Categories > Original > Romance > Words Unspoken

Words Unspoken

by SweetSarmoti 0 reviews

Part of my Stand Still, Look Pretty series. When Raven becomes seriously ill Taylor starts to rethink their 'just friends' relationship.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2009-08-01 - Updated: 2009-08-02 - 2561 words

0Unrated
Title: Words Unspoken: Chapter One: Good Morning Sunshine

Author: Allison Wonderland

Rating: PG-13

Series: Stand Still, Look Pretty

Pairing: Taylor/Raven

Summary: Raven wakes up, realizes he is not feeling well, and spends the rest of the afternoon annoying Taylor

Warning(s): Homosexuality, language, mentions of sex but no actual sex.

Feedback: Slut for it.

Disclaimer: While Raven and Taylor are based on real people, I own all characters and all situations. Do not use them without my permission.

Note(s): None, really.

Friday, November 3, 2006

1:00pm

On the morning of the day that Destiny had chosen to launch the events that changed the lives of Raven Reyes and Taylor Rochette forever, Raven awoke to the faint strains of Reba McIntyre’s The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia coming through the thin wall separating his bedroom from the main room of the apartment. It was not the way he had wanted to wake up. Before meeting Taylor he had despised country music on the rare occasions when he had taken the time to think about it. Six years after their first meeting he had come to tolerate it and, although he would rather die than admit it, he actually liked several of the less twangy songs Taylor had exposed him to, like that one about the red high heels. Raven had his own red high heels – several pairs of them in fact – and he knew what it was like to walk away from a man in them. Still, there was one thing about Taylor’s love for country music that irritated Raven so badly he wanted to scream: Taylor singing along with his music. Taylor’s ability to sing on key was right up there with Raven’s ability to ride broncing bucks or whatever it was those horses were that Taylor had ridden in the rodeos back in Montana. Which was to say that Taylor sounded like a dead cat screeching when he sang along with the radio, a fact Raven was never hesitant to inform him of.

But at least he could not hear Taylor through the wall. Still, Raven groaned and buried his face in the stomach of a big pink Care Bear that always resided on his bed. He tried to pull his comforter – green with flowers and ladybugs on it – over his head but half of it was hanging on the floor and the other half was tangled so tightly around his legs that he found it impossible to pull it up far enough to snuggle under it without working to untangle it first. That woke him up enough that he no longer wanted to go back to sleep. “Fucking mornings,” he complained loudly, although not loudly enough to be heard out in the main room of the apartment over Taylor’s music. It was well into the afternoon, nearly 1:00 but Raven intentionally overlooked that. Whenever he woke up it was morning even if it was 4:00 in the afternoon.

Still dressed in the pink Hello Kitty tee shirt and army green sweatpants – those had to be Taylor’s because Raven owned neither sweatpants nor anything that was such a boring color – that he had worn to bed, Raven pulled his bedroom door open and stepped out into the main room of the apartment, his right hand coming up to rub his eyes. “Fuck,” he muttered again. The contrast of the darkness of his bedroom to the sunlight-infested living room was alarming to his unadjusted eyes.

“I wondered if you were going to grace the rest of the world with your sparkling presence today or if I was going to have to come in and drag you out of bed in time for the premiere tonight,” Raven’s roommate, best friend, and business partner Taylor Rochette said. He barely glanced up as Raven emerged from his lair but that one glance was enough to make him thank whatever gods were listening that his sketchpad was covering his lap.

Taylor knew Raven believed he looked his hottest when he was dressed in his most stylish clothes with a fresh coating of make up on his face and every hair perfectly in place. Taylor disagreed. He too thought Raven was beautiful when he was dressed to go out but there were times when he believed Raven looked hotter, more beautiful, without even trying. Before their romantic relationship had ended Taylor had loved lying in bed in the mornings – or afternoons – watching Raven. It always took a long time for him to wake up. First there were all the little flittering movements he made as he tried to fight the inevitable awakening. Then came the wiggling and finally Raven’s eyelids would flutter open momentarily before he rolled over and hid his face against Taylor to block out the day.

It had been almost a year – eleven months and five days to be exact – since Taylor had last been treated to that little performance. But the Raven who had emerged from his bedroom was beautiful too. He stood in the doorway rubbing his eyes. His normally immaculately styled pale blond hair was tousled in a way that was both childlike and sexy as hell. His eyelids, for once not smothered in eye shadow, were half closed over deep blue eyes; long dark lashes brushing pale cheeks when he blinked against the light. Raven’s perfect, straight nose – not the one he had been born with – led down to full lips, kisssably pink even without the sparkly lip gloss he favored. Taylor remembered all too well how those lips felt pressed against his own or wrapped around his cock.

Raven wore another of his endless supply of pink tee shirts. This one had a white ‘Hello Kitty’ logo on the front of it and had ridden up in the front to reveal Raven’s flat, pale stomach. Not even a year ago Taylor had often threatened his then boyfriend with one large, tanned hand poised directly above his oh-so-ticklish stomach. It was one of the most sensitive spots on his body and the slightest touch could make him laugh and try to wriggle away. Raven’s army green sweatpants – Taylor took a second look – Taylor’s army green sweatpants – were at least two sizes larger than what he usually wore and hung precariously from Raven’s sharp hip bones as if threatening – or perhaps teasing – to fall off if he made one wrong move. His feet were bare and his toenails, as well as his fingernails, were painted with ruby red glitter.

Raven glared at his best friend, unhappy about not having Taylor’s full attention. He was never satisfied unless he was the center of attention and quickly lost interest if he was not. Taylor still sat on the area rug in the middle of the living room, his back against the darker green sofa and a wire bound sketchbook in his lap. He had only glanced up once when Raven had first opened his bedroom door. Raven waited a moment and when it seemed that not only did he not have Taylor’s attention but that he was not going to get it, he fixed his own gaze on Taylor.

But observing Taylor was never hard.

Taylor was without his usual cowboy hat for once and his dark brown hair, the longest Raven had ever seen it, curled over his forehead in the front and down to his collar in the back. Once, not so long ago, Raven would have moved Taylor’s sketchbook from his lap, replaced it with himself, and spent several hours – or at least until his attention wavered – playing with the younger man’s hair. Now he only turned his attention to Taylor’s clothes, an endless source of fascination for Raven. It was early November but even so Taylor’s shirt was sleeveless, showing off tanned, muscular arms. What was left of the button down shirt after Taylor had relieved it of those pesky sleeve things was white, the boringly plain color broken only by random pink, blue, and yellow outlines of something that appeared, to Raven, to be the skull of some horned animal. Raven knew, even without the help of the word ‘Fantasticka’ – the name of their clothing label – written across the front of Taylor’s shirt in big pink letters, that it was one of their designs or, more specifically, one of Taylor’s designs.

Raven’s eyes continued downward. Taylor’s jeans – oh, god, those jeans! – Were just as tight as usual and more holes through which skin was visible than denim. They left almost nothing to the imagination – although what Raven wanted most to see was unfortunately covered by one of the few places where Taylor’s jeans were free of holes – and hugged his legs right down to bare feet that were usually covered by cowboy boots. Raven hated that particular pair of jeans. Or, rather, he liked them too much and tried his hardest to keep his eyes on something above Taylor’s waist when he wore them. If he happened to catch a glimpse of Taylor from the front when the dark haired man was wearing those jeans it was all he could do to restrain himself from jumping on him and begging to be fucked. But one glimpse of Taylor’s ass in those same jeans made Raven want to drag him off to bed and plunge his hard cock into that hot, tight ass, assuming a role with which he was not exactly inexperienced but with which he was definitely unfamiliar. Sometimes Raven thought his best friend wore those particular jeans just to torment him.

“What premiere?” Raven asked, his best friend’s words from several minutes ago finally penetrating his sleep-and-thoughts-of-sex-with-Taylor addled mind as he gave up trying to develop x-ray vision to see through the other man’s jeans. He padded barefoot across the hardwood floor to the expensive green Japanese print carpet and curled up on the corner of the couch directly behind Taylor. Raven took advantage of his situation to peer over Taylor’s shoulder at the page of his open sketchbook. “Ooh!” he squealed loudly. He realized belatedly that the headache that had been troubling him the day before had not gone away. Despite the excruciating pain in his head, Raven continued babbling. “That is so fierce! Which one is it?” Over the past week several orders for dresses for upcoming holiday parties had come in and needed to be started on immediately. Taylor was spending a week in Montana for Thanksgiving while Raven…did whatever it was that he did for the holidays and they wanted as many of the dresses finished by then as possible so the interns at the office could ship them during the week when there would be nothing else for them to do.

“You forgot already, didn’t you?” Taylor asked. He knew he should not have reminded Raven that there was a premiere tonight. Maybe then they could have gotten some of the work done they had stayed home from the office to do. When they had an important project to work on, Raven and Taylor stayed home from the crowded, noisy Fantasticka offices to work on it without the distractions and noise that were an everyday part of working at and owning Fantasticka. They decided to start early that morning but it seemed that Raven’s idea of early morning was any time after noon. “You wanted to go to the premiere of…” Taylor let his voice trail off as he tried to recall the name of whatever movie it was his best friend had been gushing about ever since he had first seen the previews. He knew it was something targeted at age twelve and under but the problem was that Taylor had started tuning Raven out after the first few episodes of “Oh my god, Taylor! We have to see that!” “That one CGI movie you insisted on dragging me to,” he replied in response to Raven’s first question.

“Happy Feet!” Raven squealed and the same sharp pain went through his head again. He moaned softly. “Fuck,” he muttered for the third time that morning.

Taylor finally gave Raven the attention he wanted. “What’s wrong?” he asked. The first thought to cross his mind was that there was nothing wrong and Raven just wanted to be the center of attention. Then he turned to look at Raven.

At just a glance Raven had seemed his normal, bouncy, mildly annoying self. It had appeared that the only thing amiss was that he was half asleep. But upon closer inspection… “You look awful,” Taylor said and immediately regretted it. Raven was even more pale than usual and there were dark circles beneath his blue eyes. But what actually caused Taylor to worry was Raven’s lack of smiles and laughing and bouncing up and down.

Instead of offering up one of his snarky remarks, Raven only rubbed the back of his hand across his eyes. “I feel awful,” he admitted. Raven’s head hurt worse than it ever had after a night of partying. His throat felt scratchy and raw, his stomach hurt, and he was fairly sure he had a fever too.

To Taylor, and probably the rest of the world as well, that was only slightly less obvious than Raven’s homosexuality. It normally only took only a few minutes for Raven to completely wake up and, once he was completely awake he bounced around like a two-year-old on a sugar high. This quiet, still Raven was worrisome; the change from his normally hyperactive, happy, sort of annoying self was frightening. It took a lot to make Raven sit still. “What’s wrong?” Taylor asked again.

“It’s just a headache,” Raven claimed, although he knew it was much more than that. “Maybe my cold came back or something.” Earlier in the week Raven had exhibited much the same lethargy and docility, although to a much lesser degree. He had been sure it was only a bad case of the sniffles but Taylor had persuaded him to see a doctor anyway. However, it seemed the twenty-four hour flu had made half of New York City ill at the same time and before an appointment had become available yesterday Raven’s symptoms had gone away. Now it seemed that yesterday had only been a temporary respite and he was beginning to regret not having gone. Perhaps if he had he would not feel quite so ill now, on such an important day. The Happy Feet premiere was tonight. Raven had been looking forward to it for months. It would take more than a little cold to keep him away.

“You need to see a doctor before it gets worse,” Taylor advised. “I don’t want you getting sick now, not when we’re going to be so busy this week.” He did not want Raven getting sick at all. A sick Raven was a cranky Raven and Taylor had to live with him.

“I’m going to have a shower now,” Raven decided, purposely avoiding acknowledging Taylor’s words. A shower always made him feel better. Then he would lie around in his favorite pajamas all day and annoy Taylor until it was time for the party.
Sign up to rate and review this story