Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Afterlife

Through the Door

by TheChimera 2 reviews

"Your time is up, Harry James Potter. It is time to move on, from this world, and into the next. Remember what you have lost, but do not dwell on it. Now is your time of joy."

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2010-05-30 - Updated: 2010-06-01 - 861 words

0Cliche
Time's Up
It's cold and dark. I can feel wind upon my face, but nothing else. Not even the ground. Just wind. My body feels powerful and the aches and pains that I have come to associate with life are gone.
Suddenly, there's a bright white light, making it impossible to see. I cover my eyes with my hand. The light doesn't seem to have any definitive source. Where am I? How did I get here? Have I been kidnapped? These thoughts echo in my head. No answer comes to me. Strangely enough though, I find that I can't bring myself to care.
The wind is still there, but it's gotten stronger, and carries a scent of grass and fresh air with it. I sigh. The smell is strangely comforting, and it seems to invigorate me. I stand up, even though there doesn't seem to be anything to stand on, and let my eyes adjust to the light. The first thing that I see is a tree. Not a small, wimpy tree that you sometimes see in people's yards, but a huge tree, like one in a forest. The leaves are beautiful shades of yellow and orange, and they are fluttering down to the ground, or the whiteness anyway, seeming to disappear as soon as they make contact with it.
Something compels me to go over to the tree. It's not a strong feeling, but it's there. Deciding that no harm can come of it, I obey the feeling.
As I get closer to the tree, I notice a man sitting at the base of it chewing a piece of grass in between his teeth. Where he got the grass from I have no clue. The man is of average height, and average build. He has brown hair, and is wearing what looks to be jeans and a white t-shirt. He seems to project a sense of carelessness.
He looks up at me, and I start as I get a look at his eyes. They're a very bright yellow, almost glowing, and they reek of power. I stand there and stare at him, and he does the same to me. Finally, he breaks the silence.
"Hello, Harry James Potter." I don't find it strange that he knows my name. Why shouldn't he?
"Hello." I reply. There's another silence before I gather up the courage to ask him a question.
"Where am I?" The man chuckles, sounding slightly creepy, but I manage to suppress a shiver.
"Where do you think you are, Harry?" Confused a little, I look around, trying to imagine where I could possibly be. A flash of something pops up in my head, and I blurt it out.
"Heaven?" The man cocks his head at me as if confused.
"Perhaps." I crane my neck to look up at the tree that towers above me, and notice that all of the leaves have fallen off, leaving only a skeleton behind.
"So I am dead then." A sense of relief floods through me. My personal demons are no more, if I'm dead. The man nods his head at me.
"Where is everyone?"
"On the other side." He says simply. I'm starting to get annoyed with his short answers, but I crush the emotion ruthlessly.
"How can I get there?"
"You just need the key." He smiles, revealing shockingly white teeth, and pulls a small, golden key from his pocket.
"A key? What could I possibly use the key on?" I ask.
"Why, a door of course." He tosses the key at me, and I grab it out of the air, years of training kicking in. The weight is cool and comforting in my hand, and I grip it tightly, as if afraid of losing it.
"There aren't any doors though." I point out. The man grins again and points to my left. I look and see a nondescript white door standing in the middle of the... whiteness. Surprised that I hadn't seen it earlier, I walk over to it, examining it. Indeed, there is a lock on the door, and I look down at the key in my hand, wondering whether I should unlock it. Finally reaching a decision, I move my hand to insert the key, but pause. Turning my head back towards the man, I ask one final question.
"Who are you?" The man doesn't say anything, but he looks amused. Annoyed, I repeat the question.
"You can call me Janus, but you won't ever see me again, so it doesn't really matter. Goodbye Harry James Potter." The name rings a bell in the back of my head, but I can't remember where I heard it.
"Goodbye, Janus." He nods his head at me, and suddenly disappears. I blink, and shake my head, but he really has disappeared.
Turning back to the door, I stick the key in, an turn it. There's a soft clicking noise, and the door swings open. Beyond it, I can only see the white that makes up the rest of the world, but I know it's not the same white. I smile, and resign myself to fate.
And then I step through the door.
Sign up to rate and review this story