you don't like what you're doing, why bother to do it in the first place?”

Franny nodded in agreement, “I know big brother, but I know they are worried about you, and I can't think of anything to do about it.”

“I don't want to change, little sister.”

“I know.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A trumpeting melody reminiscent of Indiana Jones music blasted through the air. Franny waited at the front door until it opened, and Lucille smiled at the young lady.
“Hello Franny. Come to see Cornelius again?”

“Yes, Mrs. Robinson. New doorbell sound?”

“I was watching through some of my old movies, and came up with this one. Catches the attention, doesn't it?”

Franny laughed, and Lucille motioned for her to enter. “You know where to find him, of course. I'm headed back to the kitchen. Want me to bring a snack up to you two? I think Cornelius forgot to eat lunch again.”

“That would be great, Mrs. Robinson. Thank you.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franny quietly closed the door to the lab, and slowly moved up the stairs. She hated to startle Lewis, especially if he was working on something delicate, and might get hurt. She glanced around to see if he was working on a project or not. She saw him at his desk, sifting through a pile of notes.

“Hey, honey, are you busy?”

Lewis turned around, “I'm always busy, but I can take a break. How's it going Franny?”

“Not so well. Gaston blew up the basement again. I helped him clean a bunch of it up, but I know Dad is really angry at him.” She sighed and shook her head. “I just don't know what we're going to do.”

Lewis had a thoughtful look on his face, and opened his mouth to say something when his stomach decided to intervene. Even Franny heard it growl.

“Missed lunch, eh? Your Mom said something about bringing snacks up for us.”

Lewis laughed, “Well, why don't we make it an early dinner. I'll ask Mom and Dad if we can do that instead.” Lewis moved over to a device near his desk, and pushed a button on it.

“Mom, would you mind if we have an early dinner? I'm kinda hungry, and thought it would be better for all of us.”

Lucille's voice came through the speaker, “Certainly, sweetheart. I had the same thought as well, and asked Bud and Joe to head up already. I'll see you in the dining room?”

“OK Mom, we'll be there in a few minutes.” Lewis turned off the intercom.

He turned to Franny and held out his hand, “Lets get cleaned up. I have an idea about Gaston, but we can talk it out over dinner.”

She nodded, and took his hand as he led her out of the lab.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lewis and Franny sat down at the large table in the dining room. It had taken a number of years of slowly buying furniture and accessories, but pretty much all of the home was furnished now, in a variety of styles. The dining room was one of the best, with it's large custom table, and gorgeous chandelier brightening up the area. Bud and Joe were sitting down at the table already, Joe in his new automated chair designed by Lewis. It had wheels still, but looked sleeker than his old wheelchair.

“Hi Franny, nice of you to join us today.” Joe's voice was more of a whisper, higher and disjointed. He was having a lot more difficulty talking over the years, as he had gained weight. The doctors had him on a number of different medications, but his problems kept getting worse.

Franny smiled sadly at Uncle Joe. “Thanks. Are you feeling any better today?”

Uncle Joe shook his head at her and sighed.

Lucille showed up wheeling a cart loaded with dishes. “Sorry it's not anything extravagant tonight, all. Just some pasta salad, home cooked bread, and a stew I threw together.” She set some large serving bowls on the side of the table they were all sitting on, and handed out some more bowls, plates and silverware. “Dig in!”

They all scrambled to serve themselves, and began enjoying the meal. Lucille always had a knack for just “throwing together” a huge meal at a moment's notice. After a few minutes of nothing but the sounds of eating and the clanks of silverware, Lewis finally broke the ice at the table.

“I was thinking that maybe Gaston could move here.”

All the sounds stopped, as everyone stared at Lewis. Lucille recovered from her shock first, “Um, Cornelius, why would you want that?”

Lewis responded with a burst of explanation, “Well, uh, with Gaston only wanting to work on his projects, and the fact that Franny almost lives over here as it is, I thought nobody would mind. We can set aside a room for him to work in, and I didn't think money was a big issue...” he trailed off, laughing lightly.

Bud countered, “I don't think the money or the space is a problem, but isn't this a bit sudden? And what of his parents?”

“I hadn't really thought it all the way through, but Franny was telling me about his problems at home, and him moving here seemed to be the perfect solution.”

All eyes turned to Franny, and she looked a bit downcast as she started to explain. “He's been getting more and more obsessed with cannons and explosives. He refuses to try and find another job, and I know from some of the arguments I've overheard, that my dad just can't seem to handle it anymore. I know he loves him, but I guess my parents thought that maybe by now we would have all moved out, and they would have some more time alone.” Franny's face was slightly flushed as she finished talking.

Lewis spoke up again, “If their parents don't mind, I'd love both of them to come here. Gaston's pretty cool, and already seems like a brother. I know nobody here would be bothered by him. Can we do it, Mom, Dad, please?”

Bud looked to Lucille and they shared a smile, before he turned back to his son, and smirked knowingly at him. “I hope you realize son, that IF they agree to this, that you and Franny get separate bedrooms, for now, “ both Lewis and Franny blushed deeply, “but I don't think it will be a problem.”

Lucille joined in to say, “And I think that we need to start considering those plans for adding onto the house that you keep 'casually' leaving out for us to find. We're not dumb, you know, and I think you know more than you're letting onto, young man.” She smirked at him as well, and his blush, if possible, got deeper.

“Thanks, Mom, Dad, you're the greatest.”

He turned to look at his girlfriend. Without saying anything, he saw the gratitude, and more, in her expression. She saw the deep commitment he had for her. They just stared at each other, and moment after moment passed.

Joe smiled happily, at the young love he saw before him. Bud and Lucille held hands tightly, remembering a time in their lives that wasn't too different.

Nobody seemed to feel the need to say anything more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rose, honey, I know it seems sudden, but we can go over and see them as much as we care to, and it really makes things a lot easier on us.”
She nodded, but the tears still rolled down her face. “I know, dear, but it doesn't make it any easier. My poor babies are growing up.”

Wilbur smiled as he held his wife close. “Yes they are, but they will get along just find without us sitting over them every step of the way. And I get to spend more time with you, my sweetums.”

She smiled up at him, and they shared a deep kiss. All separations take time to heal, but she knew she could still see her children any time she wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaston had already been shown a bedroom, which seemed pretty normal, and they had helped him put his luggage inside, although it was still unpacked. Everything seemed to still be in a daze, after he had heard the news. They led him to another room, and when he entered, his jaw had dropped, and he couldn't believe his eyes.

The rest of the Robinsons, and his sister stood in the middle of a large room with a cathedral ceiling. A workbench lined one wall, packed full of tools, The back wall had shelving installed on it, with wood, and plastic piping, and even more materials he couldn't readily identify. The last wall looked to have thick steel plates, and a large bullseye painted in the middle of it. There were no windows, but that seemed to match perfectly with the utilitarian décor.

His sister walked over to the workbench, picked up a white helmet, and walked over to him.

“Welcome home, big brother.”
Sign up to rate and review this story