Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

Obsessed

by La-Dee-Da 1 review

A man, part of a team exploring a new planet, finds something he never should have.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Horror,Sci-fi - Published: 2010-07-01 - Updated: 2010-07-02 - 926 words

0Unrated
My first story. Please rate and review.

I looked at the mountains in amazement, then back at my colleagues, wide-eyed and open-mouthed. This was planet 215S-DT? This lush, colorful, awe-inspiring…


“Ya gonna start catchin’ flies wit’ tha’ mouth o’ yours,” came a voice from behind and I jumped in surprise. I turned to our Transver engineer and glared.

He just shrugged in response and said, “Jus’ lettin’ ya know it’s time to go.”

I looked around and noticed the big, lunking mass of machinery we traveled here in, formally called a Transver, was empty. I scurried out of my seat and scampered to the open door, filled to the brim with excitement and stepped out.

I – really me, myself – was part of the first Earth Research Team to travel this planet and that day we were exploring the vast mountain ranges.

Guy, our boss, was leading us up to the top of one of the gigantic mountains when something caught my eye. It was a dark green sphere about the height and width of my Labrador, Spoffy, back home.

I called to Guy and suggested that we stop for a bit and collect samples. He may have been listening to me, but he may have just stopped because of the fact he was practically on the ground panting with exhaustion.

Our group started roaming the general vicinity and I headed over to see that strange green sphere. For some reason, as I walked over, I kept glancing around and checking if anyone saw me or spotted the sphere. It was probably one of the strangest feelings in my life. Having the urge to protect, hoard, safeguard what was just essentially an abnormally colored rock.

I picked up the object carefully as it was unusually light and seemingly delicate and carried it to the Transver. Guy looked at me a little strangely but I figured it didn’t matter.

Our group stayed at the strange planet, which we later renamed Hera, for two years. The rock became something of a safety blanket for me over that time. I knew that however long I was gone, it would always be there for me when I came back.

Is it weird to have feelings like that for a sphere?

~~~~~~

The research group continued to explore the planet and, a few months after we had first landed here, we finally spotted the thing, which had probably ravaged Hera for hundreds, maybe millions, of years and that had kept any other intelligent life from thriving.

We named it Grostequer but there was no name for the immense fear it inspired in all that heard its roar or saw its monstrous face.

It had hundreds of large pointy teeth, in rows, like a shark’s. Twenty eyes that would lock onto you and only you, and when you looked back into those soulless black eyes, you knew you were going to die. It was terrible and ferocious, but only the size of a small pony. I was one of the lucky ones, only glimpsing it once. Some of our group disappeared after they went on an expedition. We assumed they were eaten as not one of them was heard from again.

Our stay on Hera was coming to an end though, and it would soon be time to head home. I think our whole group had a case of homesickness that could only be cured with the dirty, filthy air of Earth’s atmosphere.

When it was finally time to load up the pods for home, I stuck my lucky sphere into the “FRAGILE” compartment of the storage pod and headed into my own. Soon, we’d be back on Earth.

When we had arrived, I was designated to study what we had found on the planet. I was ecstatic when I found out. I wouldn’t have to let anyone else touch my rock!
…Why do I feel this way?

Today would be my first day on the job. I was so excited as I walked into our posh new lab. Everything was shiny and cutting edge but I had eyes for only my sphere that was located in the back of the room. As I practically worshipped the thing, it wasn’t too unusual, but for once I didn’t have that feeling of protectiveness. It was like being woken from a trance and I stared at the thing uncomprehendingly.

Why would I ever be attached to this thing? It was just an abnormally round rock. I was almost positive we had one of those on Earth somewhere and even if we didn’t, who cared?
And, as I stared at the sphere in disgust, wondering why I spent so much time with it, it began to move. And rock. And crack.

My team was now looking at it too from their newly-assigned work places and somebody, I don’t know who and for all I know, it could’ve been me, screamed as a great rumbling rang throughout the room and the sphere crumbled around a dog-sized blob.

I crept up to it slowly but quickly backed up again as the blob unfurled to uncover a Grostequer. A hideous thing that was covered in goo and as I watched it slowly lick its dagger-like teeth with a pointed, black and brown splotched tongue, I knew there was no way I’d make it out of this lab alive.

No way anyone would make it out of this building in any thing but tiny pieces.




What have I done?
Sign up to rate and review this story