Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Extraction

by alternatepersona27 0 reviews

yo-yo bouncing merrily in hand...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Snape - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-06 - Updated: 2009-08-06 - 6313 words

1Exciting
I have gotten a couple of reviews that question my making Harry Snape’s son. I would like to mention that I am usually opposed to this plotline, but I am using it as a writing exercise of sorts, to see if I can make it work plausibly. I am sorry if you don’t like that aspect of the story. Normally I would agree with you.



Last Chapter…



Gazing into the fire, she became lost in her own thoughts, her worries about what the effect of the curse would be and how they would affect her. She wondered at the feeling she was developing for the man at her side and the boy who slept in the infirmary, contemplating their connection. She was still unsure if the decision to come to Hogwarts had been the best for the Coven, even if she was sure that their presence was the only thing that had saved Harry Potter’s life. Time would show her the truth of her ponderings.



Chapter 15 – Of Extraction



The following day dawned too brightly and much too early for most of the inhabitants of Hogwarts castle. In the dungeons, the early morning sun blazed through the enchanted window in Snape’s living room, bathing both he and Ariadne in its light. Ariadne groaned softly at being awoken. She was once again lying against Severus’ chest. Her feet had ended up on the couch and she lay against Snape, her arms snaking around his waist. He still had one arm around her shoulder; his other hand was tangled in her hair. Waking quicker then she, Severus quickly extricated himself from the situation and stood. Glancing down at himself, he noticed that he had never changed from the rescue attire that Ariadne had put him in. He cringed. Four days spent in the same clothing. He was in desperate need of a shower. Leaving Ariadne semi-asleep on the couch, he exited the room in search of clean clothes and a hot shower.



When the bathroom door clicked shut, Ariadne finally opened her eyes. Sitting up, she stretched and yawned. She wrinkled her nose at the stiffness in her limbs and of her clothes. Taking stock of her appearance, she was appalled. She had remained in blood-caked clothes for four days. With very good reason, she reminded herself. Still, she needed to change. Willing to brave the castle labyrinth, she exited Severus’ rooms, after leaving him a quick note. Twenty minutes later she finally found The Coven’s tower. She sighed in relief. Once she reached her room, she took a few minutes to admire the view from her wall of windows. With a sigh, she vanished into the bathroom.



As soon as she had exited the room, Olympia stepped from her shadowed corner. She was grinning. Ariadne would have some questions to answer when she exited that bathroom. Olympia went to sit on one of the armchairs and trained her gaze on the grounds, prepared to wait.



###############



The sun was also shining much too brightly in the windows of the infirmary. It woke Harry, who blinked into the light and closed his eyes. For the first morning all summer, he felt warm and safe. He wished fervently to fall back to sleep, if only for a little while, but the sun would not allow it. He opened his eyes once again. This time he noticed the headmaster, standing near the doorway and watching his two students quietly. Harry glanced down at Hermione, who was now sleeping in his arms. He shook her gently. She opened dazed chocolate eyes. “Harry?” She murmured drowsily.



“Hi, Hermione.” She sat up slowly and looked around. Her bushy hair was mussed with sleep. Harry thought she looked adorable. He blushed slightly at having such thoughts about his best friend. Harry’s eyes flittered back to the old man. Hermione followed his gaze and gasped softly. She blushed furiously and hid her face in her hands.



Now Dumbledore smiled. “Good morning, Hermione, Harry. How are you feeling this morning?”



Harry stared at the headmaster, curiously, without answering. He had finally realized that something was not right. His brow furrowed and Dumbledore looked on, worriedly. He moved into the room and closer to the bed. Hermione raised her head at Harry’s silence and stared at him. He reached up a hand to his face. “Headmaster, I can see.”



Dumbledore didn’t seem to understand for a moment. Realization dawned in his eyes, which grew wide. “Oh my. This is an interesting effect of the Venefici Sopor.”



Hermione stared up at Harry. His emerald eyes sparkled as he felt his face. His attention was still trained on the professor. “Does this mean I no longer need to wear glasses, Professor?”



“I suppose not, Harry. But I think that it would be best if you wore your glasses again when school begins. I shall obtain pair with blank lens for you.”



Harry thought for a second and grinned. “Imagine old Voldie’s reaction when something breaks my glasses and I can still see!”



Both Dumbledore and Hermione chuckled. The old man then eyed the two. “You both should get dressed and then come straight to my office.”



“But, Professor, we—“ Harry interrupted.



“No, Harry. Neither of you are in trouble. I understand that Hermione’s presence keeps the nightmares at bay. I am not angry that the two of you spent the night in the same bed. I know nothing untoward happened. I trust you both. However, there is a topic that we need to discuss or rather, several. While you two dress, I am going to retrieve The Summer Coven and Professor Snape.”



“Thank you, Professor Dumbledore.” The old man’s eyes twinkled as he turned and left.



For several more minutes, Harry simply sat with his hands on the side of his face where his glasses should have been. He looked around the room. His eye landed, finally, on Hermione’s still form on the bed next to him. She watched him quietly, a small smiled on her face. He gave her a lopsided grin and said, “We should probably get dressed. Dobby?”



When the little elf appeared, Harry asked him to get them some clothes for the day. Ten minutes later, both Harry and Hermione exited the infirmary, dressed in their school robes and headed for the headmaster’s office.



###############



At the top of Coven Tower, Ariadne smiled as she stepped from the shower stall and wrapped herself in a large towel. She ran a comb quickly through her long honey hair. Leaving the bathroom filled with steam, she went into her bedroom to get dressed. The rug felt soft under her bare feet. The sun warmed her chilled skin as it streamed in through the window.



“Finally! You take the longest showers!” Olympia stood from her seat at the windows. Ariadne gave a shriek of surprise, which sounded remarkably like the word ‘Fuck’. She reflexively sent a pulse of power at Olympia, who caught it. She laughed. “You really have some quick reflexes. I am sure Severus appreciated those…and other things.” She smirked, glancing pointedly at Ariadne’s towel wrapped form.



“Oh shut up! Nothing happened last night!” She went to her wardrobe and looked for something to wear. Pulling out a black sleeveless mini-dress, she threw it across the bed.



“You expect me to believe that?” Olympia went to stand next the wardrobe door. Ariadne disappeared behind it for a moment.



When she emerged, she was wearing a bra, panties, and an annoyed expression. She glared at Olympia. “Yes, I expect you to believe that! I did not seduce him! Olympia you really need to get your mind out of the gutter! The man is in pain! He is terrified that his son is going to hate him and he is horribly guilty. I am not that sex-crazed to take advantage of him like that. Jesus, Olymp!” She rolled her eyes as she went to the bed and shimmied into her dress.



Olympia gave her a look of dry indignation. “So say she as she shimmies into a skintight mini-dress. Give it a rest, Ari. I know you have a thing for him.”



Ariadne went to the wardrobe again, this time emerging with her black Coven robes on. “I won’t deny I like him. I respect him. He is a brilliant man and an intense person. He fascinates me. I will not, however, take advantage of him. I respect him too much.”



Olympia’s brow furrowed. “Really? Nothing happened? Well that’s not good.”



“Oh shut up! Come on. I’m sure Dumbledore wants to meet with us about the curse and all the rest of the shit that’s been happening. I knew it would not be easy, taking this job!”



Olympia chuckled as they left the room to go gather the rest of the Coven.



Twenty minutes later found them all gathered in the headmaster’s office. Dobby had brought them all a breakfast of muffins with butter and marmalade. Severus took his refreshment, standing near the same window as before, gazing at the grounds. Tea was passed around to the British members of the group, but Dobby the wonderful, as Ariadne called him, brought Starbucks Lattes for the Coven. Dumbledore laughed softly at their choice of beverage, while Snape wrinkled his noise.



“Now, before we start, I would like to formally introduce you ladies to Harry here. Harry, I would like you to meet the members of the Summer Coven.” Dumbledore went through, introducing each member to Harry and explaining what she would be teaching. Hermione’s eyes were wide, having not known herself exactly why they were all here. She had known that Ariadne would be teaching, but all of them?



“It’s nice to meet you all. I hope you all enjoy teaching here.” Harry smiled at them, feeling a little lost as to what to say.



Aurelia smiled back and Ekantika grinned. “I hope we enjoy working here too. If we don’t, Dumbledore is going to have several annoyed witches on his hands, as he promised we would.”



Everyone laughed at the chagrin on Dumbledore’s face; Snape’s laughed was more of a very quiet chuckle.



“Now, with introductions out of the way, we can get right to the reason you are all here. We have several things to discuss. Firstly, Ms. Granger, will you be remaining for the completion of the summer? Before you agree, I feel I must tell you that you must fulfill one condition if you choose to stay.” He eyed Hermione over the top of his half-moon glasses.



She frowned. “What condition, sir?”



“You would be required to undergo a medical and magical examination to discover the extent of your prophetic gift.”



She sighed and glanced at Harry, whose eyebrow was raised. Looking back to the headmaster, she replied. “Of course, headmaster. It makes complete sense that you would want me to understand the extent of my…gift. I will stay here for the summer. Harry shouldn’t be alone here.”



“He will not be alone, Miss Granger. He will, in all likelihood be extremely busy for the remainder of the summer.” Snape gave her a displeased look from the corner of his eyes, his face still turned to the window.



“Good. I am glad that is settled. Before I continue on to our next topic of discussion, I believe that Harry, you should know that the blood Wards on Privet Drive have fallen. You did not remain there for a sufficient time this year to renew them. You will no longer have to return there, ever, if that is what you choose.”



Snape’s scowl at the implication of this statement was black. How dare Dumbledore imply that Harry’s injuries were somehow his fault? That his departure from that hellhole was his fault? Snape sighed very softly. The old man was more oblivious then anyone knew or would believe.



Harry grinned broadly. “Thank you, Headmaster!”



“Now to our second order of business: the curse that Ariadne used to save Harry’s life and the consequences of its use. No one is going to blame you for using that curse, Ariadne. However, it will affect your life as well as the lives of Severus and Harry.”



Harry frowned. “Why would it affect Professor Snape?”



Ariadne spoke up in answer to the question. “I connected Severus to the curse when he agreed to take some of the internal damage. There was too much for me to take on myself.”



Harry stared at Snape, slightly stunned and wondering why his professor would do something so selfless.



“Yes, that agreement, that act, has had a definite impact on the way the three of you act already and will continue to change you. You are all connected by magical bonds that can be broken only by death. You will stop changing once you form the proper configuration that the curse requires.”



Harry was frowning again. He seemed to be doing that frequently. “What do you mean ‘changed us already’? I feel no different. Other then achy from growing so much…”



Dumbledore smiled kindly, if a bit condescendingly. “Harry, you have become much more accepting of Professor Snape then you usually are. Professor Snape has been worried sick over your state as has Ariadne.”



“But that’s only because he is being civil to me! I only get angry with him when he goads me! I am not James, but he hates me like I am. It’s not my fault!” Harry grew agitated. Hermione leaned over to him and placed a hand on his arm.



Severus cut off whatever response the headmaster was going to give. “I do not hate you, Mr. Potter. I have never actually hated you. I was merely annoyed by your presence. However, I am no longer. I…I may have treated you a little more harshly than you deserved, but I remain the only faculty member on this staff, who is unimpressed by your celebrity status and thus treated you according, in my opinion.”



Harry narrowed his eyes. He thought he had detected a sort-of-kind-of almost apology, stuck in with all the insulting crap. He did have to admit, as insults go, Snape’s tone and words were definitely lacking. He glanced sideways at Hermione and she had a funny look on her face. Harry couldn’t quite decipher it.



“Er…thanks? I don’t hate you either. I never did.”



At Harry’s softly spoken words, Snape shot a sharp look over his shoulder. His black eyes met Harry’s emerald ones for the briefest moment. His eyes then slid to Ariadne’s. There was a small flicker of hope in their obsidian depths.



Ekantika broke the silence. “Well, now that we’ve established that no one hates anyone…”



Aurelia, with a raised eyebrow, continued. “Could you please explain to us, Headmaster, what kind of bonds they are, exactly?”



The old man settled back into his chair, his fingers steepled lightly in front of him. “The magical bonds that the Curse calls for are very similar, if not identical to familial bonds. In effect, Harry, Severus, and Ariadne now form a family unit. This explains Ariadne’s deep need for Harry to be safe and her worry for him. It also explains the affection she seems to hold for him.” Dumbledore sat up slowly as he spoke. He pulled out his wand and muttered something under his breath. His eyes began to twinkle annoyingly at something only he could see. “The connection between Ariadne and Severus is almost unaffected by the Curse. By the look of it, the only effect so far has been increased trust in one another. The relationship between Harry and Severus seems to only have had small effects, as well. It seems to have boosted your acceptance of one another and care for each other’s well-being, but nothing much more than that.” He leaned back again, the wand disappearing into his robes. “However, over time, I believe that the three of you will settle into something of a family unit…of sorts.”



Severus seemed to curl in on himself slightly. “Are you saying, headmaster, that the Curse will produce feelings of great…affection in each of us for the other two? Without it being real? It will force us to become a…family?” The final word was sneered with disgust. Scorn and disdain was clearly written over Snape’s face.



“No, my boy. That is not what I am saying at all. I merely stated that you would settle into a family unit. The Curse is simply takes relationships that were present or are very likely to develop and enhances them. It will not create a connection that never existed. It does not force love or affection. If anyone of you three had absolutely no affection or could never have affection for another one, then that connection will not form. For example, Harry never truly hated Severus. The Curse saw this and smoothed their connection to allow them to understand one another. It will help them get past old grudges, but does not create affection.”



Harry was beginning to get a headache. He was definitely going to need to talk to Hermione later. He still felt achy and sore all over and the longer the meeting continued, the worse the pain became. Snape must have seen his discomfort because he soon produced a pain potion. Harry smiled gratefully at him as he took the potion and downed it in one gulp. Cooling relief spread through his body immediately. He sighed. “Thanks.”



For several minutes, the small group contemplated the information that Dumbledore had relayed to them. Finally, Isoko furrowed her brow in thought. “Headmaster, does the Curse have any other effect then the connection fulfillment? Can the fulfillment go unsatisfied if two parties actually have a dislike for one another?”



Dumbledore looked thoughtful for a moment. “As far as I am aware, Isoko, yes. The Curse can go unfulfilled for the remainder of the involved parties’ lives. However, they will be unable to perform that Curse or any like it without severe consequences while it remains active. Also, I am unaware of any other affects that this Curse has.”



“Does anyone else have any questions?”



The groups glanced at one another. Most of the members of the Coven looked anxious or worried. Ariadne simply continued to smile at Harry, in an attempt to reassure him. Harry, himself, kept shooting mildly confused glances at Hermione. Severus’ gaze remained trained on the lake. No one spoke.



“Good. We have one more item of business, I think, before you all depart.” Dumbledore smiled around at them all in a grandfatherly manner. Harry narrowed his eyes at the old man. That look was never a good sign, especially for Harry.



Please Review!!! Thanks bunches!




[*I have gotten a couple of reviews that question my making Harry Snape
Sign up to rate and review this story