Categories > Original > Drama

The Cages

by Yermo 0 reviews

The second story of Council of the Abandoned.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2010-02-22 - Updated: 2010-02-22 - 1249 words

0Unrated
Chapter 1

In a small town in San Bernardino County, California, lived a group of a people who belonged to a special council. The town was known as Yermo, a town that was located 13 miles east of Barstow on I-15, just a bit south of Calico Mountain. Yermo used to be and still is the home to Calico Ghost Town. Within the town, in a small apartment complex lived three people of this ‘special’ council. A husband, a wife and a son of eight years.

The husband, who was named Yellow Nemas Sufer, worked at Upton’s Supermarket to support his family. The mother, Mickey Sufer, stayed at home with her son, cooking and cleaning for her husband. Their son, Crosser, attended the elementary school in town.

A few miles away, lived another family that was apart of the ‘special council’. The Abodes. Husband, Humble Abode, was a man who drank a lot but had a heart bigger then the amount of alcohol he consumed. His wife, Pink, was the bread winner of the house. She was a mechanic.

Together they had a daughter, a year younger then the Sufer’s son, Crosser. Her name was Dinah and often found herself going to work with her mother. The special council they apart of was called “The Council of the Abandoned”. No people were a part of this council, only abandoned buildings. Abandoned buildings weren’t only eye sores, they had powers.

Not super powers, as much Crosser wished, but the powers to change into a human being. Mickey was the newest to the council. She was a hospital, Memorial Hospital. Mickey though, had been born human.

*

“Yellow! Humble!” cried Fry frantically running down Yermo Road, panic in his eyes and arms being waved about like a mad man. “Diner! Pink!”

Yellow and Mickey, meanwhile, were asleep in their room, ignoring the frantic cries of the trailer just a few yards away from their house. But the cries they did not ignore were the cries of their young son, Crosser. Yellow and Mickey sat up as Crosser came running into their room, crying. “Mommy! Daddy!” screamed Crosser. “There’s a crazy man looking in my window!”

“Crosser, I think you just had a bad dream,” said Mickey softly. “Did you watch mommy’s horror films?”

“The man woke me up mommy!” cried Crosser stomping his feet.

Mickey rolled her eyes as she got out of bed. Yellow snickered at his wife. Crosser led his mother to his room and pointed fearfully at his window. Mickey rolled her eyes again as she got onto Crosser’s bed and pulled up the blinds.

Mickey screamed at what she saw. Yellow came running as his son joined in with his mother with the screams. “KOA! Stay away from my goddamn family or prepare to have my si-Fry!?” cried Yellow as he reached Crosser’s room.

The trailer had his face pressed against Crosser’s window. “Yellow! Yellow! We need to talk!”

“Fry! I’m not leaving my family to run off with you to Montana!” cried Yellow. “And you damn well know this is my son’s room! What are you trying to do? Scar the poor kid?”

“I don’t ever wish to see you lay with a woman like you should with me,” sighed Fry, turning his head from the Sufer’s, pain slapped across his sweet face.

“Fry, what are you doing in Yermo?” asked Mickey. “Shouldn’t you be in Ludlow? Or with Stoney?”

“Stoney’s gone!” cried Fry, falling out of view. They could hear him sobbing.

Yellow rolled his eyes as he stormed out of his house, Mickey with Crosser in her arms, followed after her long haired husband. They found Fry now near Upton’s Market, in the middle of the road, on his knees. Pink, Humble, their daughter, Diner, KOA and even Greene stood around the trailer. “Fry get out of the road,” said Mickey. “You’ll get run over.”

“What’s with all this Stoney’s gone crap, man?” asked KOA who yawned. He usually didn’t wake until well past noon.

“He’s /gone/!” cried Fry. “I don’t know how else to say that!”

“It’s called a vacation, you idiotic trailer,” sneered Yellow, throwing his fists to his hips and leaning forward.

“He’s been torn down you fool!” sobbed Fry, lashing out at Yellow. Yellow and the rest of Yermo’s eyes widened at Fry’s words. Fry continued to cry into his hands.

“Well, I’m glad that jerk’s gone,” said Pink with a hug grin. Humble elbowed her. “Do you not remember what he did to Yellow and Mickey?”

“Who will run the council now?” asked Humble, beginning to show fear. “I am glad Stoney is gone too, but what about the council?”

“Humble’s right, man,” said KOA nodding. “What will happen to us? How will we get reports of human activity?”

“Well, doesn’t my baby pie know who the next in line is?” asked Diner. Pink shuddered at those words. She still wasn’t used to the fact of her brother and Fry being a couple.

“Stoney does have a next in line, my Diner baby,” sniffed Fry looking at his boyfriend.

“Well go get the building that’s next in line and leave Yermo,” said Yellow placing his hands behind his head.

Fry shook his head. “I don’t know who it is though,” he sighed looking down at the cracked Ghost Town Road. “Stoney never showed me the ‘classified’ stuff of the council.”

“Well how much could we suffer with not having a council leader?” asked Mickey. She was so new to this council that this flew above her head.

“Well, we can’t have council meetings,” said Yellow. “And that’s how we know if any one of us is in danger of being torn down.”

“But can’t we elect someone new?” asked Mickey.

“Can you get every single abandoned building in America to a meeting here?” sneered Fry.

Yellow growled. “Don’t sneer at my wife! At least she’s trying to help! Unlike you who’d rather sit there and cry.”

“Don’t get mad at my boyfriend!” growled Diner. “He is delicate! He can’t handle situations like this!”

“Oh!” said Humble throwing his arms up into the air. “But your delicate flower can handle taking away my best friend’s powers!”

“I gave them back, didn’t I!?” cried Fry.

“After you snitched on me, you trailer!” sneered Mickey. “I hope a tornado decides to visit Ludlow!”

Fry gave her a shocked look. To an abandoned trailer, that was cold and Diner knew this. So, Diner decided to use something equally as hurtful to a building. “I hope Yellow catches fire!”

Yellow’s jaw dropped and anger began to burn in his eyes. “Hey! That’s your brother-in-law’s best friend you just insulted!” cried Pink to her brother.

Yellow’s eyes darted back and forth and her frowned. “Come on Sufers’ let’s go back home,” sneered Yellow.

“Yellow, I seriously need to let off some steam,” said Mickey. “I’m gonna take Crosser to Calico for a bit.”

Crosser clapped and giggled as Yellow whipped out his wallet and handed his wife a twenty dollar bill. Diner snickered at what he saw. Yellow’s eyes snapped at Diner. “An abandoned house living inside of a house and works for a living!” laughed Diner. “How cute.”
Sign up to rate and review this story