Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho

Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner

by SereneShadow 0 reviews

Kili and Hiei are drifting apart, and Kurama is the one to cause the rift. Will he pursue his feelings for Kili?

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Kurama - Warnings: [!!] [X] - Published: 2009-09-13 - Updated: 2009-09-14 - 2086 words - Complete

0Unrated
Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner

Drink down that gin and kerosene
Come spit off bridges with me
Just to keep us warm.


It was probably below forty degrees outside. Kurama and Kili didn't care. They were standing on the tallest bridge in town, watching the ice cold water rush below them quickly over the rocks and around the banks of the river. Kurama smiled, his face numb and cold, as a mouthful of black and brown liquid fell from Kili's face into the rushing water.

"Awesome!" She grinned, and Kurama leaned off of the edge of the bridge to face her.

"Tell me why you wanted to come out here again?" He asked, the snow beginning to fall as Kili shivered in her giant fluffy coat.

"Because it's fun!" She giggled, catching some snow flakes with her hand. Kurama smiled, almost shy.

"And why didn't you bring Hiei?" Kili frowned, looking like a disappointed child.

"He's never any fun when it's snowing out. He gets all depressed. It's understandable, though," she sighed, and leaned on the railing watching the water below her. Kurama hesitated, then took several quick steps toward Kili and threw his arms around her, while she laughed.

"It's freezing!" She grinned, while he let his arms fall and stood next to her instead.

"Here," he smiled, and handed her the bottle of gin and kerosene.[1]

Light a match to leave me be.
Light a match to leave me be.


She poured it over the rocks below them, and then Kurama lit a match by rubbing it quickly between his thumb and forefinger. He handed it to her and she flicked it into the river, where it caught onto the kerosene and quickly caught fire, burning the liquid that floated on the surface of the river.

Kili grinned. "Better?" Asked Kurama, and she gave him a hi-five. Though their hands were both covered in thick cloth because of their mittens, Kurama felt a shiver run down his spine at the touch of her fingers on his.

I keep my jealousy close 'cause
It's all mine.
And if you say this makes you happy
Then I'm not the only one lying.


Hiei's lips left Kili's and he began walking off. Kili leaned against the school building, her coat puffing around her, and once Hiei had gone far enough away, Kurama sauntered up, trying to ignore the burning in his gut after seeing Hiei kiss Kili.

"'Sup?" Asked Kili as he approached, and he shrugged.

"So I guess you and Hiei are doing all right, then?" Kurama asked nonchalantly. Kili caught on, however, as he had never asked about her relationship with Hiei before.

"Why? You're jealous?"

She grinned, softly punching his arm. He chuckled, but did not answer at first. "I thought you might be having some trouble. With the weather and all."

He was not too far off the mark, seeing as it had snowed non-stop for the past few days. Kili seemed to falter. "Well, he has been moody. Not too much in the way of hugging," she mumbled, and the school bell rang. As they walked to class together, Kurama slung one arm around Kili's shoulders. She smiled up at him through the corner of her eyes, but he didn't seem to notice.

Keep quiet.
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a secret every day.


"Who wants popcorn?" Kili yelled, and set the large bowl on the floor next to Yusuke and Kuwabara. They instantly jumped on the corn and stuffed their faces. Kili grinned and flopped onto the bed next to Kurama, who used the remote to turn on the movie. They were going to watch Stay Alive, as they usually watched horror movie's at Kili's house on the weekends. Only this time, Hiei had decided not to come.

Kili lay on her bed next to Kurama, who was only partially disheartened that Hiei couldn't make it (in his words, he was "too busy for foolish human games").

In truth, he was excited. He was so close to Kili that he could smell her shampoo. She lay with her head at the end of her bed, on her stomach, so her face was near Yusuke's. Kurama was her opposite, sitting against the wall on the bed. He tried to focus on the movie, but couldn't help but steal a glance or two at Kili's butt.

Keep quiet.
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a secret every day.


When the office worker was stabbed with scissors, Kili screeched and flipped around so that she too had her head leaning against the wall and was sitting up next to Kurama. As the movie continued, her head began to slide, ever so slowly, onto his shoulder.

By the time Frankie Munez's character was "killed," Kili was practically laying on Kurama's lap, and when the lead character set fire to the tower, Kili's hand found Kurama's and squeezed it tightly. She glanced at Kurama, and he squeezed back.

I keep my jealousy close 'cause
It's all mine.
And if you say this makes you happy
Then I'm not the only one lying.


"So, you and Kili were getting pretty cozy last night. What happened, did she break up with Hiei?" Yusuke asked, subtle as ever. Kurama shrugged. Kuwabara laughed.

"Well I think you're over him, at least! Did you see the tent Kurama pitched last night, Yusuke?"

Kuwabara laughed more, and Kurama's face went bright red. Yusuke laughed with Kuwabara, and Kurama felt himself wanting to laugh with them. But Hiei's face came floating to his mind...only to be replaced by Kili's, smiling sweetly at him and whispering something he couldn't understand.

Several weeks later, it was the day of Christmas Eve, and everyone was gathering at Keiko's house to have a miniature Christmas. Meanwhile, Kili and Kurama met outside, on the bridge where they had spent time together so many nights ago.

Lately they had been talking more than Kili and Hiei had, and Hiei himself was becoming fairly restless. Kurama's heart jumped as he saw Kili walking toward him, but he was shaking with anticipation. Would she reject him, or would she leave Hiei for him?

Drink down that gin and kerosene
Come spit off bridges with me
Just to keep us warm.
(Just to keep us warm)
Light a match to leave me be.
Light a match to leave me be.


They walked toward each other from opposite sides of the bridge, Kili's face completely calm and unreadable. Kurama himself tried to keep his composure but felt like jumping out of his skin. "Hey," she called, and he stopped walking.

"Hello."

They were standing quite a few feet apart, but he wanted to be holding her in his arms like Hiei had for so long. "Hiei tells me not to talk to you anymore," she said quietly. He didn't answer. "But I feel like I can't do that," she continued calmly. Kurama stepped nearer.

"Why?" He asked. She took a breath.

"I don't know. Maybe it's because I don't want him to tell me what to do," she breathed, and Kurama was right in front of her now, his eyes captivating hers with their shining qualities. "Or maybe..." she continued, while Kurama stood right in front of her, "...it's because I—" Kurama put a warm palm over her mouth.

"You talk too much," he smiled, and kissed her.

Keep quiet.
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a secret every day.
Keep quiet.
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a secret every day.


It seemed to be forever that their lips were attached, their mouths suctioned together like they were vacuum-sealed. Kili's eyes closed and her arms found their way around Kurama's neck, while his were planted firmly at each of her hips.

The snow was falling again, and their cheeks, though feeling frozen, were rosy when they broke apart. Kili giggled, and brushed snow from Kurama's shoulders. He did the same to her blue parka, which matched her hair and eyes beautifully. "We can't, though," she said suddenly, and turned to face the edge of the bridge, her glossy hair blowing in the wind.

"Wha...why?" Kurama asked, indignant, and partially angry that she would kiss him so passionately—by heaven, he had not known passion until this kiss—and then refuse him.

"Hiei..." she murmured, focusing on the swiftly-moving river, and Kurama's stomach burned at the man's name—

So wear me like a locket around your throat
I'll weigh you down, I'll watch you choke.
You look so good in blue.
You look so good in blue.


and he wanted to grab Kili from behind, to wrap his fingers around her throat and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze.

To push the air from her lungs and create bruises on her neck (not unlike the hickies she sometimes had after a rough time with Hiei) and toss her body into the river that moved so fast she would be in the ocean before sunrise—

So wear me like a locket around your throat
I'll weigh you down, I'll watch you choke.
You look so good in blue.
You look so good in blue.
So wear me like a locket around your throat
I'll weigh you down, I'll watch you choke.
You look so good in blue.
You look so good in blue.


but of course he knew his anger lay not with Kili, but with Hiei. Damn him. Damn him for kissing her, damn him for marking her, damn him for claiming her. Claiming what Kurama wanted...nay, what he needed. Claiming a woman like his precious tear gems...like property.[2]

And then, hell came rising to the front of Kurama's mind, in the form of every kiss Kili and Hiei had ever shared, every grope, every breath. Hiei's arms around her, around what should have been Kurama's, and not his...Hiei's tongue in the mouth that he should have rights to, and only he...Hiei's seed in the belly of the woman Kurama wanted, wanted for his own, wanted to ravage and plant his seed in.

Keep quiet.
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a failure every day.


"Forget about Hiei!" He finally growled, as Kili stood at the bridge's railing. "He doesn't deserve you," Kurama spat, and Kili turned around. He expected anger, maybe, or hatred in her eyes. Anything other than what he saw.

What he saw confused and enlightened and aroused him...it was passion, of course, burning passion for Kurama and not for Hiei, not for the one she called hers. But besides that, there was a taint of surprise and lust. She wanted him to take her for his own, he realized. She didn't want Hiei to own her any longer; she wanted him...Kurama smiled.

Keep quiet
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a failure every day.
Keep quiet.
Nothing comes as easy as you
Can I lie in your bed all day?
I'll be your best-kept secret
And your biggest mistake.
The hand behind this pen
Relives a failure every day.


"And that was 'Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner,'" from Fall Out Boy.[3] Next up, we have some John Mayer, Nickelback, and Nelly Furtardo..." Kurama reached over and hit the Snooze button on his alarm-clock-radio, praying that he could fall back asleep.

[1] Never drink gin with kerosene! Kerosene is poisonous!

[2] What's ironic there is that Kurama is angry with Hiei for considering Kili as an object while he does the very same thing in the following sentences.

[3] I know, "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" was, unfortunately, never a single. But this is fiction! Writer's license! Plus it's a damn good song.
Sign up to rate and review this story