Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho

Camisado

by SereneShadow 0 reviews

An accident rocks Yusuke's life, and nothing will be the same. Can he overcome it, or will this leave him in a place where he can no longer see the light? Songfic to the Panic! At the Disco song of...

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Keiko,Yusuke - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2009-08-19 - Updated: 2009-08-27 - 1859 words - Complete

0Unrated
Camisado

The IV and
Your hospital bed
This was no accident
This was a therapeutic chain of events.


Yusuke's eyes were slow to open, but the pain was not slow to rise. His entire right arm burned, and his chest did the same, ending around his belly button. After that, there was nothing.

Why can't I feel pain in my legs? He wondered numbly, and his eyes toppled open. Bright lights were assaulting them, but it was deadly silent, and he could tell he was alone.

He could hardly see, but then his eyes became less foggy, and a sea of red swam before them. It took a minute before he realized he was staring a bag of blood in the face, and that that bag of blood had a tube, and that was running into his arm. He felt faintly disgusted and slightly woozy to boot.

This is the scent of dead skin
On the linoleum floor
This is the scent of quarantine wings
In a hospital.
It's not so pleasant
And it's not so conventional
It sure as hell ain't normal
But we deal, we deal.


The question immediately rose–Why am I here? He could not remember, save a few fuzzy faces...Keiko screaming as he looked at her from her left, a blurred medic, and the sound of squealing brakes.

He could remember what he had had for breakfast yesterday (if, in fact, it was the same day he believed it was) but not how he could have possibly ended up...where was he? His brain worked very slowly, indicative of drugs, maybe. He wasn't sure. He felt sluggish and altogether moronic, as though he was drooling and not noticing. He heard nothing, save the steady beep...beep...beep of a heart monitor. Obviously, he had been in trouble. Yusuke attempted to sit up, hopefully to get a good look around, but his brain cried out in protest and he felt like falling asleep.

The anesthetic never set in
And I'm wondering where
The apathy and urgency is
That I thought I phoned in
It's not so pleasant
And it's not so conventional
It sure as hell ain't normal
But we deal, we deal.


However, Yusuke would not give up on trying to find out where he was (though he was fairly certain he was in a hospital of some sort.) Suddenly, this seemingly easy task became not only the most important thing in the world, but the most difficult. He felt as though he was chained down, especially past his waist. His legs would not move, and he could only assume he was chained down.

But why? He had managed to move only a little and so could not see most of his own body, but saw the room from a low angle–empty chairs, a monitor, a window with the shades drawn, typical hospital room. He was right, then. But why did he feel like something had gone terribly wrong?

Sit back, just sit back
Just sit back and relax
Just sit back, just sit back
Sit back and relapse again.
Can't take the kid from the fight
Take the fight from the kid
Sit back, relax
Sit back, relapse again.


"Ah, you're awake," mused the doctor as he came into Yusuke's room. Yusuke sat up immediately.

"Why am I here?" He asked abruptly. The doctor was reading from a clipboard.

"Well, that's rather unfortunate, really. Your friends tell me you were hit by a car, correct?" Yusuke could hardly remember, so he just nodded and wished the doctor would hurry up.

"What's wrong with me? I should be fine," he said nervously, and tried to move again.

His legs wouldn't budge. "Yusuke...I am very sorry to have to tell you this..." Yusuke immediately flung the sheets from his legs and saw that they were perfectly fine, if only a little pale.

"What? What is it?" The doctor cleared his throat.

"Your spine was snapped just above your hips. You're paralyzed from the waist down."

Can't take the kid from the fight
Take the fight from the kid.
Just sit back
Just sit back.
You're a regular decorated emergency
You're a regular decorated emergency.

This is the scent of dead skin
On the linoleum floor
This is the scent of quarantine wings
In a hospital
It's not so pleasant
And it's not so conventional
It sure as hell ain't normal
But we deal, we deal.


Yusuke's world shattered. At first, his world was so utterly out of control that he couldn't believe it. "No, you're just kidding me. You did something to me, and I'm fine. I'll be fine." The doctor didn't say anything. Yusuke just sat there, willing his legs to move and knowing on the inside that they would never move on their own again.[1]

Everything was falling down around him–all of his fighting, all of his powers, everything was useless now. He couldn't be a Spirit Detective anymore. He couldn't fight. He couldn't travel to the Demon World or go on missions or go to school or go to the arcade or have kids with Keiko or argue with Kuwabara or even look Hiei in the eye...

The anesthetic never set in
And I'm wondering where
The apathy and urgency is
That I thought I phoned in.
It's not so pleasant
And it's not so conventional.
It sure as hell ain't normal
But we deal, we deal.

Can't take the kid from the fight
Take the fight from the kid.
Sit back, relax.
Sit back, relapse again.
Can't take the kid from the fight
Take the fight from the kid.
Just sit back.
Just sit back.


The doctor had decided to exit the room and leave Yusuke with his thoughts. Bad move. Yusuke looked around, his emotions rising and his heart beating quicker and his mind desperately searching for a way out. He could not deal with this now, he couldn't deal with the idea that he might never walk again, that all of his life would disappear and so would his friends and everything he lived for.

In fact...without it, I have nothing to live for... Yusuke's mind screamed; he was in such pain and so unable to comprehend the giant mess he was in–Yusuke grabbed the IV in his arm and ripped out the needle. Then, he dragged it across his left wrist several times, allowing the pain to engulf his mind and the blood to flow from his arm.[2] He lay back, his mind racing and his heart thumping on the monitor...he was losing consciousness...and then...Darkness. And he welcomed it.

Sit back, sit back
Relax, relapse.
Sit back, sit back
You can take the kid out of the fight.

You're a regular decorated emergency.
The bruises and contusions will remind me what you did
When you wake.
You've earned your place atop the ICU's Hall of Fame.
Camera caught you causing a commotion on the gurney again.


"Welcome back, Yusuke. I can't believe the stunt you pulled back there." Keiko was speaking slowly, but her words were harsh to Yusuke's ear, which seemed extremely sensitive. His legs, however, did not. He came back to the living world slowly, having to be dragged there by the doctors and machinery. He was finally able to open his eyes and saw thick gauze around his wrist. He dropped it back to the bed and allowed his neck to thump down too.

"You've always been that rash, though, huh?" Keiko smiled, and his thoughts were instantly calmed by her sparkly brown eyes.

"Keiko..." His throat was dry and therefore croaky, but she found solace in it anyway.

"I'm sorry...but I can't..." He felt his stomach leaping up in his throat and causing a big ball there. But he didn't want to cry in front of her. He didn't want to appear weak to her, or anyone...

"Yusuke. It's okay to cry." Keiko's face was devoid of emotion but for her eyes. Her eyes gave away all of her fear and worry and exhaustion. Yusuke could have held himself from crying if it wasn't for the look in her eyes.

"Oh...Keiko..." he murmured, and then the tears came, flowing down his face onto the sheets.

You're a regular decorated emergency
The bruises and contusions will remind me what you did
When you wake.
You've earned your place atop the ICU's Hall of Fame
Camera caught you causing a commotion on the gurney again.

Can't take the kid from the fight
Take the fight from the kid
Sit back, relax
Sit back, relapse again.
Can't take the kid from the fight
Take the fight from the kid
Just sit back
Just sit back.


Keiko wrapped her arms around Yusuke and they cried like that together for several minutes. Then, they talked for hours. There was yelling, crying, laughing and arguing that went on, and much of the time Yusuke just felt like dying, but every time a thought like that came into his face, Keiko's chased it away.

"Keiko, I can't fight again. I'll never be able to kill demons from a wheelchair." Keiko did not answer for several minutes.

"No, probably not. But I don't care about that, I never have. They have Kuwabara and Hiei and Kurama to do their work. I think you should focus on finding a new hobby.[3] Or maybe you could focus on..."

Sit back, sit back
Relax, relapse
Sit back, sit back
You can take the kid out of the fight...


"On what?" Yusuke was honestly curious and unsure of what she was talking about.

"On us," Keiko finished, and Yusuke felt a bit better.

"Us..." The word was so foreign to him, and yet, so right. "I want to be one of the guys again." He bit his lip, and Keiko nodded, her eyes filled with understanding and love.

"I know. And we won't give up that hope...I can promise you this, Yusuke." She leaned toward him, and the sun's light hit all around the room, but especially on her, with her gorgeous chocolate hair and creamy brown eyes. "Things will get better. They always do."

The IV and
Your hospital bed.
This was no accident;
This was a therapeutic chain of events.


[1] Actually, considering how young and strong Yusuke is, there would be a fair chance of partial recovery if this happened. Sometimes the spine can regenerate if the victim isn't an adult when the injury occurs. My second cousin was paralyzed and he can walk now. The human body is such a miracle, isn't it?

[2] Perhaps this seems a little out of character, but remember that he's probably on at least one drug at this point and very confused and has just been informed that he can no longer do his very favorite pastime. Then again, Yomi fights blind, so perhaps Yusuke could fight paralyzed...

[3] I think that this is a rather insensitive statement coming from her, especially considering the fact that Yusuke's fighting isn't a "hobby," it's the only thing he's ever known, and the only thing he's ever been good at.
Sign up to rate and review this story