Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution

Chere?

by Visionary 2 reviews

Gambit comes to the Institute, and while Rogue is thrilled, Logan is not very happy with the Ragin' Cajun's advances.

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Gambit,Professor Xavier,Rogue,Wolverine - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-07-17 - Updated: 2010-07-17 - 985 words

1Original
“Hey, chere. Been a long time, non?” Dropping the sponge, I whirled around, bringing my fists up in the stance Logan had taught me. I gasped and took a step back.

“G-gambit? What the hell a’ you doin’ here?” Remy LeBeau smiled at me, his black and red eyes cheerful. He held out his empty hands.

“Just a visit, chere. Gambit can’t come see an ol’ friend?” I narrowed my eyes at him, then turned around and resumed scrubbing the X-Van. I wasn’t going to fall for his charms. He’d gotten to me before, and then used me. Never again.

“Friend?” I scoffed. “Afta’ how you used me, you call me friend? Boy, you got some screwy ideas o’ friendship.” Remy sighed.

“Ah know, chere. Gambit screwed up real bad.” I turned to look at him, hands on my hips, one eyebrow raised. Really, he screwed up? I had no clue. “And Gambit’s sorry. But tha’s why Gambit’s here. To ‘pologize.” He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. “I shouldn’ a done that. I’m real sorry, Rogue.” I was… Surprised. From what I knew of Remy, he always spoke in third person. He always tried to stay upbeat, or at least stoic. But I’d never seen him like this. His shoulders were slumped, his eyes were pained, and he was rubbing the bridge of his nose. He looked… Vulnerable. Then I realized why I put up with him. Why I’d come with him to New Orleans. Why I hadn’t raised an alarm or knocked him out when I just saw him. I loved Remy. I loved this rascally, crazy, obnoxious, thieving, swamp rat of a man.

I dove at him, wrapping my arms around his neck and burying my face into him, inhaling his musky yet spicy scent. He started.

“Chere?” He asked. I looked up at him. He was looking down at me, confused. He thought I was angry at him, that I hated him. I smiled.

“Ah love you, Remy. Ah loved you from the moment Ah met you, and, mah Gawd, Remy, Ah’ll love you ‘til the world crumbles down ‘round us. You are mah Gambit.” I kissed him, then and there, forgetting the X-Van I was supposed to be cleaning, forgetting this man was once my enemy, forgetting stupid teenage crushes and security cameras and everything but the man I loved and this moment. He broke the kiss and stumbled back.

“Mon dieu, Rogue, you tryin’ a kill me?” I was hurt, and then realized: he still believed my touch could hurt him, even kill him. I began to laugh. Until tears streamed down my face. Gambit tapped me on the shoulder, and I looked up at him, trying to catch my breath. “Uh, chere? Gambit don’ get the joke. Wha’s so funny ‘bout Gambit dyin’?” I took a deep breath and smothered giggles.

“Remy, you see this here bracelet?” I asked him, pointing to the silver bracelet on my wrist. He nodded. “This ain’t just jewelry, darlin’. It’s got special tech tha’ shuts off mutant powers. Ah can turn it off durin’ missions, but the rest a’ the time, Ah keep it on. Ah won’t drain you, Remy. Ah won’ hurt you.”His eyes widened in shocked.

“H-how? Gambit never seen tech like that.” I smiled.

“Well, Forge an’ the new girl worked togetha’ t’ develop an’ make it. Real helpful.” Remy nodded, impressed.

“True, chere. Now, where was we?” He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me. I twined my arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. He tasted like sun and jumbalaya, and I felt warm and safe in his arms. Then I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I broke the kiss and turned around.

Logan was standing next to the X-Van, one eyebrow raised.

“You plan on tellin’ us about the intruder, Stripes?” I felt my cheeks getting hot, but I stood strong with my hands on my hips.

“An’ what if Ah wasn’t, hmm? What if Ah saw no need t’ alert the mansion ‘bout Remy?” Logan’s eyebrow got even higher.

“Remy? You’re callin’ this thief, this low-life, by his first name?” Remy wrapped an arm around my waist and answered before I could.

“Yeah, chere is. You got a problem wit’ dat, Wolverine?” I glared at Remy, and he looked back at me with his lower lip stuck out in a ‘sorry’ look. I grinned at him, not able to resist his charm. Logan, on the other hand, growled.

“Don’t call me that. And get your filthy pickpocket hands off Rogue before I take them off, bub.” Remy was about to step away, but I pulled him closer, glaring at Logan.

“F’ goodness sake, Logan! Ah’m nineteen! Ah’m an adult now! Ah can choose who Ah want to see. Ah don’ need you tryin’ a tell me who’s good f’ me.” Logan tried to open his mouth, but I cut him off. “Guess what, Logan? Ah love Remy. So why don’ you get over yourself and let me be?”
Logan’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“Love? Rogue… You’re young, and… this guy was your enemy. I don’t think this is rational, Stripes.” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Rational? Since when a' you rational? And guess what, Logan; love ain’t always rational.” Logan began to object, but I ignored him. “C’mon, Remy. Let’s go inside.” We walked, Remy’s arm around my waist and my head on his shoulder. Before we went in, I looked back at Logan. “Since you’re out here, would you be a dear an’ finish washin’ the X-Van? Thanks!”

And my love and I walked into the mansion, leaving a shocked Wolverine standing in the garage.
Sign up to rate and review this story