Categories > Original > Drama > Rain Child

Finally On Our Own- And With My Best Friend

by westie 0 reviews

“El, if you don’t stop running around, I’m going to lock you out of the house,” Seth warned me.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-06-24 - Updated: 2009-08-26 - 734 words

0Unrated
Seth: May I please have some cake?
Elli: Why, yes sir, you may.
Okay, I know it’s boring so far, but I’ve already got half this story written. I just have to post it.
It’s going to get good, I promise. And the posts get longer, too.


Chapter 2
Finally On My Own- And With My Best Friend
Elli’s POV

Seth and Elli move to their own dorm together. Elli’s pov.
“Uh, mom?” Seth fidgeted nervously.
Mom stopped stirring the soup she was cooking and turned, looking first at Seth and then at me. “Yes?” she asked.
“Mom, we were wondering if, maybe…” He couldn’t finish his sentence.
I rolled my eyes after a moment, sighing heavily. “We wanna move out,” I said, without a hint of remorse.
Mom dropped the spoon she was holding. It fell to the ground with a clatter, making Seth flinch.
“Why would you want to do that?” she asked, not bothering to pick up the spoon. She seemed on the verge of tears.
“Because we’re not 2, mom,” I stated. It really wasn’t this hard. My mom could be so stupid sometimes.
Mom stared at me with a slightly shocked expression. “Yes. Yes, I guess you’re right,” she whispered, looking at her hands. She bent down and picked up the spoon. She walked over to the sink and began washing it.
I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Beside me, Seth visibly relaxed, too.
“But, kids,” she said, her voice cracking, “promise me you will call me and tell me how you’re doing, at least for a little while. I ‘m still your mother, even if you don’t live with me, and I do love you and worry about you.” I rolled my eyes.
“Sure, mom,” Seth said without a hint of sarcasm. I looked at him like he was crazy. What had happened to make him agree to that, of all things?!?
Mom looked relieved.
“Thank you, Seth,” she said, her voice cracking. “I’ll be sure to tell your father when he gets home. You two go pack, and I’ll help you look for apartments.” I rolled my eyes again and headed upstairs, Seth following close behind.

I had suggested to Seth that we share an apartment, because we wouldn’t be able to afford one by ourselves. It wasn’t like it would be that much of a difference; we’d been living together for 17 years. Why should we stop now?
Our mom found a dorm room we could share. The rent was low, meaning we wouldn’t have to work full time. It was insanely small, but it had two bedrooms, which was enough for us.
We moved in all our stuff that weekend, using Seth’s truck instead of having to rent a moving van. All we needed were our mattresses, clothes, and bathroom stuff. The campus we had moved onto provided basic furniture, like a couch, chairs, a table, a fridge, etc.
I was ecstatic, running first into my room and jumping on my mattress, then running up the stairs to Seth’s room and jumping on his mattress. I was so happy to be out of my parents’ house, but I was even happier to be independent. I felt five years older.
“El, if you don’t stop running around, I’m going to lock you out of the house,” Seth warned me. I laughed and sat down on his bed. I watched him unpack a box and dump it on the ground.
“I feel like we’re in college,” I told him.
“We might as well be,” he replied, smiling.
“It sucks that we still have to go to school,” I said, moving to the window.
“Yeah, but dad said that if we dropped out of school, he’d make us come back home and he’d take away all our stuff,” he reminded me. He pulled out a boxy-looking thing and handed it to me. “Could you plug that in for me and turn it on?” he asked.
I did so and soon the radio played. I stood up and started dancing around the room, laughing my head off.


Awww, that’s kind of sad, the whole mom thing. But it’s okay. Seth is nice to his mom later in the story.
Loves and snuggies,
♫♪Wessie♪♫
Sign up to rate and review this story