Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Give Me a Reason to Believe.

“It’s our family. See how happy we are?”

by OhSoIntricateLie 4 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2010-08-11 - Updated: 2010-08-11 - 1224 words - Complete

2Insightful
For the next few days Gerard left the booze alone and did anything he could to try and make it up to Paisley for his violent behavior. On her birthday, he made her an omelet and brought it to her in bed.

“Happy Birthday,” he gave her the most adorable smile imaginable.

“Thank you baby.” Paisley sat the plate on the bedside table and motioned for Gerard to sit in front of her. Before she could say anything, he spoke.

“I am so sorry for what happened. I really am. I promised I never would hurt you again. And I did. Maybe with the band I can make enough to get us our own place. That’d make you happy, wouldn’t it?”

Paisley tried not to cry, “As long as I’m with you, I’m happy.”

“Even if I hurt you, you’re still happy with me.” He bowed his head.

“Gerard Arthur Way. That wasn’t you the other night. That was the whiskey.”

Gerard looked at her like he wanted to believe her. He was going to say something. Instead he stood up, taking his car keys.

“Where are you going,” Paisley frowned.

“I need to try and get a hold of Ray. He plays a wicked guitar. Matt and I could use him in the band.”

Paisley never put much into her birthday like other people did. It wasn’t a national freaking holiday, so there’s no need to treat it that way. But she played that card, “But it’s my birthday.”

Gerard nodded, “I know. You’ve got a cake upstairs. You and Helena can eat on it. Mom and dad are in Pennsylvania visiting friends. But Mikey will be home later.”

“Are you not planning on coming home,” she tried to keep her voice even.

“I do but it’ll be late.”

“Okay. Well thanks for the omelet.”

Gerard frowned, “You let it get cold.”

Paisley picked up the plate and started upstairs, “It’s not the only thing that’s gotten cold in here,” she muttered as she threw the breakfast in the garbage.

Gerard followed her into the kitchen. He stood in the doorway, like he was confused. Without taking her eyes off the now empty plate she said softly, “If you’re going to leave, go.”

Striding over he barely brushed his lips against her cheek and left.



Around noon, Paisley left the Way house to go pick up Helena from kindergarten. Paisley considered stopping by Borders on the way home to speak with her brother-in-law. She pulled in the elementary school parking lot and entered the kindergarten hallway to stand with the other mothers. At 12:30 the classroom door opened and all the children spilled into the hallway. Paisley picked Helena up and carried her outside.

“How was today?”

“It was good. I drew a picture mommy.”

“What did you draw, Helena,” Paisley buckled her into her car seat.
When Paisley got in, Helena handed her a folded piece of construction paper. The tears that she had been holding back all day, let loose as she studied the picture. Three stick figures ‘holding hands’ were surrounded by five other stick figures. Each one labeled as best a five year old can write, which isn’t very well, with the names of all the Ways along with Ray and Frankie.

“It’s our family. See how happy we are?”

Paisley nodded as she wiped her tears away, “It’s very nice sweet heart. You did well.”

Helena sat back in her car seat obviously satisfied.

“Hey, what do you say to going and visiting Uncle Mikey at work?”

“Yeah!”




“Sorry Paisley, I’m not going to be home till late either. I’ve got a date with Emma. I think we were going to go see a movie.”

“Ooh la la,” Paisley fluttered her eyelashes.

“Shut up,”Mikey grinned as he helped Helena find a book.

“Uncle Mikey! That’s not nice,” the five year old placed her hand on her hips as she admonished her uncle.

Mikey grinned, “So sorry Lena,” looking at Paisley he winked, “Hush.”

“I want this one!” Helena held up ‘Where the Wild Things Are.’

“Good choice,” Mikey exclaimed. Taking the book to the register, he bought it with his employee discount, “Here you go.”

“Thanks Mikey, for the book and taking her to school this morning. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” Paisley tried to hide the sadness in her voice but Mikey picked up on it. He walked around the partition and hugged her.

“Things are gonna get better between you two. I know it will. Oh and by the way, Happy 24th Birthday!”

“Thanks Mikey,” Paisley said thankfully.

“Bye uncle Mikey!”

“Bye niece Helena!”



Helena went down for a nap the minute she laid down on her bed, giving Paisley time to snoop around, er, tidy up her husband’s desk. With a feeling of déjà vu, she found the song he had been writing.

You're not in this alone Let me break this awkward silence/Let me go, go on record/Be the first to say I'm sorry/Hear me out, And if you take me down/Or would you lay me out/And if the world needs something better/Let's give them one more reason now, now, now

We walk in single file/We light our rails and punch our time/Ride escalators colder than a cell

This broken city sky like butane on my skin/stolen from my eyes/Hello Angel, tell me where are you/Tell me where we go from here

Tell me we go from...

And in this moment we can't close the lids on burning eyes/Our memories blanket us with friends we know like fallout vapors/Steel corpses stretch out towards an ending sun, scorched and black/It reaches in and tears your flesh apart/As ice cold hands rip into your heart

That's if you've still got one that's left inside that cave you call a chest/And after seeing what we saw, can we still reclaim our innocence/And if the world needs something better, let's give them one more reason now

This broken city sky like butane on my skin/stolen from my eyes/Hello Angel, tell me where are you/Tell me where we go from here

Tell me we go from here//


Paisley subconsciously picked out several phrases, storing them in her mind.

You're not in this alone. Hello Angel, tell me where are you? Tell me where we go from here.


Being careful to put the song back exactly where she found it, she wandered upstairs where the phone began to ring. Answering the phone, she frowned. It was Helena’s best friend, wanting to know if Helena could spend the night. Paisley agreed. The girl and her mom would be over in fifteen minutes. Paisley woke her daughter and packed her overnight bag. As soon as Helena left with her friend, Paisley walked into the kitchen to her cake.

She picked up the note beside and smiled.

“Hey baby. I made you this cake while you were asleep. I hope you like it.
~Gee”


Opening the box it was in she swiped some icing off with her finger and tasted it.

“Happy Birthday to me,” she sighed gloomily.
Sign up to rate and review this story