Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Magma

Eruption 55

by Mikari 0 reviews

Eruption 55: Peaceful Times

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Zuko - Published: 2010-06-26 - Updated: 2010-06-26 - 2077 words - Complete

0Unrated
The prince's name is Tenzuh because Toph wanted him to have her initial and it also ends with h for Toph and Iroh and Ten as in Lu Ten (in honor of Iroh's son since he treated Zuko like a son), the zu is for Zuko. It was based on the word "tetsu" which means peace, among other alternative meanings, in Japanese. Kaze means wind, Tsuki means moon and Aoru means fan. Now without further ado, enjoy the final tale of Magma.

Magma

Volcano III: Lava

Eruption 55: Peaceful Times

It had been ten years since Zuko and Toph got married and nine years since the birth of their son, Tenzuh. The little prince had black hair just as his parents did and many agreed his face was the exact image of Zuko when he was that age. His eyes were quite different; a rare color for the Fire Nation, the young prince had green eyes of a particularly bright shade, like the finest emerald, though they seemed to become a unusual shade of pale nearing gold when the sun shone directly on his face, going back to deep emerald as he went indoors. Many times the little boy caught palace workers curiously looking at his face and never truly understood their fascination.

Tenzuh was loved by all those around him, the workers of the palace and the guards were quite fond of the little prince who was always friendly towards all those he met. He grew up in an era of peace in which Aang, whom he regarded as an uncle, constantly traveled the world spreading the message of peace and prosperity through harmony and respect.

The Avatar's son was a good friend of the fire prince and always had interesting stories to tell about the places he visited with his parents. When Kaze needed a little break from the travels, but his father was needed somewhere for a speech or to resolve a minor dispute, Kaze would stay in the South Pole with his uncle Sokka and aunt Suki and their twins, a girl, Tsuki and a boy, Aoru.

Many times, when the three children were together, the fire prince would be taken to visit so their next generation group would be complete; they all also visited the Fire Nation often, something Tenzuh looked forward to. The little prince lived a peaceful life, the story of the previous war feeling as if it war a distance legend of the past.

xoxox xox xoxox

It was a warm day at the start of summer when Tenzuh went to the inner yard of the royal palace where there was a small pond with turtle-ducks, it was nice to sit under the shade of the nearby tree until his instructor came looking for him to take him back to his studies. Today Iroh was there with a cup of tea in his hands, "hi grandpa," the young prince smiled, his grandfather was always kind and funny.

"Hello there Ten, care to join me for a cup of tea?" The old man lifted the tea pot resting beside him and set his own cup down to pick up an extra cup and pour tea into it.

"Thanks," Tenzuh sat down next to Iroh and observed that there were actually two teapots, his grandfather used his own fire-bending abilities to prepare the tea so no additional equipment was needed. This could only mean one thing, Iroh was expecting him. Tenzuh recognized the pale yellow shade of the tea immediately, this particular kind was too sweet for Iroh's tastes but children often loved it and the little prince was no exception. He drank it all up, glad that it was warm but not too hot, albeit being aligned with fire, he liked the heat of tea and summer, it never bothered him and he never quite understood why his mother sometimes said summer in the Fire Nation was much too hot.

On the bright side, if a big heat wave came, she might persuade his father that it was time to visit the South Pole. Tenzuh liked the South Pole, albeit he did not like the cold at all. Even so, the trip would be worth it to see his friends again and maybe have some sea prune stew. His parents had decided it would be quite beneficial to him and perhaps to the future of the entire Fire Nation if he was exposed to many cultures from a young age, thus while certain people in their group could hardly stomach sea prune stew, Tenzuh and the other children enjoyed it. The dish was available in the royal kitchen as well as in international restaurants in town, but no one else could make sea prune stew like Katara.

"Would you like some more?" Iroh loved to see the look of satisfaction that came from drinking delicious tea. Tenzuh reminded him so much of Zuko, young innocent and with that same instinct to help people that had ultimately shaped Zuko's destiny.

"Yes, please!" Tenzuh held out his cup and Iroh tried to pour more sweet tea into it, but nothing came from the tea pot, "is it all gone?"

Iroh lifted the teapot's lid and saw a lonely yellow drop inside, certainly not enough for another cup, "I'm afraid so, would you like to come with me to the market to get more tea leaves?" Though he could easily have whatever he wanted delivered to him at the palace, Iroh preferred to go out among the people and personally choose the tea leaves he would use.

Tenzuh knew his teacher should be figuring out where he was right about now, he always went to same place anyway, and the little prince didn't feel like hitting the books again just yet, "yes, let's go!" He greatly enjoyed going out of the palace, though as a precaution he was told never to do so alone. Albeit the people of the Fire Nation generally liked the royal family, there were a bitter few who stubbornly remained displeased, still favoring the previous Fire Lord, Ozai.

xoxox xox xoxox

The Fire Nation market was buzzing with activity; people soon took note of the royals strolling down the street, looking curiously and respectfully while opening a path for them on the busy streets. With the establishment of peace in the world for the past decade, commerce had evolved greatly and it was no longer as rare as it used to be to see foreign merchants selling their goods in the public market place. It was a an area that always seemed to be filled with noise regardless of how early or how late it was, a sea of color flowed through the streets, quite different from the dominant shades of red seen years prior.

"Cabbages! Fresh cabbages of the greatest quality!"

"Sea prunes, imported straight from the Southern Water Tribe! Sea prunes!"

"Roasted candy apples! Get your candy apples, roasted to your taste, right here!"

Among the multitude of voices, Iroh and Tenzuh made it to a little shop in corner, humble in appearance but carrying quite a variety of tea leaves. "Welcome, it's good to see you again," the old man minding the shop was a member of the Order of the White Lotus and a friend of Iroh of several years. They began to talk about tea, recipes and Pai-Sho, as they always got carried away with such things.

Tenzuh did not understand some of the odd names of leaves and plants that were being mentioned and though he could remember and repeat some of them; he would not know what he was referring to. He knew the basics of Pai-Sho though, Iroh had taught him, saying the boy had talent for it. For now, the young prince entertained himself in looking out the window of the shop at the passing crowd outside, people sometimes waved at him and he would wave back.

A hooded figure stopped next to the window where the prince was, passing so close that Tenzuh was taken by surprise. He caught a glimpse at her face, she was a woman whom looked familiar, though the young prince was not sure why, as he could not place where he had seen her before. She smiled kindly though her golden eyes were a little frightening for some unknown reason. She lifted her hand under her black hooded cloak, a hint of the dark red fabric of her long sleeve becoming visible as she raised her index finger to her lips in a sign of silence or perhaps secrecy.

The prince did not understand, though there was noise all around at least he was quiet. In split second her motions were complete, tiny sparks of lighting shone on her finger and seeing the surprised look on the prince's face, she went away.

Tenzuh had seen lightning before and was fascinated by it. The first time he saw lightning was in the sky during a storm, he was much younger then and the sound of thunder frightened him. When the sky lit up, he yelped and clung to his mother who was sitting next to him, she was not fond of lightning either, though she found it annoying and noisy rather than scary. "It's okay, there's nothing to be afraid of," Toph had soothed.

"But what if it hits us? What if it comes through the ceiling and makes a hole and hits us?" The little four year old Tenzuh had worried.

Zuko had spanned out of his daze then, watching the lightning and remembering his attempts to master it in the past, it took a long time until he did, but he could now produce it at will. "It's alright, if lightning comes towards us, I can make it go away." Tenzuh had never seen anyone achieve such a thing, but he believed his father and felt safe.

It was at the age of seven when the young prince saw lightning being made. He had trained with his father before in the art of fire-bending and he had seen his father and mother train in fire-bending and earth-bending respectively, but that time Zuko did not know he was being watched and showed a little more of his power than he intended. Tenzuh had inquired about how to create lightning, though Zuko insisted that he was too young for that, but agreed, after continuous insistence from his son, that he would show him one day, when he was older.

Tenzuh was nine now, but apparently that was still not old enough. He tried to create lightning by himself, but only came up with more fire. He was good at fire-bending and he knew all the stances and motions of earth bending, applying them to his own element along with various other techniques he had learned from his extended non-biological family. Even so, he wondered when and if he would be able to make lightning, he had asked Iroh about it too, who told him to be patient, but ultimately accepted the request for a little demonstration, which the young prince watched in awe.

Since he had not witnessed anyone else use lightning, Tenzuh assumed that only the royal family could, but that lady, albeit insistently familiar, was not a relative as far as he knew. No one had ever specified that only royal could bend lightning and looking back on it, the prince thought it was a silly assumption, he had seen plenty of people not connected to royalty who were quite powerful. This opened up a whole new world of possibilities if he had more people from whom to seek information.

"I have everything we need to make a lot of delicious tea!" Iroh's voice got Tenzuh out of his thoughts, "are you ready to head back? Your teacher must be looking for you by now; we wouldn't want her to worry, right?"

Tenzuh pouted a little, but took a deep breath and agreed, "okay, I'll go back and study."

"Let's get some roasted candy apples on the way," Iroh exited the shop, smiling at Tenzuh's cheerful agreement and they walked back to the booth selling roasted candy apples they had seen on the way. This was exactly how Iroh imagined a peaceful retirement would be, spending his days drinking tea, playing Pai-Sho, amusing his grandchild and sharing treats, he wished that the peace would last forever.

To be Continued

Disclaimer, I don't own Avatar.
Sign up to rate and review this story