Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Melodia Who

Chapter 3: Awakenings

by MelodiaSnape 0 reviews

A sigh of Relief for Severus, Melodia and The Order

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Dumbledore, Snape, Other - Warnings: [!!!] [R] [X] - Published: 2006-04-29 - Updated: 2006-04-29 - 1910 words

0Unrated
Chapter 3: Awakenings


Melodia and Severus sat with Lupin in the living room and relaxed for a time, talking over the events of the last two days. Severus asked repeatedly about Dumbledore's conditon, and was anxious to check on him again.

"We will check in on him before we retire," she said simply. I just wish I could understand all of this. It seems likes such a ....drastic measure to be taking...for both of you" she said as she looked into Snape's eyes worriedly.

Severus told them about how he had made an Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy, and how Albus had reacted calmly when he learned of it.

"I could not believe how calm he remained after learning that he had been marked for death." he told them. "He said he knew a way that we could 'get around' the vow and I literally cringed when he told me. I will never forget it." He paused, trying to collect himself. "He very calmly told me, 'It is time for me to die, then, Severus' and I stood paralyzed with shock. Apparently he saw how my reaction, so he went on to explain what he meant by that, but I remained horrified. I tried to explain to him that too many things could go wrong with this plan, but he wouldn't hear it. I felt trapped, and confused. We argued, and I lost. I was unwilling to go along with this absurd plan, and he knew it, but he would not allow me the option of declining."

"Well, I'm not surprised. That sounds like Dumbledore," Lupin interjected, "he would never willingly allow someone to risk themselves for him, regardless of the cost." Then he noticed tears in Melodia's eyes.

"Don't cry, dear." Lupin coaxed her, realizing the impact of his comment. He tried to recover, "He will be just fine. I expect he will be up around in a matter of days, spouting wisdom and assigning tasks as if none of this had ever happened to him."

"I'm sure you're right Remus, but I just can't stand it. This is all very scary and sad," she said as she brushed tears from her eyes, and tried to smile.

Severus studied her face as she spoke, and realized that she still seemed childlike to him. He knew that she was a woman now, and her feelings for him were written all over her precious features. He immediately felt terrible for bringing this subject up, so he reached for her hand and squeezed it affectionately.

Lupin watched their interaction in mild surprise. It's hard to miss that these two are more than just acquaintances, Lupin thought to himself. He knew that they had known each other at Hogwarts years ago, and it was rumored there was some sort of schoolyard romance, but he never gave that too much merit. Snape was just a geeky kid who was into the Dark Arts, and a loner, while she was the headmaster's niece. Tonight however, he had witnessed the embrace at the bottom of the stairs, and he saw how they were looking at each other. It was obvious that whatever had happened between them in their past, was far from over, and he was genuinely supportive. Perhaps Melodia's presence would benefit Severus. Regardless of his history with him, he had to admit that it would be nice for Snape to find happiness.

Melodia had begun fussing about Snape's wounds again, trying to survey the damage. She flinched slightly at the site of them, and made a sour face.

"Don't worry, I'll be alright Loddie, it's not as bad as it must look" he said absently. She knew that no matter what he claimed he truly was uncomfortable. What he needed was a good hot bath and at the very least, some topical medication for his wounds.

She gently patted his knee and said, "You should really let me treat those," as she motioned toward the gashes in his head. "And, judging from your robe, it would not surprise me to find a few there either."

He groaned, a sound that reminded her of an aggravated forest beast, and she scolded him, "Now stop that! You stay here in the living room with Remus and drink the rest of your tea. In the meantime, I will run you a hot bath, find you some clothes, and then you will let me tend those wounds."

Lupin thought she sounded a lot like Molly Weasley at that moment. His mouth turned up in a slight smile and he looked at Snape then shrugged.

Sensing there was no way to win an argument with her, Severus mumbled something in agreement and sank himself into the cushions of the sofa and sipped his fresh tea.





Over the next few days, alternate members of The Order made frequent visits caring for Narciss and Draco and of course, Dumbledore. Melodia advised that it may be risky keeping the Malfoys here for too long. Her visits with them were taxing to say the least. Narcissa ranted and cried herself into a frenzy about her absent husband, Lucius, which was quite bad enough, but Draco was the most difficult to deal with. He resented being tricked by Snape into taking the deal that Dumbledore had offered him on the tower. He was also very bitter about Snape being a spy on the side of The Order; therefore, it was feared that he was fast becoming a possible threat, despite that fact that his life had not only been spared, but he was also being kept safe.

The growing concern among the members was that he would eventually find a way to fight the sleeping spell and escape. Melodia advised the best way to guard against this was by performing the "Segrego Magos" charm to temporarily remove their magical powers.

After several days of their frustrating behavior, Severus suggested to Lupin and Tonks that Draco and Narcissa be taken to the hospital wing at Hogwarts to hide them there for the summer. This was for their safety as well as that of others since everyone else. There should be no danger there, because everyone presumed them dead, as a result of a fight to escape after being cornered by Aurors.

The Order's goal was to have Voldermort disposed of as quickly as possible in hopes that classes could safely resume in the fall. Professor McGonagall and the other teachers at Hogwarts were advised only that the Malfoys were being held until the conflict was over, and no one outside of the school was to know of their presence.

Mad-Eye Moody, Mundungus, and the Weasley's had yet to arrive because they had been going about their normal routines while trying to keep tabs on as many Death Eaters as possible, then reporting their findings back at Headquarters. All members had tasks in addition to their normal daily schedules to attend to, so many of them were in and out of the house sporadically.
This left Severus and Melodia as the only Order members constantly in the house to care for Dumbldedore. The watched over him in shifts, making sure that he was in no distress, and waiting for him to awaken.

Severus found an experimental potion he wanted to brew and administer to Dumbledore. Medicamentum, he believed, could heal his hand, and work as an antidote for the suspected contents of the liquid Dumbledore had consumed on the night of the attack on Hogwarts. Melodia worked with him for 2 days to produce the first batch. Now all they needed was to have Dumbledore wake up. Their most recent visit looked promising at first, because he did stir a couple of times, but then moved no more. Severus was beside himself with worry.

He and Melodia walked into Dumbledore's room together.
"He's still sleeping," she said quietly. She walked closer to his bed and reached down to gently grasp his wrist. "He is fine, she said softly, I can feel a good strong pulse." She bent over him to check his breathing pattern. "I don't get it, he sounds just fine," she said looking relieved. Severus had sat down in an antique wing backed chair across from the bed. Watching his only friend sleep.

He agonized aloud, "He should be awake by now, Loddie. I am concerned that he is having a more difficult time with this, than we first anticipated," he said regretfully. "This spell was meant to make him sleep for a maximum of two days," he said wearily, "If he doesn't wake today, tomorrow will be five."

"Don't' worry, Shaggy, he seems to be resting comfortably." She tried to sooth him. "He did stir a few times yesterday, perhaps he is slowly coming out of it." She said hopefully. Severus leaned back into the winged back chair with his face in his hands. She felt he was about to break under the stress. She walked to his chair and sat on the floor at his feet. He felt her brush against his legs and removed his hands from his eyes. She rested her head on his knee and embraced legs as she spoke.

"It's going to be ok, Shaggy, just have faith," she said.

He marveled at her loving gesture. He was not sure how to react, but her closeness stirred him both physically and emotionally. Before he realized it, he had begun to caress her silky hair.

"Melodia, I have never had faith in anything or anyone, with the exception of your uncle, and I'm not sure I can begin now." He paused, then, "I have worried that the combination of verbal and non verbal spells I had to use on the tower, in combination with the potion he consumed, may have been a bit much for someone his age. I hated having to pretend to kill him, he looked very weak even then, and I will not be able stand myself if those actions.... "

"It won't Shaggy, she said sweetly as she looked up, I just know it."

"I hope you're right, Loddie. Perhaps if your faith and prayers help, you should do that, for both of us," he suggested uneasily. The thought of prayer frightened him, because he had never bothered with it much. He just couldn't be sure that he would be heard or answered, given his rotten past.

" I do every day, Severus...every...single.... day." she said as she laid her head on his knees again.

Just then, Albus stirred and mumbled something.

"Severus, please," Dumbledore mumbled and tossed slightly.

Cold chills ran down Snape's back. Those were the last words he had heard him say, before he "killed him."

Melodia jumped to her feet as his body tensed, and ran to her uncle's beside. "Uncle? Uncle Albus?" she almost pleaded, as she sank to her knees at his bedside. She watched intensely for any sign of his awakening.

For a moment, there was no more movement, then Dumbledore moved his head in the direction of her voice, "Melodia?" he asked sleepily.

"Oh thank God!" she said, with tears falling freely from her eyes. "Oh, Uncle, I am so glad you're back!" she almost choked the last.

Severus was immediately on his feet, "Headmaster, I am here," he said shakily, as he placed his hands on Melodia's shoulders.

Dumbledore looked up slowly at Severus, and smiled weakly, "Thank you, my old friend," he muttered softly. "Thank you."
Sign up to rate and review this story