Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Ease

by alternatepersona27 0 reviews

Just to let you all know: THIS IS A STORY WITH ORIGINAL CHARACTERS!!!!!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Snape - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-06 - Updated: 2009-08-06 - 5210 words

1Exciting
Hey guys, I know there are more of you reading, so please review. Even if you want to flame me, I don’t mind! Thanks so much.



Last Chapter…



Two days went by in this same quietly frenzied fashion. The house elves brought food and regular intervals. The group snatched naps when they could on the hospital beds. Snape however never moved from his statue-like vigil and, while Severus remained awake, so did Ariadne.



On the morning of the third day, however, something Severus stirred from his place. Something had changed. He could feel it.



Chapter 13 – Of Ease



Hot blackness filled Harry Potter’s vision. He knew in the back of his mind that something was very, very wrong. Uncle Vernon must have done something truly horrible to him this time to cause him such pain. He felt as if someone had replaced the marrow in his bones with lava. He burned. The feeling didn’t abate either. It continued for eternity. He felt as if he were drowning in the lava. Nothing, he knew, would stop it. Water was not enough to smother the heat. Ice would melt away to nothing if it came in contact with the fire, certainly. He was just ready to give in and let it consume him, when something colder then ice and more soothing then water broke through the darkness.



He sank into the now velvety night that surrounded him. He slipped away from himself and felt slumber take him for the first time since Vernon’s boot had connected that last time with his back.



Around Harry, a flurry of commotion was disturbing the usually peaceful hospital wing. The reaction to Snape’s exclamation had caused everyone to snap to attention.



“What changed, Severus?” Ariadne managed to ask in spite of the confusion.



Severus cleared his throat, his eyes still trained on Harry’s face. “He…I think he is asleep.”



Ekantika furrowed her brow. “Hasn’t he been asleep for the past three days? Isn’t that the problem?”



“No,” Severus whispered, not really paying attention to what was going on around him. He eyed Harry critically, trying to determine if the boy was stirring. “He has been unconscious for the past 3 days. Now, he is asleep, which means I believe that he is out of danger. He is going to live.”



Hermione sagged against the bed in relief. Dumbledore released a breath. Ariadne felt a tear slip from her eyes. Her relief was so sharp it was painful. She had been standing next to Severus. Now she slipped to the floor beside his chair, resting her forehead against his thigh. Her tears soaked the jeans he was still wearing, but he took no notice. He simply slipped the hand that had been gripping Harry’s into her hair, stroking her scalp absentmindedly. Olympia smiled at Ariadne, glad for her friend’s relief and the relationship she seemed to be forming. The rest of the Coven grinned, pleased.



The burning look in Severus’ eyes intensified. He would have a son. He wanted to weep, like the woman at his side, to show his emotion so easily. His spy training and years of not allowing himself such indulgence prevented it. However, a small, pleased smile touched his lips.



Their attentions were all caught once again by the raven-haired teen, when he emitted a pained groan and shifted. A brilliant pair of emerald eyes opened dazedly and flitted, unseeingly around the room. Hermione stepped up beside the bed, hoping to provide a friendly and familiar face. She placed a hand on Harry’s arm and his eyes settled on her face.



“Her-Hermione? Is that you? What are you doing here?” He seemed groggy. “You can’t be here! Uncle Vernon will kill me!” He was becoming agitated. Severus moved to take his hand again, when he suddenly settled down. “Unless, I am imagining you, again. How odd. I thought I saw you in room with me, before Uncle Vernon’s last kick made me black out, but I guess I have an overactive imagination. Lovely, now I am talking to a mirage.”



Hermione’s giggle bordered on hysterical. “No, Harry! You’re not imagining things. I am here, but not the here you think. You’re in the hospital wing at Hogwarts.”



Harry furrowed his brow in confusion. He looked around the room, realizing that she was right. “Who are all you people? Why am I here? Pr-Professor Snape?!?”



“Indeed, Mr. Potter. I am pleased you are awake and somewhat coherent.” The small smile changed into a small smirk. “You have been exceedingly ill for the past three days. We are all very pleased that you are alive, actually.”



“You are pleased I’m awake? Right…What a bizarre dream this is.”



“Harry, it’s not a dream!” Hermione exclaimed.



Harry raised an eyebrow and looked at Ariadne, who had looked up at the sound of his voice and was now beaming at him. “My imagination is not good enough to invent people, I think.” His eyes narrowed. “Who are you? Why were you crying? Are you alright?”



“I am now. My name is Ariadne. Severus and I retrieved you from Privet Drive and those horrible, disgusting muggles you lived with.” Her stormy eyes sparkled in delight.



“Um. Thank you, but why was I allowed to leave so early?” He looked confused again. He blinked and then spotted Dumbledore. “Headmaster, what about the blood wards?”



Dumbledore, who looked torn between exhaustion and joy, smiled at him. “Harry, there is no way you will have to return to your relatives. I was not aware of the extent of their hatred for everything magical, nor of their treatment of you. You shall remain at the castle until school begins. I am so sorry, dear boy, about what happened to you. I should have known what was going on and prevented it.”



“Professor, nothing that has happened to me is ever been your fault. Uncle Vernon only punished me because I was stealing from the kitchen. It was my fault.”



Hermione gave Severus a pointed looked. The man ground his teeth. Something would have to be done about that.



“However, Harry, you are still to remain here for the duration of the summer. Ms. Granger is welcome to remain also. If she chooses to stay, we can set up a temporary floo for her to visit her parents. You will also be able to travel to both Headquarters and the Weasley family’s home, if they allow it.”



“Wait…Professor Snape, you said ‘exceedingly ill’. What was wrong with me? Besides…”



“Mr. Potter, in the summer following the first year at school, every witch or wizard is supposed to undergo a rite of passage of sorts. They suffer for a short period of time with what is called the Venefici Sopor, or Wizard’s sleep. This illness allows your magic to be fully released for its core and it purifies it for use. Without this rite, it is nearly impossible to perform any high level magic. Anything learned in second year should be impossible to cast and—“



“What does this have to do with what’s wrong with me…sir?” He looked annoyed. Snape was avoiding the question he was sure, but he didn’t understand why.



“Did you ever experience such an illness, Mr. Potter?” Severus raised an eyebrow. Ariadne slipped an arm around his shoulders and he glanced up at her.



“No, sir.”



“That is because your Venefici Sopor was extremely delayed.” Severus inhaled angrily through his nose. Harry flinched at the noise. Hermione squeezed his hand reassuringly. Ariadne squeezed Snape’s shoulder in comfort. She knew there would be pain in his eyes at being the cause of such a reaction. “For the past 67 and 1 half hours, you have been suffering from your Venefici Sopor. You had a very high fever and your aura was very dangerous.”



“The burning…” Harry muttered softly to himself. He returned Hermione’s gesture in an attempt to put her at ease, telling her that he was alright.



“Yes, your fever was dangerously high. We were not sure whether or not you would survive the illness. It was a very real possibility that you would not. Thus we are all pleased to see you awake.” Severus gave Harry a very brief and very small smile.



The raven-haired boy blinked. Snape’s behavior was beginning to unnerve him. He was not only being civil; he was actually being almost kind.



“Harry.” A voice from the back of the little group said quietly.



“Remus?” A tall, brunette moved aside for Harry. He smiled at her gratefully. The werewolf moved forward. “Remus! Are you here to see me almost die as well?” Harry chuckled as everyone winced. “I feel fine.”



As soon as the words were out of his mouth, however, Harry knew it was a lie. He suddenly felt nauseous and his whole body began to ache. He must have looked green because Severus shoved a basin under his chin. He vomited and the ache in his bones doubled, then tripled.



Harry groaned as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hands. He slumped back against the bed.



“Oh yes, Harry. Perfectly fine.” Remus grinned at him. “It’s perfectly normal to be sick and in pain after your Venefici Sopor, especially one that lasted so long.”



“Ugh! Now I know how it feels to be put on the rack.” Snape snorted in amusement and Harry looked at him in surprise.



“That is an apt description, Mr. Potter. You have grown exactly twelve inches during the duration of your illness. I would say that you are now several inches over 6 feet tall. So yes, an apt description indeed.”



Harry gave Severus a lopsided grin, then the shock registered in his eyes and he looked back at Hermione. Ariadne watched this interplay with a smile. Their relationship was improving at a remarkable rate, if the description she had been given was correct. There was hope for Severus, after all.



“Harry, I think you should know that the length of your Venefici Sopor determines how powerful you are. The magic you are able to perform before it is also a deciding factor. Such a delayed Venefici Sopor has only been survived in one known case.” Remus said in a soft voice.



Harry closed his eyes as if preparing for a blow. “Who?”



“Godric Gryffindor”



Harry sighed and wrinkled his nose. “So I am even more of a freak now, huh?”



“NO!” Five voices shouted at once. Ariadne was the only one unembarrassed by the outburst. “No, Harry. You are not a freak. You have never been a freak. You are simply a young wizard, just like everyone else, who has a few more exciting bedtime stories to tell his children one day. Yes, you are more powerful then most people, but someone has to be. Just like someone has to be better are testing or Quidditch or flying or soccer or anything else. People have talents. It is life and we must use what we are given.”



Harry stared into her eyes for several long minutes, unblinking. Ariadne stared back, smiling. Finally he blinked. “Thank you.” He whispered softly.



Hermione grinned broadly. She will be good for him, She thought happily. Just like she is good for Snape. I hope she stays around! I hope she is a good teacher…



“How long is the average Venefici So…um, So—“



“Sopor, Harry.” Hermione said, helpfully.



“Yeah, that. How long are they usually?”



Ariadne answered his question this time. “The average Venefici Sopor is about 3 to 4 hours long.”



“And Mine was…what?”



Severus had a worried look in his eye. “67 and ½ hours.”



“Oh God.” Harry groaned. He let his head fall back against the pillows.



Ariadne was still smiling when she said, “Harry, I said average. That means many people have Venefici Sopors that are longer. My own was much longer then average.”



“Harry, mine was 19 hours.” Hermione smiled kindly at him.



He gave her a weak half smile in return. He then turned his gaze back on Ariadne. “How long was yours?”



“40 hours.”



Severus looked sharply up at her. His had only been twenty-six hours long. It was no wonder she was the High Priestess of the Summer Coven. He wondered briefly how much longer Dumbledore’s had been then Ariadne’s. It couldn’t have been much longer!



“Professor Dumbledore?” Harry turned to the headmaster.



“My Venefici Sopor lasted 39 hours, Harry. However, Gryffindor’s Venefici Sopor lasted 68 hours, as far as anyone can tell.”



Harry sighed with relief; at least his wasn’t the longest in history. Pain flared in his back and he must have had a visible reaction to it because Dumbledore called for Madam Pomfrey to get him a pain potion.



“Harry, I think you should stand up. Take stock of yourself and see how much you have changed, physically. We will reevaluate your magic at a later time.”



Harry nodded and sat up slowly. He breathing became labored as he worked through the pain. A bottle materialized in front of him and he drank it down. Respite from the pain coursed through his system and he sighed again. He swung his legs over the side of the bed. They hit the floor much sooner then he thought they would. Feeling ill-at-ease in his own body, he stood shakily. Severus stepped forward and took his arm, steadying him. Intending to shoot the tall man a surprised look, Harry was more then a little shocked and disoriented when he realized that he was taller then his teacher.



“Oh.” He muttered looking somewhere over Snape’s head. His glance dropped and he met amused black eyes. He had never seen Snape so…willing to display emotions. Emotions other then anger, hate, and disdain. “Thanks, Professor. This feels so odd.”



“Yes.” Muttered Severus. The boy was now a good inch or two taller then himself. It felt very odd indeed. “It appears I will no longer be able to loom over you like a great big bat.”



Everyone in the room froze and stared at Snape, whose face was completely blank. Ariadne starting laughing, clutching at her sides. The rest soon joined in. Severus merely stood with pursed lips and amusement in his eyes again.



Hermione muttered a quick spell and gasped softly. “Harry! 6’4 now!”



“What??” Harry looked stunned. “When I last measured myself at the Dursleys, I was 5’4! How did I grow a foot in 3 days???”



Ariadne shot Harry a worried look. He was looking overwhelmed and possibly a little light-headed. Pushing him back into bed, Ariadne took charge of the situation. “Why don’t we let Harry sleep for a bit, since he hasn’t slept, truly, in the past four or five days? I will have Dobby send up some soup for you before you go to bed, Harry.” She turned and made a quick hand gesture to the other members of the Coven, the ones Harry didn’t recognize. They left immediately. She then shooed Dumbledore out, who surprisingly also followed her orders, and Remus went with him after waving to Harry. When Hermione remained by his side, the blonde woman overlooked it. She spoke softly to Madam Pomfrey for a moment. Then, taking Snape by the arm, she pulled him from the infirmary as well. Harry stared after her open-mouthed. Hermione chuckled and reached over to shut it for him.



Grinning sheepishly at her, he slid further into bed and waited for his first real meal in two months.



Thanks for reading!




[*Hey guys, I know there are more of you reading, so please review. Even if you want to flame me, I don
Sign up to rate and review this story