Categories > Original > Romance > Timepiece: Imari

Truth

by SADChan 0 reviews

Imari discovers another secret. This time it could be deadly.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-05-23 - Updated: 2009-05-24 - 4529 words

0Unrated
Ch. 10 Truth

The fire in my small hearth was almost out. My conversation with Jim had left me feeling restless, flustered and nervous. His eyes had portrayed something new that I hadn’t seen in them before and I couldn’t make heads or tails of it. His story distracted me from the encounter with Manheim but now as the flames slowly died away, Jim’s eyes were replaced by his as well as Bryant’s. I was angry. I determined to never call Bryant by his first name or title and I would not even give him the time of day—even if I happened to know what it was. His cruel behavior toward Jim and his mother were foremost in my mind and I had a sudden urge to search for his room that moment and knock his lights out. My thoughts toward Manheim were not anymore pleasant. I believed that the reason he had been acting so strangely was only to get a reaction out of me. I had to stop showing so much emotion around him.

The sky was a shade lighter through my window, warning me that if I wanted any rest at all now was my last chance, so I hopped into bed and laid my head down. Only a few hours of sleep were got out of my efforts. I waited in the bed for Diana to come help me dress. When she arrived I told her to take absolute care in dressing me and in doing my hair.

“O-ho! Trying to catch one of the gentleman’s eyes, are we?”

Actually, I just wanted her to take as much time as possible so that I could hold off telling Jim the complete story of where I came from and how I ended up in the middle of the ocean clinging to Manheim’s ship. The process however, only lasted a half-hour longer than before and she left me at a quarter to noon. I knew lunch was at one. I had to do it before then. I knew I wouldn’t be able to stand the suspense and so I left the room in search of Jim.

I was still unfamiliar with most of the corridors and soon came upon an unfamiliar stair case. I descended and found myself at the back entrance, for which I was grateful, knowing finally where I was. I moved my way past the kitchen and then stopped in front of a certain door which I remembered very clearly. The smell was still faintly present. Glancing about me I reached a hand out for the door knob.

“Miss Russel?”

I jumped and squeaked.

“Anthony! Oh, you scared me!” I put a hand over my heart trying to calm it.

“I’m sorry. What exactly were you doing?”

“Huh? Oh—well, I don’t know.” I stepped away from the door and pulled Anthony with me. “Actually, I’m looking for Jim. Have you seen him?” I didn’t notice that I had left my hand on his arm.

“Er, no. However, I don’t think you’ll find him down there.”

“I didn’t think he was down there, but thanks for the advice, anyway.”

“Imari.” An angry voice sounded behind me. I squeaked again.

“Jim!”

His face was dark and irritated. I let go of Anthony’s arm and grabbed Jim’s, pulling him after me.

“I need to talk to you.” I kept my eyes focused on where I was headed and didn’t dare to look back at him.

“What are you doing?” asked Jim, surprised.

I didn’t answer. I took him to the library and closed the door behind us. My hands were shaking visibly so I clenched them into fists and folded my arms to hide them. Jim was smiling.

“This is unexpected.”

I stood facing him but I kept a distance.

“I have something that I want to tell you.”

I stuttered at first, which only got worse as I went on with my recount of what happened to bring me there—at the time I needed to sound most believable, I looked like I was lying through my teeth! I told him that I came from America—not from colonial America, but from the twenty-first century. I told him about how my parents had died in a car wreck and then shortly described what a car was—basically a horseless carriage. I told him about Uncle Mike and the article I had read in the newspaper and his theory about time travel, then finally how I thought I fell through the same time-rip that Uncle Mike had gone through twice before. My heart was beating in my ears and I was wringing my hands uncontrollably.

Jim was silent. He stared at me with wide eyes. Did he believe me?

“Jim . . . I—”

The door was opened suddenly and we both jumped at the intrusion. Lord Bryant walked in and announced to use that lunch was about to be served and that the whole company was to come, as Lady Bryant was going to grace us with her presence.

“Mr. Blaine will be your partner this time Miss Russel, as we have no more men to accommodate our immediate needs. He’s waiting for you. I’ll take you to him.” He held the door open wider and held his arm out.

I glanced at Jim nervously who was staring at Bryant blankly. I wanted to say something to somehow apologize for forcing all of this on him at one time but I couldn’t, and the presence of Lord Bryant didn’t help. I left shyly and placed my hand on Bryant’s. He closed the door behind us, leaving Jim alone and led me slowly down the hall. I was lost in my own thoughts and didn’t hear Lord Bryant talking to me until he said my name.

“Huh, what? Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention,” I said.

“Did you have a private interview with Captain Manheim?” he inquired seriously.

I stiffened at the mention of his name.

“Yes.”

Bryant became rigid but somehow managed to keep walking.

“And what did you discuss?”

“I’d rather not—”

“Tell me,” he growled forcefully. I stepped away from him and stopped walking. He turned anxiously toward me.

“Hunting.”

He looked like he was about to pounce on me. So I continued hurriedly away. I met Anthony waiting outside the drawing room and he smiled his usual smile, which I tried to return without any sign of uneasiness. He took me into the room to wait for the rest of the men to show up. A few minutes later Bryant, Manheim and Jim walked in. Bryant had an older woman leaning on his arm. She was small and frail looking with dark gray hair and large dark eyes—Lady Bryant. Introductions were made short and the gentlemen took a lady and led them to the dining hall. Jim met my eyes only once, which he quickly averted making my heart plummet into my stomach.

The dinner I’m sure was good, however I don’t remember eating any of it. Everyone asked Lady Bryant questions and she in turn asked hers. I kept my eyes either on my food or on Jim. He never looked at me throughout the course of the meal. I found that having to wait for an answer unbearable. I was about ready to rip my hair out. What could he be thinking? The lunch ended soon enough without a word being spoken to me by anyone, not even Anthony who was probably to nervous to talk in front of all those criticizing adults. We all retired to the drawing room once again and Anthony excused himself saying that he had to return to his studies.

Jim let Sandra Cox sit at one of the couches and he situated himself in front of a window facing out. I watched him, desperately wishing that I could know what he thought. I could hear Lady Bryant talking to her son but I kept my eyes focused on Jim as if I wasn’t listening.

“Nicholas, who is that sitting by herself?” She asked severely.

“That is Miss Imari Russel, ma’am,” was his reply.

“Imari? What an odd name!” She said indignantly. She spoke loud enough for the room to hear if they listened close enough. “Not a Christian name I daresay, and her looks are certainly none the better. Just observe that ugly, crooked nose.”

Here, Miss Cox replaced herself next to Lady Bryant. I’m sure the heat I felt rushing to my face was not only from embarrassment.

“Yes, Lady Bryant, but one cannot much help a crooked nose,” she said. “There are those who are unlucky enough to be born with such deformities and then again some are just not capable of being pretty,” she noted my hair and clothes here, “even with the best of help.” The two of them nodded in solemn agreement and continued to criticize my appearance. Jim held his static position in front of the window. I couldn’t see his face. Was he laughing?

“You, girl. Miss Russel, was it?”

I turned slowly to Lady Bryant.

“How did you come by such a crooked nose? And what is that mark on top of it?”

“I broke it. It’s a scar.” I said simply as if I was speaking to a child. I had been trying to throw some insult back at her through my tone but she had taken it in a different light.

“Oh my, what very slow speech she has. Very stupid, I’m sure. Hardly able to carry an intelligent conversation, I suppose.” She turned to Miss Cox for consent which she gave. I saw Manheim watching me closely.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to leave before I exploded. I stood suddenly.

“If you’ll excuse me, I need some fresh air. It stinks in here.” With that I turned out of the room and with a snap of the door I ran out of the house. I ran through the back gardens and stopped once I was in a thick grove of trees. I fell to my knees and pounded the soft ground with my fists as hard as I could. I was more determined than ever to make it back to my time. There was no way I could bare another scene like that without losing it.

As my breathing slowed and the pounding in my ears silenced I could hear the sweet tones of children laughing close by. Standing I moved my way closer to it and slightly smiled, thinking of the children finally able to escape their cramped nursery at the top of the house. Anthony’s sweet and mischievous grin jumped into my mind as his laugh rose above the others. I could see a small clearing ahead where the children were playing some version of softball while their nurse sat on a small stump reading a book. Their bat was an oddly shaped stick full of knots and the ball appeared to be a collection of woven old socks. I hid behind the thickest tree near me and watched them silently, letting my frustration dissipate with the sounds of their excitement. Anthony had, along with the other boys, discarded his coat and suffocating cravat and was pitching to Alice, his younger sister. His youthful, athletic form was almost graceful as he tossed the second pitch. He cheered the loudest as Alice ran for first base, her small legs moving so fast they were a blur. I giggled softly at his obvious affection for his sister.

“There you are, Miss Russel!”

I frowned inwardly and turned stiffly to one side. Jim was taking a second to level out his breathing before he spoke.

“So you’re back to calling me Miss Russel, are you? Well, what do you want?” I said with apparent impatience.

He was surprised by my attitude and stopped before taking another step forward.

“Miss Russel, I–”

I cut him off by turning back to watch the game.

“I was just examining the fine view.” I commented with my best English accent. He was distancing himself again by not using my first name. He didn’t think we should be friends anymore. He didn’t believe me.
Jim came to stand at my side, half hidden by the same tree. He was silent, following my gaze for a moment.

“He’s a fine young man.” He said with a tense jaw.

“Yes. He is.” I replied softly, more to myself than to him.

“Though, I’m afraid he is too easily swayed and much too foolish to honestly be considered a real man.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked, my gentleness gone.

“I mean that he puts too much hope in you. I mean that he believes too easily that an older woman has feelings for him. I mean that you have been the means of making him believe there is a great attachment between the two of you.” He turned to me suddenly. “What I mean is that he is only fifteen—a mere boy! It is wrong for you to encourage him!”

“And what business is it of yours? You don’t seem willing to concern yourself with anything else about me. And you talk about Anthony as if he’s someone inferior to you—like you’re the real man to compare him with! Oh, yeah, you’ve really proved yourself a man!” I spat sarcastically.

“Miss Russel! Is that you hiding there?” Anthony bounded up the small slope to where stood behind the tree. My heart seemed to jump and fall at the same time. “We heard a shout and came to investigate. But it appears nothing is amiss . . .” his voice trailed off as he saw Jim glare in his direction. “I’m sorry. Did I interrupt something?” He forced his eyes out of Jim’s lock to glance at me.

“Shouldn’t you tend to your studies? Or are you already bored with the idea of going off to school?” Jim said annoyed.

“No, indeed I am not. But Kathy thought we should have some outdoor exercise to keep the children in a good attitude.” Anthony replied honestly.

“And a birthday party isn’t enough to keep your spirits up?” He spat with sarcasm.

Anger flared hot in me again. I slapped Jim as hard as I could.

“Stop acting like a spoiled kid!” I turned to Anthony and said, “No, you weren’t interrupting anything. I just wanted to come and join in on your game.”

Anthony glanced worriedly between us. “Are you sure it wouldn’t be improper?”

“I honestly don’t care if it is or isn’t!” And with that I grabbed his arm and stomped down the hill to join the game. I tried hard not to let my anger out on the ball or any of the other children. My knuckles were white and tingling by the end of the game and I had calmed down quite a bit. I was now angry at myself for expecting Jim to go against all he knew and grew up with and defend me openly. And then I had gone and slapped him! It had never occurred to me that Anthony might think I was interested in him and I felt a rush of guilt flow through me. The game had ended and the children had persuaded their nurse to have their lessons outside. I took myself a few yards away and sat down to think. I had to somehow correct what I had done to Anthony. Jim was right. According to their society I had acted very inappropriately and it had definitely seemed as if I had wanted to attract Anthony’s attention for a very serious reason.

The sun was beginning to fall behind the trees and as the children’s lessons were done, they began their way to the house. Anthony fell in step with me. He didn’t seem to be bothered by my presence.

“Anthony,” I said tentatively. “I hope I—” I choked on the words.

“Yes?”

“I want you to know that I never intended to make it seem as if I liked you. I don’t want to encourage you in any way but I don’t want you to think that I hate you either—” I burst out. “I didn’t know what I was acting like and I’m so sorry that I was so inconsiderate of your feelings.”

Anthony walked silently for a moment before he replied.

“Miss Russel, I must admit that for a moment I hoped that you did feel something of that sense for me but we are both young and I still have so much to learn before I could make a good husband. Besides, I could see that your affections were attached elsewhere.”

“What?” I asked confused. I of course immediately thought of my first crush, Elene’s brother. “How did you know about Alex?”

“Alex? No, I was referring to Mr. James Bryant.”

I stopped in my tracks.

“Wait. What? Jim?”

He nodded. The children in front called back to us and Anthony urged me forward.

“Lord Bryant asked if I would accompany you again for supper. Would you mind?”

I shook my head slowly, deep in thought. Jim? He thought I was in love with him? I couldn’t get much farther for immediately when I entered the door Diana was by my side ushering me to my room.

“And after all the hard work I did to make you look presentable you had to go and run around and now your hair is all in a tumble! Honestly, child!” She threw me into a chair and began work on my head. She pulled hard and used a wet comb to shape my hair. With all the yanking I couldn’t get very far into an idea before I had to bite my lips in pain. She then ripped the day dress off me and threw another over me. Before I had a moment to catch my breath I was again pushed out the door and onto Anthony’s waiting arm.

We didn’t talk. Anthony seemed to sense that I didn’t want to talk. We entered the dining room last and we sat opposite of Jim. I kept my eyes on my plate, glancing up only twice to find him watching his plate as well. I ate as little of the meal as I had during lunch. Lady Bryant announced, all too soon, that the ladies were to retire to the drawing room. She asked the men not to dwindle too long.

I reluctantly let Anthony pull out my chair. I did not want to return to that room where everyone seemed to set me up like a dart board and shoot their comments at me. I saw Jim glare at us from across the table and I winced. Anthony told me softly that he would not be able to join them in the drawing room afterwards. His mother had ordered him to stay away from me as often as he could. I didn’t say anything but gave him a look that I hoped expressed how sorry I was for causing him so much trouble.

When I entered the stuffy room I placed myself in front of the open window. There was a soft breeze and I closed my eyes. There was a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head and saw Miss Cox smiling at me through droopy eyes.

“Good Evening, Miss Russel.”

“Hey.”

“Excuse me?”

“Nothing.”

“Well, may I ask you something?”

“Shoot.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Well . . .” she glanced back to where Lady Bryant sat, watching us. “Is it true that Lord Bryant brought you here?”

“Yeah.”

“And do you have any previous acquaintance with Lord Bryant?”

“No.”

“Ah! I see. So then it is as I expected. His intentions are quite clear.” She turned away and started back to Lady Bryant while giving a short nod.

“What are you talking about?” I came up after her. She stopped in front of her seat and turned about.

“That Lord Bryant wants to make you his ward, of course.”

“However, if that is the case,” Lady Bryant interjected, “then I will need to know some things about you.”

The other ladies were listening intently from their seated positions while I was the only one standing.

“Who are your parents?”

“Oh, Lady Bryant,” Sandra said sarcastically, “you would not know them. People of their rank never associate with the upper classes. Isn’t that what you meant the other day, Miss Russel?” She smirked at me.

“I meant that they’re dead.”

This only made a small impression on Miss Cox—her smirk lowered about a centimeter.

“Where are you from?” Lady Bryant continued.

“Does it matter?”

“Of course it does! Everything that we will do for you depends on these matters! It will determine how much education Nicholas will fund and what kind of a husband he will find for you.”

“Exactly what authority does Lord Bryant have to make himself my guardian? And if you haven’t asked him straight out, how do you know that’s what he’s thinking?”

“Well, you certainly don’t think that his intentions toward you would be anymore condescending, do you?” Miss Cox laughed. “Or do you suppose that he is as easily caught as Mr. Blaine?”
Mrs. Blaine blushed but kept silent—it was not her place to disagree.

“It’s quite shameless how you act around that boy.”

“And what about the way you treat Jim?” I said angrily, the heat building up in my chest.

“Oh, that deluded boy. It makes me ill the way he follows my every move and has nothing better to do than to stare at me.”

“Yet if he weren’t like that you’d be angry that he didn’t, wouldn’t you? You selfish brat!”
The men entered just as Sandra jumped to her feet.

“How dare you! No one would take in such an ugly, disgusting, manner less orphan like you—not even Lord Bryant! How dare you!” The back of her hand struck my face hard. I lifted my fist furiously, but found myself being lifted off the ground and my arm pulled back by someone.

“Throw her out!” ordered Lady Bryant.

I kicked and screamed like a child in a temper tantrum, trying to get out of my captors grip. The person who held me was much stronger and I could not get out of the hold as he rushed out of the room and up the stairs.

“Let go of me! Let me go!”

“Calm down, Imari! Calm yourself!” Jim said in my ear. He released me and I spun around heatedly. I couldn’t say anything. I didn’t want to say anything. I turned and ran down the hall to my room and Jim followed. I shut the door in his face and braced my arms against it.

“Imari, what are you doing? Imari!” He pushed on the door. I pushed back.

“You heard what she said! I’m leaving!”

“Imari, I’ll talk to Lord Bryant. I’ll arrange for you to stay a while longer so that I can find another place for you to live.”

I slid to the floor and laid my head against the door.

“Now wait until I speak to him.”

He stepped slowly away as if he didn’t want to disturb a sleeping child.

“I’m alone Jim,” I whispered. “I want to go home to my friends. I will find a way home. And

I’m not coming back.” I don’t know if heard me. I never heard any more footsteps.

*

Diana arrived not much later and found me sitting on the floor crying. She didn’t ask any questions. After she had undressed me she brought in my bundle of clothes and I shoved them in my bag. I knew that if I tried to travel at night I would get lost and be no better off than I was. I sat at my window and stared out of it dejectedly. I watched the moon move through the sky for a long time before a thought struck me. If this was my last night here then why not have a little fun? I had become extremely curious about the catacombs. Without another thought I grabbed one of the candles that stood on the mantle and crept out of the room.

Moving my way slowly down the corridors and finally down the stairs I kept my ears and eyes vigilant for any sign of another person. I made it to the door without any problems. The door opened smoothly and was strangely quiet. Cold air surrounded me as I slowly entered the passage. I shut the door behind me and began to descend the stairs. The cold stone made me shiver and the cotton nightgown did very little to keep me warm. The stair case twisted and dipped and at times flattened out making me think that the actual catacomb was not directly under the estate.

My nose tingled with the smell. The farther I went the stronger it became. Finally, the stairs leveled out and the passage opened into a large room. There were large indentions made into the walls in which were laid black coffins. Each had a gold name plate nailed to their side. I had to come close to read the names in the dim light of my candle. I observed a lone coffin that lay crookedly against one wall.

I walked slowly over to it feeling a weight starting to collect in the pit of my stomach. Something urged me to leave and never come back but I repressed it. I searched the sides and cover for a nameplate which I found it lacked. My feet crunched as I walked over a pile of lime. The coffin was surrounded by the powder and some had been thrown on top of it. I moved my hand to the cover and tried to lift it. It lifted an inch and slipped out of my hand. I coughed. The smell radiated from it, but it didn’t deter me. I had to see what was in it.

I held the candle between my thumb and forefinger and then used both hands to throw the lid off. The stench hit me hard and made me step back. Holding my hand over nose and mouth and looked closer. The coffin did not hold one body—it held two. A body had been recklessly thrown on top of an older skeleton. The one on top was still deteriorating and was wrapped in a rough brown cloth with bird feathers sticking out from its edges.

I gasped as my candle crashed on the floor, leaving me in complete, nauseating darkness.
Sign up to rate and review this story