Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 1

by starlightmint 2 reviews

Continuing adventures of Zanessa.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-04-21 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 739 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the HSM characters or anything. Furthermore, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in plot and character.

Author note: Cripes, here's my very first fanfic. I like the behind the scenes HSM stories and wanted to try my own. Please read and review, I'd love your thoughts on it. Oh and if I've made any mistakes of course let me know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The start of something new..."

They'd done the scene five times now, but Vanessa still felt an electric thrill each time they ran through it. It was a good thing that Gabriella was supposed to look excited at this point--as Kenny Ortega had been lecturing her about--because she couldn't help feeling swept away. Her heart beat faster every time Zac moved in closer, closer, staring deep into her eyes as they finished the song off. It wasn't Troy she was seeing at that point: it was Zac.

Zac. Who she had known for all of five weeks, and every day she had fallen for him deeper and deeper. At the auditions, the casting directors had paired them up, and she remembered that same thrill racing through her when she saw those blue eyes smiling at her. He was funny, charming, genuine--and a really talented actor. It wasn't a coincidence that they'd flown through the auditions together. Playing a girl falling in love was a breeze, with him by her side.

"OK, cut, that's a wrap!" Kenny's voice sounded tinny through the megaphone. He flashed a thumbs up from behind the camera. "You guys just get better and better each time. That's it for today." He walked off, falling quickly into conversation with a crew member.

The kids around the stage dropped their dance moves and filtered off toward the craft services tables, laughs punctuating their excited chatter. Suddenly, it was just the two of them left onstage. The Christmas lights twinkled around them, making the cavernous ski lodge--a redecorated steak restaurant--seem intimate. They looked at each other and smiled.

"Nice work there today," said Zac. "I knew they hired you for a reason."

She laughed. He could be so goofy sometimes. "Well, someone has to make the movie look good. I mean, I know you're trying, but..."

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh, so that's what you think?"

"Yeah, you know..." She tossed him a teasing glance and put her microphone back in the stand. Her palms felt sweaty. How can he make me so nervous? No guy has ever done this to me. "You know, my shoulders are getting really tired. It's rough carrying you through the scenes all the time."

"Oh, you are so going to get it." He ran toward her, laughing, and she jumped off the stage, squealing. She hit the front door, pushed it, and ran out into the restaurant lobby. But hitting the door meant slowing down-enough for Zac to catch up. She felt his arms catch her around the waist, and suddenly she was swinging up into the air, her back pressed tightly to him.

"And look who's getting carried now," he said into her ear. She closed her eyes and felt the gentle pressure of his arms around her waist-they were so close.

Then suddenly, she felt him start to tickle her. She kicked out, laughing uncontrollably.

"Stop, stop!"

"Yeah, you both might want to stop already. We don't want to destroy your wardrobe if we need to reshoot here." An assistant director looked down at them disapprovingly.

"Oh... right. Sorry," said Zac. He put Vanessa down, both of them still smiling. The AD shot them another look and pushed past into the restaurant.

Zac feigned a disapproving look and nudged her. "You know, you've really got to take this whole movie process seriously. You never think about your wardrobe, Vanessa."

She laughed again. "Efron, you are such a fool." Heading out to the costume trailer parked nearby, she called impulsively behind her. "Let's get changed and get out of here." Her heart jumped as the rest of the words came out. "Maybe we could grab some dinner, or something."

Please say yes. Please say yes.

She looked back, and saw him leaning against the doorframe, grinning widely.

"With you, I'd go anywhere," he called.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author note: OK, it's short, but I am going to go somewhere with this, I promise.
Sign up to rate and review this story