Categories > Original > Drama > Mrs. Cambridge's Home

Mrs. Cambridge's Home

by BrishtyStar11 0 reviews

Takes place in the 1930's. A homeless kid named Joey, meets and finds comfort with an old lady Mrs. Cambridge. She takes in the boy as her own. Joey feels a familiar vibe and is out to understand h...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-05-05 - Updated: 2006-05-05 - 789 words

0Unrated
Chapter 1


I walked down a long, frightening alley. I was looking for something to eat. I was so famished; I could barely hear my poor stomach growling begging for food. It wasn't just an ordinary day. Surprisingly a day in May turned out to be around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I checked the first garbage can; I found nothing but wrappers from a Mars Bars Candy Bar. Those were tasty, only tried them once though. Rarely do I ever find a penny or a nickel, but when I do, I head toward a grocery store, looking for some Mars Bars.

I walked on and on digging through the trash. I could hear the barks of dogs. Growling and growling.

"Shut-up you freakin dog!" I heard a woman yell.

The woman's probably from down south. That's how all the folks talk down there nowadays.

Before I could do anything, I looked up and water splashed on my head. I felt the chills of the misty liquid all over my body.

"Are you okay, child?" a lady asked up in the balcony of a building.

I didn't respond, I just shivered.

"You come up here now! The room is 5A!" shouted the lady.

I did as I was told.

The building was warm and comfy. I climbed up five floors and looked around for the letters. Finally I spotted 5A.
It was eerie how I had quickly gotten up to that spot, like I knew where I was going.
I knocked on the door.
The same lady answered.

"Oh child you're shivering! Do come in. I 'am sorry I was just drying my laundry." the old lady said.

The lady had short grayish hair. She had glasses on; it made her look somewhat familiar.

"Oh you poor child! Here have this blanket." The old lady said handing me a warm blanket.

"You remind me of someone. Your eyes.....they look just like someone's that I knew. Haven't talk to him for awhile." said the lady.

"I 'am Joey." I said waiting for her to shake my hand.

"Mrs. Cambridge" the old lady greeted me.

I wiped my face.

"Child you must be exhausted! Those hands! Where on earth have you been?" Mrs. Cambridge asked concerned

Like I was going to tell her I was picking the garbage, looking for food.

She led me into the bathroom where I washed my hands. I saw a huge tub. Haven't taken a long warm bath in weeks! I tried it on and took a nice bath. What a relief it was.

When I came back Mrs. Cambridge greeted me.

"Did you like the bath?" Mrs. Cambridge said smiling.

"I 'am sorry." I stuttered "I didn't mean too...I just haven't had one for a long time"

"No hard feelings. You must be hungry, here have some warm soup." Mrs. Cambridge said putting a bowl of soup on her table.

"Delicious soup ma'am." I said

"When was the last time you had a descent meal, Joey?" Mrs. Cambridge asked

"I can't remember." I said sipping the soup up.

Mrs. Cambridge had offered to wash my clothes. Generous enough of her to help me settle in. It wasn't to long until she asked the question.

"Where are your parents, child?"

I knew what a parent was. Those adults who looked after their kids, picked them up from school, washed their children. I couldn't remember having one though.

"Don't got any ma'am." I replied

"Don't have any." Mrs. Cambridge corrected me.
"Yeah." I said

"Are you a vagabond or something?" Mrs. Cambridge asked

"No, I just travel, since I got no family." I said.

Mrs. Cambridge giggled for a second; I didn't understand where she was getting to.

"Oh Joseph, your grammar needs work." Mrs. Cambridge sighed.

"I don't go to school." I explained "I call myself Joey"

"Why Joseph sounds more sophisticated" Mrs. Cambridge smiled

"How about you stay here for a few days, and we'll see what happens." Mrs. Cambridge offered.

"You sure ma'am?" I asked

"Absolutely, it becomes lonely around here." Mrs. Cambridge said.

"I can keep you company. I 'am really good at that." I insisted

"Oh dear Joey, you are remarkably funny." Mrs. Cambridge laughed

I didn't get it. Either I was going crazy, or this woman had a laughing problem.

Mrs. Cambridge had an old mattress. She said I could sleep on it. Something about that rather small mattress reminded me of something. It was too long ago to think about. Who knew if this was my imagination or if I had remembered something about my past. It was all too blurry for me to remember. Perhaps if I stay here, I might remember more. Yeah, that's what I 'am going to do.
Sign up to rate and review this story