Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Magma

Volcano IV

by Mikari 0 reviews

Magma: Volcano IV

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Aang,Katara,Sokka,Zuko - Published: 2009-08-08 - Updated: 2009-08-09 - 8674 words - Complete

1Original
Magma: Volcano IV

Eruption 28: Plans for the Future

An uncomfortable silence settled into the tea room, as a maid entered with small cart with snacks and dishes. Her dark red hair was pulled into a bun, and her blue-green eyes showed that she was alert and wide wake, unlike someone who supposedly just rolled out of bed the serve an unexpected midnight snack. She must have been quite fast to change into her uniform and fix her hair on such short notice, or she could have been awake all along.

"Terra, please bring a bag of gold," Mr. Bei Fong requested.

"Yes, sir." Terra bowed politely and swiftly brought the bag of gold. She stood beside Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong holding it.

"This is an incentive," Mr. Bei Fong addressed the guard seriously, "for your absolute silence. You are not to speak to anyone about what you saw or about this young man's identity. Do we have an agreement?"

Terra stepped forward and gave the guard the bag of gold, which he graciously accepted, bowing deeply. "Of course! I thank you for your kindness."

"Very well," Mr. Bei Fong continued, "you may return to your post now. Inform us right away if anything suspicious is seen."

"Yes, sir!" The guard left the room and both Toph and Zuko became more confused with each passing minute.

After the guard left, the maid, Terra, casually moved the cups to the table, placing one in front of each guest. Taking her time, she picked up the tea pot and started serving tea.

"What's going on?" Toph asked, unable to wait any longer. Zuko kept quiet, certain that anything he said would surely make things worse.

"Do you honestly believe we would not recognize the prince of the Fire Nation?" Mrs. Being Fong asked.

"I thought you were up to something," Toph stated, while Zuko simply stared at them.

Terra finished serving the tea and lifted the glass lid off a cake dish. She ten picked up a silver knife and began to cut the chocolate cake in equal pieces, serving a generous portion to each guest.

"We were pushing him towards revealing his identity during the tour," Mrs. Bei Fong admitted.

"I noticed," Toph revealed, "so did you, right, Dancing Dragon?"

Zuko nodded even though he wasn't as suspicious back then as he should have been, "I thought there were a lot of questions. But I assure you I have no bad intentions. I'm traveling with the Avatar to teach him fire bending. I want the world to be back in balance and in peace."

"Even if that means going against your own father?" Mr. Bei Fong spoke harshly.

"Yes," Zuko was firm in his decision. "But to be honest, Fire Lord Ozai was never truly a father to me. It was my uncle Iroh who acted towards me like a father should."

"Has it been decided what will happen to the Fire Nation throne after the avatar's duty is completed?" Mrs. Bei Fong inquired in a delicately neutral tone.

Terra finished the task of serving the cake and quietly left the room, taking the cart she used to help carry everything. She paused at the double doors, and closed them silently. The Bei Fongs were not bothered by the maid's presence at all, which indicated that she must have already been informed of the situation, and thus she would not hear anything she did not already know.

"No, I haven't been thinking about that. I suppose I should discuss it with Aang," Zuko answered honestly. He had been thinking about the immediate future, but not the far future.

"We asked him about it," Mr. Bei Fong revealed. "The avatar does not know that we recognized you, but he answered, honestly and simply, 'the prince will be the next fire lord, unless he gets his uncle to be fire lord for a while, and decides to take the throne later,' he spoke as if it were common knowledge."

"I suppose that could work," Zuko wasn't sure what would happen to the throne of the Fire Nation, but he was focused on ending the war first. If the avatar supported him, then maybe Zuko could be fire lord, it was his birth right, but Ozai never made him feel as if it was. The plan about having his uncle take the position sounded very good to Zuko, he should have been Fire Lord in the first place; and then things would have been very different.

"A prince should be more determined than that!" Toph's father caught Zuko by surprise.

The Fire Nation prince found himself sitting straight and looking wide awake at the couple sitting across from him, instead of staring at his tea with sleepy eyes.

"When that happens, I do hope you consider Toph as a diplomatic medium for negotiations between the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation," Toph's mother picked up her silver fork and gently brought a small piece of cake to her mouth.

"What?" Zuko and Toph yelled out at the same time.

Mrs. Bei Fong touched her lips with a napkin; then continued speaking. "Why not?"

"You have no objections from me if Toph is okay with that," Zuko managed to say.

"I... Well alright, I'll do it," Toph agreed. "I'm just caught by surprise, and I'm hardly ever caught by surprise. What are you up to?"

Toph's father finished savoring a bite of cake before speaking. "Let us be honest, if you take a diplomatic position you will be safer than if you were to take a military rank."

"Yes, that's true," Toph realized where it was all going. Once again they were trying to protect her, but at least this time they were asking for her agreement instead of overprotecting her. "I still agree. In the military I would have to go where I'm told. As a diplomat I would have more free time and I can visit my friends."

A wave of relief washed over the room. "Good, then Prince Zuko do we have your word that you will support this choice when the time is right?"

Zuko worded his reply so that there would be no confusion, "I promise to support Toph in anything she wishes to do; her future career included," and if she chose to be the Fire Lady instead of a diplomat, he would gladly support that choice.

Eruption 29: Slowly but Surely

After the initial tension and worry washed away, giving room for an odd feeling of relief and comfort to settle in; Toph paid the needed attention to her cake, eating with her hands much to her parents' disapproval.

Zuko had decided that the chocolate was too good not to try it; Toph certainly looked as if she liked it. But unlike Toph, Zuko ate with a fork.

"Toph, dear, please use your eating utensils," her mother reminded her.

Toph shrugged. "Why? We're all in good trust here, aren't we?"

"Yes sweet heart, but that doesn't mean you should let go of your manners," her father tried to sound as understanding as possible, despite the lack of manners from his daughter being one of his greatest annoyances, other than having her run away and fight.

"Prince Zuko is eating properly and so are we," Toph's mother hoped that using one of Toph's friends as the example would help convince her.

"That's because Zuko is suffering from meet the parents anxiety. Let me help you with that Dancing Dragon," Toph took a handful of cake and shoved it into Zuko's mouth messily.

The chocolate frosting was all over his face, Zuko was caught by surprise, but he thought he shouldn't have been. At least Toph lightened the mood enough to rid him of his 'meet the parents' anxiety as she called it. Zuko laughed and considered throwing some cake at Toph's face in return, but he felt the disapproving gazed of her parents, and limited himself to cleaning his face with a napkin.

"Toph! You should apologize for that!" Her father scolded sternly.

But before Toph could even roll her eyes, Zuko assured them no apologies were needed. "It's alright, I did need to relax."

Mr. Bei Fong shook his head, and Mrs. Bei Fong gave an exasperated sigh. They decided they had seen enough and returned to their rooms.

The guard was doubled and Terra, who was actually a powerful earth bender under the deceiving disguise of a maid, was assigned as Toph's bodyguard during her stay at the Bei Fong mansion. Toph didn't feel like arguing with her parents, and decided to pretend to accept the arrangement and reason with Terra after they left.

The earth bender maid entered after Toph's parents had left. She began to clear the plates, though her parents hardly had any cake. "Eat it or leave it here but don't throw it away," Toph knew there were large portions of cake left in those plates, the scarce sound of silver against glass, the scent of chocolate, and the vibrations of her earth bending abilities told her so.

"I ate all the cookies that were left from an earlier snack. To be honest I don't throw away left over unless they are actually leftovers, but your parents don't want to put anything 'back in the box' if it is taken out, it is consumed or thrown away. Although I am quite full so I will leave this cake here for the two of you," Terra stood aside, as if waiting for Toph and Zuko to finish.

"You can go rest, I'm a skilled earth bender, and I can sense vibrations. I'll know if someone is coming before they even get close." Toph attempted to convince Terra that she did not need a bodyguard.

"I know, but your parents have ordered me to stay with you and your guest until you are done. Then I must clear the table and stand guard at your door. Of course, there is no reason for me to intrude in your room unless you call me." Toph immediately caught Terra's hint.

So the maid did understand, Toph grinned. "Well I guess I'll just take this cake and go to my room. Zuko will go back to the guest room, right Dancing Dragon?" Toph hoped that Zuko would catch the hint; she added a wink.

"Right!" Zuko knew it was an obvious invitation so they could discuss the latest happenings in private. They each retreated to their respective rooms, Toph taking the remaining cake with her.

xoxox xox xoxox

A few minutes later, Zuko snuck out the window, ignoring the fact that his bed still had a large pointy piece of stone in it. He snuck past the guards with the skill of a ninja. It reminded him of when he was the Blue Spirit.

He considered calling Toph, but no doubt that would get the guards' attention. Instead he took a small pebble and threw it into her room through the open window, expecting Toph to sense the earth and take it as a signal. Actually she should already know he was there, she was probably watching with her earth bending, waiting to see what he would do to climb to her room.

The same pebble was returned to him flying a circle around him before dropping to the ground. Zuko looked up at the balcony where Toph was, now all cleaned up, waiting for him.

Toph created stairs of earth for Zuko to easily climb to her balcony, then made the evidence sink back into the ground from where it came, just as the guards passed by. They didn't find anything suspicious so they continued their rounds. The guards were mostly concentrating in the gates, and outer areas, assuming that no one would get past them and close to the mansion, which only had a few guards patrolling it up close.

Zuko and Toph talked about several things, including their plans for the future, which they had mutually decided not to worry about for the moment being. It looked as if things would work out well enough anyway.

"My parents must have assumed that Beatable Muscle was trying to kill you because of your identity. Since they expect you to push me up in ranks later, then they'll probably cover for you." Toph modified the earth bending fighter's name into something she deemed more appropriate and closer to the truth.

"At least we can be together that way. It will all work out. I don't know about Unbeatable, I mean Beatable, Muscle, but I have a feeling there's more this than just prejudice against a fire bender. I don't think he knew who I am, he was surprised when I used fire bending" Zuko expressed his concern about the mystery.

"I agree, my parents might have concluded that the attack was because of your identity, but if that was true, Beatable Muscle shouldn't have been surprised by your fire bending. It makes sense to tell a hired fighter what he's up against. I have a feeling that he wasn't acting on his own, and who ever sent him, didn't know you're a fire bender," Toph expressed.

Eruption 30: Good Morning!

"Speaking of your parents," Zuko spoke with a hint of relief yet also an almost impossible to perceive inexplicable disappointment, "I don't think they caught your 'meet the parents' hint."

"I guess not, I didn't think about it too much when I said it. It's okay, maybe it's even better like this. I'll tell them eventually, but there's no need to cause additional drama." In the end, Toph was glad they didn't quite catch the hint. "Want some more cake?"

Zuko decided it was payback time; he took some cake and tried to feed it to Toph, purposely getting her face covered in chocolate in the process. "That's payback for before."

"When will you learn, Dancing Dragon?" Toph grinned. "You can't win against me!" Though their supplies were limited, Toph and Zuko had their own little chocolate cake food fight.

There was a soft knocking sound on Toph's door and Zuko froze. It wouldn't exactly cause the best impression if Toph's parents found him in their daughter's room in the middle of the night, both their faces covered in chocolate. But no one opened the door; instead there was a quiet voice Toph recognized as belonging to Terra. "Keep it quiet you two; I'm supposed to rush in if I hear anything suspicious."

Toph laughed and soon Zuko joined her. She was glad that her new bodyguard was more her accomplice than her guard. "I guess we should get cleaned up. Such a waste of good chocolate, but it was fun."

"It doesn't have to go to waste," Zuko licked some of the chocolate from Toph's face.

She was caught by surprise at first, a rare feeling for Toph; but it did feel nice so she returned the gesture.

xoxox xox xoxox

The next morning was a knock of Toph's door, "Lady Toph, time to wake up!" Terra called in a voice that didn't sound as if she had stayed up all night, but she had. Her shift was just about to end in a few hours and she could get some much needed sleep.

Toph shifted in Zuko's arms, she was comfortable and didn't want to get up. Funny how she was the earth bender and he was sleeping like a rock. Usually Zuko was a light sleeper, but tonight he was so relaxed and at the same time tired from staying up late talking to Toph and having a tickle fight, he didn't even hear the knocks on the door or the maid calling.

"Lady Toph, I'm coming in now," Terra opened the door to find the couple cuddled up together.

"Good morning," Toph greeted her casually.

"Oh my goodness! I'm sorry I didn't mean to come in like that... I... um... I'll just wait outside!" Terra rushed out the door.

Toph jumped out of bed and chased after her. "Wait, Terra! What in the world were you thinking?"

Toph jumping away woke Zuko right away. He caught a glimpse of her rushing out then she returned along with the maid. He realized that this was not his guest room and both Toph and Terra were blushing. "We stayed up late talking and fell asleep?" Zuko half stated, half asked, unsure if Terra would believe it.

They had kept their conversation quiet, so quiet it was in whispers, so unless one had very sensitive hearing like Toph, they wouldn't have heard them from outside the room, and they really tried not to laugh too hard during the tickle fight. Misunderstandings followed Zuko everywhere.

Toph tried to make the awkward feeling melt away by getting a casual conversation started and becoming informed about what was expected of the day. "Let me guess? My parents want everyone to get together for an early breakfast?"

"Yes, Terra replied, "prince Zuko, I mean Li, the butler should be going to your room to wake you up soon."

"I'll just sneak in," easier said than done. Even with his ninja-like sneaking skills from his days as the Blue Spirit, there was no way Zuko could get past the lively team of earth benders working on the Bei Fong garden. Sure the guards where mostly around the outer area and the near the gates, but the gardeners were all over the place that morning. Zuko quickly stepped away from the window.

"You'd best sneak back from the inside. I will see if the coast is clear," Terra offered to help.

"Why are you helping us?" Zuko asked, true that Terra was supposed to serve Toph, but she worked for Toph's parents and she wasn't exactly following all their rules, instead helping Toph break them without being caught.

"I miss my grandfather," Terra's answer came as a surprise for Zuko. He didn't understand what her grandfather had to do with anything until she explained. "My parents were a fire bender and an earth bender, a forbidden love that brought them death. They were declared traitors and killed, while my brother and my existence remained a secret. I lived with my mother's parents for most of my life; they were from the Earth Kingdom. Later they were killed in a Fire Nation raid."

Both Zuko and Toph were surprised to hear Terra's story.

Terra continued, "My grandparents from my father's side came to visit us often, along with my older brother who had gone to live with them in the Fire Nation since he was a fire bender. They were the only family I had left, but they feared I would be killed if they took me to the Fire Nation, and they knew they would be in danger in the Earth Kingdom. Still, they chose to stay with me and put my safety first."

Terra paused and Toph tried to be supportive of her. "You don't have to continue if you don't want to."

Terra shook her head, "I would rather tell you both," Toph nodded and Terra continued her story. "My brother later joined the Fire Nation army; he was against the war and intended to work as a secret agent helping people escape to safety and providing warnings with inside information so the civilians could get away. At least that was his plan, but there were rumors that the troop he was in was going to be ambushed and the generals knew about it, yet they weren't going to do anything. It was part of the Fire Nation army's plan, to sacrifice the new soldiers, weaken the Earth Kingdom army, then send more experienced soldiers to finish them off."

Eruption 31: A Sad Past

The story of Terra's brother sounded too familiar to Zuko. Terra mentioned a few more details, the date, the place, and Zuko could do nothing more than stare in shock. It was those troops he had tried to save; Terra's brother was one of them. Because of that sacrifice, Zuko spoke and he was punished for it.

Terra's voice was shaken, but she continued her narration. "My grandfather went to try to warn my brother and talk him into leaving the army, but the troops had already gone to battle. Meanwhile my grandmother and I stayed in a small earth bender village near a forest and we were attacked by a bear. Grandma saved us by scaring it away with her fire bending, but the villages turned against us. She died back then to save my life. My brother Fuego, was killed along with most of the other soldiers and in the end I only had grandpa left. We hid for some time, until I met the Bei Fongs and started working for them. It took a lot of convincing, but I finally got grandpa to go back to his home in the Fire Nation where he was safe. I can't even think of losing him. I write often and let him know I'm alright, sometimes he visits secretly, but as much as I miss him, I don't want him to put himself in danger like that."

Toph and Zuko listened to Terra's story; she had such a hard life.

Terra finished retelling her past revealing a surprise, and her hopes. "Grandpa was in the army in the past and worked for the Dragon of the West for a long time. Grandpa heard from General Iroh that his nephew, prince Zuko was different from Ozai. He's sure that one day, when Zuko is Fire Lord, things will change for the better. Zuko, I want you to be Fire Lord; then everyone can live in peace. You and Lady Toph can make it happen!"

Toph opened her mouth to speak and promptly closed it again.

In a quick change of mood, Terra made herself smile and went ahead to see if anyone was coming. "You'd best hurry back to your room Li!"

Zuko glanced at Toph one last time before following the maid out, he would see her soon again.

xoxox xox xoxox

When Zuko and Terra arrived at the guest room, she opened the door to make sure the butler had not already gone in, in which case she would say she had already taken care of waking the guest. Then she stared at the broken window and the sharp earth stabbed through the bed. "It wouldn't make a lot of sense to say you slept here."

"I forgot," Zuko's mind had been occupied by more pleasant thoughts after the battle ended.

Terra earth bent the floor back to normal and stuffed an extra pillow to cover the hole in the mattress. She quickly got an extra sheet from the closet and hid the damage. Luckily the curtains had been merely been pushed aside and were well enough to be used to cover the window. "I'll make sure the gardeners don't speak if they saw anything this morning."

For the next few minutes after Terra left, Zuko pretended to sleep until the butler came to wake him.

xoxox xox xoxox

The Bei Fong family and their guests gathered around the same oval shaped table from before, though the sitting arrangement was a little different this time. Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong sat together with Toph to their right and the Avatar to their left. Zuko was sitting next to Toph, then Sokka, Suki, Katara and the oval was completed with Aang and the Bei Fongs.

The fact that the Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong knew of Zuko's identity was not mentioned during breakfast. They had already discussed that with him, and there was no need to continue the discussion or involve anyone else in it. Instead they spoke about the most neutral topic of all, the weather.

"There's a storm coming?" Aang looked more worried than was needed, he simply didn't like storms. It was a fear he had learned to face, but he still didn't like it.

"Yes, it usually happens around this time of year, and we have received news that the storm is heading this way fast," Toph's father explained.

Suddenly it made sense when the earth bending gardeners where making little domes of earth over the artistically arranged flowers and plants in the garden, it was to protect them from the coming storm.

xoxox xox xoxox

After breakfast, the Avatar's group stepped outside for a short time. The skies were dark in the distance, even if the sun should have been shining. There were no protests about waiting out the storm at the Bei Fong mansion, and even an indoor area large enough for Appa was built in record time by architect earth benders; the window in Zuko's guest room was also fixed without causing a commotion.

As luck or fate would have it, some important dignitaries of the Earth Kingdom happened to be passing by, and stopped at the Bei Fong mansion. As courtesy the Bei Fong family offered them a place to stay, certain that they would not be able to out run the storm and arrive at their destination. They knew they would be caught in the storm otherwise, and graciously accepted the invitation.

However, Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong made it clear that Zuko had to remain hidden during their entire stay since the dignitaries could recognize him as the Fire Nation prince. Aang and the others, Toph included, offered to keep Zuko company in the deep spacious basements that formed another mansion underground, and thus they escaped having to put up with countless formalities.

Though her parents wanted her to stay and meet the dignitaries, they had no time to argue and let Toph hide as well. Besides, they knew she would be leaving on a trip with the Avatar and they could not stop her; it would not make them look good to admit that, plus few people even knew the Bei Fongs had a daughter in the first place. So it was decided that Toph would also remain hidden along with the Avatar and his friends, until the storm passed and the dignitaries left.

Eruption 32: Together

The Avatar's group was currently hiding in the basement of the Bei Fong mansion, which was like a mirror image of the mansion above, save for the lack of windows. It was so spacious it hardly felt like being underground, but the main give away was the heat. Luckily, there was a pool which Sokka was enjoying very much. He kept climbing up the latter to the top of the jumping board and trying to show off for Suki. The pool was quite big and allowed room for Katara and Aang to improvise little water bending games.

Zuko and Toph sat at the edge of the pool; both had their feet dipped in the water and no intentions of going in. "Is there a fire bender in existence that likes water?" There was no reply. "Hey, dancing dragon, I ask you a question."

"Huh? Oh yeah, I agree!" Zuko didn't quite catch the question but replied to it anyway.

Toph shook her head. "I asked if there are fire benders who like swimming and stuff like that."

"That would be odd, but I guess it's not impossible. I can swim, I don't really like it, but I can do it." Zuko was a little distracted; the words of all the people who counted on him weighted heavily on his shoulders.

"I can't, I nearly drowned once," Toph admitted.

"Do you want to learn?" Zuko offered to teach her and never before had he seen Toph shake her head so energetically.

"No way! I can't see anything in the water," being in the water was worse than walking on sand for Toph, far worse.

"We both dislike being in the water," Zuko observed. "We have that in common."

"Dislike is an understatement, Dancing Dragon," Toph got up and started to walk towards a door in the corner of the pool room.

Zuko followed her while the rest of the group remained absorbed in their pool games. "Where are we going?"

"To see Appa, I think this is where Momo went too," Toph arrived at a large, spacious area where Appa was napping in a pile of soft straw. "Looks like he's enjoying the rest," Momo was curled up on Appa's head also taking pleasure in the rare lazy time.

Zuko felt a breeze in the room, but wasn't sure where it was coming from, how could there be wind underground? "Where's that breeze coming from?" He could pin point the source to some vents overhead, but he had thought they were several levels under the upper mansion. Such a strong breeze, yet not enough to be called wind, shouldn't reach that far.

"It's from the ventilator room, this way," Toph led the way again, opening another door and passing through a dark, narrow corridor. "Careful with the stairs," there was finally a light after turning a corner and going up some stairs.

The light was coming from some big machines fueled by coal and fire to spin large propellers and spread air around the rooms underground. That way, though they were still warm, they wouldn't be too hot and there would be plenty of oxygen and fresh air circulating. It was ironic, but they were using fire to power a machine used to cool off the area.

Zuko followed Toph to the room next to the engines, above the large room where Appa and Momo were. It was quite windy in that room, with a series of pipes connecting to all the other rooms in the underground mansion. The air was being delivered to each room, though the breeze was not always strong enough to be felt.

Toph continued the tour, entering a small room next to the windy one. The room had a cool temperature being next to such a windy place, and the fact they were dressed to be in a pool, even if they didn't go in, became apparent, but it wouldn't be too cold as long as they stayed close.

"Are you going to tell me now, Dancing Dragon?" Toph asked.

"Tell you want?" Zuko replied with another question.

"Something's been bothering you. Is it because of what Terra said? You know, not all earth bender and fire bender couples are doomed to have a tragic ending. The world isn't the story of Rockmeo and Flameliet." Though in that particular tale of tragic star crossed lovers, the woman was the fire bender and the man was the earth bender, but that wasn't the point.

"I know we can work things out, I just didn't realize how many people were counting on it." It wasn't only that, but also the fact that Zuko was reminded of his past and he wondered how he would face his father again. He had faced him during the day of black sun, but next time, history would have to change.

"You worry too much, was that all?" Toph could feel that there was more to it than that and she was right.

"I was remembering my past. I got this scar trying to save some troops that would be sacrifice; Terra's brother was with them." Zuko noted Toph's curious yet confused look.

"You knew Fuego?" He had not mentioned it before, so Toph assumed that even if Zuko might have heard about the plan, he didn't know any of the soldiers involved.

"No, but I was there when the plan was discussed with the Fire Lord." It was painful to remember such things, but for once, Zuko felt like he wanted to let it all out and he trusted Toph, he wouldn't talk to a lot of people about these things. "I wasn't supposed to go into the meeting room, but I begged my uncle to take me along until he agreed. When the plan was explained I spoke against it and angered the general who suggested it. I promised uncle not to say anything, but I did anyway. I was ready to face the general in agni kai, a fire duel, but instead I ended up facing my own father. After I refused to fight, I ended up with this burn on my face, back then I wasn't even sure my left eye would still work, it's a miracle it does. After that I was banished and had to capture the Avatar to restore my honor."

Toph took in Zuko's words. He never truly hated Aang, or hope itself. He wanted to get his home back, to return to his normal life and capturing the Avatar was the only way he had to do it. Toph had thought her past was complicated, being hidden from the world and treated like a helpless little girl. Where she was pressured to be as fragile as a glass doll, he was pressured to be as strong as unfeeling stone; and neither could live up to those expectations. Toph hugged Zuko, feeling his warmth. "You have a new life now."

"I know, even with all that happened, I'm glad I could get to this point," Zuko sincerely meant it.

Eruption 33: Secrets Revealed

When Zuko and Toph returned, they found out that Sokka had accidentally splashed the fire torches that kept the pool room lit. When Aang tried to get light them again, he accidentally burned himself. Katara healed him, it was nothing serious, but Sokka announced that he blamed Zuko for not being there to fire bend the torches back on.

"It's not my fault this time, just admit that you're a disaster waiting to happen too," Zuko replied to Sokka.

For once, Katara agreed with Zuko, and they all shared tales of the funny things Sokka had done over the course of their trip. Later, Sokka and Suki went for a walk in the underground mansion.

xoxox xox xoxox

That night, Toph's parents snuck underground after the diplomats fell asleep exhausted from their trip. Soft music played in the deeper floors, enough for Sokka and Suki to follow it and join the dancing, but not enough for anyone in the above ground mansion to hear it. They wanted to know why Toph called Zuko Dancing Dragon, which ended with him dancing with Toph.

Seeing them together, Aang let a little important piece of information slip as he danced near by with Katara, not realizing what he was saying. "They really make a cute couple."

Mrs. Bei Fong stepped on Mr. Bei Fong's feet on accident. "What did you say?"

Everyone stopped dancing and Aang wished he could disappear, while poor Mr. Bei Fong went to sit down. "Noting just that they're cute together dancing like that. It doesn't mean anything, just that they're um... good dancers."

"Oh, yes of course," Mrs. Bei Fong went to sit next to her husband whose expression also showed relief. They weren't quite ready to know about their daughter's boyfriend just yet.

"Actually," Toph began, her parents looked towards her and Aang shook his head vigorously, but she ignored him. "Zuko and I are already a couple."

The Bei Fongs stared open mouthed for a few minutes before they exploded in a fit of 'if's 'and's and 'but's. Finally they presented their final argument in unison "it's too dangerous!"

"How is it dangerous?" Toph raised her tone, she wasn't giving them a say in this; they had to learn to trust her. Sure Zuko had made some mistakes in the past, but he honestly tried to fix them. Sure he might be a disaster waiting to happen sometimes, but nothing truly fatal had come out of it. "You wanted me to work with him in the future; I would have to be around him a lot for that to happen."

"People will consider you a traitor because you're with a fire bender," Toph's father explained. "Working with a fire bender, or rather negotiating, is fine, it will be needed for peace, but you won't be able to do that if people don't believe you will be neutral and fair."

"I can be neutral and fair!" Toph argued.

"Even if you are, which will be hard given the circumstances, people will not believe it," Toph's mother insisted.

"But I'm the Avatar; I can tell people that I know Toph will be fair!" Aang was completely ignored while the Bei Fongs continued arguing with their daughter.

"Toph," Zuko finally spoke, and though he did not try to be heard over the other voices, which included Katara, Sokka and Suki who had joined the argument in Toph's favor, he was heard anyway, and they all fell silent. Zuko felt as they stared at him, maybe he even felt Toph's earth bending sight focused on him, and he spoke. "Toph, if you can't be a diplomat for the Earth Kingdom that's fine, you'd be too busy doing that other job I told you about anyway."

Toph mussed over Zuko's words, and the answer came to her. "Right, I'll be too busy. I'm sure that other job will be more fun anyway."

Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong looked confused. What was that other job that Toph could be planning to do? "Not a military job I hope." Mr. Bei Fong disapproved. Sure Toph had the required power, but they wanted her to be safe, at least after the war, since they couldn't do much to stop her in the present time.

"I would say it's more political than military," Toph's little hint brought relief to her parents, but they still wished to know what exactly she was talking about.

"What kind of job is it?" Mr. Bei Fong inquired.

"Is it an important position?" Mrs. Bei Fong added, hoping the answer was yes. Not all political positions were high ranked.

"Fire Lady," Toph replied and Zuko felt his face turn red, he didn't understand how she could say it so easily without a hint of discomfort.

Sure Zuko was happy to hear it, it was something that was said before, a dream he wanted to turn into reality one day, but that didn't mean he could easily announce it at the top of his lungs without his face gaining a few shades of red.

Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong were speechless. They went from staring at Toph to staring at Zuko, which would explain his sudden discomfort. Zuko was about to speak, but Mr. and Mrs. Bei Fong drowned him in questions first, faster than he could reply, and it was all a chaotic blur after that.

After Zuko swore on his life who knows how many times, that he would forever protect Toph and be the perfect example of a good husband, things started to calm down a little, though they made both Zuko and Toph promise that they would remain friends only until after the war ended and Zuko was well settled into the position of Fire Lord. Of course they were not planning to keep their words on that, they would continue being together until then and beyond, but there was no need to interrupt a relationship that was going so well.

Eruption 34: Badger Moles

After leaving the Bei Fong mansion, sneaking out when the diplomats were gone, the Avatar's group took a small stop at the cave of two lovers. Suki had not gotten the change to walk through it with Sokka so they went inside on their way back to their temple home.

Again the couples split up in the cave, though this time Appa and Momo decided not to play the third, and forth, wheel and instead flew over the cave to wait at the other side, hidden from view.

With no lights, and without the use of fire bending, this time Zuko was able to see the glowing crystal he heard about. Toph felt the ground move signaling the approach of the badgermoles and smiled. "I think the badgermoles are in a better mood this time."

Zuko made sure not to scare them this time, and watched Toph approach the two large earth bending animals. She remembered when she first learned how to earth bend from those other badgermoles. They bent tunnels and she followed them, with Zuko a few steps behind.

"They want to show us something." The tunnels continued deep underground creating slides. "This'll be fun!" Toph hopped into one of the earth slides and went sliding down laughing all the way. "Zuko you have to try this!"

To Zuko the tunnels were dark, the crystals were left behind above and now he had no idea where he was going. "Toph?" He followed the general direction of Toph's voice and stepped on the slide, slipped and went sliding down as well.

Though not as joyful as Toph at first, Zuko eventually started to enjoy the ride and when he finally reached the deep bottom it felt like it was too soon.

"Toph are you here?" Zuko thought he heard her laughing, probably playing with the badgermoles, but he couldn't see anything in the darkness.

"Right next to you, you can fire bend now. The badger moles are far enough, you have to see this place," Toph didn't want him to miss out on what she could see with vibrations. Besides, the badger moles trusted them both now, so it would be alright.

"Are you sure? What if I scare them?" Zuko didn't want another disaster; he remembered how upset Toph was the last time.

"It's okay, go ahead," Toph assured him.

Zuko fire bended a small flame in his hand. He noticed a structure that looked like it could hold a torch and placed the flame there. A line of fire surrounded the area, lighting other torches as it extended, and for a moment Zuko thought he had somehow set the very earth on fire.

Fortunately, the fire stopped spreading and the line of flames dissipated with only the torches staying lit, it was truly amazing. The cave had been earth bended into an elaborate slide, similar to a roller coaster. It was like the mail delivery system of major earth bender cities in the not so distant past. "Wow, this place is great!"

"Yes it is, and we get to play in it!" Toph cheered.

The next few hours were spent playing with the badgermoles and sliding around like children. Finally, when they noticed the flow of time, they realized they should be getting back. The badgermoles carried Toph and Zuko back to the upper cave level, then gave them a ride to the exit where their friends were.

Toph heard them discussing the possibilities of what could have happened to her and Zuko because they could not be found, when the badgermoles came. "Hey guys, we had so much fun!" Toph hopped off the badger mole that was carrying her.

"Toph! Zuko!" Katara began in a motherly fashion. "We were so worried about you!"

"We lost track of time," Zuko jumped off the other badgermole and both badgermoles went back inside the cave.

"You can't keep disappearing like that, we were worried sick, you have no idea how much," Katara continued her motherly speech, while Aang tried to calm her.

Sokka quietly approached and whispered to Zuko, "you totally snuck off to make out, didn't you?"

Zuko felt his face turn red, "don't say things like that, it's not what happened."

Sokka elbowed the fire bender, though not too hard, "sure it wasn't." There was a certain knowing mischief in his voice that made Zuko think that's what Sokka and Suki had done.

"Give them a break, Katara," they were all thankful for Suki's presence and her ability to get Katara out of the motherly mode.

The group was about to ride back to the temple on Appa, Zuko and Toph clearly needed baths and a change of clothes since they were covered in earth. Toph might say it was healthy, but they still needed to get cleaned up. But before Appa could take off, Toph stopped, and looked towards a bunch of rocks. "Ninja Warrior, you do remember my ability to see with earth bending don't you? You must have noticed when I won the tournament."

The earth bender known as Ninja Warrior came out of hiding, "you are very skilled indeed."

Everyone took battle positions, Ninja Warrior's sudden appearance was very suspicious and even more so because he was hiding.

Ninja Warrior raised his hands as if to signal he had no intentions of fighting and the group put away their weapons and elements but strayed on their guard. "There's no need to fear, I only wish to join your little group."

Ninja Warrior sounded convincing, but Toph didn't believe him. "Liar!" Once again the group got ready for the attack.

"It's the truth! I wish to help the Avatar!" Seeing that Toph was not convinced by Ninja Warrior's words, the rest of the group did not believe him either. "I see you're very skilled. Alright I'll tell you the truth. My name is Kenu and I'm a skilled earth bender, as you might remember. I came here looking for Toph."

Eruption 35: Fight for Love

"Why were you looking for me?" Toph asked Kenu, suspiciously.

"Because you've stolen my heart," Kenu's reply took everyone by surprise.

Toph was about to say she wasn't single, but Zuko spoke first. "Don't you dare go near Toph."

Kenu laughed in a mocking tone. "You dare to tell me what to do? You? A non-bender? Oh yes, it's obvious. I can tell you have no talent." Kenu had not seen Zuko use fire, and apparently he had not heard about it either. "The famous Blind Bandit needs someone of her own rank by her side. We'll be the greatest earth bending team!"

Zuko was absolutely furious. Who did Kenu think he was? Stalking Toph, insulting him and acting as if he was the greatest ever. "A battle, here and now!"

"Fine, I accept non-bender!" Kenu agreed.

Katara tried to stop the battle to no avail. "Why don't we all calm down and talk about this. Listen Kenu, you're a great earth bender but that's not all there in a relationship. Besides, Toph already has a boyfriend."

"That's true, I already have a boyfriend, and even if I didn't I would never date you," Toph firmly added.

"I know I can change your mind about that Toph," Kenu completely ignored Katara and remained stubborn on his plans with Toph. "I saw you and your boyfriend in the audience during the tournament, I knew you weren't single and I don't care."

Realization suddenly washed over the group. "You were the one who send Unbeatable Muscle to kill me," Zuko was sure of it. But apparently, Unbeatable Muscle had decided not to inform Kenu about Zuko's fire bending.

"It looks like I'll have to do it myself after all," in a split second the group was surrounding Kenu, weapons and elements ready for the attack. "Of course a non-bender like you can't possibly fight for himself."

All the actual non-benders of the team were wishing to show this insolent fool their power, but Zuko stepped forward first. "The challenge has already been accepted, this is our fight!"

Toph listened in surprise. She never thought two men would fight over her. "Beat him up Li!" She smiled and gave a thumbs up, it was her turn to trust him.

Zuko returned the smile. "This will be over fast."

The group had no choice but to give Zuko and Kenu some space for the fight. Toph gave the signal and the battle began.

Kenu started by throwing small boulders at Zuko to stop him from getting close enough to attack with his swords. At the same time, the earth bender held many rocks floating all around, shaping them to be sharp and pointy for his finishing move.

Zuko dodged or sliced though the rocks with his swords. Kenu saw Zuko advancing and tried to trap his feet on the ground. But Zuko kept moving avoiding the earth bending traps.

Zuko was only a few feet away from Kenu. In one last desperate effort, Kenu made the earth around him rise up and wrap itself around Zuko's feet. The move covered the entire radius around Kenu, so even if Zuko moved fast he would have been caught.

Kenu dropped several of the pointed rocks on that last move, because of the amount of energy and focus it required. He guided the remaining stone knives in the air and prepared for his final attack. "Any last words?"

Zuko started to break free with his swords and Kenu quickly sent the sharp pieces of stone towards him. Zuko was able to free himself and slashed away at the pieces of flying earth.

Aang was tempted to interfere but Toph stopped him. "I like to be trusted and in the same way, I also trust Zuko."

Aang sighed and watched the battle, "alright..."

Zuko made it out of the rain of stones with little more than a few minor scratches. He held his swords at Kenu's throat like a pair of giant scissors. "Give up?" This was what Zuko wanted, not only to win, but to do it without bending, to defend his warrior comrades too.

Kenu gave Zuko a glare full of hatred. "You got lucky." Kenu stepped back and Zuko took it as a surrender. "Toph did you help him by slowing down my earth bending? You did, I know you did!"

"I didn't do anything! Li won fair and square. I can truthfully say he held back so you can consider yourself lucky." Toph gave Zuko a congratulatory hug and kiss, which he happily responded to.

Grumbling something about revenge, Kenu left, and the Avatar's group once again rode on Appa. "I think he'll be back," Sokka looked at Kenu, who was now a small dot in the ground below.

"I still think there could have been a better solution." Katara voiced her concern, more to herself than anyone else.

"Oh well, there's always someone chasing us." Aang tried to lighten the mood.

"I won't let you get caught." Zuko hugged Toph; they were quite comfortable in each others arms. "I know you could have earth bent him to the other side of the world but..."

"I understand; you wanted to get a chance to beat him too, right? Next time it's my turn, they you can beat him up after that, if he comes back for more." Toph would have been upset if Zuko was overprotecting her, but he admitted he knew she could handle the situation.

Toph had already defeated Kenu before when he fought in the earth bending tournament as Ninja Warrior, and his technique had not really changed. Zuko wasn't fighting for her as much as he was fighting together with her, and that made all the difference.

The breeze in the clear cloudless skies, was soft and pleasant, but there was an unusual amount of birds and other flying creatures heading in the opposite direction of Appa's flight towards the air temple.

"Something is strange, I can feel it," Aang was starting to feel uneasy.

Momo curled up in Suki's arms seemingly frightened. "Whatever it is, Momo feels it too."

Appa growled and stopped in mid air. A strange light came from the location of the temple and reached for the sky. Scared, Appa flew away in the opposite direction with everyone who was riding him holding on, trying not to fall.

"Appa, what's wrong? Slow down!" Aang tried to calm the flying bison, but it looked like Appa wouldn't stop until he was away from the temple and the odd light.

To be Continued

Disclaimer, I don't own Avatar: The Last Air Bender. Fuego is another minor OC, along with Kenu (Ninja Warrior) and the others already specified. Rockmeo and Flameliet (Eruption 32) is a reference to Romeo and Juliet. Toph playing with the badgermoles (Eruption 34) was requested by deidaras angel91.
Sign up to rate and review this story