Categories > Original > Romance

Stranded

by SweetSarmoti 0 reviews

Addy and Kyle are driving along a highway in the middle of nowhere one night when the truck breaks down.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2009-07-22 - Updated: 2009-07-23 - 1159 words - Complete

0Unrated
Title: Stranded
Author: Allison Wonderland
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Addy and Kyle are driving along a highway in the middle of nowhere one night when the truck breaks down.
Warning(s): Incest, language, m/m, minor, original characters, oneshot within a series, transgender, warm and fuzzy feelings, yaoi
Disclaimer: Mine.
Series: Feel That Fire
Word Count:
Note(s): Takes place about a month after Addy and Kyle leave home.

~*~

The bright green letters of the clock on the dashboard of the truck Kyle’s daddy had given him just before he had died of pancreatic cancer read 11:38 and the little green light next to the letters PM were lit up. Kyle knew the clock was off by a few minutes but he could never remember if it was a little too fast or a little too slow. Either way, they should have stopped for the night at least three, maybe four, hours ago. But they were traveling through Virginia now and Virginia was – apparently – the land of cottonfields, farm houses, and not much else. Kyle had been ready to stop for the night around eight o’ clock, just like they had done every night for almost a month but since eight o’ clock they had seen nothing but cotton fields and the occasional farm house.

On her end of the bench seat Addy had kicked her flip-flops off a long time ago. That alone was nothing unusual and hardly surprising. What was unusual and surprising was that Kyle couldn’t remember when or where she had taken her shoes off. He was almost sure that if he were to wake his girlfriend – not that he was going to until they got to the next motel – that she wouldn’t be able to remember either. Addy had forced him to watch one of her chick flicks once – something about a teenage girl living in Wal-Mart and giving birth there – and the main character had lost her flip flops through a hole in the floor boards of the car. Kyle could honestly say he knew Addy’s flip-flops had not disappeared that way. How they had disappeared, he couldn’t say but even in the dark he knew they were not in the footwell on either side of the truck. About a month ago when they had left home – most likely for good – Addy had been barefoot and had not had time to find a pair of shoes. They had been running from their parents and the cops and it had been a three days before Kyle had finally noticed her lack of footwear. He had stopped briefly at a Wal-Mart to buy each of them a change of clothes and Addy a pair of flip-flops. She liked everything to be red but for once she had changed her mind and decided on a pair of neon green flip-flops that glowed in the dark.

To say that her shoes looked odd with her favorite poofy-skirted white cherry print dress was a gross understatement.

The radio changed to static suddenly and, without even looking at the dials, Kyle reached out and pushed the button to turn it off instead of trying to find another station. He glanced over at Addy curled into a little ball on the passenger seat of the car. As he did they passed one of those bright blue signs that seemed to be alongside every highway in the country, the kind that most often announced food and lodging and how many miles it was to each. The sign went past too fast for Kyle to read it but he felt somehow comforted by the knowledge that there was civilization somewhere ahead. It had been so long since they had passed another vehicle he was starting to feel like he and Addy were the only two people alive in a land of cottonfields and one endless highway.

“Hey!” he said loudly. “Wake up!” Addy was curled up on her end of the seat, her back to the door as she leaned against the black leather upholstery of the back of the seat. One bare leg – Kyle had never noticed before but he really needed to get her some longer shorts – was drawn up with her knee bent so it almost touched her chest. A black paisley print elephant she had named Benny rested between her knee and her body. Addy’s left thumb was in her mouth and her right arm lay across her lap, hand resting lightly on Benny. Her right leg was stretched across the seat, knee slightly bent, with her foot almost in Kyle’s lap. Kyle wrapped his hand around her ankle and tugged on it.

“Don’t!” Addy whined around her thumb, still mostly asleep.

“Addy, come on. It’s time to wake up.” She had been asleep long enough because if he let her sleep too long she’d be cranky and irritable when she woke up, not to mention that it would take forever to get her back to sleep. Kyle had been putting Addy to bed every night for four years, ever since she had been his ten-year-old brother Addison. He knew it was a hard skill to master. If she wasn’t tired she obviously couldn’t fall asleep easily but on the other hand if she was too tired she became whiny and cranky and too tired to sleep.

She whined something incomprehensible and kicked his leg. Hard.

“God damn it!” Surprised, Kyle jerked away from her foot. His own foot came down harder on the gas and his hands left the steering wheel to make a grab for her ankle again. The truck swerved across the centerline and toward the cottonfield on the other side of the highway.

“Kyle!” Addy shrieked, wide-awake now.

Kyle cursed. He turned his attention returned to the road a moment too late. There was a sickening crunching sound and the truck came to a sudden, bone-jarring stop. He glared out the windshield as he slumped down in his seat. Fuckin’ figures, he thought. One tree in this god forsaken place and we’d have to hit it.

On the seat beside him Addy stared out the windshield not at the tree that had caused the accident but at the cotton field behind it. Slowly, she shook her head. “Oh, god,” she whispered barely loud enough for Kyle to hear. “It’s just like in Jeepers Creepers.” They were going to die. She just knew it. Her thumb crept back into her mouth without her even realizing it.

Kyle could have told her it wasn’t anything like Jeepers Creepers. He knew he should have. It had been a corn field in the movie, not cotton and there was no such thing as…whatever that monster thing had been. But he didn’t say anything. Let her worry about it for a while, he thought. It’s her fault we’re in this mess anyhow.
Sign up to rate and review this story