Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Only a Doctor

Week Three: Interrogation of the Insanity. (Part One)

by chem_x

Week Three: Interrogation of the Insanity. Introduce the idea of the disease and the idea that it can be cured.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-09-20 - Updated: 2010-09-20 - 2011 words

?Blocked
Week Three: Interrogation of the Insanity.
“Do you Jared Joseph Leto so-swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth or so help you God?”
“I so swear.”
“Well Mr. Leto, tell us your side of the story.”
I looked up at Leonie, I had suffered her other selves recently but again I had gotten lucky, the most sane-seeming of them all sat in front of me in the court room, her eyes puffy and pink, “Well you see sir, I’m a therapist,” I began unsurely, knowing Leonie wouldn’t feel as close to me after this, but I needed to help her, I needed to. “I was assigned to Ms. Duke by her closest friend Samantha, in my programme I focus only on the one patient, getting to know them and then confront their problems with them.”
“This is why you were in Ms. Duke’s?”
“Yes, at that stage I was only entering the third week of the programme, when I heard Leonie screaming from the living room I instinctively ran out and saw, well,” I pointed at her brother as he stood by a well varnished wooden desk, he looked small compared to the courtroom. “And then I call the police, Officer Maldon showed up and now here we are.”
“Yeah should we take your story as word Mr. Leto?” The judged asked, peering down his nose at me as if I were only a silly child to him.
“In my files and notes, you’ll notice that there’s evidence that this has been happening for a long period.”
“Why couldn’t Ms. Duke, herself, come to the police?”
“Well, sir,” I gulped, looking her directly in the eye, “She suffers serious Borderline Personality Disorder, so serious, she doesn’t remember when she changes.”
I could feel more eyes on me than ever, the full attention of the court was on me, Leonie was shocked, crying, and unsure, no one had ever told her.
“That will be all Mr. Leto.”


She stood like a statue in front of me, “You’re lying, please are you?”
I shook my head and gestured her to sit down, we were back in her apartment, the scene of the crime. Days before Leo with the pout had been introduced to me, she wasn’t like the others at all, she looked at you but never spoke, never offered you anything, I heard her crying for hours that day. She stayed in her room so I could freely write up a diagnostic.
“Leonie, you have a serious problem, and I want to help you.” I said, speaking as gently as I could.
“They’re just my roommates Jared, I promise.”
“What’s their names?”
She went blank, it was like something was missing from her mind; I could see it in her eyes that she could feel it too.
“They’re just my roommates.”
I put my hand on top of hers, “I’ve been here for a week, and I’ve only seen you Leonie.”
“I wasn’t here yesterday,” She sighed, “Was here.”
“Leonie,” I looked her in the eyes again, “You haven’t named them yet, and you were, you sat in your room all day.”
“No… No… I was out with Sam! We… we went to the playground…” She argued, she looked mad, confused, and unhappy.
“No Leonie, it was just you here with me.” I said gently.
“You’re lying.” She sniffed.
“I wouldn’t lie to you Leonie.”
“You never told me I was your project.
“But I never said you weren’t.”
Patient is distraught about the information, in serious denial, intervention with the family is tomorrow, I can only hope that the better of her selves is with us.
No such luck…

“Who are you?!” She screamed; I held my hands up defensively, “GET OUT!!” She roared.
“Leonie! Leonie! It’s me, Jared! We talked about this Leonie; they’re coming to see you! I told you!” I shouted back, trying to calm her down, broken glass decorated our feet and liquids from the glasses covering the walls.
A quick knock on the door, I kept my back to the wall and slide my hand around the ball of the door handle. “Hello?” I gasped as Leonie glowered at me.
“It’s us Jared, we’re all here.”
I nodded and pulled the door open, shuffling in four people. Leonie froze, hating my guts, I could feel her sudden hatred, and it felt awful. “Leonie, what the hell are you doing?” Her father yelled at her.
She backed away suddenly, shrinking in size, running behind her sofa and cowering with another glass in hand. “Oh dear…” Her mother hushed, “Oh dear…”
“Can we all just take a seat?” I said calmly, inspecting them with my eyes.
A gruff nod was a yes but Samantha remained by my side, “I don’t like this.” She whispered.
I nodded slightly and flopped my arms by my sides, “Leonie, please sit down.”
“No.” She said, her voice was shaking, she was… frightened.
“Then will you come here and stand by me?” I asked calmly.
She gave an unsure look, she reminded me of a naïve child being introduced into a new culture. “Fine.” She grumbled, rushing to my side.
“Now, I’ve called you all here because we need to find the source of Leonie’s problem.”
“I have no problems.” She hissed.
I raised my eyebrow, “Yes you do Leonie; we all need to talk.”
“Yeah Leonie, we need to talk.” Marcus echoed mockingly.
She pulled in towards my side with a scowl, glaring at the people in front of her, her parents and her brother, Nathan was back in the slammer for what he had done. “Mr and Misses Duke; were you aware that Leonie was sexually abused as a child.”
“Yes.”
“No.”
The parents looked at each other, her mother had a face of shock of horror, “Wh- what?!” She demanded, her father looked resigned, like it was almost normal.
“Couldn’t ye tell Mags?” He said innocently.
She jumped from her seat and jumped by Sam’s side, “You monsters.” She cried.
Leonie grabbed my arm; she was trembling violently, “But Mags… We did it to you and you didn’t mind, don’tcha ‘member?” He laughed sickly.
“Get out!” Leonie began to scream, “Get out!”
“Leonie; calm down.” I whispered.
“I want them two demons out!” She roared, beating her fists off my chest, “Get them out Jared! Please!”
I didn’t think that moment, acting simply, pulling myself away from her and towards the two sick beasts on the sofa, “She wants you to leave.” I said through gritted teeth.
Her father looked at me smugly, “You want to fix ‘er son, why, some things just gotta stay broken.”
Marcus laughed beside him, I had heard that every patient he had ever had died on the surgery table but it was only now it appeared true. “Get. Out.” I demanded.
They rose from their seats slowly, hatred and smug in their eyes, behind me I felt Leonie sliding the glass from her hand into mine. The two were like hyenas waiting to pounce, a chattering laugh on their lips but they were blood thirsty. “Now boy, we didn’ wanna do this to ye.”
I stepped back, keeping my hand out defensively over Leonie and Sam, Mags was sobbing behind Samantha. “You ain’t never gonna see us after this I can assure you.” Her father mocked me, “You ain’t never gonna fix that piece of shit boy.” He laughed, sliding his hand into his pocket. Marcus laughed giddily, pulling something from his pocket. “You don’t want to do that.” I hissed through my teeth, pushing the girls further behind me, I could take Marcus but Leonie’s Dad was like a provoked bull, you could almost see the red in his eyes and the sweat on his brow.
“I’m gonna chop you up small son, and then I’m gonna deal with the girls there b’hind you.” He stepped towards me.
I pushed the girls a step back, Leonie clutching my arm tightly like she did before, I was determined to keep her safe. “You wouldn’t dare.” I spat at Mr. Duke.
The father and son laughed, they laughed like I had told them the funniest joke they’ve ever heard in their lives, “Son, I’m gonna finish you this time, and you ain’t wanna be running back again.”
Shove! Push! Pull! He was on top of me with a blunt looking blade closing around my neck, a howling laughter coming from Marcus as he chased the girls around the living room. “Get- off-” I panted kicking the old man off me. He hissed again, almost giggling at the fight back; a monster toying with its prey, I was right where he wanted me.
I smashed the glass Leonie had given me, holding it outstretched like a sword, I was never much of a combat fighter, but I had been trained in fencing by my own father. “Bring it on you cunt!” I shouted at him.
He held the blade tight; there was a white glint in his eye, the blade’s dull shine showing me it a million times. I felt suddenly surrounded, afraid, small, déjà vu attacking the back of my mind. My courage drained as he charged at me, I cowered, ducking down to the floor.
“Jared!” Leonie screamed, I opened my eyes quickly; Marcus was pushing down on her, tears and bloody showered across her pretty face.
“Leonie.” I whispered, becoming angrier, more instinctive, “Leonie!”
I pounced up on her father, slashing his arm, the blunt weapon of his scrapped across the side of my neck, both wounded and equally outraged. “You son of a bitch!” He cried, a fierce look crawling onto his temples.
He shoved me to the floor, kicking me side, it was sore. Over and over and over he kicked. I grabbed his foot to stop him, I felt tender, the skin on my stomach burned like I had been scalded. My hand attached to his foot, he hissed another laugh, my grip was tight around his brown steal-toe shoe, and the glass was pushing into my palm. “Jared!” Samantha screamed, leaping onto Duke’s back, pulling his hair, Marcus jumping onto her back, digging his finger-nails across her face, I pushed Duke’s foot up, he lost balance, Samantha toppled to the side, smashing her head off the wall, Maggie was shrieking in the corner but she was almost frozen, Leonie was silent. So silent. I couldn’t bear it.
I shuffled up and ran to her side, the wail, and light of sirens clear from the apartment window. “C’mon son.” Duke chuckled, forcing his leg into his wife’s side, her head dropping in pain.
The bang and clatter of running began, growing, growing, shrinking, shrinking. Silence was in the air. I hurried to Leonie’s side but she was out cold, “Leonie?! Leonie?!” I screamed her name, shaking her shoulders, her lifeless head bobbed from side to side.
“Jared?” Mags whispered, “Is- is- my baby- my baby!” She shrieked.
I shook my head and pulled her into my chest, throwing a glance to the slowly awakening Samantha, “What the fuck happened here?!” An officer stormed into the room, taking in the blood drenched walls and the blanket of shattered glass across the floor.
“They- they attacked us.” Mags cried, running over to Samantha and pulling her up. The girl’s face was sore and shattered, her nose crooked and blood clots between her teeth.
“Leon-ee? Is she ok-ay” She mouthed, inching her way over to me.
“We’ve got a 313 on Liberty Street.” The officer echoed into his walkie-talkie, gliding towards Sam and Mags, patting their heads as they cried and wailed, in shock and in fear. Hoping, praying to dear God that everything would be okay.
Sign up to rate and review this story