Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Angel of Music

The Idea

by YamiAlchemist 1 review

Atem is gone and Yugi is depressed. In order to get him out of it, Joey and the gang get him to join the schools play. What happens when the play is The Phantom of the Opera? YYxY Puzzleshipping!

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Yami Yugi,Yugi Mutou - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2010-09-03 - Updated: 2010-09-04 - 1255 words - Complete

1OOC
If I owned the Phantom of the Opera, I'd be dead, and you wouldn't be seeing this story. Since you are, and I'm not dead, that must mean that I don't own it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel of Music

The idea

"Come on Yugi, you've got to do somethin' pal," Joey said. He wrapped an arm around Yugi's shoulders and looked down at the shorter one.

"I know Joey, it's just… I'm not really feeling up to it," Yugi replied.

"Yugi, it's been a year already. Ya can't keep dwelling on him," Joey said.

"I know Joey, I know," Yugi sighed, "I just miss him so much."

"I know Yuge, we all do," Joey said, choosing his words carefully, "But Atem's where he belongs now."

"I keep telling myself that, but it still hurts to think about him," Yugi whispered.

"Then, let's do something to get your mind offa him," Joey said as he led Yugi down the hallway.

"I don't think this is a good idea," Yugi said.

"Come on Yuge, it's just a play. Besides, I heard that Kaiba's trying out too," he replied.

"Kaiba? Seto Kaiba? Who talked him into trying out for a play?" Yugi asked incredulously.

"Mokuba,"

Yugi snorted and shook his head. Figures, that's the only person that Kaiba will do anything for, including trying out for a play. The two walked into the school's auditorium. There were several dozen people sitting around talking about what kind of play the school might have chosen. Joey spotted Tea and Ryou halfway down the auditorium and waved to them. He and Yugi joined them just as the play's director, and their history teacher, Mr. Takara walked out on the stage.

"Alright everyone, settle down," he said, "I'm sure you're all eager to learn what play we're doing."

The crowd murmured their agreement and Mr. Takara smiled.

"We'll be doing a version of The Phantom of the Opera. I say version because it'll be slightly different. Our own Joey Wheeler has made it clear that he is willing to rewrite part of the play to suit the school's budget," he said.

Joey stood up and scratched the back of his head sheepishly while smiling slightly. The group looked at him shocked. He sat back down and looked at them.

"What?"

"I didn't know you were helping out," Tea said.

"Yeah, Mr. Takara asked me to redo part of the play for him," Joey said.

"That's great, Joey!" Ryou said.

"Thanks," he replied, "Oh; he's talking again, shhh."

The group turned their attention back to Mr. Takara, who was talking about the auditions.

"The auditions for the play will take place tomorrow afternoon. They will be closed auditions, meaning only one person in there at a time. The judges will be myself and Miss Bosela, the music teacher. Each person is expected to act out a small part as well as sing part of a song from the play. The men will be singing part of Music of the Night, while the girls will be singing part of Think of Me. I hope you'll all audition," he said.

The auditorium burst into noise as the crowd started talking excitedly about the upcoming auditions.

"So Yugi, do you think you'll audition?" Ryou asked.

"I don't know…"

"Of course he is. After all, his best friend is writing the thing, so of course he's going to try and be a part of it," Joey said.

"Joey…"

"No buts Yugi. Ya need to get out of the game shop for a while and this play is the perfect chance to do it," Joey said.

"I have to agree, Yugi. You do need to do something else," Tea said quietly.

Yugi sighed. He knew there was no arguing with them.

"Fine, I'll try out, but that doesn't mean I'll get a part," he said.

"That's okay, it's enough that your trying out," Ryou said.

"Yeah,"

The next day, after school

"Yugi, you're up next," a blonde girl named Julie said as she came out of the auditorium.

"Thanks," he said as he walked in.

"Break a leg, Yuge!" Joey shouted after him.

Yay, Yugi thought as he made his way down to the front of the auditorium.

"Hello Yugi, I'm glad you decided to try out," Mr. Takara said.

Yugi smiled, "Me too."

"Okay so we're going to act out a small part and then you're going to sing for us, okay?" he asked.

"Yep," Yugi replied.

"Good,"

They quickly acted out a small scene that featured the two owners of the playhouse in the story. When they finished, Mr. Takara wrote some notes down on his clipboard and Miss Bosela stood up and walked over to the piano. She sat down and played a few notes before turning to him.

"Okay Yugi, I want you to sing the first three verses from Music of the night," she said.

He nodded and began singing,

"Night-time sharpens,
heightens each sensation
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination
Silently the senses abandon their defences ...

Slowly, gently night unfurls its splendour
Grasp it, sense it - tremulous and tender
Turn your face away
from the garish light of day,
turn your thoughts away
from cold, unfeeling light -
and listen to the music of the night ...

Close your eyes and surrender to your
darkest dreams!
Purge your thoughts of the life
you knew before!
Close your eyes,
let your spirit start to soar!
And you'll live
as you've never lived before ..."


Miss Bosela quit playing and made a few notes on her own clipboard. Yugi stood there nervously, waiting for them to tell him that he could go. Miss Bosela turned to him and tilted her head.

"Yugi, would you be willing to humor me for a moment?" she asked.

"Sure," he replied.

"Could you sing the first three verses of Think of Me?" she asked.

He looked at her strangely but nodded his head anyways. He took a deep breath again and started to sing the words. His soft tenor voice floated over the auditorium as the words slipped out of his mouth.

Think of me, think of me fondly,
when we've said goodbye.
Remember me once in a while -
please promise me you'll try.
When you find that, once again, you long
to take your heart back and be free -
if you ever find a moment,
spare a thought for me

We never said our love was evergreen,
or as unchanging as the sea -
but if you can still remember
stop and think of me . . .

Think of all the things
we've shared and seen -
don't think about the way things
might have been . . .


Yugi opened his eyes, never realizing that he closed them. Miss Bosela nodded her head in thanks and Mr. Takara let him go. He wondered what that was all about as he made his way back out into the hallway where Joey was waiting for him.

"So how'd it go?" Joey asked.

"Fine, though they had me sing the girls part too," he said.

"Why?"

"I don't know," Yugi confessed.

"Well, the results are announced on Friday, so you'll find out then what it was all about," Joey said.

"Yeah," Yugi murmured.

"In the meantime, pal, you and I are going to go get a burger," Joey said.

"Sure, why not?" Yugi asked as he smiled up at the taller blonde.

The two headed out of the school to grab a burger, never knowing just what kind of impact Yugi's audition would have on them.
Sign up to rate and review this story