Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Cherry Blossom

Dead To Me

by Moribund 1 review

...the sudden impact, the shock, the pain...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2010-08-23 - Updated: 2010-08-23 - 1094 words - Complete

0Unrated
-Gerard’s point of view-

I watched over Frankie from a distance, fearful for his safety, yet also curious as to how a ghost is sent on their way. For the first half an hour of following them, I was really confused. They went into a candle store, T.J Maxx, then down to a grocery store. What the hell were they up to?!

Well, it all became pretty clear when they headed to the park, because that’s where Sally hangs out. She used to spend a lot of time with her kids’ by the duck pond. She taught me a lot when I was new to the whole death thing, seriously, I was a crazy wreck; in shock, confused, scared, the list goes on. But she helped me out, explained that I was dead in the world I had known but was alive in this realm and so I could still be with my loved ones. I don’t know how I’d make it through that first year without Sally, she was a mom to me, which I needed, still do kinda, ‘cause I’m never gonna grow up, am I?

Sally had been dead for over twenty years, and she had seen a lot of ghosts come and go. She was probably the only ghost that understood, to some extent, how death really worked. When I got a little freaked ‘cause I’d keep waking up under the blossom tree after ‘falling asleep’ or blacking out, she explained that it was my ‘last walk’; a recent happy memory that I’d subconsciously keep trying to recreate, and would constantly return to. The last walk really is what it says on the tin, ‘cause it turns out, that’s where the mediators will come get you. Sally was on her last walk when Frankie and Miss Julietta exorcised her.

Part of me hates them. Sally was someone I knew I could trust, like Mikey, but now she was gone as well. They think that just cause they have power over souls that they can do what the fuck they like with us; treating us like fucking playthings. All that we have left is our mind and soul, our bodies lie under the sodden earth, slowly decaying as our memory decays with them; or burnt into ashes, and scattered into the wind, thrown away like stale water. What have we left other than that? Nothing.

My last walk, my last happy memory is of Mikey. It was my seventeenth birthday, a Saturday. Mikey and I were sitting underneath the cherry blossom tree in the dappled sunlight, laughing and joking with each other. I was drawing in the sketchpad that he had given me that morning. He had burst into my room and jumped onto my bed, thrusting the neatly wrapped parcel into my face as he squealed ‘Happy birthday Gee!’. I swear that kid was more excited about my birthday than he was about his own. We had spent so long under the tree that it was late by the time we got back home; we only noticed because the sun had started to get low in the sky.

Who would have known that less than two weeks later I’d be dead.

I winced as I remembered my death; the sudden impact, the shock, the pain. Oh god the agonising pain; it lasted for less than a second but felt like eternity.

I shook my head as the agony started ripping through me again, forcing me to curl into a ball on the ground. Trying to fling the memory from my mind, I screamed, tears falling from my eyes and into nothingness; nothing of the dead lingers long. Desperately trying to focus on something else, I recalled into my mind the kiss; the sweet, warm, heartfelt kiss. Frank’s lips were rough yet tender, and his breath tickled my cheek, causing my heart to flutter as if it could still beat. As if it was still there at all. But the warmth of Frank’s affection disappeared as I remembered his rejection.

That’s where Frank eventually found me; curled up and shaking, sobbing uncontrollably as the pain came in waves, over and over again. His voice was muffled but I could still recognise the panic that emitted from him. Steadily, I gave into the pain and closed my eyes, blacking out in Frank’s arms.

-Frank’s point of view-

“I hope you don’t come across a strong one before your time.”

Her words confused me slightly, as did everything about her; I didn’t expect her to worry about my well being. Julietta told me to meet her again tomorrow at the same time, same place, and bade me goodbye. I lingered in the park for a minute or so more, wondering whether Sally really did go to a place where she could watch over her children.

But suddenly I was shaken from my thoughts as I heard a heart-wrenching cry, like something you’d expect to hear coming from a medieval torture chamber. I rushed towards where the sound had come from; a patch of tree’s not far from the exorcism. I burst through them, and before me lay Gerard; curled up on the ground, whimpering and quivering in pain, tears coming in torrents causing his beautiful ebony hair to stick to his porcelain skin.

“Gerard! Gee! Oh baby what happened?!”

I fell to his side and pulled him into my arms, hugging him to my chest as I wiped the strands of hair from his eyes. Desperately I tried to find what was hurting him, but to no avail. Finally, he whimpered my name softly, sadly, and fell limp in my arms. I sat there, sobbing over Gerard’s body and kissing his lips, cheek and forehead over and over again in a futile hope that he’d be okay, for several minutes until I realised that he was already dead, and thus couldn’t be physically hurt.

Seeing no other way to help, I lifted him into my arms and carried him all the way home, ignoring the curious stares of late night joggers seeing a boy carrying an invisible weight. When I finally got into my room I laid him gently on my bed, he didn’t even weigh it down, reminding me of his non-existence in the world of the living. I sat on the chair by my desk, and waited for Gerard to wake up, praying that he would wake up.
Sign up to rate and review this story