Categories > Original > Fantasy

The Penguins

by -_-1 0 reviews

A cute story of penguins.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2009-06-01 - Updated: 2009-06-02 - 425 words

0Unrated
Yortey was aware of his existence. He was not sure of what he was. It was coldish, dark, and cramped. He was growing stronger by the day, feeding on the inside of his home. One day, he ran out of food. He didn't know what else to do but try to break free.

"Eep!" said Grewa's egg under her belly. She lifted up the flap she had warming her child. A little beak was peeping out.

"Come on, little one," she urged. His head was almost free now. Soon he was out. He walked out onto the snow and shivered, only to rush back to the comfort of his mother's feathers.

Yortey saw now he wasn't the only one of his kind that was here in the cold. When he walked out of his home, he saw others with the same gray feathers he could see on his wings. He might go back out some other time, but for now, he was exhausted.

"Come quick! Everyone! My baby has finally hatched!" Grewa called to the others. Many of the others waddled over to her.

"What will you name it, Grewa?" A large penguin asked.

"Yortey, I will name it Yortey," she replied, "Maybe him and Sarfe can become friends, Jersep."

"Possibly," Jersep agreed, with sadness on her face. Sarfe was an outcast, she was oddly colored, instead of gray, she was all white.

Yortey wondered what all the shouting was about. He wiggled a tiny bit out of his mothers pouch and looked around. He fell when he saw how close the others had gotten.

"Oh, there's the little one!" said Thoe, a petite adult penguin.

Yortey of course, had no idea how to speak the language yet so he just sat in silence. He looked up and saw his mother's face for the first time. He chirped with happiness. Everyone started squawking again. Soon, a little penguin, like himself, only white, came into view. He stared at her and she stared back, and she walked up to him only to tap him on the nose with her wing. He chirped in anger and stood up, only to slip back down. The white penguin squeaked with laughter and scooped up a handful of snow with her tiny wing and tossed it in his direction. It was cold. Yortey stood up again, with success, and did the same to her. Soon they were going at it like in a war, and after a little while, they were covered up to their necks in piles of snow.
Sign up to rate and review this story