Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Misconceptions of a hero

Surprises.

by InuKag

Sango and Kagome Share conversations at the springs as they try to figure out if what Sango thinks is true... but will the outcome be something neither of them expected?

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Humor, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Kirara, Koga, Miroku, Naraku, Rin, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2006-04-23 - Updated: 2006-04-24 - 3370 words

?Blocked
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sango lingered behind with Kagome as they walked to the well.

"Kagome, um... about that thing that I told you..."

"Don't worry, I wont let anything slip, and I will get that thing for you... just be patient okay? I promise I will be back in a week at most. Just sit tight until I can get back."

"Okay... thank you Kago-"

"Hey you comin'? We don't have all day here Kagome!" Inuyasha barked at her. She laughed and they both ran to catch up to the guys that were standing near the well's mouth.

"So okay, I guess then I will be back in a few days... Inuyasha... no coming to get me please." She looked at him with her eyes squinted, arms crossed.

"Fine! I won't ... I won't." He hesitated. And as much as he said it, she knew he wouldn't listen... he never did. She flashed him a smile and said goodbye.



On the other side... she climbed out and into the old shrine. I am home... time to go to the store. She thought. She knew she couldn't say anything to anyone, but how was she supposed to get a pregnancy kit unnoticed? Maybe I should tell my mother it is for Sango... but then, what will she think about where I am going... unsupervised all the time... she would never let me go back. She knew that her mother would wonder what she was doing home but, she had to get her cloths cleaned, she needed to discard the bloodied undergarment... she needed to get supplies.

She wandered from the shrine into the house.

"I'm home everyone!" She yelled out. When she received no reply, Kagome walked up the stairs to her bathroom. A bath would be nice about now... she thought. She ran the water and undressed, filling the tub with bubble bath and soothing crystals. She was careful to lock the bathroom door before slipping into the warmed sudsy water.

A half an hour passed by the time she finished with her bath and had gotten dressed in clean attire. She packed up some clean clothes so that she would not forget to later, and then walked downstairs. Scanning the house on her way, she realized that no one had returned home yet. Where is everyone? She thought. Oh well I suppose they went out for the day. She was going to leave a note stating that she was back for the week and that she had to go out for a while just in case they came back, but she decided against it. Perhaps I will just get the test, and go back. Inuyasha won't have to worry that way, and Sango won't have to wait. Making her mind up, Kagome went to the kitchen to gather some food for her return. Then, she took some money, and her knapsack then hopped on her bike, heading downtown... certainly no one would know her there.

When she finally found a pharmacy, she locked her bike up in front of the store and walked in...carefully and nervously looking around her. She made her way down each aisle examining the shelves for the kit that she desired. At last, her eye detected a few of them on one of the shelves. Picking one up, she examined the Kanji, reading carefully. When she was satisfied in knowing that she had found one that contained two tests, (just in case the first one didn't work. She didn't know how to use one of these, Sango certainly didn't.) and gave simple results, she made her way to the checker.

"It's for my neighbor... she couldn't get to the store at the moment." She said uneasy at the clerk's odd look. He just nodded and scanned the test.

"1,000 yen even miss." He mumbled to Kagome. She fished the small coins from her pocket, laying them on the counter in front of the man. When she was finished purchasing from the pharmacy, she stuft the box into her knapsack and mounted her bike. Heading home. There's step one Kagome... you got them... now you just have to get back to the shrine and pray that grandfather or mother don't see you.


As she drove the bike up the gravel drive, careful to slip by unnoticed. It was starting to get dark outside and she knew that they were probably home. To her surprise she actually made it back to the well, but as she looked into the opening, she decided she couldn't go back just yet... she was so unsure herself, perhaps a couple of days was in order. No Kagome, you need to do this... and get this over with. Sango is waiting. Without a second thought, Kagome grabbed her bag from the basket of the bicycle and leaped into the old well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



She was surprised to see that Miroku was yet again slumped along the side of the well when she pulled herself up.

"Kagome! You are back quite early; I thought that you would at least be gone a day or a week at most." He was nervous she could tell... but why?

"Yea well, I decided that it wasn't as necessary as I thought... A friend told me that the test had been canceled and that if I was still under the weather then, I didn't have to worry."

"Under the weather? But Lady Kagome, you're not sick... are you?"

"Oh no no no Miroku, ha-ha, my grandfather, has this silly habit of telling everyone that I have a/ horrible /disease as my excuses for absence at school." She set her knapsack down and slumped against the well beside Miroku. "Why are you here moping all alone?" He just sat quiet. Something was on his mind, she could tell but she knew that Miroku wasn't too eager to share all the events of his life with her or anyone else for that matter. After all it took him forever to be able to spit out what he truly felt about Sango.

"Nothing Lady Kagome, nothing to worry yourself with at present. Did anyone know that you were coming back tonight?" He turned his attention away from his hands and turned his head to Kagome.

"Not a soul. I just figured why not since... I mean, I didn't have anything to do there and... I didn't want Inuyasha or Shippou to get antsy."

"Yea, we all know how irritable Inuyasha becomes when you aren't here. He was starting to get a bit angry and annoyed that you were gone already." Miroku let out a sigh as though he had something pressing on his mind, she didn't pry knowing that he didn't have any intentions of telling her anyway; it would only make for an uncomfortable conversation.

"So...when were you planning on returning to the village?" She quizzed him.

"I suppose that now is as good a time as any." Kagome rose, as did he and went for her bag. Seeing her struggle, Miroku offered to carry it for her. "If you require some assistance..." She cut him off with a quick no and snatched her bag from his reaching hand.

"Really Miroku I am fine. It isn't that heavy at all...I can handle it." She smiled at him. As they began to tread the path back Miroku grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"Can I ask you something Kagome?" She nodded curiously awaiting his inquiry. "And I hope you know that by asking I am not intending to pry but, Inuyasha and you have been acting rather strange the past day and I was only wondering...what exactly is going on?" She tried to contain her composure but her flesh betrayed her as her cheeks turned a rosy color.

"Nothing Miroku, we just had some time to talk when we were in the cave. That's all, is that all you wanted to know?" He looked down at his feet trying to figure out how to ask without sounding too over eager or suspicious.

"Yes actually," He replied looking back up to her. "I've been contemplating asking... since you and Sango are women, and women do talk to one another... I ponder if maybe ... if she has said anything to you about what is bothering her. I know it's something, but... I can't quite put my mind to what exactly could be wrong." His eyes were probing... pleading for an answer stricken with worry and love. Poor guy Kagome thought to herself.

"She is fine Miroku don't you worry. I promise that it's nothing to be concerned about, I guess everyone has been acting a bit crazy as of late." She flashed him a sad smile and he chuckled.

"You know Kagome, you are right. Perhaps I am overreacting. Could you do me a favor?" He paused.

"Sure can what do you ask of me?"

"Don't say anything to Sango about this please. If indeed there truly isn't anything going on as you say, well... I would really rather her not know that I was worrying about nothing."

"This conversation NEVER happened Miroku. My lips are sealed." He didn't understand what 'lips are sealed' meant but... he really didn't understand most of the terminology that Kagome used so he just waved it off. They continued walking towards the village.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Kagome..." Inuyasha muttered perking up in the tall tree smelling the air. I smell you Kagome... I know I do, my nose is not wrong. He made a landing on the dirt from the tree and carefully took in the air to be sure of the scent. It was hers all right... though, there was something different... something he could quite place... her smell had somehow changed. His eyes focused the dark path ahead of him until he could make out two shadows coming towards him. It was Miroku and Kagome. They came closer and nearly collided with Inuyasha.

"Kagome, um... you're back so soon... I thought you were going to be gone longer?" There was a tone in his voice that Kagome caught. He sounded anxious and happy, excited and yet as if he were trying to hide that with a rude remark.

"Yeah... I didn't have a test after all... Heh..." She nervously continued her slow pace towards Kaede's village.

"You seem a bit angry... are you mad at me?" He scratched at his ears in utter confusion.

"Angry? No... what makes you think such things Inuyasha?" She turned to him and he stopped walking.

"Uh guys... I think I am going to go on ahead of you guys okay? I have to apologize to a certain woman who could undoubtedly kick my ass. Pardon the language." He snickered and rubbed the back of his neck quickly moving on in front of the stalled couple.

"You just ... you seem mad at me. I'm sorry for acting the way I did when you left, I kinda felt out of sorts. I kept sensing that you were nervous about something. Are you sure you are okay?" His hand reached out to her, gently sweeping across her arm. His voice seemed softer than it usually had been, she noticed it had been ever since the night in the cave.

"Just worried, I am however a bit relieved to find I didn't have to stay long. I miss you when I leave." She paused before quickly adding, "Plus those dumb tests are a pain." She saw a cocky grin form on his lips.

"You miss me eh?" He grabbed her waist and pulled her close to him. Kagome just giggled and playfully nudged him away.

"Don't let it get to your big head Inuyasha." He looked at her perturbed in protest and grabbed at his head.

"It isn't /that /big Kagome, what the fuck are you talking about?" The smile returned to his face knowing that she was simply trying to pick at him. "I missed you too though." They picked up a slow pace and continued their walk. "Why else do you think I get so impatient and come through the well to find you?"

"Because you want some more ramen?" she snipped sarcastically, laughing softly. Finally, they reached the village only to see Miroku sitting on a log in front of the embers that used to be a fire. Sango must still be angry. She thought to herself, quickly remembering the test in her bag.

"Oh!" she shouted out. Startling Inuyasha.

"What is it Kagome?" He asked with worry written on his face.

"Nothing, I just really need to talk to Sango..." she moved in close to Inuyasha. "Hey, keep Miroku company, okay? I promise to tell you what is happening later... I just... I just need you to make sure that we aren't disturbed okay?" She whispered into his ear. He had that confused look on his face again.

"But Kago-" She cut him off by a mere look... and Inuyasha nodded in understanding. Walking over to the monk, sadly slumped on the log.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Kagome slowly pushed the sliding door on the hut open.

"Sango? Where are you?" She scanned the room for any signs of her friend.

"I'm here Kagome." She paused. "Hey, wait a minute what are you doing back so soon?" Kagome moved over to Sango and sat on the wood floor beside her, shoving her hand into her backpack. She fumbled inside the sack until she found the box she was looking for. When she pulled it from the bag, Sango moved closer to examine it. "What's this?"

"Lets go to the spring okay? I'll explain everything." Kagome stood, and walked to the door once again sliding it open. Following suit, Sango tailed her friend out to the spring. After explaining everything to Sango, Kagome started to walk away in order to give her some privacy.

"Wait... Kagome... would you show me? I am still a bit confused." She knew that Sango was scared. Kagome knew that she would be getting her period within the next few days so to calm her slightly, she pulled out the second test and demonstrated for her; peeing on the stick and setting it aside. When Sango finished taking her test, she laid hers on the opposite rock as to not get the two confused. They had to wait thirty minutes for the results.

"So, Sango can I ask you what Miroku did?" She looked up from her hands.

"What do you mean Kagome?"

"Well, he was a bit ... out of it when I came back through. I found him slumped against the well. So... what did he do this time? I mean... we all know that he probably did /something/." Sango looked embarrassed.

"No, heh... um I think... my nerves are just getting to me. I yelled at him and then just started ignoring him. I know... he thinks I am angry with him and... well I don't want him to think that but, I just... I'm just so scared!" She threw her arms around Kagome and cried. "What am I going to do if this device you brought tells me that I am going to have a baby? What will happen with him and I?"

"I'm always here for you Sango... you know that!" She ran her hands through her friend's hair trying to calm her down. "Don't worry about it okay? Miroku won't be upset with you, god girl... if anything he will be excited. He loves you so much."

"But this is the worst timing Kagome! It's too dangerous."

"I know that, but sometimes life doesn't have the greatest timing. We just have to adjust our lives to what happens. Plans normally don't play out the way we want them to. But... Miroku is a great guy, he's going to love you forever and you know that he won't give your child anything less than the unconditional love he has inside. You know how much he wants to have children with you. You have to promise me something Sango... I know it's going to be hard but, if it's positive... meaning if you are pregnant, you must let him know. You can't hide this just because you don't want any special attention." Sango looked terrified but shook her head in agreement.

"I promise." She wiped her tears from her cheeks with her fist and sniffled. "Is it time yet?" Kagome looked at the watch on her wrist. She grabbed Sango's arm and pulled her back to the spring.

"A simple dash means no, and a cross means yes." Sango walked over to the device and Kagome walked over to hers to discard it. Before she reached it, Sango let out a squeal.

"I'm not! Kagome! I'm not going to have a baby!" She was jumping up and down; Kagome had never seen her friend so relieved and she let out a slight laugh picking up the bogus test that she had taken. Much to her own surprise, she glanced down at it to see a plus sign. Kagome froze, dropping the pregnancy test from her hand; her heart was pounding so loudly she thought it would rip away from her chest. In a shocked daze, she lost her balance and fell to the grass. Sango rushed to her side. "KAGOME! Are you okay? What happened?" Kagome just sat there, without a word she pointed to the stick that lay in the grass beside her. Sango picked it up and looked at it, letting out a gasp. "Oh my god." She whispered, dropping to her knees as well and hugging Kagome. Finally, the initial shock wore down and Kagome was able to find her voice.

"I... I'm... but... how could this /happen/? I'm only 18!" Sango rubbed her friend's back and tried to reason with her. When the tears stopped falling, Sango looked at Kagome.

"Are you going to tell him?" Kagome pulled her knees to her chest and let out a sigh.

"What choice do I have Sango? It's definitely his baby, and he has every right to know. Besides, I can't hide it forever. I'm ... I'm just worried."

"About his reaction?" Kagome nodded. They both knew how deeply he loved Kagome. They also both realized how protective he was over her. "Kagome, what are you going to do then?"

"What exactly do you mean? I told you ... I have to tell him."

"No, I mean... now that you are going to have his baby, you are physically tied to Inuyasha... so..."

"You wanna know if I am going to leave after this ends don't you... I wish I could honestly tell you. It was difficult to think about before, now... well, now I have more to consider. This baby is going to be a miko, as well as hanyou, and I can't exactly take it home to the future... people will not only look down on me for being so young, they are going to question the child if it looks different. Plus, I mean... what about Inuyasha? You know?" Sango nodded sympathetically she could tell. "Oh Sango... Here there I was, merely seconds ago telling you that everything would be okay... and now... I know exactly what was racing through your head." She leaned onto Sango's shoulder.

"I'm here Kagome... Do you want me to come with you to tell him? Or... would you rather go it alone? You know I am here for you. You are after all my best friend."

"I know, but... I think this is something I need to do on my own. No interruptions. Could you... Could you make sure of that?" She knowingly looked at Kagome.

"I'll make sure that Shippo doesn't interrupt. I need to speak to Miroku anyways. I acted like a total... bitch.... To him and I really ought to apologize.... Here, let me help you up." Sango stood and reached down for Kagome's hand, pulling her to her feet.

As they made their way back, Kagome's thoughts were racing. How am I going to do this? Things are complicated as it is... She knew that there was now an element that couldn't be avoided. She had to tell him. How on earth am I going to pull this one off?



Sign up to rate and review this story