Categories > Books > Harry Potter > In Search of a Family: Two Dimensions to the Left

II

by FredLyonsTheGreat 4 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-09-11 - Updated: 2010-09-11 - 716 words

1Original
A Blank Demension: August 2nd, 1995
"Hey, Lila," Harry sneered, walking into the Potter's living room. His sister glanced up and winced.

"What do you want?"

"Just thought you'd like to know that Sirius and I are going to Diagon Alley. He promised to buy me a new broom."

"As if you needed one," Lila muttered, turning away so that Harry wouldn't see her face. Although Sirius was Harry's godfather, not hers, it still hurt that he never spent any time with her.

"Well, enjoy yourself at home, loser!" Harry yelled, heading out the door.

Biting her lip unhappily, Lila shut the book she had been reading and wandered back up to her room. She curled up on the window seat and stared out over the vast grounds of Potter Mansion. 'Why does he have to be so mean?' she wondered, not for the first time. 'I've never done anything to him!'

'I wish he was different,' Lila thought, leaning against the cool glass. 'I wish my brother was actually nice to me.' Immediately, a strange sensation made her shiver. It was as if ice had just flown through her body. And it hurt.

"Hm," she winced, her face scrunching up. "Strange."

And at the exact same time, in another universe, someone else had the exact same reaction.

Two Demensions to the Left: August 2nd, 1995

"Boy, get down here!"

"Yes, Uncle Vernon," Harry replied wearily. Descending the stairs, he stalked into the kitchen and demanded, "What?"

"Don't use that tone of voice with me!" Vernon roared. "Show some respect for your elders, Boy!"
"Okay," Harry mumbled absently. "Was that all you wanted to say?"

"Shut up! How dare you talk back to me! We take you in out of the kindness of our hearts and this is all the gratitude we get in return? Go weed the garden, Boy! Earn your keep!"

Harry dearly wanted to say "What do you think I've been doing all these years," but stopped himself. Instead, he muttered, "Yes, Uncle," and went outside.

'I hate my relatives,' he thought bitterly, kneeling in the dirt. 'I wish my family was alive. I wish I was loved. I wish someone cared for me.'

A sudden tingle ran down his spine and he jumped in surprise. His entire body felt icy, like being poked with a thousand icecles on every inch of his skin. To say the least it wasn't a pleasant feeling. "What was that?" he exclaimed aloud, as he checked his surroundings nervously. He waited tensely, but nothing else happened.

After few more minutes, he shrugged and resumed weeding. The event was forgotten in the flurry of chores that his uncle dumped on him, and when Harry went to bed that evening, he had no idea that his life was about to change radically.

Once the four occupants of Number Four Privet Drive settled in to sleep, silence descended on the house, broken only by the occasional creak or hoot.
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Somewhere in the middle of where these two dimensions met, a sinister power was growing. He stared out of his cold fortress.

"Two powers. So powerful. Two young ones are wishing." He said with a scary looking smile. "What do you think, Beetle?"

In the corner of the room a small boy, no more than six or seven stared out, loathingly.

"Yes," he whispered. It was a harsh and unfeeling sound, like he had lost his will long ago.

"Perhaps we shall teach them the dangers of wishing. What do you think Beetle?"

"No," the boy said.

"What was that?" the man said with a snarl.

"Yes, what you wish," the boy said with restraint.

"Get to it then," he said, and his colorless eyes filled with a sort twisted satisfaction. The boy, standing up from the corner, emerged from the shadows not a boy, but an old man, nearly 100. He moved toward the window. After a silent apology he did his work.

No one at neither Potter Mansion nor Privet Drive noticed the full moon glow a little brighter than it usually did. No one noticed how silent it got, how not even the wolves could howl. And no one noticed the gentle breeze that only came when two worlds collided.
Sign up to rate and review this story