Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho

Broadway

by SereneShadow 0 reviews

Kurama, Kuwabara, Hiei, Keiko, and Yusuke are famous movie stars going to the premier of their big film. Only...where is Yusuke? Why has Keiko been feeling badly lately? And is that a real gun that...

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Hiei,Kazuma Kuwabara,Keiko,Kurama,Yusuke - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-08-17 - Updated: 2009-08-27 - 2679 words - Complete

0Unrated
Broadway

Keiko Ukimora, better known as Kayko, stepped out of the white stretch limousine she owned and placed one silver high heel on a red carpet. Fans instantly began screaming her name, and the girl smiled confidently as she placed down the other heel and stood gracefully.

She raised a manicured hand and waved gently at the swarms of fans—teenage girls, teenage boys, and some who were not teenagers but much older than she, barely an adult. Her face was lit by a giant neon billboard featuring her own face alongside that of Shuichi Minamino, more commonly known as Kurama (to his fans, and everyone). The face was old, too old for her age, but this flaw was not at all visible in the light.

Instead, her fans saw creamy skin, silver, sparkling eye shadow which brightened her chocolate eyes and matched her shiny lips. Her off-the-shoulder black dress had sequins down the side and on the other side, a slit that was ridiculously high.

In fact, it was so high that the bottom of her hair almost met it. Granted, her hair, a light brown with seemingly natural blonde highlights, met the top of her hips, and not much of it was hers in the first place. She held a small purse in the hand that was not waving pompously, and her heels made her several inches taller, almost clearing six feet tall.

Her frame was thin, but not too much so (rumors were currently spreading that she was bulimic) and the tiny, centimeter-sized bulge in her stomach was promising to her fans, who screamed to their skeptical friends, "SEE? SHE'S NOT ANOREXIC!" Of course, they knew nothing of the tiny person inside the belly, now resembling nothing more than an alien life form, but what would, in several months, grow to be a baby boy (if it lived that long).

Kayko's entrance was overrun by the arrival of a white limousine which was painted with brown spots of paint resembling those of a cow. Out stepped Kazuma Kuwabara, also known as Kuwa, one of Kayko's costars, though not her favorite. This one was loud, and enjoyed attention, which detracted from her.

Kuwa himself was almost seven feet tall, and muscular; his fans, mostly girls, screamed loudly from the sidelines. He looked ridiculous in a pair of tan chaps and black jeans underneath. On both sides of his hips he wore guns (obviously fake) in holsters. His shirt was a blue button-up and over it he wore a brown leather vest. It was real leather, of course. His chin, which jutted out bravely, had the makings of a small orange goatee, and his hair, which was curly and short, was the same color.

On top of his head was a dark brown ten-gallon hat which looked ridiculous and made him pass the seven foot mark, also making him have to stoop to enter most buildings. Of course, he didn't normally wear this sort of get-up. Then again, he didn't normally attend movie premiers of films which he had costarred in. This, in fact, was his debut film.

Broadway is dark tonight.
A little bit weaker than you used to be.
Broadway is dark tonight.
See the young man sitting in the old man's bar,
Waiting for his turn to die.


Kayko glanced around surreptitiously and tried to ignore Kuwa. She was a seasoned actress, had almost four movies under her belt, and couldn't afford the bad publicity. This, though, was mostly her own ego—Kuwa, the true underdog of the mix-matched cast, was probably the most-adored of them all. The second-most adored actor arrived just after Kuwa.

Hiei, known as Hiei, exited his long, black limousine. The crowd erupted again, mostly with the screams of girls dressed in black. Hiei was the lead guitarist of a very famous rock group, Flame's Shadow, and had an extremely devoted fan base, if smaller than Kuwa's or Kayko's. The guy was barely five foot, wore tight black jeans with red Converse and a black button-up which was, ironically, unbuttoned.

He wore a red headband tied around his head, and his hair stuck up unnaturally, proving that he had enough money to waste hundreds of tubs of gel for his hair every day. His eyes were lined in black, and he wore a white tie which hung unceremoniously over his tanned abs.

Kayko's nostrils twitched and she ignored him, too. Kuwa, however, didn't. He glared at Hiei as he signed autographs for the crowd. Hiei waved a bit, and then strode near Kayko, looking moody, as usual. Then, a fourth limousine pulled up. This one was also white, and while the boy who exited looked a little like a girl, he was not.

Kurama, just under six feet tall, stood calmly by his limousine and waved to his fans. The boy wore a black tuxedo with a green tie and shiny dress shoes. He had long red hair which was soft and, in fact, his trademark. He wore a rose in his left breast pocket, and threw it out to the crowd, where girls screeched and attempted to beat each other down for it.

He smirked and walked coolly down the carpet, shaking hands and smiling at flashing cameras. He stood near Kayko and Hiei, but not too near, as Kuwa continued signing autographs and grinning madly at the crowd. He managed to get up a chant—Kuwa! Kuwa! Kuwa!

However there were girls in the crowd who had other thoughts on their minds. They began screaming Hiei! Hiei! Hiei! over the yells of Kuwa, and eventually that chant took on instead. Kuwa looked angrily around, glaring at Hiei, who was smirking, and grunted loudly.

"STOP IT!" He yelped, and pulled a gun from one of the holsters on his belt. Hiei smirked at the dinky little gun, knowing it was fake. Kuwa shrieked again because the crowd did not stop the chant. "HIEI, YOU'RE TAKING MY FANS!" Hiei only smirked, so Kuwa pulled the trigger.

Hiei was hit in the chest, the bullet impacting his body with amazing force, He flew back, blood spurting from the wound horribly, getting all over Kayko. She screamed and backed up, allowing Hiei to fall back and his eyes to flutter shut.

The cowboy kills the rock star,
And Friday night's gone too far.
The dim light hides the years on
All the faded girls.


"It's a strange scene here at the opening of Breathe Again, a new movie starring famous actors Kayko and Kurama. It appears that..."

Yusuke Urameshi, known to his fans as Yusuke Urameshi, grunted as he watched the newscaster talk on and on about that stupid movie. He shook his head groggily and ignored the television in the corner of the room. He was leaned over the counter, slouching, looking pathetic, especially since he was wearing fairly nice clothes for this part of town.

He was in a grubby little bar miles from the red carpet scene. The bar was dimly lit, and filled with empty tables and chairs. Yusuke was currently the only customer, so the bartender was cleaning cups and watching television. The bartender was a friend of Yusuke's, but not a very good friend. A good enough friend to know that Yusuke was supposedly famous, but not enough to know why or how.

In truth, Yusuke was a better actor (and had more experience) than any of the cast of Breathe Again, his costars. The question was, why was he here, in this crappy bar, instead of living it up on the red carpet with the novice actors who had fan clubs bigger than his hometown? Yusuke didn't really know himself.

Forgotten but not gone.
You drink it off your mind.
You talk about the world
Like it's some place that you've been.


The bartender, Tim, watched television while Yusuke downed cup after cup of whiskey. Eventually, the woman left the screen and a scene from the soon-to-be-released Breathe Again was played. It featured Kayko and Kurama kissing passionately, before Yusuke, Kuwa and Hiei burst into the room and began shouting. The film was emotive, dramatic, and evoking. Yusuke hated it.

Tim gave a long look at the television, then to Yusuke, then back to the television which had turned to the scene at the red carpet again. "Aren't you supposed to be there, Yusuke?" He asked quietly. Yusuke shrugged.

"Who's supposed to be anywhere? It's a free country," he mumbled, and Tim did not question him again.

Yusuke was not so arrogant that his words could quiet Tim, who was very outspoken anyway, but Tim had seen Yusuke wasting away at his bar night after night and knew when Yusuke was beyond comprehension. This was one of those times.

Yusuke, frankly, was tired of his life as a superstar. He had starred in six movies, been costar in dozens of others, and was barely nineteen years old. Plus, I'm a father, he thought forlornly.

Yeah. He was also a father. A bad father, as it turned out. He and Kayko had broken up when he found out that the fake kissing behind the cameras hadn't been so fake after all. She truly loved Kurama, and as far as Yusuke knew (or cared) he loved her back.

Well, fine, then. He knew when he wasn't wanted. And he had faced rejection before. A million casting calls, a million "don't call us, we'll call you"s. But the kid...the kid. What about the kid? Would she keep it? Could she? He had no idea. He had no way of knowing what she would do nowadays, because she was a totally different person. Fame had changed her, and not for the better, he thought.

"Ah, Tim, the world's a terrible place." Tim nodded. "People come and go and no one is the wiser. They stay and leave and stay and leave, and before you know what you've got, it's gone." Tim nodded solemnly. Though Yusuke might have been smashed, as usual, he had a point.

You see you'd love to run home,
But you know you ain't got one.
'Cause you're living in a world
That you're best forgotten 'round here.
Broadway is dark tonight.
A little bit weaker than you used to be.
Broadway is dark tonight.
See the young man sitting in the old man's bar,
Waiting for his turn to die.


Yusuke felt a sudden surge of anger, and held it in by biting his tongue. This was a common habit of his. It was natural, as was bringing a glass of something wet—something dreamy, something to turn his brain to mush—to his lips. And these days, he had a lot to swallow.

The paparazzi enjoyed following him around, ruining his reputation. Yusuke didn't care about himself, but if Kayko had that kid, it would grow up without a father, or without a real one (or a legitimate one, at the least).

The door opened, a bell above it tinkling slightly, and several men walked in. They were all old, fisherman-like and quiet. They took a booth in the back of the shop and Tim took their orders. They pointed remotely toward Yusuke and whispered amongst themselves. "That's the kid from Pocket Ace, right?"

"Yeah, but he looks older now...maybe it's his brother?"

"No, that kid didn't have a brother. I'd say he's just gotten a little tipsy."

"A little? You sure have a funny way of calling someone a drunk!"

"Shut up, Earl, he'll hear you..."

Yusuke smiled forlornly at these comments, which he could hear easily. "Young for this part of town, don't you think?" Asked one of the old men.

The others did not answer with words, and Yusuke could not see their reactions. He assumed that they had shrugged. Tim brought out the drinks of the old men, and the television kept blaring some nonsense. They were commercials. They hadn't yet shown the fate of Hiei after Kuwa's outburst. Yusuke didn't care.

You choke down all your anger.
Forget your only son.
You pray to statues when you
Sober up for fun.
Your anger don't impress me,
The world slapped in your face.
It always rains like hell on the loser's day parade.


Yusuke looked up, and saw a mirror in front of him. The whole back of the bar was reflective glass. What he saw frightened him. It was his face, of course, but it was unrecognizable. The eyes sagged, shadows under them. Wrinkles showed up on his forehead and laugh lines were also visible.

He looked so old...no, he didn't look old. He spared a glance at the old men in the back of the room. They were old, definitely, but they laughed and spoke and changed with the seasons. He looked back into the mirror and saw nothing of this.

All he saw was death. It was an odd feeling, to look at one's self and just see the inevitability of death. But that was what he saw, when he looked into the deep pits of his eyes and the frown of his mouth. There was no change here, no anything. Just static.

"Hey, Tim?" Yusuke asked, his voice hoarse. Tim nodded, acknowledging Yusuke's words. "D'you think we die because we don't change? People who don't change die? Death is really just the absence of change. If we stop changing, we die." Tim looked at him curiously.

"I'd say that's probably true. Why?" Yusuke took another drink of his glass and asked for a refill.

"No reason. I just wanted to know why I'm sitting here." Tim raised an eyebrow, and Yusuke grinned humorlessly, taking another drink.

You see you'd love to run home
But you know you ain't got one
'Cause you're living in a world
That you're best forgotten
When you're thinking you're a joke
And nobody's gonna listen to the one small point
I know they've been missing 'round here.
Broadway is dark tonight.
A little bit weaker than you used to be.
Broadway is dark tonight.
See the young man sitting in the old man's bar
Waiting for his turn to die.


"This is truly an amazing sight to behold. It seems that the cast of Breathe Again, excluding Yusuke Urameshi, has arranged a little joke on their fans!" Kuwa walked to Hiei and helped him up.

Hiei himself was smirking slightly as the crowd cheered and Kuwa bowed, glad to be of service and create some more publicity for himself. "It appears that Hiei is just fine, and that Kuwa's shooting him was only a prank!" Kayko clapped, smiling bitterly, and stood erect and unmoving, the fetus in her belly growing inch by inch, moment by moment.

You see you'd love to run home
But you know you ain't got one
'Cause you're living in a world
That you're best forgotten
When you're thinking you're a joke
And nobody's gonna listen to the one small point
I know they've been missing 'round here.
'Round here.


Kurama looked out on the crowd, and in every face he saw the guilty struggles of a man who loves the woman of another man. Each face told a story, and that story was his. Their eyes pierced into his heart and he glanced at Kayko, who did not glance back.

He wondered whether she even cared for him at all. Kuwa made a great show of bowing to his fans, and Hiei, removing the packet of fake blood from his chest, threw it to the crowd and waved arrogantly to his fans.

Kayko clapped and then waved gracefully to her fans, her face alight with the false youth that the lights bestowed upon her. Kurama looked into the night sky, wondering where God was, if He was real at all. And miles away, Yusuke Urameshi grinned and took another drink.

Broadway is dark tonight.
A little bit weaker than you used to be.
Broadway is dark tonight.
See the young man sitting in the old man's bar
Waiting for his turn to die.
Sign up to rate and review this story