Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Letters Between Friends

Chapter 2

by BoxingBunny 1 review

Fire Lord Zuko exchanges letters with his friend and Ambassador, Katara, often. But as feelings and fears are disclosed, the two find out just how much can change in the time it takes for one lette...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Katara,Zuko - Published: 2009-12-14 - Updated: 2009-12-14 - 1201 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I don’t own, please don’t sue!

O-O-O-O-O-O-O

Letters Between Friends

Chapter 2

Even though she wasn’t in her element like she was in the North or South Poles, Katara loved spending time in the Earth Kingdom. The climate wasn’t as extreme and she had many friends spreading across the vast country. But she always found the Earth King to be a bit trying on her nerves. He was a nice man and she knew that he meant well, but he’d spent far too much time living in ignorance about the world around him. She knew that it was mostly due to Long Feng, but now that he was leading the Earth Kingdom on his own he had no idea how to handle to problems that were arising during the post-war reconstruction.

She had just been shown to the room that was to be hers while she stayed in the palace this time and didn’t waste any time in throwing herself onto the large, comfortable bed. Her groan was muffled by the mattress that her face was buried in when a call came from the other side of her door.

“Ambassador, a letter from the Fire Lord just arrived for you,” one of the palace servants announced.

Katara was instantly on her feet and at the door to take what the man had to offer with a smile. “Thank you very much! I’ve been waiting on this,” she said as she dismissed the young, blushing man. She rolled her eyes as she shut the door behind her.

The twenty-year-old Waterbending ambassador had grown over the years. She was no longer the girl from the small Southern Water Tribe but the woman from the prospering Southern Water Tribe and personal friend of the Fire Lord. She was doing fairly well for herself in her opinion. And the men usually appeared to think so as well.

Quickly breaking the seal on the communiqué and unrolling it, Katara read,

Ambassador Katara,

It’s very good to know that we will be able to establish trade with the Northern Tribe as we have with the Southern Tribe. Your work efforts are greatly appreciated and I can only hope that you continue to yield such results in your travels.

I will agree to the terms set for the ship’s crew and passenger guard, and I’ll be sure to have lodging prepared for Chief Arnook’s emissary. If you say that the terms for trade are agreeable for the time then I will trust your judgment on the matter because you have seen much more than I on how far the other nations are willing to trust my people during this time. That is one disadvantage to being Fire Lord; I don’t get to travel the world like I once did.

I don’t need you in the Fire Nation for anything pressing at the moment, but know that you are always welcome back when you wish to take a break in your work. While you’re traveling the Earth Kingdom, be sure to keep me updated on your locations so that I know where to reach you in case something comes up.

Now that all of that is out of the way, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the formalities I need to use around you and Aang. The two of you, as well as Sokka and Toph, are more of a family to me than those of my own blood.

Azula was making improvements for a few weeks, but recently she’s refused to speak at all. I don’t hold much hope that she returns to her old self. Then again, her old self would probably try to assassinate me and take the throne, so maybe it’s best if she stays as she is.

I’m sorry. You’re probably angry at me for saying that. Let’s move on.

Oddly enough, even though they don’t have any contact with one another, my father has also taken to silence. I haven’t gotten him to speak to me or anyone else in months. I’m starting to doubt that he even knows where my mother is anymore. It was very likely that he’s been toying with me these years. But as long as I have reason to believe that she’s alive somewhere in this world I will never stop searching for her.

On the topic of family and Mai, she’s recently told me that we’re expecting our first child. It’s still hard to tell if she gets excited about something, but when she told me she seemed softer…happier. She’s glowing, Katara. I’ve never seen her like this. She’s beautiful.

But because she’s like this, I know that there’s no way that I can tell her how nervous I am. I barely have any idea on how to be a good husband. How am I supposed to be a father to a child?! My father raised Azula and I with an iron fist and never tolerated the weakness of emotions. I don’t know how else to treat a child as their father. I only spent a small amount of time with Chief Hakoda, but he seems like the kind of father that I would want to be. He cares for his family but is still strong enough for everyone to respect.

I haven’t seen Aang in over a year, but I’ve received a few update reports. The two of you are doing incredible jobs healing the world and getting people to trust the Fire Nation again. I wish I could be the one speaking with foreign dignitaries on my country’s behalf, but I barely have time to even leave the palace grounds anymore to speak with my own people.

Sokka is another man that I’m sure will be a better father than me. You have a caring family, Katara. I can’t get this out of my mind! I don’t want my son or daughter to turn out like me or Azula. I can’t treat a child like that, but I don’t know of any other way. It’s times like this that I wish I could speak with you in person, or possibly Aang. The two of you always knew what to say to calm my nerves. Speaking of you and Aang, is he still trying to court you from around the world?

It appears that my paperwork is starting to pile up. I should get back to work. I look forward to your next report from Ba Sing Se.

May life treat you well.

Sincerely,
Fire Lord Zuko

Katara stared at the scroll with a goofy smile on her face. Zuko was going to be a daddy! She sat down at the desk provided to her and began to compose her reply immediately.

O-O-O-O-O-O-O

AN: Woo! Another chapter down! Letters are fun to write. I can picture Zuko confiding in Katara his fears of fatherhood. What do you think? Anyway, I guess I’ll see you guys next time!
Sign up to rate and review this story