The project is discussed, the last of the planned flashbacks and Lucius discovers he made a mistake.
- I had to go back and reread the previous chapter. The omake with the dolby sound had me laughing for a while...
Did I mention I have a cracked rib from a car wreck last week? Ouch.
This is one of my favorite stories and pretty addicting. I intended to watch a movie while I ate lunch. (At work, no less. I have a great job.) Started reading this story and ran out of time so no movie. Boo hoo.
I'm not familiar with the Power kids bit. Background would be nice.
The wizarding world has no idea what they did when they let Harry back into their society. With an example like Tony to follow he won't just rock the boat, he'll build a carrier. For spacecraft. Revolutionize both worlds.
Btw creating air instead of having to carry it with you....
The scene with Malfoy was a bit of a surprise. Something like what I would expect in real life.
Great story. Write more. Please.
(#) vl100butch 2009-05-30 07:59:34 AManytime ole Lucy and the rest of the Malfoy's get what's coming to them is a good day....
personally, i'mz waiting for the next chapter of sun source....i can just see chuin kvetching about not being able to watch his soap operas at hogwarts!!!
- I genuinely enjoy this story. The main characters are believable and three-dimensional. They have understandable motives and often-complex psyches. This, combined with the generally well-thought out plot structure, makes for a very interesting, involving read. I like that you are keeping the episodic "One Year, One Volume" format. It divides up the story and makes it easier to focus on the plot.
Harry's project is very interesting, as is his idea of using "ambient magic" (zero-point energy in other words) as a power source. Hello instant, free and completely unlimited energy for almost any reasonable usage. Harry Stark? We have history holding for you on the white courtesy phone. What is really interesting is that the Slytherins were generally unable to accept the idea. I think we thus see the degree to which reactionaryism is a factor in pureblood politics.
Now that Tom's plan has been curtailed (and, I suspect, Lucius has been given a very severe fright), we can see a very different year two. I will be interested to see where you choose to take this year now. The key issue is, of course, that Dumbledore now has found out about the Horacruxes several months earlier and has the leisure to deal with them without having to juggle Fudge's bungling at the same time. I wonder if that will make a difference?
I did like the flashbacks. You can now see the degree to which Steve's idealism and the concept of trying to do the right thing, no matter the personal cost, has shaped Harry's personality. Harry has gone into Hogwarts with his eyes open - recognising what is likely to happen and that he will be surrounded by plots and threats. That has necessarily affected how he approaches things. Being aware of this probably explains why he went to First Year with basically a robot battlesuit. :p
Overall, a very interesting chapter of a very interesting story. I'll look out for more from you.
I'm still looking forward to the first meeting the witches have with Lightspeed and the rest of Power Pack. "Wait, your little sister can do what ?" ;)
BenRG's Rating: 8/10
Author's response- My intentions for the rest of year 2 and most of year 3 will be a development of Harry's relationship with his friends (Including a couple of new ones with their own agendas) and his relationship with Remus and Sirius. I've rarely treated those characters well in my stories and figure they're due some positive screen time.
- Flashbacks receive mixed reviews. Some people like them others hate them with the heat of a billions burning stars. They're done now, the past is, up to date, as it were.
- Harry's Hogwarts friends will be meeting the Pack (and others) the summer before 4th year. They won't be going to the World Cup needless to say.
(#) whatareyouevensaying 2009-05-30 11:49:50 AMBrilliant work, it was far too enjoyable to read Malfoy being tormented like that. I liked the casual mention of Draco trying to cement himself as the heir to the Black family. I have to wonder if the Malfoys are impertinent enough to attempt to sabotage any romantic entanglements Sirius might get himself into, or if they'll merely trying to stop his godson from inheriting.
Looking forward to more.
- First to the flashbacks, it's clear thats Steve and Tony have definitely shaped Harry, he's going into this with his eyes open and with as much information as possible and that's going to have some interesting on-going effects. I quite suspect that he's likely been doing some other research, too.
I like the way the diary problems were wrapped up early and I most certainly hope that Dumbles acts on this confirmation of what Tom's done to start dealing with the horcruxes earlier. I have to wonder how Harry's current situation is going to affect his relationships with Sirius and Remus, but it should be interesting to watch how things evolve. Meanwhile, Lucius has just been severely taught that "actions have consequences" and it's going to be very interesting to see if he survives, let alone if he still continues to support Tommy-boy. Too, I quite enjoyed the interactions between Filius and Xeno and I'd love to see more of that particular backstory.
Now, what Harry's attmepting should be very interesting just of itself, but I rather suspect that the spin-offs of this are going to have an even greater effect on the wizarding world; I almost feel sorry for those who don't see the potential and are going to be heavily blindsided by what develops. I do wonder how Severus will take it if Harry Stark eventually shows up with a totally magical version of his Datapad? I can see where magic could make for some very interesting effects.
Author's response- A young man is a collection of his experiences and the examples he chooses to follow. In this reality, Harry is lucky in both.
- The remainder of year 2 and most of year three will be dedicated to the relationship he is forming with his birth parent's friends (and the project) with a short intermission for Neville visiting over the summer before Harry visits Neville.
- Lucius' bad evening was generated by two things, first I wanted someone (anyone) to respond to the direct provocation that the Elder Malfoy provided. In canon all that was done was Dumbledore warned him against doing it again. Second, I've made Draco all too reasonable and I needed an impetus to drive him into his father's corner. Only time will tell if this will do it, because, sadly, Draco is adlibbing like mad in my head, and refuses to be the ass we all love to hate in this story...