Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Seasons with Orpheus

Chapter 1

by rhughes 0 reviews

[AU HughesxRoy] After losing his wife to a series of murders, Hughes encounters a man who makes him feel strange feelings of déjà vu. While trying to solve the mystery of his wife’s death, Hugh...

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Maes Hughes,Roy Mustang - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-06 - Updated: 2009-08-06 - 1838 words

0Unrated
Seasons with Orpheus

By: gianduja

Disclaimer: Obviously the characters are not mine. Credit to Hiromu Arakawa and fma.

Summary: After losing his wife to a series of kidnappings and murders, Hughes dedicated his love and time to his young daughter. However once his daughter finds a stranger she dubs as a ‘kitten’ for their family to adopt, Hughes finds himself feeling odd and unexpected feelings of déjà vu. While trying to solve the mystery of his wife’s death, Hughes must figure out when and where he once knew this other man.

Notes: I’m afraid that Hughes and Roy, and quite possibly everyone else I’ll be writing in later, are out of character. Then again, this is an AU story that isn’t anywhere near the fma Amestris or WWI universe. I tried to incorporate elements though, but I think I failed. Haha. Meanwhile, I’d love to know what you think of it! I honestly believe that there are an incredible amount of brilliant hughes/roy themed stories featured in the h/r jolly good ship. Many have made me a very happy fan, reading and reading, rather than writing. And now here I am with this shiny and incredibly corny turd. Hurray!

Cheers.

- - -

"Eeeeelysiaaaaaaa!! Where are you?!"

A worried father ran around with quite a harried look on his face. His daughter must have seen her favorite stray kitten wandering around and decided to follow after. Within minutes of being unable to find Elysia, Hughes was growing desperate.

However, before he could run over to the nearest police station and gather an entire precinct full of reinforcements to search with him, Hughes felt a small body latch onto his knees with a tight embrace. Relief instantly washed over him as he looked down to see a familiar face. Just as he was about to gently admonish his precocious child, she spoke up.

"Papa papa! Come with me!" a cute and beamingly happy Elysia giggled and stood at beside her almost heartbroken father. She tugged on his jacket, insisting he tag alongside her towards her discovery.

He picked her up and held her close to him, squeaking that she shouldn't leave him.

”I found a kitten, papa! He reminds me of Roy at home. He has soft black hair and sleepy eyes. Can we keep him and name him Roy too? Please papa? Pleaaaase?"

"How would Roy feel if you brought home another kitten to replace him? I think he'd be quite sad." Hughes spoke, trying to deter his darling girl from adopting another stray. However, once those words left his mouth she began to pout and tears formed in her crinkling blue eyes. It proved difficult to refuse her when such she made such a face.

"Pleaaaase papa! Our Roy kitty at home has us, but this new Roy kitty needs company! He needs all the love we can give." Elysia continued to pout and plead as her small hands cupped Hughes' chin, making his stubble tingle.

"Oh really? Fine fine. alright! You win, my love. Another kitten named roy shall be added to our family," he sighed and nuzzled her hair. Defeated he nodded and agreed to go towards the latest kitten she found.

It pleased him to see how happy Elysia appeared to be, despite losing his wife and her mother a few months earlier. While Elysia was in high spirits, he began to let his thoughts wander. He alone carried the burden and knowledge that Gracia had died. At first Gracia was pronounced missing by the authorities searching for her in his precinct.

The chief had been hesitant to let Hughes cover the case and assigned it to someone else. It was far too personal and he still had to cover series of murders regarding an arsonist that began previous to her disappearance.

Throughout the search for his wife both father and daughter believed Gracia would come home soon, smiling and warm as always. This hope remained until the day Hughes was told by fellow officers that Gracia was found dead. It broke his heart knowing that Elysia did not know the truth. Following such knowledge, Hughes closed his heart off and devoted every waking moment to his daughter.

A gentle tug on his collar tore Hughes from his brooding. Elysia stared expectantly at her father whom stopped walking the moment he retreated into his thoughts about Gracia. The little girl noticed her father had a habit of staring off into the space and stopping whatever he was doing.

Ever the thoughtful daughter, she often waited for him to return from wherever he disappeared off to mentally. Meanwhile, to pass the time she toyed with his shirt collar and then circled with her tiny fingers the outline of the small white buttons sewn on.

"Hehe!" he laughed sheepishly and scratched his head. then he leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Sorry about that my love! I was just wondering what to cook for dinner… but then I remembered how I much of a mess I made in the kitchen last night and felt really awful!! Well, let's go find that kitten! Where did you say he was?"

"Yay! Papa, he’s resting in the alley way. I think he's really tired and didn't eat dinner last night. We can share our dinner tonight with him, right?"

"Yes, of course! Providing I don't burn tonight's dinner either!" Hughes smiled, feeling quite proud at how generous his daughter was. Holding her close to him, Hughes followed her instructions and flailing hands that led him over a bridge and past the park, towards a dark alley way, filled with overturned trash cans. Elysia began to lecture her father, looking a bit stern for her young age and sweet demeanor.

"Papa, I want you to be nice to mister kitten. he's hungry and smelly but has been very nice to me. When I was lost, papa, he founded me and helped me find you."

They entered the alley and Hughes noticed a shifting body under a pile of newspapers. The obscured lump was larger than a kitten. Not wishing to take any chances of harm towards his daughter, Hughes was posed to run. He was stopped by Elysia, insisting the kitten was hidden under the crumbled bits of paper and trash. Dark hair peeked out from the grey papers.

'Where is this darned kitten?' Hughes thought darkly. 'All i see is a homeless man sleeping under yesterday's newspapers and--'

His train of thought was quickly derailed as Elysia gleefully tried to escape the protective confines of her father's arms to greet said "homeless man".

"E-elysia!! What are you doing?! I don't see this kitten. Let's go home. We'll come back tomorrow to find him!" he gripped her closer to him, trying to stop the squirming.

"Papa! That’s the kitten, sleeping with the paper blankets. That's Roy!"

The noise and commotion coming from the father and daughter woke up the sleeping "kitten" dubbed Roy. He looked up sleepily at the pair. Yawning quite loudly, "Roy" sat up and revealed that he wore very little aside from torn breeches, a threadbare shirt with missing buttons and thick, white bandages wrapped around both of his hands. Seeing Elysia again made him grin widely. She waved in response, giggling shyly.

The little girl had wandered into his makeshift home, following one of the cats he liked to share his meager meals with. She cried and cried and cried, asking for the whereabouts of her papa. Even before the first tear was shed, Roy was drawn to her and wanted to help Elysia find her way back home.

"Hello again. I see you've reunited safely with your father." the man spoke with a kind and refined tone, one that felt out of place with the run-down surroundings. He spoke as if he were welcoming the family into his office or parlor, rather than a dirty and neglected street.

"He's nice, papa. he really is. He told me where to go back to you when i was losted! best of all i like how warm he feels!"

Everything up until that last line seemed innocent and somewhat charming. After hearing her compare the two, the usually happy-go-lucky father instantly turned into a collected and calculating police officer once seeing who his daughter had befriended. He regarded the man with a cool stare. The culprit was certainly a stray in need of food and shelter, however the friend was not the “missing” mother or cuddly kitten she described him as. His daughter truly had a vivid imagination.

"What do you mean warm?" his voice was laced with venom as he glared at the offender. Roy looked bored and was grooming his bedhead hair with his hands. Elysia rested her head upon her father's shoulders and sighed wistfully.

"Warm like mama. he glows like mama's cooking and mama's pies and mama's hands. He glows like fire. Just like mama!" she explained.

'What does she mean warm like Gracia? i see nothing here in this man that resembles my dearly departed wife.' Hughes gazed perplexedly at her. He then noticed from the corner of his eye that the man was staring at him with a thoughtful and serene gaze.

”I believe Elysia has had enough adventure for today." Roy stood up and stretched languidly. He winked at hughes before adding, “I am sure you agree with me."

"Papa! Our kitty roy at home stretches like him too! I'm sure they will be great friends!" she chirped as her father blanched both at the flirtatious look in the vagabond's eye and at Elysia's commentary. “Let’s take him home today!”

"I would love to visit, however--" Roy barely finished his sentence before a loud voice interrupted him. It sounded as though it came from an open window of a neighboring building.

"MUSTANG! TIME FOR WORK!"

"However, it is time for me to meet my employer. If you will excuse me, I hope to see you two again." He continued. "It was nice meeting you father of elysia. You stay safe and out of trouble, Elysia, try not to give your father a heart attack.”

"C’mon, let’s go home and have dinner with the real Roy." Hughes ignored Roy and gave his daughter a stern look to prevent any further pouting or pleading before carrying her away from the man now known as 'Mustang’ to him,' rather than ‘Roy.’

Roy watched with sad eyes and a wistful smile as the father and daughter left. He felt a little strange for missing two people he hardly knew.

“This is payment for last night.” the man who called him 'Mustang' spoke and looked reluctant before handing him an envelope. “Are you ready for another client tonight? I have a few assignments for you.”

Roy looked annoyed at having more work to do, but shrugged and accepted the money and the job.

To be continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story