Categories > Original > Horror > The Move

The Move

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

Moving to Los Angeles was hard. I had to leave all of my memories I made in Jersey.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2009-07-21 - Updated: 2009-07-21 - 5030 words

0Unrated

A/N: I'm still writing for my other story "My Vampire" but this is just a side project. Reviews?


Moving to Los Angeles was hard. I had to leave all of my memories I made in Jersey. New Jersey was my home. I hate moving. We moved a lot. My dad was in the military and my mom was just a stay at home mom. My brother was an auto mechanic. Well, he was. But since we moved he going to have to look for another job. But maybe he could find another garage to work in. He wants to have his own garage one day. That was his dream job. He loved cars. He loved to fix them up and race them. He would take to the drag and race a few cars. Sometimes he would take me with him. I loved to watch him race, but he loved fixing cars more. My parents hated his job, but they don’t anymore. Just because of the move they want him to find a different job. One that paid well and didn’t involve cars. As for me, I’m still looking for job. I just turned sixteen. Now I was looking for small job, one that I could work the hours and still go to school. I want to be tattoo artist. I love to draw. Once I graduate I want to go to an art institute in New York. It’s my dream, but my mom and dad hate it. They want me to work for the government. And FBI or something that involved crimes. I did too, but then I started to think about it and had second thoughts. I didn’t want to deal with other people’s problems. I had enough of my own. And moving too much was one of them.
Sitting in the car and watching out the window was getting boring already. I tried to entertain myself with some music. I pulled out my iPod and slipped in the white ear buds into my ears. Turning it on The Night by Disturbed poured from the ear buds. But it seemed not even music could amuse me. But I just kept the iPod on to keep myself from hearing my mom’s country music. Even my dad had put his iPod on. My brother was on his laptop, but he had his headphones plugged in and seemed to be watching something on YouTube. I didn’t know what it was, and him being my brother I didn’t want to know. I just kept on looking out the window at everything we were passing and leaving behind. The farther I got from the airport the more I was leaving behind than I thought.
By the time we reached our new house I had fallen asleep and so had my brother. His head was up against the window and his mouth open. I could see the shine in his transparent drool that was clinging on to his chin. I smiled and shook my head.
We pulled up to a yellow house. The car jumped as we ran over rocks and went under into the big holes in the dirt road that lead to the two car garage attached to the house. All I heard was that it was a three-story with five baths and had a huge backyard. Like we’ll need it.
As we pulled up closer to the house I saw that it had a wrap around deck and all the rooms upstairs had balconies and sliding glass doors. My mom parked in front of the white garage door and we all got out of the car to stretch and explore. I was the last in the house. Inside was huge. But I was getting tired of huge. The grand foyer didn’t amaze me like it did before when I was six. The kitchen did wow me either. And neither did anything else in the house.
After I toured the house I went out back and scanned the large dead area. There were no fences and no plants, but only yellow grass and a shed. We didn’t exactly live in Los Angeles, more like on the out-skirts. But the city wasn’t far up the road. I could ride my bike, or even walk there under a half hour. My mom knew dad, Addison and me didn’t want to be kept up all night with police sirens and the honking from angry drivers. I only made the exception to New Jersey because even though there were many crimes I always thought the sirens were a meaning that people were still out there in the cold cruel world and people would still be there in ten years from now. But this wasn’t Jersey, and I had told my mom specifically no big city things. Back in Jersey there were really no big cities, just small towns scattered all over the small state. But Los Angeles was different. I hated the heat. It was always warm and dry. Jersey was cold and wet, and that’s what I missed the most. “Do you like it?” I heard my brother’s voice come from behind me. I turned and frowned taking out one ear bud.
“This place stinks.” I walked back to the house before I fried underneath the hot sun of Los Angeles, California.

I had picked my room already and was putting posters up. The movers were still unloading everything from the U-Haul and loading it into the correct room. There were only four rooms and out of the four two had a bathroom connected to it. I called dibs on one and my parents on the other. They got the master bedroom on the third floor. I got mine on the second floor, and so did my brother. His room was right across from mine. He knew I hated to be alone at all costs. He was a good, but stupid, brother.
With the movers still coming in and out of the house and everyone getting settled I headed to explore more. Walking to the third floor and finding a hidden attic. The weird thing was that it was clean. No sign of dust and no sign of spider webs ever being there. That kind of crept me out, but I wasn’t complaining.
The attic had a light and a window. It was not bad.
Now going down to the second floor there wasn’t much to see. Just a laundry room and a bathroom. Then, heading down the stairs there was the living room. Now stacked high with boxes and clear plastic totes, and there was the kitchen. Scattered with unwrapped appliances and cooking wear. Then there was another laundry room and another bathroom. As I headed out of the back door a shining knob caught my eyes. I looked and there was a door. Blood red with a silver brass knob. Opening the door not a peep came from the darkness in front of me. I reached out and felt nothing but cold air and the dampness of the dark. I ran to the kitchen and looked through the boxes. I knew we had a flashlight somewhere. I finally found it and headed back to the door.
Flinging the door back open I turned on the flashlight. I held it out in front of me and scanned the darkness. I could see nothing. I pointed the flashlight down expecting to see at least stairs, but no stairs. Just an old wooden ladder. I sat on the edge of the drop and turned around and placed my foot on the first rung of the ladder. I headed down into the darkness until I could feel ground under my Converse. I flashed the flashlight and found that this was a basement. I looked around and found a light switch flicked it on. Light filled the room in little beams. There was a desk covered in stickers, and a black chair. In the far corner was a small lamp. It stood about three and a half feet tall. There were six little covers for the lights inside. In various colors. It was great for an art studio. I could bring all my art supplies down here and my books, my stereo, and my records. This would be a great for me. I raced back up the ladder and went looking for my brother. He was found in his room hanging posters and putting his basketball trophies on the his mahogany bookshelf. “Addison, I need you.” I smiled as he turned to face me.
“For what?” He asked.
“I found something. C’mon, I can’t go by myself.” I tugged on his arm as he groaned and let me pull him all the way to the door in the back. “Come on.” I opened the door and went down the ladder. Since the light was still on I didn’t really need the flashlight. “Look.” I said to my brother.
“This is cool.” He looked over and ran his fingers over the desk and the chair. “It’s still sturdy.” He smiled and looked at the ceiling, and so did. I hadn’t noticed, but the ceiling was painted. There stars and all the planets and the moon. It was beautifully done, so intricate and it was great in detail. Who ever did this was very good. They paid very close attention to every aspect of the mural. “Now that is art.” He smiled and stared in admiration at the ceiling.
“Is there a plug anywhere? Maybe I could bring my stereo down, and my record player. And add a lamp on the desk. And we could put some rugs and bean bag chairs down here.” I smiled and looked over the walls. There were a few plugs, and that’s all she needed. “Maybe we could put a TV down here with the X-Box and Guitar Hero.” I looked around some more. “This would be a great hang out place. A nice lounge.” I looked over at my brother. He nodded eagerly. “But we just need to change that ladder and put some stairs or something.” I looked around and imagined the place after we fixed it up a bit. It would look really nice.
We headed back upstairs to finish unpacking. It was hot and I was already starting to sweat. I hated this weather. It’s spring break and it’s ninety degrees outside. It’s going to suck for me in this sun. Most of my clothes are black. Now, after putting my books in a separate box with all my art supplies and papers. Including my paints, paint brushes, canvas’, pastels, colored pencils, and Ebony pencils I dragged the box to the basement door. I wondered how I was going to get the box down in one piece and without breaking anything. I thought about dropping it down, and taking down with me as I climbed down the ladder. But neither seemed promising not to break anything. I just sighed and went back up to my room. I set up my flat screen and surround sound, my stereo and my book shelf. But the book shelf was taking up too much space. So I dragged that to the basement door as well. How was I going to get this thing down there? This was going to be tricky. If the basement had stairs it wouldn’t be hard to get this shit in there. I just left again and unpacked all my clothes, pictures, basketball trophies, compact discs, records and my comic book collection.
I decided to take my compact discs, records and comic book collection to the basement. The box I put them in wasn’t heavy and was pretty small. I managed to take it down without breaking or dropping anything from the box. Just placing the box in the middle of the room I looked up and stared at the mural on the ceiling again. I saw that one of the stars was a little weird. I cocked my head and stared at it for a little while more and noticed that there was a door. Like the door leading to the attic. I knew it led somewhere. I ran back upstairs and grabbed Addison’s arm and dragging him to the closet where my mom stored the ladder. “Here, take this.” I handed the ladder to my brother and he helped me carry it down the ladder leading to the basement. “I found something else.” I carried the ladder over to the door while he came down the ladder. I opened the ladder and positioned it at the door. “Look,” I climbed the ladder and pushed on the wood. It opened and I pushed the door to the side. “Can you hand me the flashlight?” I held my hand out to Addison while I scanned the darkness until I felt the cold metal of the flashlight against my palm. I quickly pulled up the flashlight and turned it on and pointed everywhere. I pulled myself up and stood in the darkness.
“What’s up there?” I heard my brother ask.
“Nothing.” I shrugged. I kept scanning and found it was a narrow hall. “It’s a hall.” I cautiously walked down the narrow hall.
“I’m coming up.” My brother called from down bellow.
I heard him climb up the ladder and follow me down the hall. I waited till he was by my side before I continued to explore down the hall.
We kept walking until we hit a dead end. We came to a wood wall. Covered in dust I inspected it. Maybe there was some kind of secret hidden door or exit that led somewhere else, but I didn’t find anything. I turned around and saw my brother staring at the wall. Right behind him was ladder. “Look,” I smiled and climbed up the ladder. We came to another hall with wood walls. I could hear my brother just coming up the ladder behind me. This time I saw an opening which light had shown through above my head. I stood on my tip toes but with me only being 4’ 11” I couldn’t see anything. “Can you give me a boost?” I asked my brother who had been awfully quiet this whole time.
“Yeah,” He entwined his fingers together and lowered his palms to the ground. I slowly placed one foot on his palms and gripped his shoulders. In one swift movement I was up in the air. I peered out of the hole and saw it was the fireplace on the second floor. Like on the Goonies I was underneath the wood that was stacked on an iron rack. I could see the living space filled with moving boxes. “What do you see?” My brother choked out and his arms started to shake. I had totally forgotten he was still holding me up.
“It’s the second floor’s fire place we’re in, dude.” I said as I took one last look. “This is weird.” I smiled. “Put me down.” I said as he let me drop to my feet.
On my left I saw wood stairs leading up to the darkness. I made my way up. Some of the stairs creaked under my feet as I slowly walked up the old brown stair case. This house was very strange. I was actually liking this house.
The more we ventured up the stairs the lower the ceiling got to the top of my head. Then we reached another wall. What was with these walls? I sighed frustrated sitting down on the stairs. There were no more stairs or doors that I could see. I stood the flashlight up on it’s flat bottom. The small portion I sat on was illuminated with dim yellow light. I heard my brother moving around behind me. “Hey,” I heard him say. I looked back as he inspected the wall. “Look,” he pointed to the wall. I got up and grabbed the flashlight.
“What is it?” I asked as I stood next to him and stared at the small hole in the wall. I saw him shrug and place his hands on the wall. He lightly pushed and I heard the wall creek. Then he pushed a little harder and a piece of the wall was pushed forward inside the wall. “Whoa.” I gasped. Then my brother stuck his finger in the hole and pushed the door with his finger to the left. It slowly opened the reveal more darkness. I pointed the flashlight and saw that it was the attic. “This is the attic.” I smiled and climbed through the little opening. I hadn’t even noticed it was there when I came up.
“C’mon. We need to unpack and get settled.” Addison said coming from the hole and closing it. Then heading to the small door and opening it and climbing down.
“Hey, maybe your friends can hang in here and I can keep the basement for my art and music. What do ya think?” I asked as we headed back to our rooms on the second floor.
“Yeah, sure.” He smiled. I knew that smile. Something was wrong, and I knew exactly what it was that was brothering him. He hated moving. Having to adjust to an new place and new time zone and climate.
“Dude,” He looked over at me with a frown. “It’s gonna be okay.” I hugged him.
“I know.” He whispered to me. We broke apart and resumed to unpack our stuff.

By midnight I finished unpacking my things and organizing my room. I also found a way to out the things in the basement. I just went though the attic. This house was too cool.
We had some take-out and I went to sleep early. I needed to get up early and get ready for my first day as a sophomore at my new high school. “Good night, Addi.” I used my brother’s nick name I gave him when I was two. I’ve used it ever since.
“Night, lil’ sis.” He smiled and closed his bedroom door. I smiled and did the same.

The next day I awoke to my alarm clock screaming in my ear. I got up unwillingly and took a shower. Finding some black skinny jeans, a My Chemical Romance band tee, and my white high top Converse. Once I was dressed I applied my black eyeliner in thin lines around my eyes. Then flat ironing my hair to make it nice and straight rather than curly and poofy. I always hated my hair like that.
My brother drove me to school and told me to call him to come and pick me up once I got out of school. I entered and headed straight for the office and catching some weird glances from students nearby. There they gave me my schedule and hoped I had a good day. The first day at a new school is never a good day.
I left the office to my first period just as the bell rang. Now walking into the classroom I see everyone seated and waiting for the teacher to start class. I walk up to my art teacher and tell her I’m the new student. She smiles and welcomes me. “Take the seat next to Adam. The one in the way back corner.” She pointed to a guy in a pink t-shirt with sandy blonde hair. I just sigh and drag my messenger bag to my seat and drop it down. I sit and wait for class to start.
The next two periods were the last before lunch. I had a twenty for lunch but nothing looked good enough to eat. I was glad I packed a bag of Redvines and a Rockstar before I headed out this morning. I took a seat at an empty table and set my bag on the floor. I opened my Redvines and took one out. “You’re in my seat.” The guy from first period smiled. I looked up and stared at him.
“Um, I’m sorry.” I got up and was about to leave when he laughed.
“I was just kidding. Sit, dude.” He smiled at me and sat his tray down before he took a seat across from me. I just slowly sat back down and felt awkward. “So, are you new?” He asked. I hated that question. Are you new? They already knew the answer, so why were they asking still?
“I hate that question. You already know the answer.” I took a bite of my licorice.
“I guess that’s a yes.” He laughed as he took a sip at his steaming tomato soup. How could people eat that in one hundred degree weather? It was insane.
“I like your pants. My mom would never let me wear those things. She would probably choke me with one of those chains.” I laughed. He smiled. He was wearing big black Goth Tripp pants. They had silver chains hanging onto the sides and were just the pants I wanted.
“My mom doesn’t care. Just as long as I’m not wearing a thong under then I’m good to go.” He smiled as I grimaced. I just shook my head and offered him some licorice he took gladly. “So, where did you move from?” He asked and I smiled and thanked God he had changed the subject.
“Jersey.” I smiled and remembered the parks and fountains, and all the trees and plants around.
“The Garden State?” He asked as he took a bite of the licorice I gave him and nodded. “So you’ve been to New York?” He asked as his eyes lit up with interest.
“Yeah, many times. It’s beautiful with all the lights at night.” I smiled and remembered staying in a nice hotel and looked out at the city.
“I so want to go there.” He grinned. “So, I guess you’re not use to the climate here?’ He stated more than asked.
“Yes, I hate the sun. It’s too hot over here. How can people live like this? In the sun? Aren’t they aware they can catch skin cancer from tanning too much, or too much exposure to UVB Rays?” I grimaced. I hate too much sun and too much heat. Jersey was so better. It actually snowed there, and rained.
“I guess not.” He glared over at the preppy girls that were pointing their boney fingers at me. They were really tan, and had long blonde hair and were wearing too much make up. I could smell their perfume and the fresh nail polish they wore in thick layers on their fake plastic nails. I glanced over at them and felt the bile rise up in my throat and had to immediately avert my eyes before I threw up all over their fake blonde hair.
“They make me sick.” I pretended to gag. He just laughed. “Adam, right?” I asked just to be sure.
“Yeah. What about you?” He asked as he shook my hand firmly.
“Andrea,” I smiled. He was not half bad looking. And he was really nice. So far.
“Nice.” He took a bite of his grilled cheese. I just sipped at my Rockstar and took another bite of licorice. There was a small silence that filled our conversation that was replaced with talking teenagers in the cafeteria. All the mumbling and laughing. I just scanned the cafeteria and saw all the cliques sitting at different tables. The jocks and cheerleaders at one table, the gangsters and their little Mexican girlfriends at another, all the Asians next to the table near the jocks and cheerleaders, the skaters in one corner of the cafeteria, the ‘wanna be’ gangsters and their white girlfriends, and us. The outcasts of the social status clubs. The social retards that only talk to flowers and dirt. “So,” I heard Adam say, making me turn to see him. “Where do you live?” He asked.
“I live on the outskirts of LA. My big brother picks me up and drops me off.” I said as I watched him gulp down the last of his tomato soup. He nodded and wiped his mouth the back of his hand. “We moved here so my dad could be closer to work.” I nodded as I took another sip at my Rockstar.
“What does he do that moved you all the way across the country?” Adam asked.
“He’s a general or something in the military and moved to another base here or something.” I frowned. “I hate moving.” I sighed and finished off my last bit of licorice in my hand.
“I’ve never moved in my life. I was born here and was raised here. My dad left me and my mom when I was three.” He finished his grilled cheese and frowned.
“I’m sorry.” I looked at him with sympathy. I couldn’t imagine life without my mom and dad, or just without my dad. Even though he was really worked he still tried to spend time with me and my brother and my mom.
The day finished quickly and I went to my locker. Taking out the books I needed when someone came up behind me and picked me up. They hauled me over to someone’s locker that was open a crack. The person opened the locker and pushed me in. I heard it was some guy. “What the fuck!?” I cried as he shut the locker and locked me in. “Hey!” I cried and started banging on the locker. After ten minutes I just gave up. Then I heard someone put in the combo and mumbling on the outside. “Hey!” I yelled.
“What the fuck?” A guy asked and pulled the door open. I fell to the floor and threw up. “Gross!” He jumped back.
“Yeah!” I saw Adam put a camera to my face. “Say hi to the camera!” Adam continued to film me. I glared at the lens and then pushed it away. I got up and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand that was covered with my hood cuff. “That was sick!” Adam said and patted my back.
“You know this chick?” I turned to see this guy. He was tall and slender. He had electric blue hair and hazel eyes. This eyeliner embroidered his eyes.
“Yeah, this is Andrea. Andrea, this is Nico. He’s one of my friends.” He smiled and put his arm around my shoulders. Down the hall I could see my locker was open and my stuff was scattered around it.
“More like your only friend.” Nico snorted. Then I saw someone picking up my stuff.
“Yeah, right! Andrea is my friend now.” I heard Adam argue.
“Hey! Don’t touch any of that!” I ran to my locker. The guy was picking up my books and pencils.
“I’m sorry. I was just gonna put it back.” He shrugged and handed it to me. “I was just trying to help.” He shrugged again.
“Well, I don’t need your help.” I picked up my messenger bag and shoved everything in there.
“Yeah, she has all the help she needs right here.” Adam came up and wrapped his limp arm around my shoulders again. I just looked at him and rolled my eyes. I continued to pick up my stuff and crush it in my bag.
“John,” The guys held out his hand for me to shake. I looked at it and rolled my eyes.
“Andrea.” I smiled but didn’t shake his hand.
“Dude, that janitor over there is pissed.” Nico ran up to us with his backpack slung over his shoulder.
“Sorry, I’m claustrophobic.” I bit my lip.
“Here.” Nico handed me a mint. I smiled and popped it into my mouth. “Actually, take the whole thing.” Nico handed me the whole pack.
“Thank you.” I poured all the mints into my mouth and the guys laughed. “Now, I have to go.” I was about to walk away.
“The buses are already gone.” John smirked.
“I know. My brother picks me up.” I walked out the front door with Adam and Nico at either side of me. Then I called my brother. The guys waited with me. They walk home. “Bye guys.” I waved when my brother pulled up.
“See ya.” They called out in unison. They burst out laughing and I giggled and shook my head.
The whole car ride was silent. Once we got home it was rather quiet. “Where’s mom?” I asked Addison.
“She didn’t tell you? She got a job at that salon. She gets home at six.” Addison headed upstairs and I followed. “How was school?” Addison asked. We both sat in his room.
“Shit.” I mumbled.
“Make any friends?” He asked as he got on his computer and fumbled with the keys.
“Two.” I held up my two fingers and scanned his room. He decorated good. “Okay, I gotta go. I have homework.” I got up and went to my room. I closed the door and just laid on my bed. I really didn’t have any homework. I just wanted to be alone. Think about everything in life and everything that’s happening. But it seems I can’t even think straight. I just head to the basement. I connected my stereo and my record player and just stuck in Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. My Chemical Romance’s third album. It puts me at ease and I can draw. Now I’m at the desk with a Ebony pencil in hand and a black piece of paper in front of me. Soon enough my hand started to wander and explore the paper making marks as it went along. An hour later I had a nice piece of artwork that will never be appreciated by anyone but me and my brother.
Sign up to rate and review this story