Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Company We Keep

Getting to Know You

by Quillian 0 reviews

Harry and Damian bond...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Harry - Published: 2005-05-16 - Updated: 2005-05-16 - 1760 words

2Ambiance
DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.

NOTE: I hope I'm not rushing things with Damian. Also, as for the dueling practice at the end of the chapter... think of the sparring program scene in "The Matrix" (minus the martial arts, of course). Furthermore, the Grand Flecture spell ("Hovequanta") is GreenGecko's own creation and can be found in her story "Resonance."

/PLEASE HELP ME!!!/ I'm not exactly an expert on "X-Men: Evolution" and I might get some things wrong and inaccurate. Is there anyone here I can call upon for help if I need to verify something?


Chapter 5: Getting to Know You

Harry couldn't sleep that night. As soon as he tried to fall asleep, his head kept filling with images of his parents, Cedric, or Sirius dying. Eventually finding himself unable to sleep, Harry just got up and wandered down to the kitchen, sitting at the table for lack of a better thing to do.

For what felt like a short eternity, Harry sat at the table, wondering what could be going on with his friends. The fact that he had been unconscious for a month and therefore not up to current events only helped feed his concern and fear. He missed them so much...

"Harry?"

Harry jumped and turned around; for a moment, he could have sworn he heard Ron. In fact, for a moment, he could have sworn he saw Ron, too, but it was the lighting that threw him off; it was Damian.

"Oh. 'Lo, Damian."

"Can't sleep?"

"Nope."

Damian sat down across from him. "Miss them, huh?"

"Yeah," Harry said quietly. "Not that I don't mind being here," he quickly added.

Damian shrugged. "I don't blame you. If I was in your situation, I'd most likely be acting the same way."

There was momentary silence until Harry spoke up again. "So, what's your story, if you don't mind me asking?"

Damian looked a little uncomfortable, but decided no harm could came from explaining his own past, since he more or less knew Harry's. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, Damian then told Harry his story.

"My dad was killed in the first war," he said. "He died before I knew him. I think a may remember a little bit of him, but I can't be sure."

"Sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, I know. Anyway, my mother and I fled here to the States. We lost a lot of our wealth in the war, so we had just an acceptable amount to get by on. She taught me magic herself, since we didn't have enough to send me to any of the magic schools over on this side of the pond." Here Damian swallowed, and Harry knew something bad had happened. "Not long after I discovered my mutant power, my mother... passed away. She contracted a kind of cancer which only witches and wizards can get."

Harry knew what it was like, losing a parent figure and not being able to do anything about it. "My godfather was murdered last June, so I know, at least in some ways, how you feel."

Damian nodded. "It was really hard. I would have been handed over to social services if Professor Xavier hadn't stepped in. I can't thank him enough."

"Er, do we have to pay him for all this? I can't exactly pay him right now, since they've surely frozen my bank account back at Gringotts..."

Damian snorted. "Don't worry yourself over that, Harry. He's got plenty of money; this mansion in itself is probably like a drop in the bucket for him. He helps pay for students who can't pay for themselves. Trust me, you're not the first one in this situation."

Trusting Damian's words on this, Harry shrugged and said, "Okay."

"Anyway, I still pursue magic on my own. The Professor has allowed me to use an unused laboratory for practicing potions and other types of magic. I can help you catch up on stuff, if you want."

Harry smiled. "I would like that."

"Maybe you can teach me some defense in return? I heard from the professor that you're good at that and even had to teach fellow students last year."

"I had no choice, but sure, I'll be glad to help... even if I don't have my wand with me anymore."

"Trust me, Harry: If you could use never-before-seen magic on a dementor like that, you can do and teach me normal spells."

"Done," Harry said, shaking Damian's hand.



The next morning, Harry and Damian headed straight for this laboratory the latter mentioned after having an early breakfast. It was bigger than Harry had expected; it was practically twice the size of the Gryffindor common room!

Taking out his own wand, Damian said, "Would you rather teach me things, or test the waters with your new powers?"

"Well, I think I'd like to know what I can do first, so maybe that."

"Good. Stupefy!"

Harry, having been caught off guard before, was relatively prepared for this. He automatically tried to shield himself with his hands, but before he could even utter the incantation for a Shield Charm, the spell hit a magical barrier and dissipated in a small shower of sparks. The barrier itself seemed to be made of particles of light which floated around, like some kind of force field from a science fiction story.

"Amazing," Damian commented. "I wonder if Merlin himself could have even done /that/! You can basically do whatever you want with magic, and not just normal spells."

"Whatever, now let's spar," Harry said with a grin.

"A word of warning," Damian said. "I may not be one of the best at dueling, but I know my spells."

"Word of warning acknowledged. Petrificus Totalus!"

It bounced off a newly formed Shield Charm, which Harry then had to avoid. They went after each other with basic spells, and when Harry moved in to try and weaken Damian, the older mutant merely used a Disarming Spell on his opponent, which blasted Harry across the room and into a wall.

Caught off guard and now recoiling from pain from his mistake, Harry looked up at Damian, who looked somewhat concerned. "Want to leave it here for today?" Damian asked.

"What? When I find out that I have incredible new abilities? Oh, heck no," Harry said, finishing off the last bit with lunging at Damian and jumping back into the duel.

Just as Jamie Madrox ("Multiple") was passing by the room's door, something caused a dent in it from inside, which made him jump and accidentally cause a couple of clones to appear. After collecting himself (literally), he rushed to the dining room where the others were eating and said, "Damian and Harry are dueling! Magic!"

Everyone rushed from their meals over to where the action was. Damian's "laboratory" was actually split into two sections: One which was for Potions, which was connected to the door in and out; and a section where one could duel or practice spells. A magical barrier designed by Damian and the Professor himself made it so no runaway spells could cause damage to the other half of the room.

The other mutants were watching on the sidelines, merely watching two teenage wizards duel with something akin to awe. Damian would use some new spell on Harry, and even after being knocked down, Harry would just jump back into the fray.

After a few minutes, things began to get tense as even more powerful spells were used.

"Multae Arenae!" Harry shouted, unleashing a swarm of spiders on Damian with the Spider-Bogey Hex.

"Spiculae Argentae!" Damian retaliated, impaling the spiders with Silver Dart Curse.

"Inretio!" Harry yelled, hoping to trap Damian with the Net Jinx.

"Hovequanta!" Damian countered, using the Grand Flecture to throw the net aside.

As if in sync, both of them turned to more powerful moves. Damian transformed into a dragon and shot a stream of fire just as Harry gathered magic from all around him and shot it a glowing beam of energy.

The two forces collided and countered one another, neither of them gaining ground, although the room started shaking...

"That's enough, I think," announced a voice from the doorway.

Professor Xavier entered, followed by Logan, Ororo, and Hank, respectively looking neutral, worried, grumpy, and interested.

Realizing that they had probably gone far enough, Harry and Damian stopped what they were doing, undid the barrier, repaired all the minor damage caused, and apologized for taking things a little out of control.

"Well, that's what the training room's for," the professor said with some cheerfulness. "At least you didn't cause any damage to anything or anyone, which I am partially impressed with."

"Yes, they can do magic, now I need to go back to my coffee..." Logan grumbled, which caused all the younger mutants to back up an inch.

"I have good news, Harry," Xavier told him. "You'll be able to train with us in a few days. We're just 'adjusting' some things to be able to withstand your new powers."

"Thank you, Professor."

After all the other mutants had left, Damian set up his potions lab while Harry got his potions ingredients. Damian agreed to help him with Potions, in case Harry had any trouble (although he was sure the only trouble he ever had was Snape swooping around like a big great bat).

After doing a couple of basic potions, Damian moaned and explained, "Oy, I can't believe I forgot..."

"What?"

"We here at the Institute have codenames. Ororo's is 'Storm,' Logan's is 'Wolverine,' Scott's is 'Cyclops,' and so on. We need to think of something good for you."

Harry frowned. He hadn't thought about that.

"Yes, well, we'll think of something."

"And what's your 'codename,' Damian?"

Looking somewhat proud of himself, Damian said, "I got the idea from my self-taught Astronomy courses: /Draco/."

Harry dropped his stirrer for a moment, and then slowly turned to face Damian with something akin to shock on his face. The next moment, Harry suddenly burst out laughing, with no signs of stopping any time soon.

"What!?" Damian yelled, confused. "What's so funny about my codename!?"



TBC...

A/N: So, what do you think of Damian /now/? XD

Next chapter is where Harry continues to try to fit in at the Institute... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story