Categories > Original > Fantasy

The Treaty

by Toxic-Ashes 0 reviews

One young man volunteers to scout out the annual treaty between the surrounding vampire clans when things take a turn in the opposite direction.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-07-08 - Updated: 2010-07-09 - 1130 words

0Unrated
Ok, so I know my spacing is off and things might look a bit weird, but bare with me. I just got a new computer installed and it's lacking Microsoft Word so editing is a bit shaky at the moment. I tried spacing paragraphs to give them some visible separation. I'll try to fix things when i get the chance. I always look forward to feedback ^_^
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The ground shook with the excessive thundering of paws on the frozen earth. From his standpoint amongst the trees he could see them floating past, a sea of multi colored furs all blended together as one. Clearly their destination was the Silvek Castle not more than a few miles north of where he stood. Careful to remain downwind he raced through the towering pines after the wolves.

The ground was littered with fallen leaves too soft to utter a sound as he, they, ran. The full moon cast a silver glow over the surrounding forest illuminating the many pairs of eyes before him. He stopped to watch the entry of the wolves into the castle as he hid behind a withering oak, dying before its very walls. His long ebony hair fell no further than the base of his ears, his bangs hanging carelessly into his emerald eyes. Checking his attire and being sure there were no watching eyes, he entered into the castle walls.

Once in, he made his way through the main corridor of the dim lit castle to the balcony of the meeting hall. Below him sat the wolves, now in their human form, and across from them, the Silvek vampires. This being their annual treaty, called between the two clans to discuss the impact of the recent increase of surveillance in the nearby towns. He had volunteered to scout out the conference for any sign of a possible rebellion. Just as he looked over the balcony, the world went black.

A few seconds later he awoke on the tiled floor of the hall. His vision blurred, he looked up only to see a pair of onyx eyes staring back at him from behind a shroud of black hair. Unaware of his surroundings he warily got to his feet only to realize he was in the center of the conference, and before him onyx eyes inquisitive, stood Asiel Silvek himself. Surrounding the two were the remainder of the conference, watching with curiosity and some in anger.
“To whom may we thank for such an intrusion?” Asiel spoke with an off tone accent
“No one of whom I shall tell.” He threw back in disgust
“Now now Kalex can’t we just carry on in a civil manner?”
“How do you know my name?” Kalex inquired angrily
“I probably know more about you my dear Kalex than you do about yourself.” Asiel toyed around, a smirk showing slight on his face.

Kalex, vision cleared but slightly dizzy, held a glare meant to kill that put their audience on edge whilst some laughed almost in-audibly. He knew he had a chance of making it out, but without the information he had come for he was sure to be exiled from Thoreau, and that being his only home he had no other choice. Removing an old, handcrafted silver dagger from its sheath he plunged it deep into Asiel’s side causing a slight hiss of discomfort. Asiel, removing the dagger from his side, gave Kalex a look that much resembled that of a predator willing himself not to strike too early. His Onyx eyes, mischievous, paired with a grin that just showed the tips of his ivory fangs, were enough to put Kalex into a complete daze.
“Clearly all attempts at being civil have been lost have they not?” Asiel questioned.
“Perhaps some realignment is in order.” He then announced darkly as the dagger was, with little to no effort, slipped through Kalex’s shoulder.

Kalex, pulled out of his daze by a searing pain, fell to his knees still dizzy and whimpering in agony as he removed the dagger from his skin. Carefully he sat with his back to one of the few supports in the room. Holding his bleeding shoulder he scanned the room, moving from one set of eyes to the next, all of which were focused on Asiel. Almost numb from the pain, Kalex closed his emerald eyes.

Asiel looking down upon him laughed in such a manner that the room grew still. Feeling there was no real reason to continue on he called an end to the meeting. From across the room the wolves began to howl a melodic lullaby, fading into the background as they fled the castle. Only one lone wolf remained, almost ghostlike in his appearance beneath a shaft of moonlight. Padding up to Kalex he nudged him, almost pleading. Onyx eyes ablaze, Asiel knelt down before Kalex, revealing his fangs in an eerie grin.
“To think you of all people have yet to learn from others mistakes, more specifically your own brother’s.” Asiel pointed out darkly amused
“What are you talking about? Lucian is dead. He died whilst driving the wolves from town.”
“That’s what they have gone on to believe, but dear Lucian here is very much alive.” Asiel said mockingly gesturing toward the wolf.
“And I’m afraid my dear Kalex you are to join him in his fate.” Asiel stated evilly
“What are you saying?” Kalex questioned
“Never to return home, hated by all, left simply for dead.” The words seemed to flow with a practice of years.

Kalex looked to Lucian, his emerald eyes slightly fogged. The wolf looked almost sorrowful as if trying to apologize for his years of betrayal. He felt tired, the pain beginning to ebb to a mere throbbing as it continued to bleed through his fingers clearly drawing Asiel’s attention. Things had certainly not gone as planned and he realized this gravely as he took in the piercing gaze of the vampire before him. He had hit a dead end and he knew it. There was nowhere left to run.

Asiel smiled his dark grin as he looked down at Kalex. The blood flowing freely through his fingers amused him greatly. Leaning in towards his neck he whispered solemnly “If only you had stayed home.”

Those words being the last he heard, Kalex closed his eyes. A searing pain much worse than that caused by the dagger shot through his veins. Beside him Lucian howled a sorrowful melody as his brother slowly died beside him, reawakening to a new world. Somewhere in a distance the howling of wolves cut through the autumn air, the night giving way to its newest arrival. Finally reunited with his brother Kalex walked out into the night.
Sign up to rate and review this story