Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Melodia Who

Chapter 1: Young Love and Loss

by MelodiaSnape 1 review

This Story begins after the "Murder" of Dumbledore. The Order of the Phoenix battles Voldemort. A new character, not created by JK Rowling, is introduced and Snape finds himself in an uplifting re...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Lucius, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Narcissa, Professor McGonagall, Ron, Snape, Other - Warnings: [!!!] [R] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-04-28 - Updated: 2006-04-29 - 2042 words

0Ambiance
Chapter 1: Young Love and Loss


Melodia Dumbledore was very happy living in the care of her uncle, Albus Dumbledore, at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. With the exception of missing her late parents terribly, she loved everything about the school and her teachers.

Melodia Hadass Vaughn-Dumbledore was the daughter of Belenus Raguel Douglas Dumbledore, younger brother of Albus Dumbledore. She was the miracle child born late in life for Belenus and his wife Pheona.

After helping Albus defeat the dark wizard, Grindelewald, Belenus and Pheona decided it was time to start a family. After many years of failed attempts, Pheona at last gave birth to their first and only child, Melodia.

In support of their brother Albus, they joined The Order of the Phoenix when it was formed in 1970. Sadly, after only two years of service, they were tortured and killed by Death Eaters during Lord Voldemort's rise to power.

Albus Dumbledore took Melodia to raise in late 1972 after the death of her parents. Dumbledore believed since she was due to begin classes at Hogwarts the following year anyway; it would be beneficial to her to call Hogwarts home.

Melodia was very intelligent and eager to learn all that she could. From the beginning, she secretly intended to become an Auror. She wanted more than anything to punish Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters for murdering her parents.

Melodia was an attractive girl, but rather simplistic. She was never worried about trying to be gorgeous. She was gentle, kind, and loving to everyone. She had a lot of friends and was highly respected for her own abilities and attributes, rather than merely being thought of as the Headmaster's niece.

She was much too involved with her studies and her friends to think much about boys... but there was one... a Slytherin boy... he was at least 2 years her senior. He was very tall, lanky and had greasy looking black hair. She heard some Gryffindor boys call him Snivellus, but she knew his name was really Severus Snape.

Severus was a mystery to her, and she sensed a great sadness within him that seemed to create a bitter, rough edge to his demeanor.

For reasons she could not explain she longed to repair whatever damage had been done to him that made him seem so unhappy and isolated.

Frequently, she found herself watching him and hoped he would not notice how intently she gazed at him. At times when he was deep in thought over a school assignment, she could not help but notice that he seemed almost handsome. But she was sure that no one else saw that, and he seemed to have no good opinion of his own appearance.

He was usually alone, but it was when she rarely glimpsed him interacting with other students, that she knew he was at his loneliest. He didn't fit in too well with anyone and suffered a lot of teasing from other boys. She knew he did a decent job of defending himself ... but at times he would attack those students at random later in retaliation ... and it became a vicious cycle with the lot of them.

Boys! She thought disgustedly. They were so immature!

But ... still ... with this one... she could not shake the fact that she was oddly drawn to him. In spite of his being so very shy and withdrawn, she felt he had to be a decent boy... and she never gave up on trying to get to know him a little better. She hated the fact that he ended up spending a lot of time with some other Slytherins that Melodia felt were a bad influence on him.

She began to speak casually to him during and after classes. Sometimes he was responsive, and sometimes he was not. Her heart felt as if it would break for him at times, but there were other times that he seemed just as brash as the crowd of bullies he ended up following after.

He was apparently very smart, and he excelled in almost every subject. Especially Potions, and DADA.

She decided that the best way to get him talking was to converse about school. Particularly, about the subjects that seemed to hold his interest. Therefore, she feigned needing help with Potions, and when he finally agreed to help her, she praised him for his advice and claimed to be in "deep debt" to him for his assistance.

They never became intimately close, but she did enjoy spending time with him, even if it was only for schoolwork. For some reason, he never seemed interested in any other type of conversation or personal activity, but that was enough, she thought, for now...

Although she never realized it, he had become smitten with her. He both loved and hated the gentle way about her, and the way she made him feel when he was with her. Could it possible that she had feelings for him?

"Don't be ridiculous!" he said aloud without thinking.

Of course, why would she ever fall for him? He knew that as the Headmaster's niece, he had as much chance of going out with her as he did becoming the Quidditch Captain. Severus was unbelievably frustrated with himself for acting so nervous around her.

Under his breath he swore to himself, "She's only a kid! Just a stupid... little... school girl!"

But he knew this was not true, even as he said it, he knew better. She was the nicest student in all of Hogwarts. She was kind to everyone, and was very sweet with him. He agonized over asking her what she seemed to see in him, but could never bring himself to do it.

"A fat lot of good that would do you, she probably just feels sorry for you because you're ugly as mud, and you talk like a gibbering idiot! Yeah, ask her why don't you?" he said to himself. "Give her a funny story to carry back to all the other giggly girls in the Ravenclaw common room!".

Immediately he hated himself for thinking that. He truly doubted that she was anything like that at all. She just had impeccable manners and was far too great a person to be petty in any way. She is, after all, the Headmaster's niece, and Albus Dumbledore was one of the kindest hearted people he had ever met.

As they sat in Honeydukes, sipping warm butterbeer, he realized that she was very attentive to him. He had never felt this way about anyone before, and he didn't understand it fully. The only thing he knew for sure was that he was a happier person when he was with her, and she seemed genuinely happy to be with him. She was so lovely, and he loved the way her brown eyes sparkled when she looked at him.

Severus had never had a girl look at him that way, and at first he wasn't sure how to deal with it. He was amused both by her spunky demeanor and her delightful sense of humor. The beauty of Melodia was that she was beautiful on the inside as well as the outside. Not many girls fit into this description in his opinion, and to him, she was the most beautiful girl in the world. He was utterly as astounded that such a girl would even want to be seen with an ugly git like him. He remembered how difficult he tried to make it for her to get close to him at first and was grateful that for whatever reason that she did not give up and leave him alone again.

He had at last resigned himself to believing that he could at least continue helping her with her Potions homework, and it was kind of nice to have a girl to spend time with. He never really understood why she needed his help. She seemed very bright, but she seemed very anxious to take his instruction, and put it into practice. He thought it would be nice to keep her as his friend, if he were capable of true friendship, and he felt that Melodia Dumbledore was the person that could bring that out in him. He was convinced that there was no hope of ever having any other kind of relationship with her. He thought he would end up ruining things and losing her forever, because he had no idea how to handle that kind of role.

He used to call her "Little Loddie," mostly to annoy her, but she only laughed at his cheek and called him a "shaggy headed git" in return.

That might have normally offended him, but when she squeezed his arm and smiled, his heart skipped a beat, and he would only shake his head and sigh. After spending countless weeks and months with her, he became a bit brave, sitting in Honeydukes and decided to ask the question that he never thought he would.

"What do you see in me, Loddie? That is... er ... why do find so much pleasure hanging round, bugging me about Potions and cheeking me all of the time?" He tried to sound nonchalant, but he began to stammer.

The question did not come out the way he had planned, and he was feeling foolish, so he quickly changed the course of his question.

"I mean... er ... don't get me wrong, if I have to hang out with a girl, and be bugged and insulted, I'd rather it be you than anyone else in the world."

This took Melodia aback, and her smile faltered a bit. She lowered her head for a moment, and Severus was convinced he had blown it completely.

When she looked up again, she was laughing softly, but her eyes were misty.

" Oh. Shaggy, I value your assistance with Potions, and you're truly a very gifted instructor... "Professor Snape," she teased.

His eyes narrowed a little, imagining the pain in the bum that teaching a roomful of rowdy kids could be.

Melodia saw his look of disdain, and laughed again, "That's why I bug you, but I hope you know that I would never intentionally hurt or insult you, Shaggy. I only cheek you to pay you back for calling me childish names like Little Loddie."

Deep down, she loved that nickname, but she needed to keep this exchange as light hearted as possible. If she didn't, she feared she would scare him away. She looked into his dark eyes and could swear she saw a flicker of light there.

"None of that, however, is the reason I like to 'hang around' you." She reached up as she said it and touched the hair at his temples. With a lock in each hand, she allowed them to slip through her fingers, as her hands slid down each side of his face, and she caressed his jaw-lines with her thumbs until reaching his chin.

"Don't you get it? I see a remarkable man behind your eyes. You are going to be very important someday, maybe even a Potions master!" she teased again easily.

He was so astonished by her answer that he could not find his voice to reply.

She continued sweetly, "You are so special, Shaggy," her eyes became wet with tears again, "I know it in my heart. Promise me that you will learn to have more faith in yourself, and never let anyone convince you that you do not matter."

With this, she leaned in and kissed his lips very gently. He was too stunned to react. No girl had ever kissed him that way before.

His nerves got the best of him, and he quickly stood up and announced that he wanted to practice a few new moves he intended to use in the Quiddich match for the next day against Gryffindor.

"That's okay. I have some shopping to do, and it will probably me too 'girly' for you anyhow," she said, smiling sweetly.

He waved as he headed off toward the castle and heard her call out behind him, "See you tomorrow, Shaggy! Don't forget! We have double Potions!"

There was no way for him to know that this was the last time he would ever see her... until....
Sign up to rate and review this story