Categories > Original > Romance

Honesty

by everywhereXOXnowhere 1 review

A short story about two unfaithful lovers.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2010-05-12 - Updated: 2010-05-13 - 583 words - Complete

0Unrated
"I've have it with you!"

"The feeling's mutual, sweetheart!"

Brian groaned and slammed the door just before the one-of-a-kind vase shattered against it. I whimpered and clutched at my hairline as I fell into the all-too-familiar fetal position and rocked back and forth to the beat of my own heart.

It wasn't long before there was a knock at the door, and the person on the other side didn't even wait for an answer before barging in.

"Have another issue, darling?" The man said, looking down at my pathetic figure.

"Shut up," I snapped.

"Oh, sweet, sweet Grace. Didn't I tell you this was going to happen again?"

I didn't want to agree with him. He'd told me the exact same thing only two days before...

Which was only about the thirteenth time he'd said it.

"Shall we sit and chat about it?"

"William, I don't even remember what happened this time!" I yelled.

I heard the chips of porcelain crackle under his feet and he chuckled, "Looks like it was pretty bad."

"I lost my temper," I growled, "Which you will soon experience if you don't get out of my apartment this instant!"

"But Grace, you and I both know that that's not really what you want." I swear, he enjoyed taunting me when I was like this.

"I'm not that shallow," I muttered to myself, "I'm better than that."

"Gracie, of course you are. You just don't know how to control yourself."

I felt a tear roll down my cheek and buried my head in my knees. William quickly came over to console me.

"Aww, it's OK. He'll come back, you know he will."

"What if he doesn't? What if he doesn't come back, and I'm left to a life of suffering, knowing that had I just not started that one argument-"

One of us cut me off with our lips. It was never clear who did it. Not once in the thirteenth times I'd been carried to Brian's and my bedroom like this was it clear. We both just knew that it happened, and that's all there was to it.

The next morning, William and I awoke to a rough knock at the door. It never surprised me. He usually left in such a huff that he'd grab the only set of car keys that didn't possess the key to the apartment.

I got out of bed and wrapped a bathrobe around my naked body before answering the door. I was met by Brian's downcast face.

I sighed exasperatedly and inquired, "Who was she?"

He hesitated for a moment, "Rebecca."

I nodded sullenly and pulled him inside to sit on the couch.

"Gracie, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I let it happen again. It's just... I was so worked up about us that I just needed to forget about everything. I swear to God, I was drunk off my ass and it meant nothing."

I looked past him for a moment, watching William sneak out the door, fully clothed. I nodded slowly and returned my gaze to him, "It's alright. I've told you before, I care more that you told me about it than the fact that you did it."

He sobbed gratefully and pulled me into a hug. With a kiss on the cheek, he thanked me.

"I'm just so sorry I'm not as loyal as you are. You deserve so much more than this."

"Aww, Bri, no I don't," I cooed. You deserve someone as honest as yourself.
Sign up to rate and review this story