Categories > Original > Drama > Unknown

Day One

by BVBNewHampshire 1 review

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-08-10 - Updated: 2010-08-10 - 1308 words

0Unrated
A dark house with no sign of life was what Aeryn had just walked into. Both her aunt and uncle were out at one of their daily meetings, leaving the small house unoccupied. She often thought of what it would be like to have some friends over for a party; this is, if she had any.

She slowly stumbled into the miniature kitchen and hit the first light switch that her hand grasped. The sudden bright light shocked her eyes, and Aeryn blinked several times before she could keep them open comfortably. Even though she had been there for over a year, she was still not used to the house she had been forced to live in. All she could ever think of was how desperately she wanted to go home.

After she had stared at the room for several minutes, Aeryn regained movement by going into the petite bathroom that was right next to the front door of the house. She walked in, turned on one of the two lights, and closed the door. It was never clear to her why she kept it closed when no one was home, but it gave her a sense of privacy. Aeryn stood in front of the mirror that was hooked onto the wall just above the sink, and looked at herself. She wanted to look away but forced herself to stare at what she thought was a grotesque looking person. She slowly went over her whole body, staring and criticizing.

First came her wavy dark brown hair. She had always hated how frizzy it was, and she used to keep it tied up in a loose ponytail. However, when she reached the age of 15, she started wearing it down, although she did use an abnormally large amount of product to keep it under control. After that, her face. It was average, her skin rather smooth except for a small pimple or two. Her eyebrows were in desperate need of a waxing, but she never went that often since her hair dresser was more than an hour’s drive away. Her eyes were the only thing Aeryn could stand about herself. They were the one thing she was always sure to get compliments on, because everyone always said that they were the deepest brown eyes they had ever seen. Her lips were full and plump, but they were always at least a little bit chapped…

Her body came next, the thing Aeryn despised above all else. Her breasts were large; they had been that way since she was a young girl, and she despised it. She had big arms, as well as a big stomach, and large thighs. Her family always told her that she wasn’t fat, but she never listened to them. Trying to fight back the tears, Aeryn closed her eyes. She felt her stomach rumble, and she held it. ‘Oh, shut up you.' , she said, desperate to make the grumbling cease. She then shut the light off, opened the door, and quickly made it out of the bathroom, down the hallway, up the stairs, and into her bedroom.

The door slammed shut behind her, as usual. Aeryn took off the tee-shirt and sweatpants she was wearing from the walk so that she could put her pajama’s on, but when she was down to her bra and underwear, she stopped and looked at herself in the vanity mirror her aunt had bought her. She stared at the cuts and scars all over her thighs. After looking at those, she removed her rainbow checkered wristband from her left arm that revealed dozens more. She hated the fact that she hurt herself, but it was just another one of those things that helped get her through.

Aeryn threw on a pair of black pajamas that was on the floor because she heard the front door slam shut. 'Great… they are home. Time to put on a smile.' She thought to herself as she slowly made her way back down the stairs.

“Hey, Aunt Deborah. Uncle Matt.”

Her aunt looked at her with the big smile that was usually plastered on her face. “Hi, hunny. What did you do while we were gone?”

“Nothing, really. Just watched some TV.”

Aunt Deborah rolled her eyes. “That is so typical you. Why don’t you go outside for a change? You could use the exercise!”

Aeryn couldn’t believe she just said that. She sighed and ran back up the stairs. She knew to be used to comments like that. Aunt Deborah didn’t mean it, she just couldn’t control herself…

The foam mattress conformed to her body as Aeryn threw herself onto it and turned the TV on. She knew that she needed to find something that had been on for at least 10 minutes in case her aunt came in and asked questions. She settled for Law & Order, one of the few television shows she could actually stand. She had seen this episode more than once: a missing teenager was found in a building that was under construction. It was 8:30, which meant it was half over. Before Aeryn had the chance to turn the volume up higher, she heard a knock on her door, and without even moving she knew that it was her aunt with some type of desert to make up.

She sprung up and walked the short distance to the door. To no surprise, there was Aunt Deborah with strawberry shortcake.

“I’m sorry about earlier. You know I say things without thinking.” She obviously felt bad.

“Its alright, Auntie Deb. I understand.” Aeryn smiled the best she could.

It must have fooled her aunt, because she smiled back. “Good. Well, here’s your desert. Good night.”

Aeryn kissed her aunt on the cheek and then watched her walk into her bedroom right next door. She waited until the door was closed and the light was off before she took the bowl and made her way into the bathroom across the hallway.

The door shut quietly behind her. There was no need to turn on the light because of the bright nightlight in the right hand corner of the bathroom. After Aeryn ate a single strawberry slice without any whipped topping on it, she took the spoon and silently dumped the delicious desert into the toilet. She looked in momentarily before flushing it down. She stood up straight and looked in the mirror. She held her stomach that was rumbling once again, and she had a slight smile come out of the left corner of her mouth as she took 3 steps towards the scale. Aeryn stepped on and waited a few seconds before she realized that she had lost a half a pound in 2 days. She got a big smile across her face, the kind she only got when she lost weight.

After returning to her bedroom, Aeryn grabbed her laptop and shut off everything else in the room. She then opened her online secret diary, and wrote her entry for the day:

“I lost .5 pounds in the past two days. I’m so proud of myself. Its one step closer to perfection. I’ve been working harder, and its paying off. A list of my food for the past 24 hours:

3 Diet Coke’s
7 Glasses of Water
½ a cucumber, no salt
1 slice of strawberry

Besides that, I’ve walked over 10,000 steps. I can’t wait until I reach my goal… Maybe then I’ll finally be happy.”


She reread her entry and then pressed the post button. Up until now, she didn’t realize how tired she was. She closed her laptop and placed it on the floor. Aeryn then grabbed her iPod, set the sleep alarm for 15 minutes, and fell asleep to the sounds of Black Veil Brides, Vampires Everywhere, and Get Scared.
Sign up to rate and review this story