Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Caliginosity

Chapter Two

by Shade_Mimir 0 reviews

Harry dwells on the events from the battlefield and finds himself plagued by potentially prophetic dreams.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Andromeda Tonks, Draco, Harry, Hermione, Ron - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-04-16 - Updated: 2006-04-16 - 3967 words

0OOC
Chapter Two

Lupin's camp consisted of just that, a camp. There were a dozen or so medium sized tents separated by three larger shelters in the center. The left side of the camp housed the males while the left was reserved strictly for females. Unsurprisingly, each tent was bewitched so that the interiors were significantly larger, with ample room for bunk beds and living space. One of the tents between the two sections was a cafeteria that was far from as nice as the grand dining hall of Hogwarts. A second tent was a bathhouse, two areas sanctioned off inside for their respected sexes. The remaining structure was a medical clinic. There were two doctors on staff there, though neither had much experience in the field.

Hours earlier this camp had been quite lively. After failing to find an unoccupied set of beds, Harry and Ron both ended up in sleeping bags on the floor. Just that morning, everyone had been in excellent spirits and exceptionally friendly. At this moment the camp was almost unrecognizable. The silence was terrible and broken only by the sounds of sobs or orders dealt out in listless, monotones. Harry was sitting by himself at the end of camp, having found a half-decayed log at the edge of the clearing. Hemione was with Ron who was, Harry imagined, still waiting in the infirmary. As he had guessed, half of the wizards and witches from the camp had been killed in battle. When it came to casualties, it seemed they had broken even with the Death Eaters, which made the battle quite useless, didn't it? To Harry, it seemed all those deaths had been for nothing.

Despite all his moping about, Ron and Hermione were still safe. He should be thankful for that, right? He couldn't bring himself to be relieved, Lupin was still missing and then there was the matter of Malfoy. He recalled the previous year, when he had come across Draco crying in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Back then, he had used Sectumsempra without any clue as to what the consequences might be. On the battlefield he had known exactly what the aftereffects of using it would be and he had carried out the spell anyway. He had used the spell multiple times, all at once, and on the same target. 'I really did kill him.' Harry buried his face in his hands but had little time to beat himself up over the matter as a flurry of popping filled the air. Harry jumped to his feet, his hand shooting to his wand

"Woah Harry, stand down." Nymphadora Tonks smiled, raising her hands in mock defeat. Her hair was a dark shade of green to match the foliage around them, but Harry noticed that the color wasn't as dramatic as usual. A brown tinge to the roots told him that she must be worried about something. He knew he needn't ask what it was she was worried about, though.

"Sorry, you startled me." Harry replaced his wand, his eyes moving over two men and a rather nervous looking woman.

"You three go on." Tonks nodded to the companions flanking her. All three hurried off towards the infirmary tent as their commander stayed with Harry "They're doctors. Two are from Mungos actually. Lupin sent me an owl this morning, told me to keep an eye on things."

The relief Harry had been hoping for finally showed itself "You talked to Lupin?!" Is he all right?! Where is he?"

Tonk's smile strained slightly "He's just fine. He's just taking care of a few things but he told me he'd be back by this time tomorrow."

"What kind of things?" Harry asked warily. He didn't trust many people to tell him the whole story these days.

Tonks only shook her head "Sorry, Harry. There's no telling who's listening in on what these days."

It wasn't that Harry was angry, just growing impatient. "You mean there's no telling who's under the Imperious Curse."

"Well, that too," Tonks continued before Harry could cut in "And I can't tell you where he is either, but don't blame that on me. I'm not the secret keeper."

"But it is a base then?" If there was need for a secret keeper it had to be a base or headquarters of some sort.

Tonks nodded, though she didn't seem particularly enthused, being drilled for information like this, especially not by Harry "Where are Ron and Hermione?" she asked, clearly trying to shift the subject.

"They're fine." Harry took a step back, sitting back down on the dead log just behind him "Ron is in the clinic, but he's all right. Hermione is with him. They don't have enough room for more than one guest per patient, I'm sure."

Tonks had seemed torn between staying with Harry and following after her companions until the mention of Ron coaxed her into taking a seat as well. "What happened?"

Harry was relieved to hear that the urgent tone to her voice was genuine. At least this war hadn't changed her kind nature. "I don't know..." he admitted "He was hit by a curse, but I have no idea which. I thought..." Harry allowed his voice to trail off. The mention that he had made such a terrible mistake wasn't something he cared to explain unless absolutely necessary. He shifted the subject to an equally uncomfortable topic "Have you seen...I mean the people who were killed...did you-"

"The casualties?" Tonks offered with another weak, understanding smile. "Yeah, I helped the other Aurors make up a list of the names. We're supposed to contact the families personally, but the Ministry offered to do that for us as long as we took care of transporting the bodies. We can't spare anyone right now...and it's just as well...I don't think I could have done a job like that you know?"

Harry's patience was wearing thin. Tonks was a dear friend but he didn't feel much like provoking small talk. Of course, it wasn't as if he had anywhere to go right now "No sign of Snape?" It wasn't really a question.

"No." Nymphadora shook her head. She seemed neither disappointed nor pleased relaying this news. "We'll find him Harry, don't you worry about that."

Harry realized that he must look as terrible as he felt and promptly shook his head "It's not that...Tonks...did you see anyone you recognized?"

Common sense seemed to tell Tonks that there was something more to her young friend's question "I saw a lot of old acquaintances. Who is it you're worried about?"

"No one," Harry said grudgingly "What did you do with the Death Eaters?"

Tonks didn't appear put off in the least by Harry's present mood. Given what he must have gone through yesterday, his attitude was completely understandable "Buried them of course. There's really nothing else we can do with them. Come on Harry, out with it. Who do you want to know about? Just give me a name."

Harry supposed there was no harm in asking, aside from being terrified of the answer he might receive "Malfoy," he spat out before he could second-guess himself for asking. To his surprise, Tonks looked away.

She was working something over in that clever mind of hers. "Which Malfoy?" she asked at long last, looking back to the wizard at her side.

"Draco." Harry met her eyes and made a point to keep them linked. She wouldn't keep anything from him this time. There was no excuse to lie about this sort of thing "He was in my year at Hogwarts. I'm sure you know who he is."


"I know who he is," Tonks countered quickly, frowning now "You know, you're a right little git when you're in these moods of yours. No, I didn't see him." Harry wished he could feel relief, but he only found himself all the more confused. Fortunately Tonks wasn't finished speaking "But Lupin did tell me you did quite a number on him."

Undiluted shock was all that was coursing through Harry's veins now. Confusion and guilt could wait "What?" he breathed, his green eyes widening as those of a glittering brown hue stared him down.

Tonks glanced over her shoulder and stood. She took a step deeper into the foliage and motioned for Harry to follow. Harry didn't hesitate to succeed after her. The forest was empty and quiet, the canopy above and greenery around them gave the two all the cover they could wish for. No one would be able to see them here without giving thorough pursuit. It was no wonder she would wish to speak here. When at last she stopped she was again unspeaking. Harry studied her distant expression as she watched some far off point. He had just opened his mouth to draw her attention when she finally managed to articulate her thoughts, albeit slowly "You used...dark magic on him...right Harry?"

"It was in defense," Harry spat out hurriedly before it occurred to him that he was only making excuses for himself "I did...I thought he was going to kill Hermione...I thought he had already killed Ron."

Tonks put a hand on his shoulder. Harry could see the hunter green of her nails from the corner of his vision and the smile on her lips again. He couldn't bring himself to look at her right now. "We know Harry. Lupin told me what must have happened in his letter." Her voice was scarcely more than a whisper "Lupin took Draco with him in a side-along apparation."

Harry struggled to get a full breath "S-so he's alive?" The burden all the shame and guilt had created seemed to lessen slightly and he looked up again. Tonks' expression dropped the burden back upon him, this time from a considerable height "I killed him?" He nearly gagged on his words.

"Not exactly." Tonks gripped his shoulder in an attempt to both steady and calm him "He's not dead...but he's not in great shape either..."

That wasn't the deliverance Harry had been hoping for "...So he's dying then...?"

"Well that's just it." Tonks shrugged minutely "No one's sure. You see, it seems the Death Eaters have been employing a new defensive charm. It blocks enemy spells to some extent. The problem is that it blocks all spells preformed by anyone who isn't on their side. Well...'all' to some extent. You see it wouldn't block especially powerful hexes or...an Unforgivable Curse but /Ditany/, er, any healing magics really just don't get through. 'Guess they never expected an enemy to give them medical attention...Or they would sooner die than be a prisoner of war...I'm sure that's the way their 'Dark Lord' would have it anyway." She shook her head "I'm rambling aren't I? You see Harry, the thing is that muggle medicine is the only option left and none of us really know much about that."

Harry found it difficult not to raise his voice in protest to this logic "Can't you find a doctor then?" There were plenty of muggles who were kindred to other wizards. He was sure at least one of them had to be a doctor, or a nurse, or something of the sort.

"Do you know how much paperwork it would take for the Ministry of Magic to allow us to drag a muggle into this? The boy would be dead and rotting by the time they approved something like that...And that's if they approved it mind you." Sarcasm saturated her words as she spoke of the Ministry. Her opinion of that lot was apparently quite low presently.

Harry wasn't as quick to retort as he didn't doubt Tonks' words. That had sounded about right but regardless, someone needed to help Malfoy. His train of thought snagged there. Help Malfoy? Why? "If he does survive, what are you going to do with him?"

Tonks cringed slightly, apparently at the mention of being included in the 'you' that was letting a young boy die "He would be questioned, of course...You know about the break in Azkaban...With his father out w-"

"The Malfoys' cooperation for their son's safety." This hadn't been a question so Tonks merely nodded in confirmation as Harry toyed with the idea. After several long moments of silence, he shook his head "It just seems wrong, even for a Malfoy."

"War's wrong Harry." Tonks' tone was flat now "You can't expect the Death Eaters to play fair can you?"

Harry suddenly felt childish "No." He shifted his gaze into the distance. If Malfoy died it would be his fault. If he lived and was kept a prisoner, that would be Harry's fault as well. For all the years he and Malfoy had despised one another, Harry would have never wished this on him. The Slytherin had been many things, a bully, a rival, a drawling bastard, but when it came down to it he had been more talk than anything else. The dark arts had fascinated him or rather taking after his father had. Malfoy could say cruel things and perhaps inflict the most superficial of wounds but that was all. He deserved a sound thrashing but not this. He didn't deserve to die surrounded by strangers who not only didn't know what to do, but could care less whether he lived at all. "I probably know more about muggle medicine than anyone else there. Let me go."

Tonks actually seemed surprised by the proposal. She shook her head and opened her mouth to object when Harry interjected "It's worth a try isn't it? If there's nothing you can do for him what will it hurt if you at least let me try?"

"I don't know Harry..." Tonks' uncertainty only lasted an instant "All right...I'll have to ask Lupin. I can't apparate you there without permission. It shouldn't take too long." She took a step back towards the camp "I have to go check in with the second in command before I leave. I won't be back until tonight at the earliest so you try to get some sleep, okay?"

A nod from Harry seemed to be enough. With a quick wave she retreated into the clearing once more. Harry remained where he was several moments longer. Ron and Hermione wouldn't be happy about this, but they didn't know what had happened, did they? He was dreading breaking this to Ron, Hermione was bound to be infinitely more understanding than he would be. He might have been a wonderful friend, Harry's best mate, but sometimes he was as close minded as the Malfoys. Ron could hold a grudge that would rival the stubbornness of purebloods with the worst of self-centered complexes. There was no backing out of this, though. Harry had made up his mind as well and he could be just as obstinate, if not more so, than Ron.

With a deep breath, Harry headed back towards the camp. Tonks probably had a point; he hadn't slept at all the night before and if she took him to the base where Malfoy was being kept he might not have another chance like this for some time. Harry walked on and emerged into the clearing himself. The tent he had been in with Ron was likely to be deserted now. All its tenants were presently deceased, injured, or with a close friend. This made it something of a shock to find Ron occupying one of the bottom bunks. Hermione was seated in a comfortable looking padded chair beside the bed, having spread several books out along the edge of the mattress.

Ron was conscious and looked up as he heard footsteps "Harry," he called with a smile. Hermione closed the book in her lap and looked up as well.

Harry raised his hand in greeting and crossed the room to the lower bunk behind Hermione "How are you feeling?" he asked, taking a seat.

"Just confused." Ron appeared quite tired as well, as if he was going to slip into a deep sleep at any moment. Harry supposed this was far better than the other possible alternative right now.

"He volunteered to come here when he woke up. They needed the space. I'm watching him." Hermione stacked the book on top of the others "They said he'll be fine."

"Then you can go back to your own tent," Ron grumbled throwing his arms over his face with a groan.

"He's just embarrassed and grumpy," Hermione said dismissively, receiving another groan from Ron.

Harry smiled faintly and reached down to untie his trainers "Do they know what hex was used?" This question had been bothering him ever since he had realized that Ron was indeed alive. He listened closely as he stuffed his shoes under the bed.

"They don't know yet," Hermione said hastily. As Harry looked up she caught his eyes and shook her head in warning. There was a knowing look in her eyes that advised Harry from pursuing that subject.

"What are you reading?" Harry swallowed and pulled his legs up onto the bed, folding the pillow over.

"Some books they found on the Death Eaters." Hermione shot Ron a dirty look as he snorted and rolled over. She lowered her voice. "They had already done all the necessary investigations and I thought they could be useful to us."

She was looking for information on /Horcruces/. Was there really anything else they needed to know? "And they just gave them to you?" Harry asked skeptically, lying down on his back and staring at the bunk above.

"Of course. Well...no...Sort of." Hermione took the stack of books and placed them at her own feet "They didn't want to at first but I pointed out that they were only going to be destroyed and presently there are no wizarding laws against reference texts."

"She used four books about the legal system and your name...It took three hours..." Ron muttered into his pillow as Hermione rolled her eyes again and placed the book back in her lap.

Harry couldn't help but laugh again "Tell me if you find anything worth while. I think I'm going to try to get some sleep." He knew he should say something about Malfoy. Had Ron mentioned what had happened the night before he would have done just that, but Ron was tired and so was he "Good night." He heard two distracted 'Nights' and a softly spoken "Nox," as he began to close his eyes. "Lumos." The last thing Harry saw that evening was Hemione hunched over, concealing the lit wand and herself in one of the ratty bunk bed blankets.



Harry woke to darkness. He recalled the lights being extinguished, the dark, but not like this. It had never been this constricting. The course cotton of the pillowcase had been replaced by smooth satin and if he was in fact in his bed, he wasn't alone. There was something moving over him, more than one something. It was crawling over his legs and his chest, he felt his hair rustle slightly as another slipped past his head with an unnerving hiss. Harry froze. It was only when a flickering tongue grazed his right cheek that he lost his resolve. He jerked upward only to strike something solid "Ron! Hermione!" He called out to his friends as he beat against the wall above him. The wood shuttered and creaked but didn't budge. If anything he was only annoying his new companions. He continued kicking as he groped for his wand.

Harry had little time to discover that his wand was missing. He felt the satin cushioning he lie laid upon pitch upwards. Suddenly, Harry was standing upright. The wooden wall before him swung open and he was flung forward, hitting the ground hard. Harry scrambled onto his knees and looked back just in time to see the faint outline of a coffin skew itself into what looked to be a wardrobe. There was the clicking of a lock moving as Harry managed to get to his feet. The double doors were flung open forcibly; snakes tumbled out as a rather large wolf leapt onto the ground and ran straight for the very confused Gryffindor directly before him. Harry stumbled back, tripping and falling into a sitting position, just as the wolf veered to the right. It was only now that Harry took notice of his surroundings. It was still night but a full moon hung low and round in the sky. The light it reflected lit the battlefield where he had last seen Malfoy, the land now barren, and charred, and blood soaked.

The wolf loped into the distance, its fur was a light brown and the moonlight gave it an eerie sheen. It vanished on the horizon line but this was the least of Harry's worries. He was almost too frightened to look back to the wardrobe. A rustling there told him something else was emerging. A familiar laugh told him he wasn't going to like it and as he looked back this assumption proved true.

Ron and Hermione stepped down from the wardrobe together with all the grace of the inferi. Hermione's bushy hair suddenly seemed heavy and lank, framing a smile that held no real mirth nor warmth, nor any human characteristics at all for that matter. She and Ron seemed to be supporting one another, Ron appearing much taller than Harry remembered. They were approaching him. Common sense told him he should move away but instinct kept him seated where he was. These were his friends. These were his best friends. He extended a hand to Ron as both leaned down toward him. It gave Harry something of a start when Hermione let out pained scream and fell back, Ron following suit with a pained exclamation of his own. Blood ran from new rips in their clothing and from exposed arms. Both Ron and Hermione had been backed up to the wardrobe by the same snakes, which had fallen from it first.

Harry opened his mouth to tell them to 'stop' but both English and parseltongue had escaped him. He watched helplessly as his friends rounded the wardrobe rather than enter it again. No sooner had they vanished from sight than a brown and gray blur passed Harry by. The wolf leapt back into the wardrobe, its foremost feet slamming into the back of the cabinet and toppling it over with the excess force. A grave. The wardrobe had been perched upon the edge of a grave. Harry watched in horror as the wardrobe took everything with it. The shape of the grave widened to accommodate the wardrobe, the wolf, Ron and Hermione, even the snakes that fell below ground.

The ground itself contacted as Harry stood. As he rushed forward he saw the grave shrink in size, becoming as narrow as any regulation coffin now. "Ron...Hermione...?" he called weakly, slowing to a stop as he came to the base of the grave and peered over the side. It came in an immediate flash. The snakes, his friends, and a wooden coffin, two 'I's etched crudely into the lid. It all came in one green tinged flash before two firm, cold hands gripped his shoulders from behind.


Suddenly the hand on his shoulder wasn't quite so masculine "Harry, Harry." hissed a voice from above. Yes, definitely a female. Harry opened his eyes to a find Tonk's face a very few inches from his "Shh, Harry. We don't need to wake your friends. Time isn't on our side right now and there's none to spare for an explanation. It isn't looking good, Harry. We have to leave and now."
Sign up to rate and review this story