Categories > TV > Dark Angel > We'll Fight Till The End!

Don’t Look Back!

by Loralee_jk 0 reviews

Category: Dark Angel - Rating: G - Genres:  - Characters: Alec - Published: 2009-06-10 - Updated: 2009-06-10 - 4149 words

0Unrated
Don’t look Back!

Max was having a really bad seizure on the ground. She was scared that they would take her away too. Her whole unit was standing around her telling her it was going to be ok. But they all knew it was a lie. Ben was whispering conferring comments in her ear. That’s what she loved about Ben. He always found the good in everything and everyone. Zack was holding her up, while Eva was holding her hand, letting Max squeeze it, and Tinga was rubbing her back trying to calm her down. Krit was holding Brien and Sly as they cried over Max. He was trying to quiet them so Max wouldn’t notice. They all knew what was coming.

To no one’s surprise two guards and a scientist barged into there room with tazzers readied and guns pointed. Zack and Eva disarmed them quickly. Zack then told them to get Max and get out. Everyone was scared and fear was clearly in the air. Eva took a dead man’s gun and lead the way. Zack fell back to help Max along side with Ben and Brin. The rest of the unit made a semi-circle around them to protect max.

They ran down the hall, quiet as the solders they were. Max’s seizures let up a little, at least enough so she could run by herself. She fell back in front of Jace. They were turning a corner and every stopped. Zack had made his way to the front of the line and passed the signal back to ‘stay quiet and low’ They all rounded the corner and Max waved Jace to follow, but she just shook her head ‘no’ Max waved her again, but she still insisted on not coming. They didn’t have time for this. So max had to leave her behind.

Just as she caught up with her unit, her Seizures began up again. Again her unit huddled around her. Zack and Zane supported her this time. A bright light shined on them out of nowhere. Eva walked to the front and pointed the gun she’d taken only minutes ago. She put her finger on the trigger and was about to fire, before she was shot in the chest and fell to the ground. Dead. Everyone was staring wide- eyed at the sight that had unfolded in front of them. A guard walk towards them, read to take Max away. Zack let go of her and snapped the man’s neck. Using his index finger and his thumb he pointed to the window before Krit and himself jumped through. Followed by Brin, Tinga, and Ben, who were followed by the rest of them. Max was the last to jump out. A guard had grabbed her but was shot in the chest. Maybe it had been Jace.

Max jumped out of the broken window and ran as fast as she could. Legs pumping and heart racing. She ran to a tree to hide from a helicopter light. The second it passed she kept running. She ran until she smelled her unit. She stopped and they must have smelled her too because they all popped up from were they were hiding under, or behind logs. She ran to them and beside Jondy. They clasped hand in a ‘we make it’ gesture. When they looked back at the others, they were already separating, into pairs of two. Zack signaled for her and Jondy to separate, from him but Max shook her head. She didn’t think it was a good idea. Zack signaled for them to leave again. Max still didn’t want to but Jondy was pulling on her arm. So they both ran to the fence.

Max and Jondy both heard Zack’s yell cut though the air. He’d saved their lives. He’d jumped in front of the guards so they’d see him, and stop following Max and Jondy. Zack had made a vow, a few years that he’d die before he let anything happen to anyone in his unit. He hadn’t been able to fu-fill it in the past few years, and because of it they’d lost a brother a few days ago and most of them if not all had been sent to Phy-ops. And Zack had always though there had been a way to stop it if he’d only tried harder. And today he had. Even though he was now being dragged back to Manticore barley contious, with tape on his mouth and was going to Phy-ops he was happy. He’d saved two members of his unit. And now they would be free. And that was more then enough to get him through Phy-ops. Just knowing they would be safe as long as they stuck together.

Max and Jondy both make it over the fence. They ran towards the forest and over a frozen lake. Max fell straight though. She felt the cold water all over her body, like a hundred stabbing knives. The current swept her away a little before she put her fingers on the ice above her to hold onto it. She heard Jondy yell for her, and felt bad for not being able to tell her to run and that she was for the most part ok. Snowmobiles and Helicopter could be heard even through the ice. Jondy heard them too and ran towards the forest. Max stayed still as Men walked on the ice above her and talked. She could barley hear what they were saying. Too many gun shots were going off. Four and a half minutes later Max came up from under the water and continued to run. She was trying to dodge the bullets that were being fired at her as Men chased her on foot and in their snowmobiles. There was nine of them in total. And who ever was shooting, was not a very good aimer. They’d shot everyone who was following her, as well as some other people that were following the rest of her unit. Not once had they hit one of there targets. Instead they’d killed 11 people, injured 36 and had blown up two tanks of gas that were attached to vehicles, witch in turn killed 6 more people.

Max was clear and ran through the forest, her feet were bleeding from all the twigs and wood she was stepping on. Her whole body was freezing, the fact that she’d just been in water and was now running around in nothing but a gown in the middle of November wasn’t helping either. The X5 knew if she made it to the road she may see Jondy or maybe even be able to hop on the back of a truck. When she finally reached the road she ran back into the forest. But it was too late who ever was in the car had seen her and was slowing down. A woman opened the door “Get in. Hurry. Come on.” she told Max. Max considered her options. She could either keep running, and risk getting cough or risk getting cough by climbing into this car. Max figured she could take her if anything happened so climbed into the car. The woman pushed her down so she was in a crouch position on the floor with her head down.

They drove for about 2 hours and 37 minutes before they stopped at a cabin. The woman opened her door and quickly jogged up to the door. Max opened her door cautiously and walked up to the cabin. “Come in. It's all right. You'll be safe here” The woman said as she ushered her in and placed a blanket around her, before she picked up the phone while Max looked around the cabin in awe.

“It's me. I need to see you. Yeah, now. I have a friend who needs a place to stay for a couple of days. No, she's just a kid, but she's got problems at home. She needs to find somewhere . . . safe. Look, I'll explain everything when I see you. Great. Thanks. Bye.” said the woman as she hung up the phone. She then told Max she had to go out for a little while but she’d be back and to just stay there.

After the woman left Max stayed there for a totally of sixteen minutes before she took one last look around the cabin, dropped the blanket she’d been given and walked back out in to the freezing cold, were she disappeared. She’d been trained not to stay in enemy territory for too long.

&
&


Alec was being dragged from his bed along with Loralee, by 7 guards. As they took them into the hall there he saw some others being dragged from their barricaded with the rest of their unites yelling and screaming from behind locked door. Just in front of him was Lane, who had been knocked out with a smack to the head. Behind him was Loralee, and Samantha. Both girls were being dragged in a different direction then him. Both were kicking, screaming and squirming, as they were dragged backwards. Along with another trangenic that he’d met a few times. X5-209. She accompanied his unit on a short mission once, were she’d received the name ‘Andreea’ from Lane and Biggs.

Alec knew why Loralee and himself were being dragged of to phy-ops, but why the others? Why Lane and Samantha? Why Devon, 657 and 735? Along with some other he didn’t know the designation of. What did they do? They hadn’t be part of him and Loralee’s little abomination.

Flashback

Loralee was planning on telling everyone of the boy she’d met while lost in the desert. She’d been returned to her unit and then they all had been deployed back off at Manticore and were to head back to there barricades. Before they had reached the door another helicopter had landed. It was the same one that Loralee saw pick up Seth. But when he got out of the helicopter he’d been taken from his unit towards Lydecker office while the rest of his unit marched towards another building.

That nigh Loralee told her whole unit of the X5 she’d met in the desert from X5-599’s unit. Some of the stories he’d told her of the stuff they’d done and things they’d learned. It was almost ten and it had been lights out for over an hour. And now Loralee and Alec were telling what they’d hear Zack tell Sly about an escape he was planning on executing that night. Loralee had told Alec about Seth before supper and he’d then asked her if she wanted to talk to him again. She’d answered yes. So they skipped supper to go find him. Alec knew were 599’s units room was so they went to check that place out first. Before they rounded the corer Alec had stopped them from going any further. There were voices around the corner, and both knew that one of them was 599’s. He was talking to a girl.

“So were going to do it tonight?” asked the girl.

“Yeah, I think so. They’ve already killed one member of our unit. I won’t let then take anemone...Listen Eva, if you think this escape is a bad idea tell me now. You’re my second in command. I need to know if you’re behind me on this 100%. If not then I don’t know if I can pull it off without you...Max’s seizures are getting worse and more frequent. I can’t let Manticore take her too. She may be a bit of a rebel but she’s still our little sister. And if this is the only was to keep her and the rest of us safe, then I think he should do it. Tonight!”

“But shouldn’t we wait until Seth comes back. And escape then?”

“No. we don’t know when he’s coming back if at all. We can’t risk it. Max may not make it till then.”

“O.k...If Seth’s not back by 22 hounded hours, then we’ll leave with out him...But NO sooner! k?”

“Ok. If he’s not back by then.”

Loralee and Alec stood there even after the conversation ended and they’d both left. They were planning an escape that night. And considering that Seth still wasn’t back from Lydecers, and that had been 6 hours ago, met he probably wouldn’t be back to his barricades until tomorrow morning. Only to find his unit gone. The blonde X5 felt bad for her friend. And there was nothing either of them could do.

“We could help them.” Alec suggested. When his friend gave him a questioned looked he explained. “Well there escape is going to be executed at 10:00 PM. That we know. We also know the quickest way out of here is the front, so there probably do it that way. Through a window or something. And when that happens Manticore is going to be on there ass before they make it to the fence. And IF they DO make it, only half of them will, and the rest will be captured and taken to Phy-ops and probably die there. But what if they had some backup?” Loralee was still giving him a look. So he continued “If were on the roof, with guns and shit, we can help more of them make it. Manticore will think its their people shooting at the trangenics. Look I know Lydecker. He’ll tell his men to just capture, unless they make it to the fence, then destroy. So if were shooting down all his men whenever they get close to one of them, more will make it. they’ll be free. As long as we keep Manticore away. ”

Loralee looked at him funny. “So you’re saying we’ll be hit-men on the roof and shoot down the humans when ever they get close to a trangenic, but were going to do this with out them knowing.” Alec nodded. “And were helping them because...”

“Because, it takes guts to try and escape. I know you’re still upset that we got dragged back in, a few years ago. But if we help them maybe they’ll make it and escape-”

“- Escape to what! What else is out there? They don’t know what they getting them selves into. And what if we get caught! There takes us to Phy-ops.”

“I know, don’t worry we won’t get caught. Manticore will be to busy to even notice a few extra gunmen. And I don’t know what they’ll escape to. Probably to a place were you don’t have to train all day, you aren’t learning how to kill people. Where you don’t have to wonder if this is the day you die, or if one of you’re unit members is coming back, or who they’ll going to take next. Who they’ll going to replace in you’re unit. If you’re next, or you’re best friends. Or when you get to go to Phy-ops for a surprise check up. A place that doesn’t want to know how long you can hold you’re breath before you die. A place that doesn’t care how long someone can torture you before you crack...A place were you’re free.”

“You really want to do this?” Loralee asked looking him in the eye. “Does it really mean that much ton you?” Alec nodded. “I want to know if it’s possible” he said with a straight face.

“Well I guess were going to find out then.” She smiled at him. “I know how badly you want to leave this place. I also know the only thing that’s hold you back is us. And that you could have escaped 100 times before this, but you didn’t because you couldn’t leave us.”

“I’d kill a hindered people for one minute of freedom” Alec said sincerely. “I know” she said looking at him “So if you really want to do this, then I’m with you.” “Thanks” he said simply. As they both walked back to there barricades in silence. They’d missed supper and would just have to go hungry.

It was 9:55 When Alec’s unit heard a gun shot go off. Loralee and Alec ran out the doors, towards the roof, each with a gun in hand, and with 4 more on the roof. ‘They must have decided to leave earlier, or Seth came back’ Alec thought. He ran down a hall were he could clearly smell fear mixed in with Anger. “ewww” He heard Loralee say under her breath. She smelled it too. They both rounded a corner and were heading towards the stairs. Alec stopped suddenly as he saw 599’s unit, the smells was coming from them. Or what was left of them. Most of then had already jumped through the window. There was only one left. A girl, she sort of looked like Samantha. A guard grabbed her and she screamed. Alec raised his gun and shot him in the cheats. The girl just pushed him off her and did a flip out the already broken window. “Come on!” Loralee urged him as she pulled his arm towards the stairs. He lowered his gun and began running again.

When they made it to the roof after climbing a pipe, 599’s unit, had already been scattered. One of them was being dragged back to Manticore. Alec zoomed in and to his surprise it was 599 himself. Alec was shocked that he’d been caught so easily. They heard helicopters and vehicles zooming and flying off. Loralee and Alec loaded their guns, Alec’s had only had one bullet left in it to begin with and he’d already used it. Alec zoomed in a saw what he was sure was a girl standing beside a frozen lake with a whole in it. “Someone must have fallen in” he said to himself.

Loralee was already firing at a group of people that were dragging back two X5. She shot all 6 while both X5 escaped. Alec aimed his gun at a group of men that were heading towards the fence, and shot 7 people. Killing 1 and injuring 6. They kept this up for almost four minutes, when Alec zoomed back to were the hole in the frozen ice was and a girl popped up from under the water a began running. 11 men followed her. Some of foot, the rest in snowmobiles. Alec shoot at all of them, and then blew up an army truck by shooting the gas tank. By this time they’d killed 11 people, injured 36. But Loralee had just blown up another truck and had just added 6 more people to the list. It was now 10:07 and they both figured they shod head back in case someone was doing a room check to make sure no one else was gone. They blurred down the stairs and towards there room in less then a minute. When they arrived They’re whole unit was in there beds.

“Guys” Alec whispered. “It’s just us” and with that everyone sat up to reveal they hadn’t been sleeping at all. Gun shots and screams could be heard even from inside the building. He could smell his unit was a little scared. He couldn’t blame them. He was too. What was going to happen now that Lydeckers ‘kids’ were gone? Was every thing going to get harder? Or were they going to ease up as bit so no one else thought about escape. Alec just told everyone to stay in bed and try to get a bit of sleep.

An hour later men with guns and teaser burst into their barricades and yanked Alec’s arm and pulled him out of bed, they did the same to Loralee before they left the room, with all of Alec’s unit yelling and banging on the doors. They were both dragged out into the hall were a few other were being taken away.

End Of Flash Back

Alec stoped squirming for a few seconds. He’d just been whacked on the head with the back of a gun. As soon as the black dots disappears Alec began kicking a squirming again. He was being dragged to some doors. Were he noticed all the girls were going in to the left and all the boys were going threw the right. But he knew beyond the doors was the same thing. Scientist that where going to pry you of everything you knew.

“AHHHHHH!” He heard Loralee scream at the top of her lungs, and then bite a man on the wrist. He dropped her, and immediately 3 other men came up to her and started beating her with the back of there guns. “GET AWAY FROM ME!” she screamed in an angry voice as two guard grabbed her by the wrists and started dragging her away. Even as Alec was dragged through the doors he could still hear her yells. “LET ME GO! I SWEAR IF YOU DON’T I’LL KILL YOU YOU SON OF A BIT-” That’s all he heard before a lowed smack of something hitting a skull echoed through the air, and her screamed fell silent.

Alec was slammed into a wall then hand-cuffed to it. “WHY ARE WE HERE?” he demanded. He already knew why he was here. But why were the others.

“You mean they didn’t tell you? Asked Lane who was handcuffed beside him with blood running down his forehead, and a cut on his cheek. Alec shook his head no. “Were there twins!” he said in an exhausted voice. “Who’s they?” Alec asked. “Them” Lane replied. “599’s unit. The ones that escaped tonight. The 09ers.” Alec looked at him deep in thought. He couldn’t think of anything to say, except- “Are they now called the 09ers because they escaped in 2009?” Lane looked at him, and laughed “yup” he said nodding his head. “And now were in here because Manticore want to make sure that it’s not genetic. To make sure we won’t try it too.”

“But why are you here?” Zane looked at him funny. “Because My twin tried to escape” He said. “That’s why were ALL down here, that’s why you’re here, and Samantha and everyone else.” “Yeah but you’re twin didn’t make it, he was dragged back, I saw him” Lane smirked at him “yeah but he still tried to escape...” He laughed a little. “Dame bastered, if I’m going to be down here, he should have at least got away.” Alec chuckled with him.

“But Loralee doesn’t have a twin in that unit” Alec said suddenly. Lane looked at him and gave a small laugh. “They really didn’t tell you anything did they.” It was a rhetorical question but Alec still shook his head no. “She was seen on camera.” Alec eyes widen as Lane continued “She was on the roof top shooting down Manticore soldiers. She was there allie” Alec really didn’t feel well now. The camera must have only shown her “And when she was in the desert, with that X5. Well he’d got cut, she ripped her shirt to stop the bleeding. But because Manticore is so paranoid they think they were sharing secret about stuff, so they want to erase her memory of ever meeting him. They think he convinced her to go to the roof.” Alec looked at Lane. “It wasn’t Seth that told her to go, it was me. I said we should help them” Lane looked at him in silence for a minute. “It’s not you’re fault. She would still be down here anyway. They still have to whip her brain and shit...look there’s not point in beating you’re self up over this. You can’t do anything about it” Alec was about to say something when Lane cut him off. “And don’t even think about saying it was you. They won’t believe you, and even if they do, all they’ll do is leave you both down here longer and have Loralee separated from you’re unit.”

Alec looked at him and nodded. Lane was right. Everything he was saying was true. “So How long do you think that we’ll be down here?” Asked Alec trying to change the subject. “Probably 4,5, maybe even 6 mouths.” Lane replied plainly. Alec simply looked off into space and said “damn”


review!
Sign up to rate and review this story