Categories > Original > Drama

Peace of Mind, And a Piece of my Mind.

by michelle_ellee12 1 review

Extremely personal. Let's pretend I'm a boy, kay? FUN! xD.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Published: 2010-03-22 - Updated: 2010-03-24 - 798 words

1Insightful
The boy screamed. The boy ran for God knows how long. The boy screamed and ran at the same time. After a while he felt the phlegm build up in his throat; it tasted like copper. But he wouldn't stop running, wouldn't stop screaming.OHMYGOD! He thought. NO ONE CARES! He remembered how he loved yelling those words in her face, convincing himself that it was true. Convincing himsef that she wasn't a hypocrite. The family wasn't supposed to know anything, it was none of their business, after all. Yet his mother never failed to gossip about it to other members of the family, who's business did not lie there either. The boy hated that. He hated them. He was ashamed to call half of them family. Their immaturity amused him, but only for spit seconds at a time when he thought about it.
He stopped running and walked slowly. He knew he could've been more than a few miles away from them now. He wanted to keep it that way. He didn't turn back.
The copper taste got stronger in his mouth, and he spit into his hand. Warm, red liquid spilled into his palm, and he coughed, wiping has hand on his jeans. The boy didn't care. He just pressed on and blocked everything else out. He thought of his cousins. He felt sorry for them. He knew there were other families out there worse than his, but the boy felt his family was no exception. They were just as fucked up as every other family in the world. He hated getting caught up in the middle of everything he wasn't meant to. He hated watching his family systematically murder itself.
He stopped and stared up at the liquor store standing tall and mighty in front of his face. His uncle's words suddenly flowed through his mind. Alcohol does the trick. It was like there was a video playing in his head that was constantly on Stop, Rewind, Play, Stop, Rewind, Play. He couldn't stop it. Alcohol does the trick. Alcohol does the trick. Alcohol does the trick.
He screamed again, shaking inside his shoes. He scared the phrase out of his mind and picked up a rock, throwing it against the liquor store window. He missed completely, but he ran again, faster, anyway. He would be stronger than his uncle, than any other man in his family. He would not fall victim to alcohol, he decided. He would not fall victim to drugs and booze, he decided. He would be a real man, he decided. He wouldn't need a crutch, something his family had influence over him with for years. He wouldn't make stupid decisions.
He wouldn't go back.
No, the boy would go back. He knew he had to. But he wouldn't listen to a word. He wouldn't believe a word. He would let his mother gossip, he would let them try and buy him into their thoughts and ideas, but he would know in his heart that he'd be independant from them completely. The only person he would live for would be himself. And once he was old enough, he would move out and start a new, fresh lifestyle. He would live the life his cousins wouldn't be able to, the one his elders missed out on.
But no matter what he did, he would never let himself forget. Remembering kept him motivated, kept him hungry for the change he deserved.
And, as he looked up at the night stars, for the first time in a long while, he smiled a real, genuine, meaningful smile. He heaved and coughed and spat as his throat stopped bleeding and eventually healed to normailty again. A gust of wind tousled his hair, and he walked back towards the liquor store. He walked into the convenience store next to it and bought a bottle of water. He twisted the cap and chugged, the feeling of the cool liquid running down his throat better than any alcohol could provide. Finally ready, he turned on his heels and headed back home, as the sun began to rise, signaling a new day.
But it signaled so much more than that.
X.x.X.x.X.
Author's Note: This'll be quick. If anyone took the time to read this, then you deserve to know that this is extremely personal in the way that this is exactly how I feel about my family. Recently they've started some beef that I'd rather not discuss, and it got rather out of hand. This is my way of dealing. I hope you all don't let anyone but yourself influence you or make decisions for you. You're writing your own life story, and you're writing in pen.
And i'm deep. Yes, I am. =D
xoxo, Michelle.
Sign up to rate and review this story