Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Consequences of a prepared mind

6

by freemaka 2 reviews

...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Published: 2010-09-08 - Updated: 2010-09-08 - 2731 words

5Original
Harry spun, trying to keep his balance he remembered Tom's advise not to focus too much on the intervening fireplaces but to focus on the view of a platform in his mind. He slowly spun to a stop and he stepped smartly out of the fireplace when saw the empty platform before him.

A scarlet steam engine was waiting next to the platform puffing small clouds of steam with a few people mingling around the engine, no doubt preparing the train for the long journey. He supposed that the journey was for people to mingle and get to know each other before reaching Hogwarts, allowing for a sort of transition between home and school. Otherwise he couldn't see a reason for a society that had the ability to travel almost instantaneously from one place to another to use such a time intensive method of travelling.

Harry moved out of the way of the fireplace to clear the way for others. Pulling his trunk behind him he walked towards the train. A sign overhead said Hogwarts' Express, eleven o'clock. Harry saw a young looking couple with a student, first year by the looks of her; appear through a wrought-iron archway where he guessed the barrier to Kings Cross was. On closer inspection he realised that the student was probably a muggle-born, further confirmed be the wide eyed expressions of disbelief on the adults faces combined by the hyped excitement on the girl's.

Steam billowed from the engine and drifted between clumps of people appearing from nowhere, literally nowhere. Harry quickly walked towards the front of the carriages. Experience with Dudley meant that he knew kids would be less likely to cause trouble around people of authority. Taking the third compartment from the front right next to the prefect compartments would hopefully reduce any trouble, he didn't want to make a bad impression and in his experience confirming guilt was never really an issue.

Settling down, once again thankful for the feather light charms on his trunk that allowed him to store it without difficulty, he picked up Magical Drafts and Potions and mentally listed ingredients, preparations and instructions for each potion then checking himself against the book.

A while later the crowd outside the window had increased. Different looking people were all mixed up all trying to get their children on the train before they were too late while simultaneously hugging and fussing, delaying at the same time. Children were calling over the heads of the crowd greeting friends and discussing their summer, while cats of every colour wound here and there between their legs and owls hooted to one another in a disgruntled sort of way over the babble and the scraping of heavy trunks. Glad that he had let Hedwig fly on her own, Harry started people watching.

A good pastime, especially when keeping away from the Dursleys notice, people watching allowed him to observe the different behaviour of his peers and their parents. There was a large variety, from aristocratic blank faces politely wishing each other well to manic clutching from parents and children alike. There were the older students blasé at the situation, to the teary eyed first year and the bewildered faces of the muggle parents with some (probably) purebloods edging away from them.

The carriages started to become packed with students; some were hanging out of the window to talk to their families, some fighting over seats. Harry saw an elderly lady with a first year as they passed his window. The round-faced boy was slightly frantic, looking though his pockets.

"Gran, I've lost my toad again."

"Oh, Neville," he heard the old woman sigh. They moved on, as did his attention focusing on a boy with dreadlocks who was surrounded by a small crowd.

"Give us a look, Lee, go on." The boy lifted the lid of a box in his arms, and the people around him shrieked and yelled as something inside poked out a long, hairy leg.

"Fred? George? Are you there?" A red haired woman stood on the platform with a young girl and boy, both with the same shade of red hair by her side.

"Coming, Mom."

This came from a pair of twins disengaging themselves from the group surrounding Lee who had moved towards the train to find an empty carriage. With a last look at the box, the twins moved in tandem, boggling the mind's eye with their symmetry. Starting to feel a slight pang at the sight of so many children with loving families he tracked the red headed twins. Their mother had just taken out her handkerchief.

"Ron, you've got something on your nose." The youngest boy tried to jerk out of the way, but she grabbed him and began rubbing the end of his nose.

"Mom, geroff."

He wriggled free, embarrassed at the display of mothering. Harry was slightly jealous and wondered at the boy's attitude, if it were him he would be warm with the feeling of love emanating from the woman who obviously loved them all, never mind their number. What followed was the normal sibling rivalry he had observed among his peers at Dunhill. Teasing and even a slight mocking, but seeped in love from their parents, they would stand together no matter what.

There was a mad rush of students and parents when the warning whistle sounded. A minute later the train began to move. Last words and cries of 'I love you's' and 'be goods' were shouted and Harry saw the twin's mother waving and their sister, half laughing, half crying, running to keep up with the train until it gathered too much speed, then she fell back and waved. He watched as the girl and her mother disappeared as the train rounded the corner. Houses flashed past the window. Harry felt a wave of excitement cover the burn of missing having a family to call his own. He didn't know what he was going to — but it had to be better than what he was leaving behind.

Harry settled down and pulled his book to him. Before he could immerse himself again there was a knock on the door to his compartment.

"May I join you?" A resigned voice said.

The chubby faced boy, who had lost his toad and had been seen off by his grandmother was in the doorway looking like he was expecting to be rebuffed. The disappointed and yet slightly defiant posture he was displaying was familiar to Harry. That had been him not long ago. Trying to interact with his peers but knowing he would be sent away and ridiculed, and the strength of character that was needed to try anyway.

"Sure, I'd like some company. I'm Harry Potter, here let me help?"

As he said this Harry had gotten up from his seat and helped bring the other boys trunk into the compartment. With a little back and forth they were able to stow it away. It also had a feather light charm which rather weak, but still it was rather bulky.

"Neville Longbottom. Thank you." For helping with the trunk and for letting me sit with you.

The last unsaid but understood anyway. They had settled in across from each other and a silence descended. Harry was glad that aside from a slight eyebrow raise at his name there had been no other reaction.

"So what house do you want to go into?"

"Well my Grandmother wants me to go into Gryffindor like my father, but I doubt if I will. Not brave enough I guess. I would be happy with Hufflepuff, I'm just glad I got in. My family thought I was a squib for so long." Self depreciating, insecure and bashful. Having found a kindred soul, one that didn't mesh well with their peers, he replied with equal honesty.

"I'd like Ravenclaw. I've met the head of house and he's great, and I love to read and learn so it's probably the best fit. Unfortunately after reading what's been published about me, the public seem to see me as this heroic figure, which is silly, as they don't even know me just what the papers have said. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seemed to have been portrayed as the quintessential Gryffindor. Heroically brave and self sacrificing. The Boy-Who-Lived. Do you know how they sort students? Professor Flitwick wouldn't say." Neville smiled.

"No. Everyone I've asked said it's a rite of passage. And yes you are right about what people will expect of you."

"Great, not in this world two months and already I have people expecting certain things from me. Well Professor Flitwick did say that we were sorted on our abilities and personalities, I just hope that this reputation won't affect that."

"I see your reading ahead." Nodding to the book at Harry's side "That's very Ravenclaw of you."

"I just want to keep up, I mean being brought up in the muggle world I've never even heard of some of these plants, and though potions could be considered like chemistry, subjects like Transfiguration don't have their equivalents. When I first started reading my text books I had to keep referring to Wizarding Work of Words for definitions. Longbottom's a old family name so you're a pureblood?" At Neville's nod he continued . "Which means that as much studying as I have done you are probably still way ahead, just by living in this world."

"Maybe, but I'm sure you'll catch up quickly. How about a trade, we can help each other. I know about some of the old Wizarding traditions and the like, I'm also pretty good at Herbology, and you could help me with other things, especially if you get into Ravenclaw?"

At that moment another student knocked on the door. It slid open and the muggleborn he had seen with her parents arriving on the station via the barrier was standing there slightly red in the face from pulling her trunk.

"Can I join you?" A slightly bossy yet nervous voice asked.

The girl had bushy brown hair and slightly large front teeth. At the moment they were chewing on her bottom lip. It seemed that on this trip, like attracted like.

"Sure. Here let us help with that." With Neville's help another trunk was placed in the racks and they all sat down to look at each other.

"Hermione Granger. Um I'm muggleborn, it was ever so much a surprise when I found out about magic and Hogwarts" All this was said in one breath, rushed and expectant.

"Neville Longbottom."

"Harry Potter." And the expected reaction occurred.

"Are you really? I've read all about you…"

"I'm in Modern Magical History, Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts. I'm also mentioned in a few others but they are the main ones. I see you like reading ahead?"

"Oh yes, I've learnt all the set books by heart and I got some extra reading to help as well, I just don't want to be left behind those who have lived with magic all their lives."

"I don't think we'll be too far behind in lessons, from what I've read they start out the first year at a basic level and go along at the slowest pace. It's all the other stuff I'm worried about. But don't place too much credence on what those books say. Some of them seem to be written with the purpose to sell copies. I mean, of the four people in the house that night, three of them are dead. Since I was not yet talking, and I don't remember giving any interviews afterwards, I think they have to be taken with a little bit of salt."

"Oh … well yes, I never really thought about that. Do you mean that all of the books are that inaccurate?" A worried expression crossed her face, as if the thought that books could not be relied upon was of utmost significance.

"Well they seem to be able to print things much more freely, stating speculation as fact, more that the muggle press, but I'm sure that they are accurate to some point. I see a lot of cross referencing is in our future. So do you think you'll be in Ravenclaw then?" This generated a small smile from the girl and a nervous smile.

"Either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, not really too sure. I think both could be fun. How about you?"

And what followed was the usual getting to know each other conversation. Nothing very remarkable, nothing to really remember except that it was the start of a friendship that would last years.

The train slowed as it entered the station. Having already changed into their school uniform the three of them packed up their carryon bags and checked for any left items. Locating Trevor under a pile of Chocolate Frog wrappings they settled down ready to leave and peered through the window and into the dark surrounding Hogsmeade station and the village.

A disembodied voice echoed throughout the train compartment. "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train; it will be taken to the school separately."

Harry's stomach lurched with nerves and looking at his two companions they didn't seem any better. As the train jerked to a stop they made their way out of the compartment and joined the crowd waiting in the corridor. The train slowed right down and then finally stopped. After no small amount of pushing and shoving they made it out on to a tiny, dark platform. Harry shivered in the cold night air and wrapped his robe around him. Grateful of the extra money he had spent to have climate charms woven throughout through the material.

A lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students towards the end of the station accompanied by a loud booming voice.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here! All right there? C'mon, follow me — any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

A large man whose face was surrounded by bushy hair and beard emerged from the darkness. Once all the first years had clustered around him and the platform emptied of all the other students he turned and made his way down a steep and narrow path. Trying not to slip on the wet stones they followed the man down the path closed in on all sides by thick trees. Nobody spoke much and the three of them kept close. The trees on either side caused everything to be in darkness that not even the lantern permeated.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," the man called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake, it's surface rippling and reflecting the moon whose light helped them see the castle. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was Hogwarts castle built in a non uniform design with many turrets and towers breaking up its lines.

"No more'n four to a boat!" pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore.

There was a loud "Oooooh!" from the majority of the students at their first sight of their school for the next seven years. Keeping his composure at the sight of the castle Harry helped Hermione into the first free boat and then held it steady for Neville. Once they were both settled he joined them. At an "Everyone in?" from their guide who had a boat to himself, the word of command was given and the boats glided forward under their own power.

The castle towered over them as they approached the cliff face. Ducking their heads to avoid a curtain of ivy they found themselves travelling through a pitch black tunnel, the lantern bobbing in front of them providing enough light for them to see the corresponding harbour underneath the school. After disembarking and a trip up another slippery stone path they found themselves standing on a large lawn that led up towards the huge oak doors.

With his large fist the man knocked three times on the heavy wooden doors, the sound reverberating through the silent night air.
Sign up to rate and review this story