Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Inference

by alternatepersona27 0 reviews

Amazing Bouncing Ferrets in your pants!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dobby,Lucius,Snape - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-03 - Updated: 2009-08-04 - 3218 words

-1MarySue
Another relatively short chapter. I am trying to give some background and some set up for what happens next and it’s hard to do that and make the chapters long, without giving away too much. It should start getting good in the next chapter or so.

So onto the chappie…

Last Chapter…

“We have the privilege of giving you fine ladies a tour of this most prestigious castle.”

“Yes, Mr. Malfoy, I believe you do.”

Snape smirked at Aurelia’s deliberate snub. Knowing whom the pale blonde man was implied that they were aware of his social status. Therefore they should know to address him as Lord Malfoy. However, he could not correct the address without appearing snobbish and elitist. Malfoy tapped the butt of his cane against the floor and his smile stretched thin.

“Please, call me Lucius. Now, shall we begin?”

Chapter 5 – Of Inference

The tour took longer then the three girls had expected. It was well past lunch when they arrived in front of a large painting of a bowl of fruit. Snape reached out and ran a finger along the pear, which giggled. Ariadne raised an eyebrow. The painting swung open to reveal over a hundred house elves working diligently. Dobby, the enthusiastic elf who helped them with their luggage earlier, rushed forward.

“Mistress Ari! Mistress Oly! Mistress Aurel! What can Dobby do for yous??”

The elf bowed deeply and tugged on his ears. Olympia winced at the nickname and Ariadne laughed softly. Malfoy’s eyebrows disappeared into his hair and Snape snorted.

“Well, Dobby. We missed lunch. Could you maybe get us something to eat? All five of us.” Ariadne smiled kindly at him.

“Of course, Mistress. Dobby is doing that right aways. What can Dobby get for yous? ”

“Whatever was served for lunch is fine, Dobby.” Olympia smiled at the tiny, excited elf.

The small group sat at the end of a table that the other elves had cleared for them. Within seconds, mugs of pumpkin juice and large plates of chicken and potatoes were placed in front of them.

“Thank you, Dobby.” Aurelia said to the small creature, who beamed brightly.

“Severus, do you live in the castle all the time?” Ariadne asked, examining her food skeptically.

“No, actually. I own a manor house in Northern England, Prince Manor, but I do remain here most of the time. Are you all planning to live within the castle all year?”

“No. Dumbledore set up private transportation for us, to allow us to return home when we need. We will be dividing whatever time we have between the castle and Salem, Massachusetts.” Olympia answered.

“Won’t that be very taxing on you? So much travel?” Malfoy interjected.

“I am sure if we can find the time to each teach two subjects as well as do private tutoring and fulfill our duties as a Coven, that we will be fine traveling a short distance every once in a while, Lucius. Unlike the women of the British Aristocracy, we are perfectly capable of doing as much if not more then men do, while having families at the same time. American women have been achieving great things for over a hundred years now. I am sure we can handle it.”

Ariadne turned back to Snape, when she finished speaking. Malfoy’s eyes widened at the curt and venomous dismissal, then narrowed and his lip curled.

“Do you have a problem with me, Mistress Aureus?”

Ariadne smirked at his defensive posture. “Yes, as a matter a fact, I do. Since our introduction, you have been nothing but condescending and rude. Your sexism has been veiled in shallow compliments. These may work on your wife, but we were not raised take such treatment from anyone. It does not matter to us who you think you are or who your family pretends to be. We are a very accomplished group of women, as Severus kindly commented on when we were introduced.”

“Accomplished, are you? And what exactly have you accomplished? Besides somehow talking that crazy old man into hiring you.” Malfoy sneered.

Ariadne’s head went up, her stormy eyes blazing. The muscle in her jaw clenched and her nostrils flared. Magic seemed to wash off her and her two companions in waves.

“You, you, dare ask what we have accomplished? Better you should look to yourself and ask what you have accomplished. You will find nothing, but a binding oath to a barely human creature based on hollow promises. You do not even understand the concept of accomplishment, it has been so long since you have felt it. So I will remind you. I will tell you what we have accomplished, you Death Eater Scum. We are the Summer Coven, the most famous female coven in the entire wizarding world! I am the High Priestess and every single member of my Coven has at least two masteries. We are called in by covens and academies from all over the world for assistance and advice! Each of my sisters has more power in her left foot then you have in your entire body. You are nothing. You have accomplished nothing. You are a piece of death eater filth who grovels at the feet of a Half-blooded monster bent on the destruction of the world. I have the gift of Sight and I have seen what Voldemort wishes to do with our world. You think blood matters? You think money or wealth matters? You are deluded. In this life and in this war, nothing matters but the power held in the pure heart of one young man. Voldemort will fall and you along with him if you continue on the path you have chosen. You condemn not only yourself, but your son Draco and your wife Narcissa as well. There is a cell in Azkaban awaiting you and a Dementor who would love to welcome you home. Do not question me or my sisters again or the next sexist comment that comes out of your mouth will be the last word you ever speak.”

During her speech, Ariadne had risen from her chair and a magic wind had begun to swirl around her, catching at her hair. The wind caught the robes and hair of her two sisters who had risen to join her. At this point, Lucius stood.

“Do not make idle threats, which you will be unable to keep, Little Girl.” He sneered.

Olympia and Aurelia laid a hand on each of Ariadne’s shoulders. The blonde woman raised both hands, palm up. They were both filled with crackling black flame.

“Care to try me?” She snarled.

Malfoy backed from her slowly. He recognized the flames. He had seen the Dark Lord conjure smaller versions many times. She pulled her arms back as if to hurl the fire at him and he fled.

Ariadne and her sisters sat slowly, taking deep calming breaths. Snape stared at them in mild shock, his black eyes wide. He too had recognized the magic.

“H-How did you do that?”

Ariadne smiled sadly. “There is a reason Dumbledore introduced me as a Mistress of the Dark Arts.”

“But…But the D-dark Lord can only conjure small amounts of that flame and he—“

“Is a lying filthy piece of hippogriff dung? Some of the power that fed the spell, however, was lent to me by my sisters. Without their help, I would not have been able to conjure such large amounts of it wandlessly.”

The two stared at one another for a moment longer. Olympia caught Aurelia’s eye and raised an eyebrow. The air between Snape and Ariadne seemed to crackle, until Ariadne dropped her eyes to her plate. Snape did the same and the four returned their attentions to the food before them. The only sound for the remainder of meal was the busy clatter of house elves cleaning and cooking. When the food had been cleared by the over-zealous Dobby and the four had emerged into the hallway, Ariadne turned to Snape and asked him something that had been plaguing her all afternoon.

“Why is it that you greeted us with a pleasant and complimentary comment and yet you are seem just as Slytherin and Aristocratic as Malfoy?”

Snape inclined his head in thanks.

“I was not raised in a pureblood household as Lucius was. I was raised as a member of the muggle aristocracy, so I like to believe I do not have that same sexist and prejudice leanings as the wizarding aristocracy.”

The three smiled at Severus, who seemed genuinely pleased at the observation of his character. After a moment’s thought, Aurelia’s brow furrowed.

“We were told that you were a half-blood and I wouldn’t think that a muggleborn would be placed in Slytherin. So I am confused.”

Snape seemed to blench slightly at the inference.

“Actually, my mother was a pureblood witch. She was very proud of her Slytherin heritage, as am I. She instilled her heritage into at least one of her children.”

The last comment was said more to himself then to his female companions. The girls had to strain their ears to catch it. Ariadne glanced at Olympia and Aurelia. One of…? They let the subject drop for the time being and set off to meet the rest of the faculty…

As the light streaming in the windows got longer, the group headed back to Dumbledore’s office.

I know you can see that button in the corner…I know you are looking at it! Please press it and leave me a message!





Okay, guys. I know people are reading and the lack of reviews is depressing me. FLAME ME IF YOU HAVE TO!!!! But pleeeeaaase review.



[*Another relatively short chapter. I am trying to give some background and some set up for what happens next and it
Sign up to rate and review this story