Categories > Original > Drama

Morality of a Monster

by marimba_boy4 0 reviews

A short story of what could have happened in Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein when the creature visits the doctor on his wedding night.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2010-06-03 - Updated: 2010-06-03 - 1486 words - Complete

0Unrated
Morality of a Monster

Ever so slowly he crept through the house, stealthy as a feline. He had promised this, but was there really means to justify it? This had happened all before… He had already stolen the lives of two others. The overwhelming need to feel joy and to love was destroying him and now it would destroy others! But why? Why should others have to pay for the sins of another? Should they really be stricken down from this world because of Frankenstein’s refusal to make him a mate? The answer simply had to be yes. Frankenstein should have no right to live out a joyful life with his wife if the monster did not. The mad doctor owed his creation another to live his so called life with, and if he wouldn’t fulfill this then he would pay! One would wonder how the monster would accomplish this... he had already stolen Frankenstein’s brother and best friend. He had vowed to be there on the twisted doctor’s wedding night, so of course the doctor would assume the monster meant to steal the doctor’s own life. But no… that would of course be too typical. He would end the life of another tonight. He would destroy Frankenstein’s bride!
Slowly he stole through the house to the room of the bride, not one specimen within earshot would be raised from its dreamy slumber. This would be easy, too easy! He approached the bedroom door where the bride would be laying. Deliberate in his steps, the monster eased the door open. Of course! The fool of a Frankenstein had instructed the woman to stay in the house with naught but herself for the night! He had anticipated the monster’s appearance to be to him. In trying to protect his spouse he had placed her directly in harm’s way! This made everything simpler for the beast. For now all he had to do was walk in and do the deed and be done with it. Of course, seeing the shock on Frankenstein’s face would have been delightful indeed for a beast such as he.
But then there suddenly rose out of silence a faint knocking. It was coming from a window on the side of the room. Considering his next move the monster stood still. To investigate the source of the knocking was really the only option. The knocking continued still, but louder now! The monster crept forward still, and still the knocking continued. Closer and closer the monster came to the window and louder and louder the knocking became! Ever closer the monster came until he was so near he was starting to reach out to grab the curtain. He moved his hand so slowly through the air closer and closer to the curtain. He was so incredibly close and finally, the very tip of his monstrous finger touched the curtain. The knocking ceased. Disturbed by the silence the monster drew his hand back from the window. The knocking started up again. The monster slowly moved his hand towards the curtain once again. The knocking persisted until the very split second the monster’s fingertip grazed the curtain. The monster firmly grabbed hold of the curtain, ready to rip it from its spot on the wall. He was done with these games! Whoever or whatever was on the other side of that window would feel his wrath! He ripped the curtain away from its place ready to destroy whatever was there and he froze solid at the sight he laid eyes on. It was none other than the mad doctor himself! The creator of the monster’s miserable half-life was standing in the window but a scarce foot away from his creation! Frankenstein calmly opened the window and stepped in as the monster backed away.
“So, I see you have decided to fulfill your promise,” said the doctor. “I had no doubts against it”. At the sound of the doctors voice his bride rose out of her sleep.
“Victor, what is the meaning of this?!” screamed Elizabeth as she beheld the work of her husband’s own hands. “Who, or what, is this monster and what is it doing in our house?!”
“Elizabeth, allow me to explain,” Frankenstein stated calmly. “This being is the work of mine own hands. I brought this monster onto Earth with my own methods. Driven by my lust for fame and fortune I did terrible things in the process of bringing it to life.”
“But Victor, this is madness!” said Elizabeth in shock. “You mean to say that you have created life? That is a sheer impossibility!”
“No my wife, it isn’t an impossibility,” stated Frankenstein. “The proof is standing right before you. Out of my creation has come the death of those dear to me.”
“So it ki-“ started Elizabeth.
“Yes!” cried Frankenstein. “It is responsible, no; I am responsible for the deaths of William and Clerval! And it will do the same to you!”
“But why?!” exclaimed Elizabeth in horror.
“Because of your foolish husband’s denial to create another being like me for me to share my so called life with,” spat the monster.
“My God! It speaks!” cried Elizabeth.
“Of course I speak!” said the monster. “Your husband didn’t do too horribly when he made me. Possibly he’s not a complete waste of a human being. But it doesn’t matter; I am still going to end your lives tonight.”
“I had no part in your creation! Why would you kill me?” said Elizabeth.
“If I do not deserve a life with a possibility of happiness, then why does your husband?” rationalized the monster.
“He just made a mistake! He could be forgiven!” cried Elizabeth.
“He made the mistake and he will pay the consequence!” roared the monster.
“What of your own transgressions? You certainly have not been perfect in your short time on Earth. You have murdered twice and plan to again! Why should you not die for your mistakes?!” yelled Frankenstein.
“Because by creating the sinner you created the sin,” said the monster. “You should be held responsible for the deaths!”
“No! I didn’t kill my brother and my best friend!” yelled Frankenstein as he lunged towards the monster. The monster easily evaded the doctor.
“You really think you can attack me?” asked the monster. “You made a mistake when you made me bigger, faster, and stronger than yourself. Of course you never saw a situation where you would have to fight me! You were too delusional with your God-complex!” Frankenstein turned around, desperate for something to fight off the monster with. The monster grabbed Frankenstein around the neck single-handedly and threw him against the wall.
“You wouldn’t fulfill my wish and now you will pay the price!” roared the monster as he approached his creator.
“NO!” screamed Elizabeth as she sprinted towards the beast. She desperately started hitting every inch of the monster’s deformed body, trying to stop him.
“I don’t want you anymore!” yelled the monster. “I only want to destroy this horrible waste of space!”
“You can’t have him!” exclaimed Elizabeth. “I don’t care what he did! You will not take my husband from me!
“He is a mad man!” yelled the monster. “Why do you care so much about him?”
“Because I love him!” said Elizabeth. “Don’t you understand that? I don’t want to live without him. Don’t you know what it’s like to be alone?”
The monster paused, contemplating this notion. He did know what it was like to be alone. That was all he had ever known. The closest thing he had ever had to a family or friends ran from him in fright. Could he really forgive Frankenstein of his transgressions and let him live his life in peace? It was then that the monster discovered something new… a new feeling. He discovered compassion. Even after his terrible experiences, he could feel for this woman; Even if she was married to the man who was the very source of his hate.
“I now realize why you jumped to defend your husband,” said the monster. “It was love that drove you to action, something I have been forced to live without. I must find it within myself to forgive my creator for what he has done. I must let you two live your life in happiness together.
“I can’t believe this. Thank you for our lives,” said Frankenstein.
“But what of you?” asked Elizabeth. “What will you do with your life?”
“I am going to end it. Always remember this. Always remember to not seek out fame and fortune. The powerful rise is for the weak at heart.” And so the story ends, with a monster gaining morality and a newlywed couple gaining their lives.
The End
Sign up to rate and review this story