Categories > Original > Drama > Separation

Twenty-One

by RapunzelK 0 reviews

Holistic medicine?

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-09-11 - Updated: 2009-12-16 - 646 words

0Unrated
May 13, 1979


“He’s at Swallowhaven now?”

“He is.”

“How’s he doing?” Dr. Julian Xerxes asked over a cup of Earl Grey (cream, no sugar). His petite associate exhaled noisily and ran a hand through his hair.

The supers-only cross of hospital and sanitarium had recently passed its fortieth birthday. An institution run by supers for supers, it stood alone as the only one of its kind. Those with special abilities didn’t have to worry about keeping their secret while receiving care within those walls. The knowledgeable staff and somewhat remote location created the ideal environment in which to recover physically as well as mentally. Dr. Straussen himself could attest to this.

“As well as can be expected, I suppose,” Dr. Karl Straussen replied. “Physically he’s healthy-“

“Aside from the obvious,” Julian put in.

“- but his morale is worse than it was before he went East,” Karl continued as if the thread of words had not been broken. “He’s relapsed and I don’t know what to do for him. I’m an MD not a psychologist.”

“Has Mina had anything to say on the matter?”

Karl shook his head. “He hasn’t said anything in sessions. He won’t speak to her or anyone. It’s as if he’s given up. All he’ll say is that he’s tired.”

“Tired?”

“Yes. Something about how he wishes he could go to sleep and not have to wake up. Not an uncommon reaction for someone in his situation, but…he was doing so well…”

A non-committal “mm” was all Julian gave in the way of a reply, his focus fixed elsewhere.

“What?”

“Only thinking…” Julian mused, tapping one finger against his chin.

“About…?” Karl prompted.

“Have you heard of a Dr. James Herriot?”

“I’m afraid not.

“I didn’t think you might. He’s a veterinarian, you see.”

Karl didn’t see, and so waited for his friend to continue.

“Published his experiences as an English country vet in a series of novels. There is a particular treatment mentioned which may well benefit our young friend.”

“And that would be…?”

“Several nights- and days- unbroken rest. When confronted with animals on their last legs, Dr. Herriot gave them an exceptionally high dosage of medication that dulled the pain and allowed them to sleep peacefully. Late the following day, the animal awoke restored to its former health. The animal’s body was entirely able to heal on its own; the creature simply needed the time and peace to do so.”

Karl nodded slowly. “Do you mean to say…?”

“I’m not sure the Burnout assessment was entirely accurate. Raymond’s confrontation with his brother-in-law is proof of that. I think all he needs is a chance to really, fully, let himself heal.”

Karl gawked. “Reinduce coma?”

Julian shook his head. “It needn’t be that extreme, I don’t think. For our purposes, I believe a holiday might be more effective.”

“A vacation?” Karl echoed, bewildered.

“Precisely. The poor boy’s spent the last two years in either an isolated hospital ward or surrounded by people who were quite literally killing him with kindness. A few weeks of not being poked or prodded in one sense or another will do him good. He’s well enough to leave, even if he isn’t walking, correct?”

Karl nodded.

“Then why not contact the rest of his team? I’m sure they’d be glad to see him again. Introverted as he may seem, the boy always did better with others around him.”

Nodding, Karl had to agree. “I can’t believe I didn’t think of that myself. Then again, it’s my job to heal the body, not the spirit. I suppose I forget sometimes that the two are not mutually exclusive.”

Julian smiled. “And yet you’re married to Edith.”
Sign up to rate and review this story