Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Sports and Entertainment

by wordhammer 1 review

All sorts of fun at the Quidditch World Cup, and Albus stops by.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Ron,Tonks - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [X] - Published: 2009-12-23 - Updated: 2009-12-23 - 9462 words - Complete

4Original
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 38
: Sports and Entertainment
(Fun, dammit!)

*

24th August, 1994

Mum,
Dobby brought me to the Cup the night of the 19th, just as he had brought me Florean's invitation to work in exchange for free food, lodging and ice cream. Obviously this deal favours him, but I don't mind- it's the experiences that I came for, not the wages. I think Molly was pleased to be rid of me, truth be told. Ever since Animagus Night both Ginny and Ron have been acting strangely by her estimation, and she quickly reasoned out that it was somehow my doing. Ron has become quite a bit more thoughtful and has taken to refusing some of her snacks and treats. Ron explained to me that he was getting a low buzz from the jade ring at times, but only when Molly was giving him something on the side. Ginny's behavior can be more easily explained as excitement for the upcoming World Cup, except that Ron's description might be a more accurate assessment of the cause- Ron said that Ginny was acting very 'flighty'. I see an Animagus in the offing.
So we arrived that night. Florean greeted me with great appreciation for the help and showed me the layout of his primary stand, the tent behind it and where I would be sleeping. We chatted amiably around his campfire while he and Dobby explained with some mind-numbing detail how they were coordinating the redesign of my house. The two of them are rebuilding 106 Matchstick Court with a £80.000 budget and no guidelines other than 'it should be able to blend in with the neighborhood and I'd like a solarium'. At some point I cried 'uncle' over their incessant architectural gushings and went to bed. The next morning, I was fired.

I had walked into the breakfast area of Florean's tent with the disheveled look of rising too early from a late bedtime. Florean placed plates of eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy and hotcakes in front of me and then stood back with an expectant look.
"Not joining me? Surely you didn't go to all this effort just for me?"
"I did, actually. Eat your fill and then we'll talk."
"Florean, I can't eat if there's a conversation hanging over my head. What's the problem?"
"The problem, my friend, is that you're bad for business."
That caught me mid-chew. I slowly resumed my bacon-gnashing as Florean explained further.
"I hadn't expected this, but despite your recent debut into civilised society the general public does not trust you, and trust is a necessary component to selling ice cream. I was speaking with a fellow vendor this morning as I prepared to receive the first shipment of flavours from the store, and he apprised me that seeing you last night has made him concerned for the potential success of his own business, just by having you nearby. I'm afraid it would make my whole presence here at the World Cup a waste of money and effort if you were to stay. For this reason, and because it's my own affection for you that overrode my better reasoning to have not made the connection ahead of time, I've made you this meal. As a parting grace."
"So, I can't stay here either?"
"The effect would be the same, and I wouldn't have your assistance. Seems like that would be the most unfair arrangement for me."
"O-okay. Um, thank you for the original offer and the meal. I'll clear out before lunchtime."
After a meal and a shower, I packed up my very limited things into my rucksack and wandered away from Florean's tent by the residents' opening, so as not to be seen near the storefront.

I wandered the tent-ways for a while, trying to figure my next move. Natalia found me and boosted my mood for a bit with a kiss, but she couldn't offer me a bed in the LED-station unless I wanted to be arrested for something. We parted quickly so that she could resume her patrol. I had been strolling for another hour when I caught sight of another traveller that required a difficult conversation: Luna. I ran through several half-assembled campsites trying to intercept her unusually graceful progress until I finally had a clear view near a Greek cloak-vendor's stall.
"Luna!"
Luna stopped walking, slowly looked up into the air and asked tentatively, "H-hello?"
I caught up with her and turned her around to face me. "Luna, do you have a moment? I'd like to sit with you privately and talk."
"Oh! Holly Evans. Okay..."
Luna grabbed my hand and began leading me at a quick skip back through the tent-ways, though she kept looking furtively up into the sky as she went. Luna led us back to her family tent- a thatched hemisphere that greatly resembles a giant cocoanut, complete with stark white interior walls with shelves cut into them. Once inside she turned to me with a kind smile.
"What do you want to do with me, Holly Evans?"
"I..."
Well, that was certainly a thought-provoking question. I was struck dumb for a good minute before I came back to the original purpose of my finding her. She waited patiently with that slight smile the whole time.
"I'd... like to make friends with you, and perhaps offer some advice as your friend."
"Oh, I'd very much like to have a friend! Are you the only one available?"
"I'm... the only one I can make offers for."
"Your preposition is dangling."
"Umm... okay. Try to not let it distract you."
Luna nodded in patient compliance. I noticed that she hadn't blinked since we'd entered the tent but decided to push on before staring into her eyes became a hobby.
"Well, we last spoke on the Express to London and you mentioned some things that I wanted to clarify. Are you friends with Ginny Weasley?"
"No... no. We used to be friends but then I began to find her attractive in a rubbing way. We enjoyed each other's company somewhat until she was possessed. Since then we haven't really been close."
Luna looked a little sad at that, though I can say having a friend be possessed is as good as reason to break off a relationship as I'd ever considered. Why I was considering it at all I still ascribe to Luna, somehow.
"Ginny isn't possessed anymore."
"No, but I don't think she will be letting me give her happies again. It was a bit frustrating working around her rules, as you can imagine. Not unlike riding a bicycle using only one leg. You can do it, but it hardly seems entertaining when you know so much more is possible."
"Right. You mentioned gumdrops. Do you take them to help you think clearly?"
"No, I take them so that I can speak as poorly as everyone else. Don't you think things would be simpler if everyone always told the truth?"
She had me dumbstruck again, but I recovered in ten seconds this time. "Y'know, it will take me several days imagining such a world before I can answer that question."
"I'm sorry. I can wait if you like." Luna stood herself into a relaxed stance, closed her eyes and began to hum quietly.
"Luna, I think we can be friends but I want you to take this recommendation to heart."
Luna's whole being popped awake. "Alright!"
Time to lower the boom, sort of. "You mustn't use lies or magic to modify other people's beliefs, at least not people who have never intentionally harmed you. Convincing Ginny that what you were doing together wasn't sexual was unfair to her. Even worse than that, what you did to Hermione earlier this year was incredibly mean and selfish and it hurt both of us greatly. Using that flower on the train was almost as bad, even though your intentions were at least partially good."
"What makes you say my intentions weren't all good?" Luna seemed almost hurt the way she said that. I knew better, though.
"Because you stayed to watch."
Luna blushed and lowered her eyes while smiling widely. After a moment she took in a quick breath of air and blew it out, as if to settle her emotions from the recollection.
"Will you consider what I've said?"
"Yes, Holly Evans. I will do my best to improve my treatment of others. May we have sex now?"
This struck me as almost condescending, like she was just waiting for me to be done with my speech. I started to pace and scowl in my ire.
"What? No, Luna! I... we've only just started becoming friends. There are layers of trust which are built up over time and experience that lead two people to a point where they both agree that they want to be intimate. You've done distrustful things, so I am not likely to see you that affectionately until you've proven that you won't screw around with my mind! We'll need to spend time together doing other things that show you can be trusted and that allow us to work out whether we're going to get along."
"Like what?” she asked curiously.
"Studying, talking about our beliefs, doing favors for each other- becoming friends. When we know enough about each other that we know that each of us has the other's best interests at heart and respects our boundaries and believes in our right to make our own choices, then maybe we'll have sex. If we agree on what is intended by it."
"You won't simply accept a vow? I could promise to behave and describe exactly what I'd like to do..."
"Luna, no. I may be strange, but these are my rules for friendship. If you can't abide by them, then you really want to be friends with someone else."
Luna lost all playfulness right then. "I... no I don't. I will think about what you have said."
"Thank you, Luna."
“Holly? You should consider becoming something else for the next few days. Something dipped in chocolate.”
"Something dipped...” A smile just broke across my face at that moment. Her smile grew equally wide and happy. “Thank you, Luna!" I then reached forward, cupped my hands around her face and kissed her cheek.
Luna started to bounce and twirl around the tent like an excited House-elf, chanting in a sing-song way, “Holly is my fri-end! Holly is my fri-end! Holly is my fri-end! Holly is my fri-end! I’m get-ting diz-zy!”
"I have to go, Luna. Think about everything I've said."
"Okely-Dokely!"
I gave her dancing, bouncing silliness a last glance before leaving the Coco-tent.

Following Luna’s inspired suggestion, I used transfiguration to tint all my skin to a deep mocha colour and threw a series of Tangling jinxes on my hair to give me long red-brown dreadlocks. I wrapped a brightly-striped kerchief around my forehead to keep the dreads out of my face (and cover my scar) and suddenly I was Jodi J. (or so it says on my nametag), second cousin to Angelina Johnson, Lee Jordan or even Gwenog Jones, maybe. Wearing the goggles in Lennon-shade form helps the image, as few people get a chance to recognise my green eyes. Florean immediately re-hired me and over the last few days I've become somewhat of a local celebrity; an attractive, non-threatening vendor of frozen confections at a very popular food stand. I keep teasing people to guess my last name but I haven't lost the challenge yet because no one suspects that it doesn't start with 'J'.
At night I've been wandering between campfires, learning about all sorts of different magical traditions and cultures. Everybody's pleased to make friendly with Jodi the ice cream girl. Aside from meeting people and learning some dance moves, I've also uncovered all sorts of indiscretions occurring in and between the tents, including a few of my own. In particular, I met a French girl tonight who couldn't sit quiet about her horrid experiences both at the Cup and with English food. She started arguing with me in French about palates and portions until I shared some of the Strange Chocolate with her. From what I understand, she was not entirely human. A side effect of her enjoyment of the rare confection was that she drew a lightning bolt down from the clear sky to annihilate her family's tent.
Yeah, that was my fault. No one was really injured and I escaped during the confusion.
Natalia has taken to ambushing me during her patrols, usually when she's looking like someone else. Most folks think I'm being unjustly persecuted by 'the Man'- if they only knew how justified she was! Interestingly there seems to be very little force or criminality to all the other romping going on. It's like a wild zone has been established, but everyone knows that pushing the barriers of decency too far will ruin it for everyone. Natalia told me of a few sticky wickets her squad has had to handle, but mostly they fall into the category of 'domestic disturbances'. Natalia is very proud to be commanding her team of LEDs, and I'm quite proud of her. Following the exploding tent show, she tracked me down and brought me back to Florean's to be shackled to my camp-bed until morning.

More from the trenches tomorrow!

Love,
Holly

*

25th August, 1994

Minerva,
It's around 2 AM, but this is important. I had a dream, a nightmare, but not like any previous.
The dream starts following a massive snake as it slithers its way through a graveyard, up to an old run-down ivy-covered mansion. The snake enters the house through a broken window and proceeds without pause up a staircase until it stops mid-hallway, noticing an old man in muggle clothes crouched outside a fireplace-lit room where a conversation is taking place. The snake watches the old man and listens to the conversation within the room. One voice is coming from a wingback chair facing the fire, while the other is a round, dumpy git with patchy hair, kneeling like a servant to the chair occupant.
"Wormtail, are you certain that they both bear the scar?"
"My Lord, I only saw the girl with it. Harry Potter hasn't appeared in public until recently, but the photographs in the Prophet show him with it as well. Exactly the same!" Wormtail cowers and twitches further into a foetal hem-kissing position. A third occupant crosses into view- a thin, younger wizard with crazy eyes and a tendency to lick his lips constantly. He kneels on one knee next to Wormtail by the chair before tentatively asking a question.
"What does this (lick, lick) mean, my Lord? (lick, lick)"
"It means many things, but to you it means that either will do. When the preparations are complete, you my loyal servant must ensure that one or the other participates. Both offer unusual traits, and challenges. See that it is done!"
The younger man stands quickly and bows his head. The snake whispers a warning from the hallway, causing the old man to stiffen and then freeze in fear at the sight of the snake.
(In Parseltongue) 'Master, a spy hears from the square tunnel.'
"A moment, dear vassal. It seems Nagini has detected an eavesdropper in the hallway. Turn my chair, Wormtail, so that I may give him a proper greeting!"
Wormtail moves the chair, and now can be seen a horrific, twisted version of a double-sized yet desiccated infant with red eyes, swathed in black fabric. The Riddle-baby lifts an elongated hand carrying a bone-coloured wand. Riddle Summons the old man into the study and begins to torture him. He sifts through the mind of the codger, a World War veteran named Frank Bryce who had been acting as caretaker for this estate. Riddle then kills the terrified caretaker with a NyQuil-green spell incanted 'Avada Kedavra'. I was shocked to consciousness before I learned anything more.
So that's the Killing Curse, is it?
Please share this with the headmaster. If I can work out any more details, I'll let you know immediately. Meanwhile, I'll try to get some lemon-sour-assisted sleep.

Holly

*

25th August, 1994
7:00 AM

Holly,
Yes, that is the Killing Curse. Seeing it written in this journal has given me such shivers that I've had to add some whiskey to my morning tea. Do not bandy about those words lightly. Anyone who has heard them has either faced death or caused it.
I will relate these details to Albus as soon as I can. My only consolation in hearing of this is that Riddle does not seem to be ready to act just yet. We can only hope that this was merely an hallucination of your over-stimulated mind or perhaps a prophetic vision, and not events as they are transpiring or (worst of all) a memory of things past.
Beware, take care, and come home safely as soon as you can.

With love,
Minerva

*

25th August, 1994 lunchtime

Mum,
I'll leave when everyone else does. If something's going to happen, I'll be with my friends to face it.
Hermione was brought to the Burrow in preparation for attending the Cup a few days ago, but I was already working for Florean by then. She and the usual Weasleys caught up with me this morning, complimenting me on my excellent disguise after Hermione pointed me out to them. I asked Hermione again why she came if she doesn't like Quidditch- she reminded me that she seems to have a 'thing' for Quidditch players. (Davies, Cedric, me- it makes sense). While I went back to work, Hermione and George spent time together exploring the campgrounds, making Fred feel a bit put out until he caught up with Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet. The lot of them came to Florean's again just a short bit ago, accompanied by Angelina Johnson and Lee Jordan. Lee thought my disguise was 'banging!' but Angelina was clearly Not Amused. I think this cover identity is only going to last another few hours at this rate.

Love,
Holly

*

25th August, 1994 mid-afternoon break

Mum,
All this time I hadn't picked up on it, but Pansy Parkinson stole one of Hermione's revised designs for my goggles and her father's company made them into Omni-Oculars. They're the hit collectible of the Cup, and Hermione was greatly offended that Pansy leveraged her innovation into a money-maker for the family business. I was witness to the ensuing argument, but their row was nothing compared to my subsequent confrontation with Pansy. (I WAS trying to play nice...)

Pansy called to Hermione as we happened to pass in front of the Parkinson tent on a stroll. "Oh! Hermione, how wonderful to see you away from the drudgery of classes. Who is your... EVANS?"
"Well, I wouldn't say she's my Evans, but yes; this is Holly."
"Hello. Had any ice cream lately?"
"I'm surprised I haven't been poisoned! I am NOT surprised to see you hiding your identity to the public, however."
"Hiding? Not at all. I've really never spent much time in the sun, so this is my first decent tan."
Hermione screeched indignantly before Pansy could reply, holding up a set of Omni-Oculars. "WHAT IS THIS?!"
"I always said that I would take something in barter for helping you learn to fly. You shouldn't take it personally..."
"Well, I am! This wasn't for you! I was working on these for Holly! How dare you steal my plans!"
Pansy gave Hermione a dismissive snort. "They were ripe for the opportunity. That you couldn't see it is why you aren't profiting by it. Keep that set, if you like..."
"If I LIKE? What... how can you... who gave you the right?!"
"Hermione, I am sorry if you didn't understand this, but showing me the plans without a vow to ensure privacy was legally the same as a gift. I and my family thank you for it. This shouldn't affect our friendship..."
"Well it does!"
Hermione stormed off in tears, but I lingered to give Pansy a gimlet eye. Pansy stared back at me defiantly for a minute while I thought through the circumstances, until I came to a decision.
"Pansy, you knew Hermione would take this badly, so I'm wondering whether you really want to stay her friend at all. On the other hand, this was a valuable lesson for her. I'll see what I can do to adjust her perspective, but you should do something more to apologise if you really care for her."
"I don't need your help and I wouldn't trust you to speak well of me to Granger anyhow. Stay out of it!"
"Protest all you want, but I know you told Hermione some hard truths while I was gone, more than you had to. I think you both could use the support of this friendship."
"You... aren't threatened by me?"
"You don't like girls, or Davis wouldn't have bought a Weasley Wireless. Right now you probably don't even like sex. As long as I don't tell Hermione anything you shouldn't know, we'll work out fine. I wouldn't mind something in writing saying you won't accuse me of stealing 'your' design for my goggles, but I'm realistic enough not to expect one. Rooting for Ireland?"
Pansy looked at me strangely due to the shift in topic. "Uhh... yes."
"Good. See you at school."
"Evans! What if I was rooting for Bulgaria?"
"Fine. I just like to see people having convictions."
"So who are you supporting?"
"The French."
"They aren't playing!"
"I know. A couple of their fans look like they could really use consoling right now." I took a moment then to give a self-amused smirk to let her know I wasn't hostile. She took it the wrong way. Pansy turned to face the entrance to her family tent.
"Mother? I'm going for a walk... with a schoolmate."
Her grin at me as she turned away from her mother's mumbled consent set off my paranoia. I squinted suspiciously at her.
"Are you now?"
Pansy slinked up next to me, threading her arm through mine.
"I need protection. I understand you protect young women."
"I protect young women from undisciplined men. I offer you no protection from me. What do you want?"
Pansy started to flirt with me horribly, stroking my forearm and looking in my eyes suggestively. "I just want to walk with you, if... that's ALL that YOU want..."
I pulled Pansy back between two tents and then grabbed her around the throat. Pansy curled up somewhat, resting against a thick tent post while trying to pry my grip from her bruising neck. My focused glare grabbed her attention.
"What. Do. You. Want?"
"I... I don't... know." Pansy squirmed in my grip and began to cry, though her legs started rubbing together oddly.
"Tell the truth! Are you getting hot from me doing this?"
"I... N-n-n...yes."
"Were you attracted to girls before this year?"
"N-no, no."
I loosened my hold around her throat, allowing her to cough. "Get help. This isn't healthy. You have no reason to trust me, but you're willing to put yourself in my hands and play up the sexy? This, right after you insult the woman whose existence IS my reason to tolerate you? If I were a different sort of person, you would be raped or beaten and left like trash, teaching you only to hate everyone instead of just boys."
"I'm... s-sorry..."
"You are not! I think that you are looking for someone to punish you, because you feel you deserve it. You'll keep looking for that abuse until some right bastard teaches you to enjoy pain so much that you'll debase yourself looking for just the right kind of sadist to hurt you even more. Eventually you'll find him and he'll leave you to bleed to death in a tramp house in Brighton. Get. Help."
I released my grip completely and Pansy fell to the ground, crying and shaking. I turned to stride off but was stopped by Pansy's whine.
"H-how... how do you come up with things like that?"
I turned back and knelt in front of Pansy, my face just inches away from my blubbering victim. I pulled back my kerchief to show her the Scar.
"Every night, I have nightmares fed to me by the Dark Lord's spite, right from this little scar. I have seen what I described, because he sifted through some poor harlot's mind one day, just looking to enjoy someone else's pain. He did, she bled, he laughed, she died. Tell THAT to your friends, Pansy. Hopefully the next time a Dark Lord comes knocking we won't have so many pureblooded idiots eager to answer the door."
Her look of fearful horror made me feel ill, because somewhere deep inside my mind I could hear that bloody thorn in my skull cheering me on. At that point I stood up and stalked off, looking to catch up with Hermione, shaking my head over what I had just foolishly revealed to Pansy Parkinson.
Oh yeah. By the way- please tell the Headmaster that Riddle's thorn is getting stronger. You don't need to tell him that my Occlumency defenses are improving as well. I'll save that for a surprise party or something.

Holly


*

25th August, 1994 just after the match

Mum,

It was wonderful seeing the great variety of magical peoples all motivated by the desire to get drunk and watch people fight it out for glory and honour. By comparison, the Quidditch match was a bit boring, though we watched it start to finish for Hermione's sake. She REALLY likes Quidditch players. As I was given the time off by Florean and wanted to spend time with my mates out in the open I had countered the skin-darkening transformation. Natalia warned me that the Tangling jinxes weren't going to let go of my hair quietly, so I had my dreadlocks tied up and hidden beneath a big Cat-in-the-Hat hat. I looked a little silly but was essentially myself again and spent some funds like any other visiting fan on silly keepsakes and overpriced food in the welcome company of my friends.
Hermione, Ginny and I saved Ron from nearly killing himself when he tried jumping over the balcony rail to pursue the Bulgarian teams' dancing Veela mascots. I admonished him to try looking at the Veela with disdain so as not to be affected. When he continued to be flummoxed by their sexual antics, I pulled him back behind the crowd into a Notice-Me-Not conference. I then gave him a more potent thought to drown out his yearning by flashing my breasts with a quick zipper-charm.
"Wha... we... whuh... whoa... whaa... why'd you do that?"
"You need to focus your mind past their influence. Now that you know what they're offering, you can just distance yourself from it."
"Yeah, but you just flashed me your nubblies!"
"Ron, they're called breasts. Besides, since I got to see you in the altogether after Ginny's birthday, it only seems fair that you should get a view."
"You weren't supposed to be looking!"
"And yet you knew Tonks and I had already looked at your sister and brothers, just as you did."
"Well, yeah but they're family. Alright. I guess a little nudity between friends can't be faulted. Umm... is there a reason you aren't wearing a brassiere?"
"Ease of access. I'm periodically frisked by my favorite Auror, and we don't like to waste time while she's on the clock."
My saucy smile set Ron's mind to churning once more. We returned to the standing-room balcony and Ron found he could now resist the Veela somewhat, but then asked me for another sample of my counter-charms 'just in case'. It was cute in a foolish way.
"You could always ask Hermione."
"N-no! I... she wouldn't... I... respect her too much."
"Oh! So how come it's alright from me?"
"Well, you offered already. Plus I know you're not ever going to be interested in me, are you? This was just you teasing is all. It's almost like it were Ginny, but not actually wrong, right?"
"Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be asking me questions that your brothers won't answer for you?"
"Uhh... well I was kinda hoping you could explain a few things. I'd ask Ginny, but like I said, it'd just be wrong."
"Okay. Later, after the Cup. We'll go out to the swimming hole. You teach me to swim and I'll teach you... other things."
"Brilliant!"
That was when Hermione caught up on part of our conversation. "Ask me what, Ronald?"
"Wha... we... whuh... whoa... whaa... wasn't nothin', Hermione."
This is my role for the summer. I sell ice cream and explain sex to the misdirected. I assure you; unlike Ginny, no touching will be involved in Ron's education, although like Dudley he will be instructed through visuals and like Luna there will be an ethical framework included in the tutorial. It's my choice and I think Arthur's shirked his duty on this one. I know he favours large families but he shouldn't leave his youngest to stumble into having them.

If you missed the Prophet's sum-up, the Bulgarian Seeker named Krum (he of the tight buns and delightful scowl) caught the snitch to strategically end a losing battle against the extremely lucky and somewhat talented Irish Chaser squad, who had racked up a two hundred point lead. Basically it was the same game as when I faced Vaisey at the start of last year, only twice as fast and with an extra 100,000 cheering fanatics adding to the excitement. Bad luck for the Weasley twins, as they bet their life savings on exactly that outcome, but the piker that took the wager welshed on them by paying with Leprechaun gold. It might have been kinder for them to have fairly lost. Needless to say, I've been recruited by the Twins to help seek recompense. I don't mind the challenge, but I suspect getting money from this Bagman fellow will be similar to extracting water from stone. We'll have to catch him when he's flush and it hasn't sunk into his parched infrastructure. Sorry- I pushed that analogy way over the edge of the cliff.

Holly

*

Holly,
I listened to the game on the Wizarding Wireless, and I think you mis-characterise Mr. Krum's cowardly finale to the contest as some sort of noble sacrifice, but I'll save the Quidditch talk for when next we sit for tea.
Albus has requested that you meet together at the Burrow in a few days to discuss your recent dream and some plans he has for the coming school year. Depending on the timing, I most likely won't be able to be present for the meeting. Your previous preparations may be advisable, though I would think Albus would become suspicious if you insist on meeting by the same tree every visit.
As for your activities while at the Cup, I merely wish for you to enjoy yourself while you can and come home safely. While I do not approve of your self-appointment as a sex-education counselor, I cannot fault your intentions or (regrettably) your competence. Rather, I'd like it if you would speak to Madame Pomfrey upon your return to Hogwarts about pursuing further tutelage as her apprentice. If, after all is said and done, you could leave behind this life of intrigue and conflict to become a Healer, I would think you might find it an enjoyable career.

With love,
Minerva

*

26th August, 1994 2 AM

Mum,
Twenty four hours after my last nightmare and I have the real thing to relate. First is status: we are all fine. Florean's secondary stand was burned down but the primary was simply overrun. All the Weasleys are safe, as is Hermione. Also of note: I am not under arrest, despite Minister Fudge's high hopes to the contrary.
Our post-match evening began with s'mores around the Fortescue campfire (some Salem girls explained the formula- take two choco McVities and melt a marshmallow betwixt= sticky, nummy fun, in a family-safe way). The Weasleys were generally hanging in their tent going over the match in excruciating detail, so Hermione and Ginny joined me for the treats. Within a half-hour Florean's storytelling had captured their full attentions, but I was too excited by the crowds to sit still... or stay put. I decided to go prowling one more time. I had a nifty time watching all the revelry from the cover of invisibility. It was different as purely an observer- I wasn't Jodi J. anymore so all I could do was take an outside look at some of the people I'd met over the last week. Despite my stealth, I was once again pounced upon by Natalia just as she was finishing her shift. We ended up sleeping in the MacMillan's tent until the trouble started about two hours ago.
Natalia's badge gave her a small jolt to wake her, which woke me as well. While she quickly donned her uniform, she gave me what info she had from the report scrolling on the back of her badge.
"Hols, someone's started a panic. There's tents burning in three separate areas of the campground so they've called up everyone. Stay put, but be ready to jet for the woods, alright? I'm going to rally my squad."
"Talia, hang on." I jumped to keep her from leaving, grabbing my goggles and pushing them into her hand. "Take these, and my Firebolt. As soon as you set your squad with orders, Disillusion and get some height. Trouble from different places could mean that there's something bigger happening."
Natalia looked at me appreciatively for a moment before giving me a great snog and then promising to kick arses as she left. I spent a few minutes putting on clothes and gathering my things before arming up. Ernie MacMillan appeared from his own bedroom wearing his sleepers and a confused expression.
"What the bloody hell are you doing here?"
"Look mate, I can't take the time to explain. There's a riot. Rouse your family and head for the woods."
After shouldering my rucksack I left the tent and Disillusioned before heading back towards the Weasley's site. After sneaking around for only a few minutes I could see the rising panic of the frightened public beginning to sow chaos and destruction. Groups and individuals all seemed in a great rush to head nowhere in particular, with the only outlet for the surging crowds being the aforementioned forest to the northwest. Over the next 45 minutes the campground was destroyed by rushing people barely directed to safe pathways by Sonorous-shouting Deputies. I was moving about, trying to find the focal point of this riot when I came upon a more immediate concern. I was passing through a still-intact vendor stall when I heard children's cries that indicated that the next one was still occupied. I snuck in. Two adults were unconscious on the floor, and two of their three small children were huddled weeping in the corner, for the third was currently screaming his last breaths out while being... feasted upon by a large hairy man-like creature wearing only some pants and a medallion. The werewolf turned as I entered, dropping the boy to the ground with sinew from his arse still dragging from his jowls.
Yes, I know we're in a waning quarter. Believe me, it was a werewolf.
The hairy beast rose from his meal and sniffed the air for me as I finally snapped my brain to function again. He leapt at me so fast I can only guess that my instincts and his poor aim versus my Disillusionment kept me from being disemboweled by his claws. As it was, the bastard had knocked the ash holdout wand from my hand. I Silenced myself and then retrieved the new wand...
(I'm sorry- Florean gave me my new wand yesterday. Lignum Vitae and Basilisk eyelash, 7 1/2 inches, hard and heavy as iron. I was waiting until I returned to Hogwarts to try it out...)
Anyway, I pulled the new wand while 'Fang' stuck his claws into his mouth and dribbled spittle all over them. He was charming for about ten seconds.
"Pretty, pretty, I smell a girl, a woman! Oh yes! Greyback will make you his bitch and we can raise these pups together, yes!"
Again, it was taking me too long to unlock my brain from fear, but I finally remembered the important words "Solvo Telum Argento!", causing my new weapon to shoot silver darts at a high rate of fire. Although the first dozen were deflected by his Protego, Greyback howled and was forced to run; his feet, arms and back were inundated with the painful missiles as he scampered off. One spell, two hundred darts: I like the new toy! I'm fairly sure they would have been arrows if the wand was longer, but I think the results are what matters.
Once I was certain our predator wasn't returning, I set to bandaging up the children. I had to remove a few of the darts from their legs as well, but a few wandless numbing charms went a long way towards convincing them of my skill and honest intent. The mother and one son were dead but the father required hospital, so I sent up a 'help me' flare when things looked calm.
That's when some bloke 30 yards off shot the Dark Mark into the sky.
I think the Morsmordre is an impressive piece of propaganda. You can't say Riddle was stupid or untalented. His scat-signal does frighten the public. And me. It also seemed to frighten off the deviltry-causers as well, for moments later I was surrounded by Aurors with nothing better to do than harass a wayward witch looking for help.
First, eleven men showed up and tried to Stun me into a coma, but I had ducked so they ended up Stunning two of their own. Then another few busybodies arrived yelling to 'Stand down!', at which point I set to complaining.
"Look you sorry sods! I just sent out some sparks. The big 'More-more' firework came from over there!"
Natalia landed soon after, in time to enjoy another of my fireside chats with the Minister for Magic.
"Aha! I knew you'd be at the center of this! Barty, meet Holly Evans, the ringleader of this act of terrorism."
The Minister was joined by another older man in very conservative robes and a moustache that looked like each whisker had been measured and cut to an exact matching length. While an Auror took my new wand for testing, I waved a greeting.
"Hello. I'm innocent and these folks need healers- they were attacked by a werewolf."
"Ridiculous! It isn't the full moon! This is your depravity!"
"I'm sorry Minister, are you accusing me of being the cause of the riot or of the murder and cannibalism? The children are witnesses to the latter events, though it'd be a mercy to get their statements and have them Obliviated posthaste. As to the former, I was with Auror Tonks, here, when the trouble started."
Barty clarified, "So, you were in Auror custody?"
"No, we hadn’t brought out the cuffs yet…"
Natalia gave an unladylike (and unprofessional) 'SNORT!'. Minister Fudge jumped back to his original favourite 'damning accusation'.
"You’re willing to stand up in court and declare yourself a lesbian?"
"No, I’m willing to tell you I was spending time with an off-duty Auror while the crimes were being committed, the same Auror that intercepted their advance on my broom."
"Yeah, here's your broom, Hols."
"Thanks for not breaking it."
"You were together, talking about the game? At one in the morning?"
"It was a thrilling match, full of surprises, changes of fortune and legendary examples of skill and passion. You can't just sleep after all that. Well, maybe you could- you're old. Philosophically, I’d like to kill whoever did this because he’s waving the flag of my Mum’s murderer."
"And you're hair?"
"Oh, this? Some tyke hit me with a Tangling Jinx, no doubt from a captured wand. I'm told it's quite fashionable. The black girl at Florean's wears hers similar."
They gave back my new wand and carted off the injured father and surviving children to St. Mungo's. Minutes later another Auror team brought forth a bulb-nosed House-elf in chains.
"We've caught this elf with a wand- it shows as having been the one that cast the Dark Mark."
The Minister squinted at the nervously shivering creature "Barty... isn't that your elf?"
The elf burst into tears and wailed her innocence while crawling across the ground towards her master. "Winky does nothing but what she is being tolds! Winky only picks up the magic stick so it's not lost!"
Mr. Crouch came over unusually twitchy at that point. After a moment's rising anxiety reflected in his quickly vibrating moustache, he belched out a furious condemnation. "Winky! You... you have FAILED ME! You have dishonoured the House of Crouch! This means clothes for you..."
"Oi! I'll buy her from you."
"What?"
"My current elf can't trade with vendors. Instead of killing the little thing, sell her to me and I'll see she learns how to behave."
"Fifty Galleons."
"Forty-one, as that's what I have at hand."
"Done."
After I handed over my wages and poker winnings for the week to Mr. Barty Crouch of the Department for International Cooperation, Natalia pulled me aside.
"Hols, what are you up to? You can barely keep Dobby occupied as it is."
"Natalia, isn't forty-one Galleons worth an innocent's life?"
Natalia dragged me to a nearby tent to explain just how much she agreed with me. After the snogging, she held me while I let my defenses down to deal with the post-combat jitters. When we came out Winky was sitting there, crying her little eyes out over her 'lost Mr. Barty' while waiting for me.
(By the way, could you use an elf? I'd swear Winky thinks I'm going to eat her or something.)

About your last message; it means a lot to me that you think I'll survive these sorts of calamities long enough to have a career. I will talk to Madame Pomfrey. I'll even bring her some ice cream, as an apology for how I twisted her previous training. Let me know if she has a favourite flavor (or any allergies).
I'm going to return to the Burrow and try not to dream about... anything.

Love,
Holly

*

26th August, 1994

Mum,
Natalia was right. I couldn't untangle those damned dreadlocks, which forced me to cut my hair short. Ginny, Hermione, Winky and I had a girly afternoon recolouring it to bleached-blonde, though my red roots started to show soon after as I subconsciously sought to 'heal the damage'. Ginny lost her restraint first.
"Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa!"
"What?"
Hermione was also suppressing a giggle as she finished rubbing my head dry.
"Well, your hair..." She couldn't continue, as tears began streaming down her face and her lips clamped up to suppress the laugh.
"Oh, I know, it's a wreck, a total disaster!" I said with irritation and despair.
"No, it, well, with the bleaching bleeding from yellow to white at the tips..."
Ginny finally sucked in enough air to add to my teasing. She was holding her stomach with one arm while making a gesture with her fingers like plants sprouting. "...and the...and the...and the...and the red roots just coming through...ke hee hee hee..."
"What?"
"... plus with it cut short it's just sticking up all over..."
Ginny lost it completely. "Be he ha ha ha ha hah!"
"What?"
Hermione kept shaking her head until she couldn't stop her laughter either. "MMmmh! Mwahhahahahahahaaa!"
"WHAT?"
It was then that Mrs. Weasley came up to see what the commotion was about. She stopped in the doorway and let out a startled gasp. "Great Merlin, Holly! You look like the tip of a lit match!"
Which kicked off renewed hysterics from my two supposed friends and a suppressed giggle from Winky. They collapsed to the floor of Ginny's room and continued their bellowed laughing while Mrs. Weasley began to tear up as well. She had at least enough presence of mind to bring forth a hand mirror from her apron pocket for me to see the results.
"Thank you! Oh, hey! That's... excellent!"
"Oh, Holly dear! You actually like it this way?"
"Why not? I am, after all, the girl from Matchstick Court!"
While the rest of the household's female contingent lost their bladder control in laughter on the floor, I stood up and preened myself with the mirror in hand to their utter delight. Winky finally added her own commentary.
"Winky is hoping Mistress Holly isn't a flaming witch."
Yeah, we all lost it then.

Holly

*

Minerva,
If you Apparated all the way from Furness to Ottery-St. Catchpole just to take pictures and laugh at me, I assure you that my behavior this term will not reflect well on House Gryffindor!

At least get a decent price if you sell them to the Prophet, alright?

Holly

*

Holly,
I'm keeping these for myself, but I have alerted Mr. Creevey by owl to come to the platform prepared appropriately.
Oh, and don't bring or mention ice cream to Poppy, ever. I can't say why, just accept it as sage advice from your wise counsel. As for Winky, I'm afraid that she's your responsibility now.

With love,
Minerva

*

30th August, 1994

Minerva,
Albus stopped by to lay out the plan. In case he hasn't kept you apprised of the deeper layers, this is what I've got. If you're wondering where Newt was during the World Cup, so was I. She spent her time there wandering about as well, only catching up with me by latching onto Natalia during her last patrol, after the festivities had become a clean-up effort.

I had a lot of fun, but what happens at the Cup stays there.
Transcription: 30th August, 1994 starting 3:03 PM GST

Holly and Ronald are skinny-dipping in the Weasley swimming hole following a detailed discussion of female anatomy, aided by one of Holly's educational manuals given her by Aunt Petunia. The cold water of the pond seems to be aiding Ron's ability to not drown when Holly decides to flip ventrally out of the water to change the direction of her laps. Finally hitting the limit of his sexual frustration, Ron admonishes Holly to 'not look' as he grips the slab of slate by the south edge to pull himself out of the water. He nearly falls back in again when he turns to find Albus Dumbledore handing him his beach towel.
Ron: "Uhh... buh... whuh?"
Albus: "I believe this is yours, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if you would indulge me, I need to speak at length with Miss Evans."
Ron nods several times until his brain re-engages. He starts running off towards the Burrow, his towel caught in the briars as he runs. Holly stares after the young redhead's retreat before settling her gaze upon the Headmaster.
Holly: "Did you get a nice view, sir?"
Albus: "Not as complete as yours has been, I suspect. I like your new hairstyle. It is uniquely you."
Albus shuffles over to sit upon a rock just within the shade of the trees. Holly slogs over to the slate and hoists herself into the air, inducing the Headmaster to idly consider some of the water plants in the other direction. Holly stares at Albus for a moment and then reaches down to put on her sunglasses/Goggles. She sits down on the flat rock, reclining naked in the sunlight.
Holly: "I take it you've come by to discuss my nightmare."
Albus turns back to speak to Holly but turns away again at the sight of her sunbathing.
Albus: "Wouldn't you rather don your clothing, Miss Evans?"
Holly: "I actually enjoy sun-drying. I think YOU would rather I don some clothing, which to me suggests that you're less likely to waste time in our conversation in your discomfort. Tell me something; is it the girl-parts that make you twitchy, or the scars?"
Albus: "Miss Evans, this is inappropriate in many ways. I will retire to the Burrow until you are prepared..."
Holly: "Alright! Alright. One shrouded girl, coming up."
Holly stands up with a towel in hand, dries off the still-dripping parts and then taps her foot to switch into a lavender sundress.
Albus: "Thank you, Holly. To answer your question, I think it's the scars that disturb me the most."
Holly: "Liar. If that were true, you'd still be flinching for the ones on my arms and collar. Tell me what needs told. I'm losing patience again."
Albus: "Well first off, I'd like to say that your instincts about that dream were very good. My own sources indicate that Voldemort is closer, and growing in power."
Holly: "Riddle, sir. Tom Riddle. Anything else is pandering to his conceit."
Albus: "Interesting. All right, we shall refer to him by his Christian name, then. While the information provided does confirm what we already suspected, I believe it only revealed one other clue to what he's planning."
Holly stands patiently for a minute, waiting for Albus to continue.
Albus: "Don't you want to know what the clue might be?"
Holly: "Sure, but until you say something interesting, I'm not commenting. Save your endearing storytelling style for those who are still impressed by you, sir. What's he planning?"
Albus: "Well, this will require a bit of explanation. You see..."
Holly: "OH FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! Will you just spit it out? The sooner you tell me what you know, the more time I have to plan with it! Speak plainly, or send a letter. At least then I can make somebody else summarise things effectively."
Albus: "It is very difficult for me to work with you when you are like this, Miss Evans."
Holly: "I'm always like this! Speak up."
Albus sighs and stands up from the shaded rock.
Albus: "No, I don't think I will. I have had quite enough of your disrespect, Miss Evans. You will simply have to learn such things as they are revealed to you."
Holly reaches down to the quiver and retrieves her new wand.
Holly: "Sir, have you seen my new wand?"
Albus: "No, in point of fact. I wasn't aware you had a problem with your first one."
Holly: "I don't. The holly wand was made for Harry and so it works best for him. This one is made for me."
Albus: "Really? I shouldn't think a better match was possible. Perhaps a demonstration?"
Holly: "Sure. Should I transfigure a rock?"
Albus: "That would be an excellent choice."
Holly stands loosely next to Albus looking at his recent chair, but quickly raises the Lignum Vitae to point at the Professor.
Holly: "Confundo."
Albus' subtly-prepared Protego is overwhelmed by the force of Holly's spell, and the man is knocked backwards onto the grass. Holly advances quickly to apply the instructions for her charm.
Holly: "I'm glad that you've agreed to sign off on any Ministry warnings I get for this. I agree; this wand is an equal match for my original, and it's a good idea for separating the details about Holly versus Harry. I think you deflected my Stunning spell but felt that I might be pleased if you acted like it worked on you. You seem to be just ITCHING to tell me everything about what you believe is going to happen with me in the near future, without delay or obfuscation."
Holly ends the instructions with a downturn of the wand, offering a hand up to Albus as he shakes off the stunning effect of the Confundus Charm.
Holly: "Not bad, eh sir?"
Albus rises to standing, giving Holly a grandfatherly smile. His left hand begins to scratch at his belly idly.
Albus: "No, I see the value of carrying the two different wands. That's why I encouraged Mr. Ollivander to comply with your request. We probably should get down to brass tacks, Holly."
Holly: "As you wish, sir."
Albus: "This year at Hogwarts, we will be hosting the Tri-Wizard tournament. Representatives from Beauxbatons Academy and the Durmstrang Institute will be arriving to compete in a series of dangerous tasks to win a prize and the honour of carrying the Tri-Wizard trophy. I intend to add Harry to the competitors, as my apprentice. This will allow Harry to begin 'making an impression' as you have suggested, while not requiring his appearance as often as if he were a student. It is my intention to have Harry enroll next year as a full-time student to prepare for the OWL exams, and take a more direct hand in leading the school as a force for the Light. Originally I was hoping that Tom would stay away a few more years, but his presence in England in solid form has accelerated our schedule. I believe that Tom's instructions were for his minion to include one of you in this contest, in hopes that he might collect blood from the field in order to aid in Tom's resurrection into a fully-formed body. I haven't yet discovered which ritual might be in his plans, but this seems the most likely plot for him to follow. The competition can be brutal, but with some attention to details we can confound their efforts to collect their ingredient. All other samples of your blood have been destroyed, except the barest drop on a contract with the goblins. That wouldn't be fresh or large enough a source to suit Tom's purposes. You will need to be extra careful in the managing of your...womanly cycles, Holly."
Holly: "Understood. Did you secure a Time Turner for me, sir?"
Albus: "Regrettably, no. The Minister has been keeping a very close eye on my activities of late, and without a better overt explanation for the need, I could not bull my way through the protocols of the Department of Mysteries without his notice. I've also been quite busy in arranging for the Tournament itself. I have secured Amelia's cooperation in assigning Miss Tonks to the school for the coming year. Professor McGonagall may be able to arrange for the next candidate for the Internship program to cooperate with you in case of a dire need, but with Miss Tonks there I doubt such a need will arise. Her official assignment will be as protection detail for Harry, once his participation in the event becomes known. In the meantime, she will be visiting as part of her journeyman efforts under our new Defense instructor, the nearly-retired Senior Auror Alastor Moody."
Holly: "How much does Auror Moody know about this?"
Albus: "I have informed him as well as Amelia of the upcoming contest, Harry's participation and the need for Miss Tonks to come along. They have not been informed as to the truth about your dual nature, but take care; Auror Moody has the ability to see the invisible and even through some walls. You will have to exert special care in changing form when he is nearby. Consider it a test of your skills to keep these identities separate. If Alastor hasn't discovered the truth of the matter by the holidays, well, I should think we should make a wager of it!"
Holly: "Cool. I accept your challenge, but only if he discovers the knowledge. The bet's off if he's told by someone. Whomever loses the bet has to take Veritaserum and be interviewed by the other."
Albus: "Really, Miss Evans? Do you think I don't already know your secrets?"
Holly: "Then what would you want?"
Albus: "If I win, you shall remain in such safe harbors as I indicate, without deception or escape attempts, until you reach your majority."
Holly: "Done."
Holly and Albus shake hands, sealing the wager honourably but not magically.
Albus: "Now, isn't it so much easier for us to work together when you simply cooperate?"
Albus begins to scratch at his hip more insistently.
Holly: "It certainly is. By the way, you might want to put some lotion on that rash of yours."
Transcription ends.

I doubt I'll be able to pull something like that on him at Hogwarts, so it's a good thing I got some truth from Albus ahead of time.
See you tomorrow.

Love,
Holly

*
Sign up to rate and review this story